“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe

You added Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez km 266.3 | Carretera a Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% discount
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and I spent 10 days ,was our 4th stay at the Palace. We arrived at 1 pm or so,had a smooth check in,no other guests in line ,the front desk guys were efficient and friendly. We have always thought the standard room was more than ok so we never ask about an upgrade nor did they offer to sell us one.We were in the Michocan bldg and just about as faraway from the lobby as possible. We didn't mind the long walk as we left our room at 7 am and never came back till 3 or 4.We ate ala carte most every eve,the French was our fav,all the others were very good tho.We had resv at the Caribe res once and when we arrived it was closed with no explanation given,would a phone mssg been too much to ask ? The grounds were very nice and all the employees we spoke to were very cordial.We went on a snorkeling trip, booked with Dressel divers at the hotel. Took the ferry to Cozumel and took a taxi to the Ibeostar resort for lunch before our snorkel trip.You should be warned the food at Ibeostar is the worst I have ever had at any resort anywhere.Snorkeling in the clear water more than made up for the crummy food. The beach at the Palace has good snorkeling also,we saw a few turtles every time we went out. I will say we had a very nice stay but we are looking at some other places for next year,maybe we are ready to try something else. The Palace never rewards us for our loyalty.We stay at the El Cid in Puerto Morelos at Xmas and we are upgraded every time without even asking. The mgr even spent a few mins with us last time,wanted to be sure we were happy with our room . Is the Palace getting a bit complacent?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (859)
  • Polish first
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe as part of a destination wedding. Overall, while we found the properly to be nice and well-maintained, the operating company clearly does not care about customer experience, which ultimately brings down its rating. They made it obvious that you were getting a sub-par experience unless you paid for more. I've been to other hotels where you got the real all-inclusive experience: you paid one price when you booked and you were done (unless you wanted to tip people). I recommend skipping this hotel for one of those hotels (we had positive experiences a few years back with Moon Palace in Cancun and Royal Playa del Carmen, though I am confident there are plenty of others). I don't believe the savings from this hotel is worth the compromised experience.

Pros:
+ Well-maintained property
+ Reasonable price
+ Decent buffet

Cons:
+ Inconsistent staff
+ Constant feeling of nickel-and-diming to get the optimal experience
+ Average food in the restaurants
+ Obvious hierarchy of guests

PROPERTY
As mentioned, the property was always well-maintained, clean, and in good-repair. Every bathroom was clean and acceptable (the one closest to the pool was the worst just from wet people walking in and out of it all the time. During the heavy rain, there were a few areas that leaked in some of the main buildings. The beach is clearly man-made it did not take much digging to reach non-sand (not a big deal for me, but some people might care). Rooms are nice and clean, with okay sound-proofing. I didn't find the bed extremely comfortable but I personally have trouble getting used to beds that are not my own, so I'll give them a pass on that.

FOOD
The buffets were the best part of the food experience. In my opinion, their quality was above what I have seen at other hotels (including their own hotels further down, one of which made me temporarily ill). The restaurants were okay, but nothing spectacular. I've stayed at other hotels and at those it was always a struggle between trying a new restaurant or going back to a "favorite." I had no tough decisions at this one. It was always "that was okay, but let's try another one." The French restaurant was probably the best one, with the Caribbean one not far behind (the Brazilian one was very disappointing, with very dry meat). Unlike other hotels, they did seem a bit conservative with their food. At the Caribbean restaurant we were told that if we chose an appetizer we couldn't go up to the salad bar (things like this were a recurring theme). They also only had their mediocre house wine unless you paid for more. I've been to other hotels where they had more choices within a price range that were included.

