“BEST VACATION EVER!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez km 266.3 | Carretera a Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“BEST VACATION EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed at the Palace from June 7th -12th. There were 8 of us total. It was me, my wife and 3 kids (5,7 & 18), my brother in law and my parents. We celebrated our 10th Anniversary and our daughter's 7th birthday while we were on the resort and the concierge Jazmin made our stay even more memorable by booking a massage, having our room decorated with balloons and a HAPPY BDAY banner, and also by having a cake delivered to our table at dinner.

We booked it 200+ days out so I was reading ALL of the reviews leading up to our stay and I have to say that all of the people that leave poor reviews probably wouldn't be happy wherever they stayed.

CHECK IN: I was worried most about this since everyone expressed some level of frustration. Sorry if everyone else's checkin process sucked. Ours was pretty great. We were able to walk right up to the front desk as we had a private transfer from the airport and were the only ones arriving at the time. We had planned to upgrade to the CLUB PREMUIM rooms to be closer to the beach, but my dad decided to grease the wheels of our check in process with a $20 bill. "Anything you can do to make this process easier and our stay better would be greatly appreciated" BOOM! She moved our room from the MICHOACAN building to the OAXACA on the 3rd floor rm 8650 and 8656. Pool view. Quiet. 2 minutes from everything. She also slapped the Club Premium bracelets on us so we wouldn't have to worry about towel cards at the pool. We still had to pay for Wi-Fi and room service (which we didn't use), but the great location was worth it.

GROUNDS: This place is huge! Lots of walking. My Dad has bad knees and we talked him into renting a scooter from a company (Cancun Accessible) out of PDC. Best money he spent he says. If you are traveling here with anyone with mobility issues, you should consider this option.
As an added bonus, he was hauling my kids around most of the time. plus, every time he stood up to walk away from it we would act surprised and yell, "YOU CAN WALK?!!?" :)

WEATHER: The forecast leading up to our stay said 90% chance of thunderstorms for the entire vacation. I think I felt 3 raindrops during that whole time, and it rained ironically on the shuttle ride back to the airport. Even if it had rained we wouldn't have cared too much.

FOOD: The HACIENDA and MIRADOR buffets in the main Palace complex were much better than the lunchtime beach buffets on the next two resorts. The food at the buffets is mostly mass produced and tends to get repetitive after a couple days but you can always find something to eat. Have some Kahlua in your coffee and a beer with your omelet and chill out already people. You're on VACATION.. act like it!

We ate at the MARENOSTRUM (seafood) and the KYOTO (hibachi style) at one of the sister resorts. Both were very good and I would recommend.
We also ate at the CARIBE and RODIZIO (Brazilian) on the Palace side and they were exceptionally good. Make sure you ask for the "Mayan Coffee" wherever you eat. It is a fiery show that isn't on the menu. Be sure you tip if you order it, because they are sure to have to do it 10 more times if the rest of the place sees your show.

BEACH: Just plain amazing. Seriously, if you complain about ANYTHING on this beach you should probably punch yourself in the face and/or stay home. We saw all manner of fish, turtles and other wildlife. My daughter stubbed her toe and stepped on a piece of sharp rock that upset her for about 3 minutes, but she got right over it because we were in PARADISE ! We made the walk and swam off the pier too, but spent more time in the surf on the Palace side.

ROOMS: Sure, the beds are harder than I like. we would just have a couple beers before bed and tended to get over it. Staff kept the beds made and the fridge stocked. AC worked fine the whole time.

THINGS WE SPENT EXTRA $ ON:

SPA: We celebrated out 10 year anniversary of being married in Mexico on the 9th. Treated ourselves to the Couples Relaxing Massage and loved it. 80 minutes flew by faster than we wanted. I would spend that $ again in a heartbeat.

SWIMMING WITH DOLPHINS: 5 of us did the $99 swim. If my young daughters hadn't been with us we would have skipped it, but we are glad we decided to swim with them. Memories were made. Bought 3 pics of the kids for a whopping $75. They get you with the pics but like I said.. it was more about the memories than anything else.

