“Beautiful and relaxing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez km 266.3 | Carretera a Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Baltimore, Maryland
“Beautiful and relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We had a great time at the palace from Feb 1-10. There were some issues though...I read that the snorkeling was great. I usually go to cozumel, where it is amazing.I wanted to try someplace different, and read that this place was great for snorkeling. It was not so. There was no plant life on the ocean floor, like the sand had been recently brought in. I know that does not make sense, but I could not figure out why there would be no plants, rocks, etc, only sand. There was a little reef as you entered the ocean, but when you got a little depth, no more. The only fish I saw were under and around the pier, where people would feed them.I never saw a sea turtle, in fact, only one of our party of 5 saw one, we still tease him that it was not real. In cozumel, as soon as you enter the water, there is an abundance of various plants and sealife. I wanted to try someplace different, and read that this place was great for snorkeling. I satisfied myself with the amazing pools. The adult pool was my favorite, it was tucked away and very relaxing. Our bartender, ulissyes, was amazing! I probably am spelling his name wrong, sorry! The resort is breathtakingly beautiful, however, be prepared to walk! It took us about 5 or 6 minutes to walk to any meal, pool or beach. That is about a quarter mile, right? The beds are pretty hard, but what with all the top shelf hooch I drank, sleeping was no problem. We could not turn down the AC in our room, so we called, but got no help from guest services(no comprende), so we just had to turn it off occasionally. We called about getting the mini bar restocked(this was spotty), but the person answering did not speak English so I had a hard time making my wishes clear. The food is very good and varied.One disturbing event. A stranger walked into my sisters room at 4 in the morning. He was not an employee, but had a key card that worked. I still don't know how this happened.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the 8200's or lower. It seems that the only rooms close are the ones with a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear BaltimoreBarb9763,

Please accept an apology for any inconvenience caused during your stay,the same way we regret that the snorkel at the hotel was not to your liking, we usually have very good comments as the area is totally natural.

Best Regards,

2,209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
  • Polish first
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed at the Palace Feb 1-8, 2014 and loved every minute of it. The rooms are clean, roomy, and decorated nicely. We only had one complaint; a very hard bed but as soon as I complained about it, housekeeping came and placed a feather bed on top of the mattress. I did not meet one unhappy staff member. They all worked hard at maintaining a beautiful resort and beach with smiles on their faces which put smiles on ours. The food was fantastic, even at the buffet. No waits, awesome presentation, excellent service by very friendly staff. The Coco pool bar served tasty drinks! We found the resort quite at night. This is a resort that is not for the party hearty, which was fine by us as we were usually done by 10 after a day in the sun. We will be back next year! Thank-you Barcelo Palace and I hope that you tell your staff that they are doing a great job!

Room Tip: Our friends were on ground level and found it to be more noisier and less private. We were on the th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Deer Christa P,

We appreciate your kind comments which are shared with our staff and of course we will continue working to improve every day, it will be a pleasure to host you once again.

Armando Becerra M.
Howard Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

The was our first trip to Mexico. My husband said how can we stay anywhere else next time when we stay at the best. One complaint was the room was too cold. The staff was always so willing to please, greet us with a warm sincere smile and made us feel at home. It's a quiet relaxing place and all the guests reflect such friendliness because of the atmosphere. The food, Oh the food, unbelievable. Something for everyone. We like to try everything at least once and we had so much fun at the buffets. There is so much to do and explore. We know we have left plenty of adventure for next time!!

Room Tip: Rooms on courtyard appear nicer, less jungle noise & trolley noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Rlee2559,

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to serve you and show you the quality of our services, always gives us pleasure to know that we have fulfilled your expectations.

Armando M. Becerra
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My wife and I spent 10 days at the Palace; our second visit over five years. While the weather was great, the ocean warm, and the break from the office more than overdue, it was the staff and the ambiance of the resort that made our holiday really special. All the staff, from those at the front desk (check-in and check-out), the restaurants (Jesús and Miguel Ángel), the adult pool and bar (Ulysses), the spa on the beach ... it was a pleasure to have met them all. The hotel doctor, too, was friendly and helpful (earache). OK... there were negatives, but just three: the beds (yes, they're as hard as others have reported, though the mattress cover made somewhat of a difference); the house wine, especially the red, really isn't very good; and the lack of free wi-fi (not that I even turned my phone on the entire stay, but had I wanted to, just saying...). But those three items didn't detract in the least from our having a great stay at the Palace. And a day in Playa rounded things off nicely. Last but not least, the other guests -- Edmonton, Minnesota. All good. We look forward to our next visit!

PS. We used USATransfers to get us to and from the hotel from the airport. $120 round trip. Worth every penny.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dera Randy2620,

We are happy to know that you and your wife had a great time, enjoying the ocean, the staff and the ambience of the resort, despite the minor inconveniences that did not affect you stay.

Kind regards,

Armando Becerra M.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I celebrated my 40th birthday at this resort. We had our 10 year old son, my husband, 2 of my sisters, and a brother-in-law. Age range 10-51. We all were impressed by this resort. It was our first time out of the States but soon we felt comfortable here. Quiet, peaceful, relaxing, excellent food, wonderful drinks, clean, friendly staff and very helpful. Much to do. Dolphins were great and reasonably priced. Beach wonderful too. Can't wait to go back. Amstar's Victor was very helpful with excursions! We loved him! Can't wait to go back!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Rdegryse,

Thank you for your comments! We are glad to know that you had a pleasant stay.
It would be a pleasure to host you family in he future.

