“Beautiful resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez km 266.3 | Carretera a Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Albany, New York
“Beautiful resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

This was by far one of the best all inclusive resorts I have ever stayed in. The beach was beautiful, the rooms were immaculate and the food was terrific. The service was great and everyone was very friendly and eager to make sure that the guests were having a great time. Would return to this resort again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Staying in a building a little bit further from the pool and beach was a more relaxing since it was...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Des129 thank you very much for choose us and for your feedback on Trip Advisor, your comments are very important for us. Your comments help us to improve the service and to give the best service to our guests.

Best Regards From Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe.

2,297 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Nothing but problems! Lets get started. We booked on their website that claims to offer all these extras. But just try and get them! Once they have your money, your requests are ignored and you are put off.
1)First we had difficulties getting the discounts using promo codes online. We called the customer service and they simply had explanations that they did not honor discounts when there was any kind of flash sale price, etc. That is not how promos are explained though. OK.
2)Then we were supposed to get a ride from airport. We emailed to get instructions and followed them as much as they requested, and that got missed somehow. We ended up getting our ride to Barceló from the Iberostars shuttle with one of their clients.
3)When we got there, they said they were moving us to another hotel down the beach. Was despite the fact that we paid in advance to have our hotel room secured in the "Tropical" Bldg.with the other family members of the wedding party. We insisted and they got our room for us. No welcome gifts as promised. And we had a premium room which included fast check-in. It took 50 minutes because computers were down. OK. (We stayed 5 days at tropical and the last two days at the Palace).This was good compared to check-in at the Palace. That took over 4 hours! They were swamped with a convention and had no plan on how to deal with people all at once. By suppertime,(and we waited in different lines sine 11:30 a.m.) we decided to go eat if they would give us our wristbands. Our room was still not ready.
4) And yes, they give people these 2000 dollar resort credit books. We tried to use them and there was an excuse every time! A 400 dollar room upgrade was not once honoured for anyone in our large group. "they said there's no upgrade room available. Well there was some people in line that told us they got upgraded without a coupon from a cheaper hotel room. And one member of our group who stayed only 3 or 4 days got an executive type suite upgrade without even asking, They apparently wanted him to promote their hotel.
5) Try using the 20.00 coupon for taxi ride into Cancun airport. They gave out extra copies of those. Why? Because the fare they quoted me was 123.00. With 20 off it comes to 103.00. But we called Entertainment plus (USA) in Cancun and they took us all in a van for 70.00. (60.00 each way if you book round trip.) Then the concierge at Barceló suggested other ride services were unsafe without even knowing who we called. Entertainment Plus is SAFE and highly recommended. Barceló treats people poorly!
6) There were grandparents who booked premium oceanfront near the restaurants and activities because they have mobility and health issues. The reception suggested it was too noisy there and downgraded their room to a standard that was located a long walk from everything. (No price adjustment either.)They took advantage of these seniors! One had a quadruple bypass and the other had knee and leg problems. What kind of people do this to seniors!? Really?
7) We had copied all documents of rooms we ordered online and all of the free goods and services that we were promised. We gave that to the hotel on check-in. (They should have had it online in their booking system. But they conveniently lost it. They never lost my credit card info though! ) Good thing I kept it on my emails so I could get another copy. But To do that they made me pay to use the internet services to get copies of the documents they lost. SCAM
8) I was supposed to get this welcome gift of a bottle of champagne and some desert snacks, We actually did get that on our last night there. I had to complain about 4 times. But I will say the concierge carried through on his promise to get this for us. I believe they try hard o get things done for you. But,I ask workers about the situation and they said they have fewer staff to take care of more people than before. Its harder to keep up to all that they are expected to do. Talked to "regulars" at pools and beaches. One couple said this is their 6th year coming. They said they noticed a big drop in service last year and now again this year.