WI-FI: Was $14/day. I was only ever able to get on with my phone in the room. Tried a few times in the lobby when I was bored, but what the heck do I need WIFI in the lobby for? Am I here on business? If so, this might not be the right resort. I might not spend the money for Wifi again. I could go either way.

THE ONE NEGATIVE THING: The bracelets, where they fold over and snap closed, are sharper than hell. My son was horsing around in the pool and tore a 6 inch long, 1/8th inch wide chunk of skin off my daughter's leg with his bracelet. It was a cleanly excised piece of flesh that will turn into a lifetime scar she will have fond memories of, which she also promptly got over because we were in paradise.

All told, we all agree that this was the best vacation any of us had ever been on. We WILL be returning, hopefully sooner than later.

Don't listen to all the negative reviews. Book NOW! I wish we were.

Room Tip: 3rd floor in the Oaxaca bldg was great. Tip the front desk staff during checking. It might pay off!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Evlbob,

Thank you very much for your comments and your preference. Please accept an apology for the inconvenience with the bracelet, I hope your daughter is doing good.

It would be a pleasure to host you again in the future.

Best Regards,

Gerente General

2,326 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This our 3rd time to the Palace. Visited June 9-17, 2014. It was just as awesome as I remembered it. We were last there in 2009. We were there with another couple celebrating our weddings anniversarys. They had never been before and they thought it was great as well.
Where to start;

PROS: Just about everything. Rooms always clean, minibars stocked, maintainence for a/c arrived within 5 minutes of being called. Also requested new batteries for remote, I swear they were there before I hung up the phone.

Resturants are all wonderful, the buffets can become routine after staying so long, but we never went away hungry. We did the ala cartes every other night and it was all wonderful. We liked them in the following order: French, best food and service ever; Brazilian, lots of choices, good food and service; Koyto at the Tropical, they cook it in front of you and the food is good; lastly is the Caribe seafood at the palace, I only put it last because I don't eat seafood but went with my seafood loving family. I really thought they'd have several non-sea options but that was not the case.

Snorkling and diving were wonderful. We saw rays, fish and turtles out front of place.
Dive center was exceptional and made you feel every safe. I would also highly recommend that you take a dive/snorkle trip thru them to Cozmel. It is out of this word.

Entertainment was plentiful during the day, and a nice show to end your day.

Bars were all wonderful, they could make most anything.

CONS: The beds, they where so hard You couldn't sleep. Beach chairs would've been more comfortable. HOWEVER, that being said it's not bad enough to keep me from back, I'll just by an egg crate at Walmart in PDC. I also heard that they are replacing the beds so next time it probably won't even be an issue next time.

We always. Have a good time here and will be back as soon as we can.
Also heard they were building a bowling alley, adults only building, a casino and more, can't wait!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guests,

Thank you very much for your preference! Every day we strive to provide the best service to our guests. It will be a pleasure to serve you once again and surprise you with more changes .

Receive warm regards,

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Let me summarize the pros and cons of this property and then if you are interested, read further through:

PROs: Great beach, good variety of things to do, very good kids facilities/entertainment, good on-property shopping options
CONs: Below average food (even for an all-inclusive), Inattentive service
RECOMMEND (Y/N?): I probably won't stay here again. Families with small children may want to give this hotel a look.

The Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe is one of five properties that are operated adjacent to each other in Puerto Aventuras, which is about an hour's drive south of Cancun airport. This hotel is the northern-most of the five properties and is marketed as the "premium" option among the hotels. For ground transfers, we used Entertainment Plus, which made things very easy with direct online booking and payment. Your total roundtrip should be in the $150 range for a private transfer for a family.

Initial impression not great. Took almost 30 minutes to check in. I get that you won't check in as fast here as a business hotel, but it required the staff approximately 20 minutes to check in each family. Everything required them to go into the back office....even stapling items!

Room was decent. Air conditioning was good and furnishings are average. The beds themselves are not very comfortable. A small mini-bar with beverages and a few snacks that is re-supplied was available. Bathrooms/shower and amenities were good.

