“Excellent Resort ... definitely recommend it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe

You added Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez km 266.3 | Carretera a Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent Resort ... definitely recommend it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Our family of four (kids 16&17) loved this resort. We have no idea why anyone would write a negative review. Our check-in was quick and our room was clean and VERY spacious. We had the regular room (no upgrade) and could not have been happier! There were 2 double beds and 2 day beds. Great arrangement for our family.

The resort is so clean and the staff is very accommodating. The food was amazing for an all-inclusive. Our favorite places were the Rodizio and Toyko. The sushi was great! The buffets had so much variety and were maintained very well.

We recommend buying fish food at the gift shop (for $1) and take it out to the end of the pier. There are fish everywhere! The water bikes are great fun too.

We did the Swim with the Dolphins program right on-site and it was a good experience.

For those complaining about the WiFi, I can't comment because we don't worry about WiFi on vacation. We leave our phones in the safe and enjoy each other's company vs. dealing with phones/email, etc. I highly recommend it! It's great family time.

We definitely recommend this resort for families of all ages. Thanks Barcelo!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear Family Offour.

I have carefully read all your comments and first of all I want to thanks the time you took to write all your good experiences that you and your family lived, it is flattering to know you had a wonderful holiday.

Absolutely we have great facilities where all our guests enjoy a lot of them, like a beach more than a mile long with different areas with soft sand, rocks to snorkel and swim with great fish and turtles, large pools for adults and children with slides, a large variety of restaurants and bars, etc..

It is noteworthy that such comments greatly encourage all staff makes every effort to obtain the satisfaction of all our guests.

Thank you in advance for choosing us and I hope in the near future give us the opportunity to visit us again.

Barcelo Maya Palace

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Polish first
Putnam, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I just go back this morning from 7 night vacation to this resort and I had the best time! I have been to Cancun before as well and stayed on a decent resort, but this was so much better.

The ride from Cancun Airport to the resort took awhile (45 min), but it was worth it. Those drivers are crazy though lol.

The wi-fi isn't free! We paid $50 for a whole week and could only be on one device at a time. It needs to be FREE. $50 is outrageous.

Barcelo Maya Palace is HUGE. There are so many things to do and see.

Room: The room was so nice. We stayed in a Junior Deluxe Suite. We did a garden view, but it wasn't bad. We got to see some animals. We didn't sit out of the balcony much. We used it mainly for drying out towels, etc. We did wish we would have been able to get sun that shined on our balcony. The room was huge. Bed area, sitting area, two big closets with shelves and draws. The bathroom was amazing. The shower head was awesome as well.

Beach: The beach is absolutely beautiful. I wish there were more white soft sand. Most of the areas were pretty hard. The rocks were a pain in some areas. I ended up hurting one of my toes by the end of the vacation by hitting a rock that was covered by sand (wasn't in the water). Just watch were you are stepping. There are multiple spots to get into where there aren't any rocks though. The water is so clear I loved it. We seen multiple sea turtles just swimming around near all of us that were in the ocean. We seen baby swordfish and a baby sting ray as well. I think we might have seen a smaller shark as well. It didn't look like anything else but a shark. That was a little scary, but you are in an ocean so of course you are going to see different fish. The snorkeling was awesome too. You were allowed to rent the snorkel gear for a hr every day. They just told us to make sure the equipment was back to them by 3pm. We went once. They offer the equipment from 9am-3pm and you either have to put down a $50 deposit or put down a credit card. You get them back once you are done. We didn't have any issues. We did walk over to the pier to check it out. We didn't get in the water there, but we seen a ton of fish, but be careful because there was a lady who had to get dragged out of the water by about 8 lifeguards. I'm not sure what happened to her.

Pool: The pool water was so warm it wasn't refreshing at all. We didn't spend much time in it since my cousin and I are more of beach goers. On the plus side, the pool was huge so we didn't feel like we were cramped up on the side of everyone else. They played music over at the pool area too; American hip-hop.

Food: I have no complaints on the buffet food. I thought there was so much to chose from and I wasn't eating the same thing day after day. We did go to the steak restaurant, seafood restaurant, and the french restaurant. I thought the steak restaurant was by far the best one. The steaks were amazing! I don't eat seafood, but at the seafood restaurant they did offer some chicken which isn't listed on the menu that you could get as well.

Nightlife: The discotheque was a very fun time. They kind of sucked at making mojitos, but that's okay. The music was good and everyone had a fun time. We did go see one show (international). It wasn't too bad. They just sang songs and danced to different music from around the world. The lobby bar was nice too. They had AC and a lot of people tended to go there at night as well.

