“Stunning Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez km 266.3 | Carretera a Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Ottawa, Canada
“Stunning Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Palace Resort for 2 weeks beginning of May 2014. This was by far the most beautiful and biggest resort we have been to.

The rooms are immaculate! Big, beautiful, and always clean. If something is wrong with your room they will come and fix it right away. I would suggest, however, to ask for a room closest to the beach as possible (8500's). We stayed in the 8900's (which was quite a walk) and the bed was hard as rock (like most other reviews), We had a leak in our bathroom ceiling so they gave us a new room in the 8500's and the beds are completely different. Much more comfortable!

The beach is beautiful however it is VERY rocky. There are only certain areas where you can safely walk into the ocean without touching a rock. I definitely recommend bringing water shoes. If you love snorkelling then this resort is for you. The snorkelling right off the beach is awesome! The fish will swim with you and the coral is really cool. If you don't like snorkelling then I would recommend finding another location.

The shows we're cool but they have the same ones every week. If you are staying for 2 weeks try and visit various theatres (in the Tropical & Colonial) for different shows. The food in the buffet was okay. I expected more but as long as they had guacamole I was good. The a-la-carte restaurants however were phenomenal. Our favourite was the French (Brasserie) and the seafood (Caribe). Pleaseee book a-la-carte restaurants they are amazing. Since you are staying at the Palace you are allowed to book a-la-carte restaurants at all 4 other resorts. We tried 7 or 8 different restaurants and they are all very good! If you want to go to the Japanese restaurant that has a cooking show, it is NOT the one in the palace it is the one in the Colonial or Tropical (Kyoto). Reserve days in advance because it sells out quickly and you will be stuck eating at 9:30pm.

Overall I definitely recommend this resort to anyone, especially those who love snorkelling! We had an amazing time for 2 weeks and it was hard to head back home.

Room Tip: Oaxaca building is quieter. Ask for a NON-adjoining room and a room in the 8500-8600's.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear Lave0118
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for you comments and you preference!

Kind Regards.
Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Polish first
Minnetonka, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed here for a week in early April 2014 with my two kids (7 and 10) and some extended family including grandparents and pre-school age kids. We had a wonderful visit and I would strongly recommend this for families.
The Palace is the highest tier in their all-inclusive hotels and pool space, rooms, and beaches were all spacious and very well maintained. The kids pool area was much bigger than I expected and easily entertained kids ages 3-10 in our group. They also had a lifeguard on duty there which was a nice touch. The snack bar stays open most of the day and had plenty of hamburgers, hot dogs, chips and guacamole and other kid friendly favorites. The larger pool had a big swim up bar and the bartenders were friendly and helpful with our young kids. Chocolate milkshakes at the swim up bar became a favorite activity. The beach in front of the hotel was fairly protected and occasionally the water was calm enough to let even the littlest kids splash around in the surf.
We ate at a number of the restaurants at the site and overall the food was fine. Not spectacular but certainly good enough to please our group.
*Spring Break: We were there over spring break and there were many families there with high school and college age kids. I thought the hotel did a nice job of keeping those kids happy but also keeping them separated from the families with young kids. The pool areas are very big so the hotel can be blasting music and kids can be playing drinking games on one end while we can happily spend the day at the other end and barely know they are there. We spent one day at the pool by the Tropical/Colonial and they seemed to have a much bigger and rowdier spring break crowd there but again the hotel kept them all together on one side of the huge pool. I was very comfortable being there with my kids. Kudos to the resort for walking a fine line on that!

Room Tip: For families with young kids I'd recommend something fairly close to the pool. We stayed on the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Annabelle 76.
Thank you very much; we appreciate your comments, since they help us to constantly improve.

Greeting from Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I went with my husband to attend a wedding and left the kids at home. It actually would have been a great place with the kids because the children pools are pretty awesome. Multiple slides straight and tubular curved ones too, shallow water, sprinklers, play houses, etc. If you are bringing children under 6, I highly recommend a stroller or mode of transportation because you will end up walking a lot if your room is far away.

The main pool and secondary pool are pretty awesome and complete with pool bars. The pool is very large and has shaded cabanas and chairs in the water. The bartenders at the pool and other bars were great. They had a wide range of expected frozen drinks and Modelo (regular and dark) and Corona beers on tap. They had well stocked bars with various recognizable names. For tequila - lots of types but Herradura, Don Julio and hotel brand were always around.

The front desk service leaves something to be desired. Upon arrival, there was a 35 minute wait to get to the front desk and then the room they gave us was 4 buildings away from the rest of the wedding party. In addition, I did have to wait until 3pm to check in for my room to be ready which meant getting back in the long line again to check on my status. You have to pay roughly $10/day for wifi (discounts for 4 days or more etc.) and it only works in your room or lobby but not around the resort. In addition, you can't sign up for it at the front desk and have to go to lobby computer room where it took me 4 tries before the line was less than 10 people and it moved very slow. Try early mornings for your best bet. The rooms are large but many are really far away from main facilities and the beds are very hard and not that comfortable.