Best regards!!!

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I had been to the Maya a few years ago and so I recommended it to my family for a 16 person trip. The property is nice for the most part but our stay there had so many problems that I would never recommend it again or stay there again.
The first ridiculousness came at check in: We arrived a day late because our flight was cancelled due to bad weather. Of course, we had paid around $500 for a room that we did not use. They had originally put aside a room for us near my family (who had arrived on time) but decided to give that room away before we arrived. They didn't have a room ready for us. We fully informed them of when we were getting there so that was annoying. I had to argue to get my "resort credit coupons" (which are mostly worthless in value in an attempt to get you to pay for additional services). I was told, even though we had paid for 4 nights, that now because we were only staying for 3 that we did not qualify for them. Stupid and insulting. If I'm in the hospitality business and my guests had endured a problem, even if its not my fault, I'm making sure I am at least living up to our end of the bargain, not punishing them and adding more injury. We had to wait until about 5 pm for our room (again, we had already paid for the night before) so that was absurd. I had requested a King sized bed about a week before we arrived. Even though half of the rooms supposedly have that bed arrangement, upon arrival (with an extra 24 hrs to sort it out) this was "impossible".
The girl at the counter had been going into the back to speak with her supervisor every couple minutes when we were checking in but suddenly when I wanted to speak to the supervisor, they had gone "to lunch".
The room they did give us had the most miserable mattresses I've ever been asked to sleep on! This is unacceptable at a holiday inn, much less a luxury resort. I really dont understand how even a single room can have mattresses that worn down in a place like this! Not only could we feel the individual springs coming through but there was absolutely no support and we both woke up with sore backs.
Finally on the day before our last night they moved us to the very furthest room from the beach and restaurants, on the road where all the cars drive by, to have a better mattress. I had already wasted an enormous amount of time and energy dealing with the mattresses and other things with no satisfaction so it was a mixed blessing to have to pack up now and move. We packed our bags and left them in our room and were told that the staff would move them to our new room in 1/2 hour. 4 and a half hours later, my girlfriend went to the new room to get something ( a substantial walk). No luggage! She called reception and after being passed around on the phone was told they didn't know what she was talking about and then rudely hung up on.
I just cant accept this way of treating paying customers. Be warned, if you have any problems or issues, the staff here is either untrained or unwilling to help in any meaningful manner. I just cant recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Scotym,

Your feedback is taken very seriously in order to improve and exceed the expectations of each of our guests we have the pleasure of attending every day. Please accept an apology for any inconvenience during your stay.

Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

As a family of eight adults we had four rooms at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe from Jan 31st to Feb 6th 2014. Overall we had a great experience.
The resort is huge, staying at the Palace gave us access to all five resorts however we spent mot of our time at the Palace.
The rooms are spacious with modern bathrooms (separate toilet, double sinks, rain head shower, large tub with shower) We had a junior suite with a king size bed on the ground floor. The room has two couches in a sitting area with a table and also a large desk and flat screen tv. Our room was on the ground floor and did have a slight damp odour but from reading other reviews this is quite common in Mexico with the damp climate. Air conditioning worked great. We also had a small patio with table and chairs through a sliding and screen door. My only negative comment for this whole review will be that I found the bed hard (inner sprung) and the pillows small and unsupportive.
The facilities we more than we needed to entertain us for the week. There is an adult only pool with its own bar and cabana style outdoor beds/lounge areas for US$20 per day. There is a huge main pool which stretches most of the palace with a swim bar, the pool area is surrounded by deck chairs, covered seating, hammocks and in pool seating. There is also a childrens pool and play area.
The beach is great but is quite rocky, I didnt mind this at all an it became more sandy as you head north along the beach. There were plenty of chairs and you never needed to reserve one early as I have read with other resorts. The beach was well kept and very clean.
The staff are absolutely fantastic! They made my trip fabulous. They are helpful, friendly and seem so happy all the time. Staff are constantly busy with the upkeep of the resort. Our room was always clean, fridge stocked and even had a turndown service most evenings.
The food was great, I enjoyed everything at the buffet and they had chefs there to cook most meat right in front of you. The snack bar is well stocked all day. We dined at the French Brasserie restaurant which was top notch food and service. We also dined at the Brazilian Rodizio restaurant which was great. We dined at the Italian restaurant which was located at the Barcelo Maya Tropical and I found this italian cuisine average and the service was ok.
There are shops onsite for gifts, souvenirs, jewelry, etc
There is a well kept and well equipped gym. I did not visit the spa.
Overall I would definitely stay again, I could see quite a difference in staying at the Palace compared to the other hotels in the resort - the quality and upkeep of the facilities and the quality/variety of food. We all had a great time and felt well looked after. Thank you so much to the delightful staff at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe resort.

Room Tip: We enjoyed staying in the Oaxaca building, I would have preferred to stay off the ground floor. We w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ms. Kristal L.

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe appreciates the time that you have taken to send us your
positive comments and observations regarding the bed and pillows, as these help us not only to maintain but to improve our services.

We hope to host you and your family soon!

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!