The infrastructure of the property, the pool areas, dining, etc are very good. There are pools designated for small children, there is a sport pool for water polo/basketball, an adults-only pool and a large general use pool that has the usual swim-up bar. Drinks are served poolside but dining is not offered there which I found unusual. In fact, the only place outside of the restaurants on the entire property (and room service) where you can eat is in front of one of the walk-up bars and you are charged additional for being served food here. You are also charged for room service, which is different than most other premium all-inclusives.

The beach is actually one of the best I have visited in Cancun. The property is centered around a beach with very soft, almost white sand which is bordered on edges of the property by shallow coral reefs. You can walk out almost a quarter of a mile in the beach section and still keep your head above water.

Kids activities are numerous with Dolphin experience on property (advance res required) and after-dinner shows that allow children to show off their singing and dancing skills.

However, all of this could not compensate for what is, even by all-inclusive standards, a pretty horrible food offering. Not that there was any lack of food---in fact, there were two entire buffet halls---but no matter what we selected it just was poor quality or taste. Even the Mexican food was lacking. So after several days, our kids were eating hamburgers at almost every meal and we were eating whatever basic plate that could be cobbled together. The only passable meal we had was at their French restaurant, with some of the meat dishes having flavor.

The drinks at the bar were not especially great either. I could see that they did stock some premium liquor, but by lunch-time all of those bottles were gone and they were producing cocktails with local brands of vodka, rum or whatever else. Safest option was to stick with beer.

Also, a lot of things that Premium all-inclusives include in the rate are not here. This includes room-service dining, pool-side dining and wireless access.

Overall, I would definitely not recommend this hotel for singles or couples. This is potentially a decent offering for families with children. However, while the hotel bills itself as a "Deluxe" property, this is a four-star hotel at best with three-star food/beverage, four-star infrastructure and a five-star beach.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear nycflyer,

We appreciate your feedback. The hotel has generally very good acceptance for singles, couples and families, we regret that your stay was not to your liking.

Yours Sincerely,

Customer Service
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Before booking our trip to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe I read all of the reviews so I thought I would share my thoughts so that others considering this hotel can get a better idea of what to expect.

This was our fourth time vacationing in Mexico and each time we have stayed at a different resort. This was by far the best resort we have stayed at. After reading all the reviews on this hotel I was scared about the beds, the check-in process, extra charges showing up on my visa bill, bad service, etc. To my suprise we had the best experience...here are my thoughts!

Check-in:

This process this did take a little while but to be honest I don't understand all the complaints and how they could make this process any faster. They take the time to fill out all the paper work, get the necessary signatures, provide you with bracelets, provide an overview of the resort and give you all the information you need to make your stay comfortable. I think if they rushed through this process I would have a problem! So needless to say the check-in process was fine, just be patient...your in paradise...have a drink while you wait!

Rooms:

The rooms were beautiful and big. Some of the complaints were noisy hallways and hard beds...I have to agree. We had a 1.5 year old with us and we stayed on the main floor. During day time naps I would have the tv on to help tune out some of the hallway noise. As for the hard beds...there is not much you can do!

Food:

We didn't get a chance to go to any of the resturants but the buffet was excellent. Great selection of food. Towards the end you start to get a little tired of buffet food but thats with any resort. They always had plenty of sea food, salads, pizza, etc. There were never ever any empty trays. They even had a lobster night which was great. The servers are all very friendly and provided great service.

Grounds:

I have to say I was shocked at how clean this resort was. There was not a speck of dust anywhere. It was quite impressive. Workers were always busy cleaning, mopping, sweeping, trimming, etc.

Pools:

The splash/water slide pool for the kids is amazing here. It felt like everywhere you looked there was a pool. It was clean and the swim up bar was wonderful. Lets just say there is enough to do at the pools to keep you busy all day whether your a kid or an adult.

Beach:

Beautiful beach with lots of chairs. In my many years in mexico I have never seen so many people in the ocean.

Wifi:

I do wish this was free but sadly it was not. I paid about $55 for a week of wifi. I did find that i could us it everywhere on the resort though so it paid off.