Other service - the buffet restaurant table service was usually great. People greeted you, got your drinks etc. The bar service and room cleaning services were fantastic. The service at restaurants was hit or miss and any special requests or questions dealing with front desk or concierge are just impossible - it's really not worth your time to ask.

The beach is beautiful but does have lots of rocks/shallow reef hidden for entry into the water. If you have a calm water day, the snorkeling is okay around the reef but lots of times the water was kicking up the sand and there wasn't too much around to see. I recommend walking down to the pier further down the beach where you can climb in the water and swim with the fish there instead.

Food - For me, all inclusives start to have all the food taste the same and this didn't break the mold. Of the 15 meals we ate, there were only 3 that I enjoyed. This goes for the general buffet area and for the reservation only restaurants. Rodizio is their steak and pasta restaurant and we enjoyed that the most. Tokyo the Sushi restaurant is something I would avoid - not great fish, not great service, not great saki and even the rice was bleh. We tried the French restaurant another night and found the steak and lobster to be inedible. The French onion soup was pretty good but that was about it. For the Buffet - the Omelet station or eggs cooked to order was good. The lunch was hit or miss because sometimes there would be a grill station for fresh fish, sea scallops in bacon, steak, salmon etc. which was great. However, the next day it was gone and it was just buffet line food. In general, there was a lot of selection but you never know what you are going to find each day. The mexican dishes were great (tamales, quesadillas, sopas, fajitas) and if you like 8 kinds of salsa and all the fixings (guac, chili peppers, etc.) they are definitely available.

A few times we walked down to the other resorts and found that the restaurant buffet at Maya Colonial was a bit better quality and service.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to most restaurants, pool and beach ask for the Oahaca or Michoacan building...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Justy57801,

We appreciate that you have taken a few minutes of your time to give us your positive comments about your stay and also the things that you did not like about the service.
It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed the pools, drinks, bar service and room cleaning services, etc.

We regret that you had to wait to receive you room, normally the check in time is at 3:00pm but if rooms are ready before, they can be occupied.

In relation to the food we have a wide variety in each of the restaurants; however we thank you for your comments and please be assured that your opinion is very important to improve our service.

It will be a pleasure to host you and your family in the future, your children will enjoy the water park!!

Regards,

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Went to this resort in October of 2013 for my sisters wedding. We went with a party of 80 and had a blast. The wedding was amazing, however, we would not recommend it. They were all over the place when it came to details of the wedding and actually changed my sisters location of the ceremony the day before, luckily she is pretty easy going and went with it. We had a bunch of younger children with the group and the resort was great for them. Another negative was that there is no "club" or "disco" in the resort, you have to take one of the buses to get to it, and it was a bit sketchy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Mrs. Taylor

I am very sorry you had a bad impression of our service, so I offer you a sincere apology.

Thank you in advance for choosing us and I hope in the near future give us the opportunity to visit us again.

Best regards.

Barcelo Maya Palace
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We were originally supposed to stay at the Riu Yucatan, but reservations got changed to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe. From the exterior, it seemed that Barcelo was an upgrade from the Riu Yucatan. The resort is massive and has several restaurants to enjoy all your can eat food and drinks. However, as all inclusive restaurants, the food can get a big boring. I usually ended up at the pasta bar or the seafood bar where they will make any pasta or grill any seafood to your liking. I would not recommend the meat as I could not chew into them. They do have a few restaurants you can book in the evenings, but I thought they were all just ok and nothing special. The hotel itself was pretty nice and spacious with the exception of the bed. The bed was very uncomfortable and pillows were too hard. The staff were good, but they weren't spectacular in terms of service. They don't have wifi in all areas of the resort. You will only have wifi in your hotel room or in the lobby and tends to get spotty too, but it was good for us to relax and not be tied down to our phones. However, they do charge you wifi per day and it's only for one phone at a time. You cannot share the wifi per family. The pool, coffee, all inclusive drinks were excellent and you definitely get your bang for the buck if you are a drinker. The resort also has an awesome kid friendly water park section so definitely recommend for families with kids for a family getaway. The location of the resort was great too as it was only about 30 min away from Tulum which was super nice. I could definitely come back here for a family vacation with kids or a fun getaway with girlfriends or the guys for a few days, but if you are looking for a romantic getaway for two I would recommend looking into a boutique hotel in Tulum. One tip I wish I knew was that it is much cheaper to rent a car at the airport ($15/day) so you can roam around and venture to the Tulum ruins, go to a nearby cenote, etc. We ended up renting a car at the resort and it costs $85. They said it was $95, but we were able to get it down to $85 which is still very expensive for a standard vehicle size for one day. Overall, I gave this hotel a very good rating for an all inclusive resort.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy so stay away from the first level floors.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Sky10003,

Thank you for your feedback it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay; we hope to host you in the future!!