**Barcello versus Royal Resorts**
Bottom line is we thought this might be how things operated in Mexico. But We moved into Cancun and stayed at "The Royal Caribbean" for one third the price and were treated EXCELLENT! They manage everything so well and could teach Barcello a thing or two about running a resort! They have ways to handle people a their entrance when lots of people arrive. They re-allocated staff to different areas when needed. They have a checklist of things they go over with you in expedient manner. And you keep the list! They give you contact info and a checklist for items in your room. They accommodated us quickly with luggage to rooms. (Barcello could not do this without hours of time.) The bell boys arranged on the spot for us to get a ride to airport 2 days ahead at 4 in the morning. The concierge found us the best deals so we did not overpay. WE went on the Black Pearl/Joy Roger pirate ship dinner. Kids under 12 were free! It was a blast. They also had a taxi fare list from their hotel to different tourist attractions. This way you knew how much you had to pay for taxi before you left.
In the room (which they upgraded to a villa), there was a book of resort tips. This book included things like the beaches, safe swimming, tipping, where and when to get things like beach towels and equipment. Rooms had plenty of space and pristine cleanliness. All seemed to have ocean view and designed to centre around the pools and restaurants.They even had a garden market grocery store onsite. What a great idea! All the info is there for you so you don't have to call them unnecessarily.
When I compare the "Royal Resorts" to Barcello, I give the Royal Resorts a 5/5. I will return to try out Royal Islander, Royal Sands and Royal Haciendas in the future. They are all run very well. You can enjoy your holiday right away instead of waiting in lineups for hours just to get checked-in or get them to honour their supposed inclusions.

Room Tip: Beds are better if you book club premium.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Guest

I am very sorry you had a bad impression of our service, so I offer you a sincere apology.
I have carefully read each of your comments and I am amazed how many inconveniences you had during your stay.

We know that there can always be mistakes but we are always in the best availability to serve them and get the satisfaction of each of our guests.

To answer in a more objective way please, we would need to send us more information; Reservation name, dates of your stay and room number to the following address; secdireccionpalace@barcelomaya.com

Thank you for taking your time to send us your comments, which they are important to improve our service day by day.

Receive cordial greetings

Barceló Maya Palace
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Palace Resort for 2 weeks beginning of May 2014. This was by far the most beautiful and biggest resort we have been to.

The rooms are immaculate! Big, beautiful, and always clean. If something is wrong with your room they will come and fix it right away. I would suggest, however, to ask for a room closest to the beach as possible (8500's). We stayed in the 8900's (which was quite a walk) and the bed was hard as rock (like most other reviews), We had a leak in our bathroom ceiling so they gave us a new room in the 8500's and the beds are completely different. Much more comfortable!

The beach is beautiful however it is VERY rocky. There are only certain areas where you can safely walk into the ocean without touching a rock. I definitely recommend bringing water shoes. If you love snorkelling then this resort is for you. The snorkelling right off the beach is awesome! The fish will swim with you and the coral is really cool. If you don't like snorkelling then I would recommend finding another location.

The shows we're cool but they have the same ones every week. If you are staying for 2 weeks try and visit various theatres (in the Tropical & Colonial) for different shows. The food in the buffet was okay. I expected more but as long as they had guacamole I was good. The a-la-carte restaurants however were phenomenal. Our favourite was the French (Brasserie) and the seafood (Caribe). Pleaseee book a-la-carte restaurants they are amazing. Since you are staying at the Palace you are allowed to book a-la-carte restaurants at all 4 other resorts. We tried 7 or 8 different restaurants and they are all very good! If you want to go to the Japanese restaurant that has a cooking show, it is NOT the one in the palace it is the one in the Colonial or Tropical (Kyoto). Reserve days in advance because it sells out quickly and you will be stuck eating at 9:30pm.

Overall I definitely recommend this resort to anyone, especially those who love snorkelling! We had an amazing time for 2 weeks and it was hard to head back home.

Room Tip: Oaxaca building is quieter. Ask for a NON-adjoining room and a room in the 8500-8600's.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear Lave0118
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for you comments and you preference!