Spa: We had the relaxing massages in the U-spa because we figured it would be way too hot outside for a massage near the beach. We had Winny and Iliana and they did a fantastic job. I know I didn't want my massage to end.

Staff: The staff were so friendly and welcoming. The manager, Alejandro, at the restaurants and the buffets knew us after our first night there as the troublemakers and called us that every time he seen us.. It was funny.

Room Tip: We were in the Oaxaca building way in the back room 8922. I would recommend upgrading to the Club Pr...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Mr. Brandy.

I have carefully read all your comments and I want to first thank you for the time you took to write all your good you had during your visit.

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future.

montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We booked two rooms in the Club Premium. This was 4 women and 4 kids- under 6. Rooms were beautiful. Very clean! We over looked the pool. Nice for the person who got to sit on deck while the little ones napped:) Nice touch at the buffet for the kids.... lower section with food they liked. The water park.... they loved! Wanted to be there and play all day.
Beach is rough on the feet, but still walkable. Feeding the fish at the pier was fun.
Have to say, one of the best resort, I have stayed at.
Thanks Barceló!

Dear Mrs. Friendsun.

On behalf of all the staff I would like to thank you for the time you took to write these comments.

About our facilities, we are honored to know that we could make your stay a memorable moment, and we hope you can be like came back to this hotel.

Thank you for contacting us through of TripAdvisor.

Barceló Maya Palace
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Let me start off by giving you a few pieces of pre-booking advice. You should consider the "Club Premium" a couple of families in our group upgraded and I wish we would have. From air conditioned check in to free room service to primo room location, the club premium amenities had us wishing we could go back in time a re-book.

In addition to club premium, you should check into your resort credits before arriving at the hotel. We had a $400 room credit, but we waited to upgrade when we arrived to no avail. If you have room upgrade credits, contact the resort or your travel agency to get that taken care of before you arrive.

Check In:

Word to the wise, try to arrive during the week. Check in can be lengthy, but we arrived on a Wednesday and we had no problem. Others in our group arrived on Friday, and unless they were club premium, they had to wait upwards to an hour. Club premium checkin is in a nice air conditioned private lounge while the lobby is nice it is HOT! The lobby is open air, so get ready to sweat.

Couple of other tid-bits of information: If you arrive before 3pm, your room will probably not be ready (we were lucky, but I think it was only because we were getting married). No worries if you are club premium, you will get right in. BOOK a la carte restaurants immediately after check in---DO NOT WAIT. This was a mistake that we made that you shouldn't. Reservations feel up fast so book early,

Restaurants/Buffett:

I have to say the a la carte restaurants are amazing, so again book your reservations when you arrive. We were only able to go to the French, Caribe, and Brazilian Steak House, but every meal was fantastic. The buffet were good, but if you good after they have been open a while the food quality declines. Our best experience in the buffet was when we arrive right when they opened for service. We walked down to another resort and tried a buffet---stay at the palace if you are eating a buffet.

Rooms:

Humid. We felt like we were in a stale sauna most of the time. It wouldn't have been so bad, but every time you leave the room the electricity cuts off. Once we returned the humidity set back in, and we played that game the whole trip. Club premium guests need not to worry. The rooms are nice with all the necessities you would expect. The bathroom shower and tub were really nice. Our room was a bit loud, but I think it was because we were in a room the had an entry to the next room. I talked with others in our group, and no one else had noise complaints. The bed was hard, and you guessed it, club premium guests even have softer beds. My step-mother was able to get a mattress topper, but it took a couple of days and numerous trips to the front desk.

Beach:

Amazing! I snorkeled a little bit and it saw schools of fish and turtles. My brother in law saw a stingray. This was just in front of the palace. The real snorkeling is at the end of the resort, so I could only imagine what that was like.

Pools:

Amazing! Pool side chairs are hard to come by, but keep looking and you will find one. The kids pool area was awesome. Our two-year-old was in heaven. If you have older children, make sure to check out the other kids' pool because it has larger slides. The only complaint about the main pool was the swim up bar--it smelled like sewage. The adults only pool was bliss, we rented a cabana, and it is was quiet, relaxing.

A couple of closing thoughts: This place is hugh, so get ready to walk. If you don't mind walking don't wait for the trolley. It only takes a few minutes to walk to the other resorts. If you are going to buy something, go to the other resorts (they have a main shopping center--things are cheaper). Massage was awesome (don't forget to get your resort credit coupon book when you check-in).

Room Tip: Club Premium--it is worth the money.
Dear Mrs. Teachernick

I have carefully read your comments and it is a pleasure to know that your holiday with us was amazing.