STAFF/SERVICE
The service at this hotel was completely inconsistent. For every person we met that went over the top with regards to service, we met 20 - 30 who couldn't be bothered. At lunch, one time I asked for something as simple as coca cola and it never arrived. I partially blame this on the hotel though. It appeared that they under-staffed the buffet areas. The front desk barely wanted to be helpful. My wife, a doctor, assisted another hotel guest in one of the restaurants. The hotel staff took forever to get medical personnel (apparently the medical services were stationed three hotels down). In fact, I'm not convinced medical staff ever came. My wife was doing an exam on the patient and someone who claimed to be a doctor was countermanding her instructions (and saying the wrong thing). They eventually took the patient away to the medical office and gave him some random shot. The family (who we met later on) said that person who claimed he was doctor later said he was the chief concierge. We asked the lobby staff to call the medical office for us to confirm the person made it there and was fine (we were unable to get through when we called the extension) and they could not reach the staff either and just made excuses (oh they must be busy). Wait, what? There's no one to answer a medical emergency? Also, not one member of the staff (i.e. the restaurant manager) bothered to thank my wife for helping out. My friends who were getting married had a bad experience with the hotel also. They gave them the wrong cocktail hour (which resulted in many of the Jewish family members [i.e. everyone but the friends] being unable to eat any of the food if they wanted to keep kosher). They also put the wrong alcohol out at the tables and the groom had to harass the staff to correct the error. This was surprising considering the number of weddings they do. They also called my room at one point right before we were going to dinner (which they should have known about since we made a reservation) to conduct a survey. Yes, I really want to answer YOUR survey on my vacation right before dinner.

AMENITIES/EXPERIENCE
I consider this hotel to be "mostly exclusive" instead of an all-inclusive. Things like Wi-Fi cost $14 USD a day for mediocre reception in the hotel room and pretty good reception in the lobby. If you're going to charge $14 a day, you might want to include some WiFi where most people actually sit (beach/pool). By default they don't give out two room keys (some people got them easily by asking, others had to fight). They were inconsistent with the towel cards (some people received them at check in and were told they had to use them and would be charged if they did not return the card at departure, others didn't have to). The only wine available was their piss-poor watered down house wine unless you paid significantly for mediocre bottles (in fact most drinks felt watered down). The rooms have a minimal amount of snacks/drinks (other hotels had bottles in dispensers in the rooms themselves). You had to make reservations for restaurants but they only ever had two people working reservations at a time. My understanding was that snacks by the pool bar were not free (though I did not confirm that by trying). They also had an obvious hierarchy. Club premium vs. everyone else and they made it obvious (our friends who were getting married saw how they were treated versus everyone else). Finally, we were also given resort "credit" when we got to the hotel since we were staying for 5 nights, 6 days. Unlike other hotels, its not real credit, its coupons that you can save some money when you spend a lot more (contrast this to Aventura Spa where we could spend the credit to get things like massages for free).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

We were married at the Barcelo in 2002, before the hurricane & major renovations. We went back in February 2012 for our anniversary & stayed at the palace. It was so great to be able to walk the entire complex & eat or drink at any of them. We also ate at the reservation restaurants. The French restaurant is amazing. The shows on resort were pretty good too. The rooms were nice & the bathroom was spacious. My only real complaint is the pillows were horrible. I didn't find out until our last night that they have a pillow menu. We did order different ones, but they never arrived.

• Stayed February 2013
tyngsboro, Ma.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Not sure about some of negative things about hotel we had no problems employees went out of there way to help in any way possible had room changed got extra keys all without a hitch i think some people just need things to complain about hotel grounds are huge there is a bit of walking but a shuttle can take you to other of 5 lobbys or walk any where in a reasonable amount of time staff were all friendly bars could have been more staffed but wait was not long . This was our fourth stay . We started at beach and worked our way up all were good stays.

• Stayed May 2013
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We went to the Barcelo with 48 people for our wedding. We went from May 16th - May 23rd.

I don't know why people complain. The buffet has EVERYTHING! From hamburgers, fries to calamari and shrimp. We had a few vegetarians and gluten fee people in our group, and no one complained. The French restaurant if by far the best out of the a la cartes. The steakhouse and sea food restaurants we're alright. Make sure to book your reservations a few days in advance as they restaurants do fill up very quickly.

Pools/Beach
Always very clean. The beach is a little bit rocky, but once you pass the rocks its beautiful and sandy. The towel system was great, no need to sign them out. Just pick them up and drop them off as you go. There was always more then enough chairs. There was no need to go and reserve them. No matter what time of day we went to the beach/pool there was always room.

Staff
I've been to several resorts, however I found the staff at this resort to be the least friendly! The staff at the swim up bar and beach bar weren't very personable. The first night we arrived, one of the staff members in the lobby bar refused to serve me. It was my second drink. He kept shaking his head and walking away. Needless to say I didn't tip as generously as I would have liked too.