Best regards,

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe
Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is the fourth time I’ve been to an all inclusive and I will say, it’s the best one I’ve ever stayed at. I believe there are three resorts in one. We stayed at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe which gave us access to all three resorts but I never left the Palace Deluxe to check out the other two.

Positives:
The resort was immaculate and I tend to be a bit OCD about that stuff. They swept and mopped the rooms every day and all of the facilities were incredibly clean. The bathroom in the bedroom was amazing and I took a picture so I can build one for my own house the same way some day. The balcony was a good size and very private. They were constantly painting, gardening, trimming, etc. and doing other non-interruptive renovations. The beach was absolutely beautiful (I’m a beach bum and couldn’t care less about a pool). The sand was soft, the water was warm and clear, there were plenty of chairs and it wasn’t the least bit crowded. We snorkeled while in chin deep water and saw the most beautiful fish. I was with 7 other people so I did end up trying the pool and it was great! The water was clean and warm and the adult pool was a good size and really relaxing. The other pool was great too but I spent most of my time at the beach. The food was really good even at the buffets and there was always something for everyone to eat (one of our friends has Celiac’s and found plenty of options). The restaurants were really good, especially the Brazilian steakhouse which we ate at twice and reservations were easy to make. We made them day-of with no problems even with 8 of us. The drinks were fantastic – top shelf alcohol and if you’re smart, you’ll bring your own insulated cup to keep your frozen drinks frozen. There was also a refrigerator in each room with bottled water, beer and sodas that they refilled for us every day. I felt safe at all times and no one bothered us on the beaches to try selling us anything but massages or day trips and they weren’t pushy at all. I did get a massage on the beach while I was there and it was one of the best ever. Totally worth it! While you can’t walk anywhere if you chose to leave the resort, Playa del Carmen is a 15-20 minute cab ride which should cost you around $25 and it totally worth the trip! The gym had a decent amount of machines and weights even though I only made it there twice.

Negatives:
The beds. I can sleep on nails but have to say, these beds weren’t comfortable at all. I felt the springs in my side and was tempted to flip the mattress because of it. The last night, they switched the bedding and gave us 4 new comfortable pillows and better bedding which I wish we had from the start as it made the uncomfortable mattress a bit better. My two friends staying at the Tropical (who stayed their first 3 nights at the Deluxe) said the beds at Tropical were much more comfortable. Wifi costs extra ($15/day) which seems a bit absurd. If you don’t like walking, you might not like this resort. It’s enormous and everything is very spread out so you really don’t have a choice but to walk. I didn’t mind it at all but if you have a hard time walking, you may not want to stay here. There was an extra charge for room service which seemed a bit weird for an all-inclusive. The only beer you can get is Corona. Kind of a bummer since I HATE Corona but like Corona light. However, they only have Corona so if you’re a beer drinker, you better either like Corona or BYOB. I settled for mixed drinks for the entire trip except for the two nights we went to Playa del Carmen. Checking in took about an hour which was a bit frustrating because we were tired and just wanted to be on the beach but we did an express check-out which took literally minutes (you can only do this if you have no charges to your room).

I would absolutely stay at this resort again and maybe just ask for a room with newer beds. Oh, and if you’re thinking about going around Stanley Cup Playoffs time, just know that you won’t get to watch them at the resort. That’s why we left to go to Playa Del Carmen and the games were on in almost every bar we passed. But it was a really cool place with tons of bars and shops and restaurants so I was happy we ventured out.

Room Tip: There are only 3 levels. I would prefer to stay on a second or third level.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest MV76

We have carefully read your comments and we are pleased to know you had a very enjoyable holiday in this place.

Regarding mattresses we have a program to change them and this will improve the rest of our guests.

I appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments.

Best regards,

Barcelo Maya Palace
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

One of the largest & luxurious resorts in Riviera Maya, the best among 5 Barceló resorts on this site. Excellent restaurants, 2 huge buffets which serve Mexican & traditional American dishes (steaks, pasta, etc.). Plenty of room on a beach and around the pool, poolside bar has good selection of international liquors. The only downside – not enough shade under tents, so you’d have to get up earlier to get a spot, or stay under the palm tree on a beach

Room Tip: 2nd floor is not that hot & noisy, try to get the north view, so you'd be able to use the ba...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear TSTHSH,
Thank you very match, for your comments it’s very important to the success of our hotel, we will consider your opinion to improve our service and achieve our goal of complete customer satisfaction.

Kind regards from Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!