Kind Regards.
Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe.
Minnetonka, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed here for a week in early April 2014 with my two kids (7 and 10) and some extended family including grandparents and pre-school age kids. We had a wonderful visit and I would strongly recommend this for families.
The Palace is the highest tier in their all-inclusive hotels and pool space, rooms, and beaches were all spacious and very well maintained. The kids pool area was much bigger than I expected and easily entertained kids ages 3-10 in our group. They also had a lifeguard on duty there which was a nice touch. The snack bar stays open most of the day and had plenty of hamburgers, hot dogs, chips and guacamole and other kid friendly favorites. The larger pool had a big swim up bar and the bartenders were friendly and helpful with our young kids. Chocolate milkshakes at the swim up bar became a favorite activity. The beach in front of the hotel was fairly protected and occasionally the water was calm enough to let even the littlest kids splash around in the surf.
We ate at a number of the restaurants at the site and overall the food was fine. Not spectacular but certainly good enough to please our group.
*Spring Break: We were there over spring break and there were many families there with high school and college age kids. I thought the hotel did a nice job of keeping those kids happy but also keeping them separated from the families with young kids. The pool areas are very big so the hotel can be blasting music and kids can be playing drinking games on one end while we can happily spend the day at the other end and barely know they are there. We spent one day at the pool by the Tropical/Colonial and they seemed to have a much bigger and rowdier spring break crowd there but again the hotel kept them all together on one side of the huge pool. I was very comfortable being there with my kids. Kudos to the resort for walking a fine line on that!

Room Tip: For families with young kids I'd recommend something fairly close to the pool. We stayed on the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Annabelle 76.
Thank you very much; we appreciate your comments, since they help us to constantly improve.

Greeting from Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I went with my husband to attend a wedding and left the kids at home. It actually would have been a great place with the kids because the children pools are pretty awesome. Multiple slides straight and tubular curved ones too, shallow water, sprinklers, play houses, etc. If you are bringing children under 6, I highly recommend a stroller or mode of transportation because you will end up walking a lot if your room is far away.

The main pool and secondary pool are pretty awesome and complete with pool bars. The pool is very large and has shaded cabanas and chairs in the water. The bartenders at the pool and other bars were great. They had a wide range of expected frozen drinks and Modelo (regular and dark) and Corona beers on tap. They had well stocked bars with various recognizable names. For tequila - lots of types but Herradura, Don Julio and hotel brand were always around.

The front desk service leaves something to be desired. Upon arrival, there was a 35 minute wait to get to the front desk and then the room they gave us was 4 buildings away from the rest of the wedding party. In addition, I did have to wait until 3pm to check in for my room to be ready which meant getting back in the long line again to check on my status. You have to pay roughly $10/day for wifi (discounts for 4 days or more etc.) and it only works in your room or lobby but not around the resort. In addition, you can't sign up for it at the front desk and have to go to lobby computer room where it took me 4 tries before the line was less than 10 people and it moved very slow. Try early mornings for your best bet. The rooms are large but many are really far away from main facilities and the beds are very hard and not that comfortable.

Other service - the buffet restaurant table service was usually great. People greeted you, got your drinks etc. The bar service and room cleaning services were fantastic. The service at restaurants was hit or miss and any special requests or questions dealing with front desk or concierge are just impossible - it's really not worth your time to ask.

The beach is beautiful but does have lots of rocks/shallow reef hidden for entry into the water. If you have a calm water day, the snorkeling is okay around the reef but lots of times the water was kicking up the sand and there wasn't too much around to see. I recommend walking down to the pier further down the beach where you can climb in the water and swim with the fish there instead.