Feed the fish:

You can buy fish food at the gift shop by the pool for about $1.50 (US Dollar) per bag. Buy a couple bags and head down to the pier and feed the fish. Its an amazing experience. There a hundreds of fish that fight over the food.

The only other negative that really isn't the fault of the hotel would be the 1.5 hour drive from the airport to the resort. After a six hour flight the 1.5 hours seems like forever...but it was worth it!

Overall i would have to say we really enjoyed our time at this resort. This would be the resort we would return to every year. It provides enought to keep the youngest to the oldest busy and happy.

Dear S.R.

Thank you very much for your preference, it is nice to know that this hotel has been one of your best experiences.

I read each of your comments about the rooms, food, gardens, beach, pools, etc. which are very important to us and especially thank you for your understanding of the checking in process, your comments are very accurate.

The Wifi service has an additional cost; as an improvement we have recently installed Wifi coverage in Plaza Mexican and perhaps in the future we will have more changes.

Once again thank you for your loyalty and your comments, we hope to serve you soon.

Yours Sincerely,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Pros:
- staff was very friendly minus the front desk when you have a problem.
- beach was great

Cons:
- no AC in our room for 4 days. Nothing was done to resolve this.
- phone in our room didn't work and when they replaced it, it still didn't work.
- buffet food was mediocre at best.
- walk from our room to the lobby was 15 minutes.
- people reserved chairs around the pool and in the shade and never even used them all day. We needed up going to the beach resort to get chairs around the pool.

I would honestly stay at the Beach or Tropical resort next time. The grounds and pools were just as nice and it wasn't as busy. I wouldn't call this a 5 star resort when you have to sleep on your air mattress and towels because the beds are honestly like rocks unless you upgrade your room!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Beachgirl198411,

Thank you very much for your feedback a please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience caused during your stay.

We are very sorry that you had a problem with your air conditioner; perhaps there was some unexpected situation.

In relation to the food, we have a great varied and generally have very good acceptance, we regret that it was not to your liking.

With regard to the beach chairs, is not permitted to reserve spaces but unfortunately some guests do not respect this rule.

Regarding the beds, we have softeners in case guests request them.

Best Regards,

Rapid City, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Recently, we againhad an amazing opportunity to stay at this resort. This is our 3rd trip to the Palace. It did not disappoint. The staff is 1st rate and cordial. We were especially impressed with our waiter, Fernando, in the French restaurant. His attention to detail was unsurpassed. Great job, Fernando.

One downside--the restrooms by the pool are potentially dangerous. Water on tile makes for a very, very slippery surface. We slipped many times. It could be corrected easily by using more of the rug placed at the entrance.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Estimado Broncos Fan_12,

Once again it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay and the attention of our staff, please consider Barceló as your second home and be assured that you comments have been considered.

Have a wonderful day!!!

Best regards,

Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

This a very honest Review.

Pros

Friendly Staff
Nice Pool
Very nice Installations
Food is Good
High end Bottles. Black label, Buchanans, etc

Cons

Expensive WiFi @ 13 dollars per day and signal is as weak as it can get.
Very Hard beds, back still aching a bit
A/C was bad in all the four rooms we got, called lobby never fix it. Hard to sleep when you are sweating
Ants in the rooms, again called lobby and they never came. you have to sleep with ants in your sheets.
My biggest problem was I was told I would get 3000 points towards spa, excursions, private dinners etc. when I show up to the hotel I get nothing but some coupons that I was not able to use, very disappointing
Also beware they charge for room service and they have no free international calls like all the other hotels in Cancun do. So beware to leave your credit card open as they want you to because when you check out you will have a surprise bill.

I'm sorry to say but I will not be going back to this place ever again. I felt cheated after paying more than $8000.00 for 4 rooms and not getting my moneys worth

Room Tip: Go to another hotel or resort,
Dear Mr. Omar M.

We regret that you have taken a bad image of service; generally we receive very good comments however your feedback is very important to us, as it help us to constantly improve.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience during your stay.

Best regards,

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!