Rooms
Rooms were beautiful and clean, mini bar was always re-stocked. I did find that the rooms were not very sound proof. On one side we could hear the people snoring and the other side we could hear a screaming toddler and VERY loud talking parents.

Wedding
My wedding was great! Ladies, I recommend you have the ceremony/reception at Playa Azul. Its the most private place for the wedding. The other 'beach' locations are right in front of the resort where people can walk by and take pictures. Once I saw where the weddings were I immediately changed my location. It's a massive resort, they usually do about 3 weddings per day! So you will see tons of brides and grooms walking around! I read a review saying that its a wedding factory. They were right.

Overall
My wedding was beautiful! My wedding guests were VERY happy with everything - most of them had never been to all inclusive, so they loved it. A few of my guests got a little sick, but thats common while away. Make sure to bring immodium.
We had no problems with the front desk. After reading the terrible reviews on the front desk I was worried that they wouldn't be able to handle all my wedding guests checking in at the same time. But they did! :)

It's a MASSIVE resort, get ready to walk and get lost!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bargersville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The Palace Deluxe is part of a larger Barcelo property stretching a sizable reef-protected beach. The beach always had plenty of chairs and good spots to enjoy the surf; however, there are several beach entry points that are rocky. During normal daylight hours, we saw lifeguards on duty every day. Additionally, some snorkeling was available right in front of the resort, but accessing free non-motorized water sports equipment was not convenient (third party company was located quite a ways down the beach, equipment still required a deposit and you could only rent 1 hour at a time).

There was plenty of pool space (many pools), but on pristine weather days the chairs along the pool fill up quickly. There were many activities sponsored by the resort in or near the pool that added a lot of fun.

Rooms were kept quite clean, and our family of 4 was able to stay in a junior suite without difficulty (our 10 and 11 y/o slept comfortably on "couches" that were made into beds the moment we arrived). We did experience a temporary shower drain problem on our first day that was corrected the very moment we made the front desk aware of the issue (very good response to our concern).

General buffet restaurants had decent food, but each day had pretty much the same food. After a week, I would have liked to see a rotating station that offered some unique variety. The evening restaurants were good (not gourmet, but good). We visited 4 of the evening restaurants. Our best experiences occurred in the Rodizio and the Sante Fe.

My wife and I commented several times that the employees were all very hard working and extremely friendly. We stayed at a Barcelo in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic a couple years ago and the weather was awesome but the service was "put out" with every request. Our weather in Mexico was a little more liquid that we would have liked, but the resort made up for it in service quality. Always pleasant, interested in our family / vacation, service oriented and most spoke at least two languages fluently (in our case, Spanish and English).

There are quite a few off resort fun opportunities Xcaret, Xplor, etc. These offerings looked awesome, but we found the costs were fairly high relative to what we paid for the entire vacation. A family of 4 would pay $417 for a one day excursion to Xcaret. This included round trip transportation (actually very close to the resort) 1 meal and access to the park (with locker/shower service given it was a water park). Given the unpredictable weather, we didn't feel we could safely bet on getting our money's worth, so we didn't take an off resort excursion. Had there been better / more predictable weather and/or a lower price, we may have tried it out.

Generally, we enjoyed our visit and have very few reservations in recommending the site to others. Our only concerns (hence our rating) was around the weather. Obviously, this is uncontrollable by the resort, but it was a factor in our vacation. It rained enough that some roads back to the airport were literally flooded out.

Room Tip: We'd suggest getting a room close to the lobby / pool. The resort is big enough that trekking b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I checked in on 5/18 for 5 nights and married at this resort, before we moved to The Royal in Playa Del Carmen for our honeymoon portion. We really really really liked this hotel!! We chose it because it had something for everyone who was traveling to our wedding. The rooms were very nice, and we had people in all different room categories, and they were all really nice. The food was good. I thought better than many all inclusives, and always had fresh, plentiful selections. The beach was beautiful, and the pool swim up bar was a great lively area for everyone to enjoy.

Our wedding coordinator Xahil Flores, was WONDERFUL. She made the whole experience easy and unstressful. The wedding was everything and more than we expected, and ran so smoothly that we really got to enjoy our day! We would DEFINITELY return to this fun resort! And our 35 guests agreed! :-)

Room Tip: This is a large hotel. Be prepared to walk. We like to walk so we really enjoyed the beautiful gro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!