We're repeated customers of Barcelo Maya Palace, that was our 4th time.
We keep coming back for the following strengths of the resort: great food in terms of selection, freshness and quality; premium drinks; cleanliness, roomy suites, good beach, activities. All that basically remained at a high level during our last visit.
The resort grounds are impressive, even though we went during a high season in the end of December the hotel didn't feel overcrowded, there were always some secluded areas to find, for example a peaceful adult-only pool.
This year we were pleasantly surprised by a new addition - the dolphin pool and show which we used for our son and his friend.
Another nice surprise: free wi-fi on th territory incl. rooms. No more expensive phone calls to US.
The positives by far outweighed a few negatives which are as follows.
1. Entertainment team was disappointing. For example, the only place to play volleyball a bit far from the Palace was left to its own, no organized games. Some tournaments are run w/o announcement. Our son likes to play soccer, only by the end of our stay we found out that there are soccer games on a big field. Apparently, no one at the Palace informed us. This in particular got worse over time, before the members of the entertainment team organized more sports right at or near the beach, for example soccer.
2. Ridiculously high prices at the convenience store. Suntan lotion around $25 US. Just charge us 10-20 more for the sty and have reasonable prices.
3. Extremely expensive premium wines. The house wine red is of rather low quality. Although the hotel has excellent premium drinks, for example Don Julio tequila, Remy cognac, the wines aren't included. An average 10-dollar wine from Chile costs around 35-40 here.
We're likely to come back next year but will keep our eyes open if comparable competitors have good deals.
I hope the management team is reading this review.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Odigeo, Barcelo, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Low Cost Holidays and Jetsetter so you can book your Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe Riviera Maya/Puerto Aventuras, Mexico