It is important for us to know your feedback thanks to them makes us constantly improve

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This was our 9th all inclusive resort overall, and 5th all inclusive in Mexico, but our first traveling with kids (we previously stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso del Mar and Paraiso Beach, Catalonia Royal Tulum, and Bahia Principe). Our family of 5 (kids ages 8, 6 and 5) just returned after an 8-day stary.

We all had a GREAT TIME! If you're a family of 5 or more, you know that it's difficult to find an all inclusive that will accomodate the whole family in one room (In fact, I'll never stay at another Iberostar again, after a manager at one of the resorts refused to accomodate us, even in a suite, insisting that we get 2 room, without providing a guarantee of adjoining room).

Our room was well appointed, with two double beds and two day beds, which were large enough for the kids. While the double beds were quite hard as other reviewers have stated, they weren't uncomfortable and the bedding was of very good quality.

We also found the food to be of very good quality, on par with The Iberostar Grand resorts. Whereas there was some repetition, we didn't mind, because there was so much to choose from. In fact, we decided to skip the restaurants, after having visited the Tokyo, which was just OK, although other guests had good things to say about the other restaurants.

There are a lot of things that we love about this resort, including the GORGEOUS beach, AMAZING pool, and fun waterpark (which the kids LOVED). But the absolute hit for all of us was the opportunity to swim with the dolphins with their onsite dolphinarium. The $99 package (per person) is a good value, and you should absolutely do it if that's affordable for you.

Also, YES, this is a HUGE resort. The largest of any that we've stayed at, and I prefer large resorts. Be prepared to walk. A LOT. If you forsee that to be a problem, I suggest you look elsewhere. If you're comfortable with walking but you're traveling with young children, I would call the hotel ahead of time and ask for a room closer to the beach/waterpark. I called the day before and it was too late for them to change the room assignment, but they were able to change our room on the 3rd day, and it made a huge difference.

My biggest disappointment was the fact that the staff didn't seem as interactive and accomodating as we found in other Mexican resorts. It almost seemed like they were given instruction to steer away from interacting with the guests. Nonetheless, this did not deter from our overall positive impression of this resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the beach / waterpark
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Mrs. Roz-robin.

Thank you for contacting us through TripAdvisor.

Barceló Maya Palace
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

11 family members, ages 3 to 77 went in early June. We had 3 days of rain which was annoying, but the resort is well equipped for the annoyance. They have covered walkways, nice sitting areas in the lobby area, air conditioned restaurants and theatre and the rooms are big with a sitting area. The food was excellent though I would have preferred having more Mexican food available. Beach was ok, but since we had a storm was hard for me to evaluate. I am used to an amazing beach in Akumal which is hard to beat. Loved the pools. I am a Masters swimmer so the lap pool was excellent and I seemed to be the only one who likes to swim in the morning. The main pool is huge and a lot of fun. We went to the kids pool a few times and it is fantastic. We never swam in the adult only pool but took a look. Staff and facilities excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mrs. Keikeimah

We have carefully read your comments and we are pleased to know you had a very enjoyable holiday in this place,

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We spend 6 nights at the BMP last week. We had our kids (11 & 8) and my parents. Everyone loved it and we would return!
The beach is one of the best we have been to simply for the ability to have perfect swimming areas right next to such amazing snorkeling! We saw turtles right in front of the resort almost every day along with tons of fish and some gorgeous coral out by the buoys. I do wish they had drink service on the beach. Not a huge deal but after states at several resorts with beach butlers you get spoiled to it.
The food was all good. A few things we didn't care for on the buffets but there were plenty of other options. The Brazilian and French restaurants were both great! Amazing service and food. The Mexico Lindo was just ok. Especially for the hype it gets. Food was ok and service was extremely slow! It took over 2 hours.
We stayed in a club premium Jr. Suite in the Oxaca building. The rooms are gorgeous and large. My only complaint would be that the beds are hard. I would love to see them upgrade the mattresses. Upgrading to Club Premium is worth it for the location alone. We were 30 seconds from the beach and maybe 20 from the pool.
The pool is huge and beautiful but since we were there the end of July the pool was VERY warm. We only got in it to let the kids swim for a while after dinner and it was not at all refreshing. Not a huge deal for us since we are beach people anyway.

Room Tip: Book Club Premium if your budget will allow. Not only will you get a better room location but you g...
Dear Mrs. Weaver.

Absolutely we have great facilities where all our guests enjoy a lot of them, like a beach more than a mile long with different areas with soft sand and swim with great fish and turtles, large pools for adults and children with slides, a large variety of restaurants and bars, etc.

Barcelo Maya Palace

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!