Food - For me, all inclusives start to have all the food taste the same and this didn't break the mold. Of the 15 meals we ate, there were only 3 that I enjoyed. This goes for the general buffet area and for the reservation only restaurants. Rodizio is their steak and pasta restaurant and we enjoyed that the most. Tokyo the Sushi restaurant is something I would avoid - not great fish, not great service, not great saki and even the rice was bleh. We tried the French restaurant another night and found the steak and lobster to be inedible. The French onion soup was pretty good but that was about it. For the Buffet - the Omelet station or eggs cooked to order was good. The lunch was hit or miss because sometimes there would be a grill station for fresh fish, sea scallops in bacon, steak, salmon etc. which was great. However, the next day it was gone and it was just buffet line food. In general, there was a lot of selection but you never know what you are going to find each day. The mexican dishes were great (tamales, quesadillas, sopas, fajitas) and if you like 8 kinds of salsa and all the fixings (guac, chili peppers, etc.) they are definitely available.

A few times we walked down to the other resorts and found that the restaurant buffet at Maya Colonial was a bit better quality and service.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to most restaurants, pool and beach ask for the Oahaca or Michoacan building...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Justy57801,

We appreciate that you have taken a few minutes of your time to give us your positive comments about your stay and also the things that you did not like about the service.
It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed the pools, drinks, bar service and room cleaning services, etc.

We regret that you had to wait to receive you room, normally the check in time is at 3:00pm but if rooms are ready before, they can be occupied.

In relation to the food we have a wide variety in each of the restaurants; however we thank you for your comments and please be assured that your opinion is very important to improve our service.

It will be a pleasure to host you and your family in the future, your children will enjoy the water park!!

Regards,

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Went to this resort in October of 2013 for my sisters wedding. We went with a party of 80 and had a blast. The wedding was amazing, however, we would not recommend it. They were all over the place when it came to details of the wedding and actually changed my sisters location of the ceremony the day before, luckily she is pretty easy going and went with it. We had a bunch of younger children with the group and the resort was great for them. Another negative was that there is no "club" or "disco" in the resort, you have to take one of the buses to get to it, and it was a bit sketchy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Mrs. Taylor

Thank you in advance for choosing us and I hope in the near future give us the opportunity to visit us again.

Best regards.

Barcelo Maya Palace
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We were originally supposed to stay at the Riu Yucatan, but reservations got changed to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe. From the exterior, it seemed that Barcelo was an upgrade from the Riu Yucatan. The resort is massive and has several restaurants to enjoy all your can eat food and drinks. However, as all inclusive restaurants, the food can get a big boring. I usually ended up at the pasta bar or the seafood bar where they will make any pasta or grill any seafood to your liking. I would not recommend the meat as I could not chew into them. They do have a few restaurants you can book in the evenings, but I thought they were all just ok and nothing special. The hotel itself was pretty nice and spacious with the exception of the bed. The bed was very uncomfortable and pillows were too hard. The staff were good, but they weren't spectacular in terms of service. They don't have wifi in all areas of the resort. You will only have wifi in your hotel room or in the lobby and tends to get spotty too, but it was good for us to relax and not be tied down to our phones. However, they do charge you wifi per day and it's only for one phone at a time. You cannot share the wifi per family. The pool, coffee, all inclusive drinks were excellent and you definitely get your bang for the buck if you are a drinker. The resort also has an awesome kid friendly water park section so definitely recommend for families with kids for a family getaway. The location of the resort was great too as it was only about 30 min away from Tulum which was super nice. I could definitely come back here for a family vacation with kids or a fun getaway with girlfriends or the guys for a few days, but if you are looking for a romantic getaway for two I would recommend looking into a boutique hotel in Tulum. One tip I wish I knew was that it is much cheaper to rent a car at the airport ($15/day) so you can roam around and venture to the Tulum ruins, go to a nearby cenote, etc. We ended up renting a car at the resort and it costs $85. They said it was $95, but we were able to get it down to $85 which is still very expensive for a standard vehicle size for one day. Overall, I gave this hotel a very good rating for an all inclusive resort.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy so stay away from the first level floors.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Sky10003,

Thank you for your feedback it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay; we hope to host you in the future!!

Best regards,

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!