“The best of the Maya Riveira” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe

You added Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez km 266.3 | Carretera a Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% discount
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Vancouver, Canada
“The best of the Maya Riveira”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed at the Barcelo Palace from April 8th-15th for a family wedding. We booked the trip a year in advance so I had a year of reading reviews before the trip. I was a little nervous before coming about how large the resort is. The last time we stayed in Mexico was at Playacar Palace and it is definately a small intimate resort compared to the Barcelo Palace. There was a group of 25 of us and we all travelled down at the same time. We had a private bus all to ourselves from the airport to the resort which was awesome. But on the way back to the airport after our 8 day stay, we had to share a bus with another large group that was down for a wedding and it was a tight squeeze in there with barely any air conditioning. The first day we arrived at the resort we were all so excited to have finally made it there all the way from Vancouver around 8pm. We unfortunately got first hand experience what all the negative reviews about the front desk were about. It did take us an hour or longer to get all checked in. Luckily there was a lady that was handing out pina colada's and champaign when we arrived, and she did keep coming back until we were all checked in. The front desk staff are the rudest staff we had ever met. Not a good first impression to make for all of your guests. We got placed in the smoking building, well actually our whole group was placed in the smoking building. They only have two building sections. We were in the Oaxaca building room 8952, and our room did not smell like smoke at all. It was if we were in a non smoking room. It did not have a musty smell either. But my parents said they smelt smoke in thier room and they did not like that at all, and even after requesting to change thier rooms they were denied. We were given two double beds instead of a king bed. You would think after booking a year in advance you could at least get the room you asked for. We tried to request a new room the next morning but were denied at the time saying they were full and that if we came back the next morning we could have a new room. In the end it was not such a big deal and we decided we liked our room plenty enough to stay in it for the remainder of the trip. So back to checking in.....After the hour long check in I was literally miserable and hot and sweaty from the humidity (it takes a day or two to get use to). And after the long trek to find our room which seemed like forever to get to, I was even more miserable. After quickly freshening up and finding our way to the buffet for dinner to meet all the rest of our family, my mood changed for the better. I quickly realized what an amazing resort this place is and by lunch time the next day I had this resort mapped out no problem. It may seem overwhelming at first but it takes no time at all to figure it out. This was the cleanest resort I have ever been too. There are workers cleaning and gardening all the time to make sure it stays prestine. This resort had the biggest buffet I had ever seen. Anything you could imagine was there. There was no issues ever finding a large enough table to accomdate 10-12 people at a time at the buffets. There is actually two buffets but they open up the doors that seperate the food at each buffet and you then have the option to choose your food from both of them. And this was some delicious buffet food. I found the staff at the buffet very good up until the last two days. The last two days when we went for breakfast they barely came around to our table which bothered me a bit since we did tip $3 every morning when we were finished. We ate at the buffet every day for breakfast lunch and dinner for the first two days. After that we made reservations at the a la carte restaurants. We never once had an issue making reservations at the restaurants, and we always booked the day before and even once the day of. The first restaurant we went to was Rodizzio the brazillian steak and pasta place. We had a reservation for 13 of us and they accomodated us very well. I had the tenderloin and it was AMAZING. My husband and I liked it so much we went back 3 more times for dinner during our stay. We also tried the Sante Fe Steakhouse but we found the tenderloin to be better at Rodizzio. Although I can say that the desserts at the Sante Fe Steakhouse were massive and delicious. And I have a sweet tooth so the brownie dessert with ice cream at the steakhouse really hit the spot. We had breakfast at the buffet at the Palace every morning and for lunch we went next door to the tropical and went to their buffet which was a 2 minute walk or less from the pool at the Barcelo Palace. They buffet at the tropical had the best hot dogs. I ate like 3 of them for lunch everyday. Other than the buffet at the Tropical we did not venture off outside of the Barcelo Palace. There was no need to. This place had it all and then some. The pool was MASSIVE. It was the best pool we had ever been it. The resort was at full capacity but it never felt like it at the pool. You had all the room you needed and then some. Our group sat in the same spot in the pool every day and we loved it. It was our little corner of the pool and we loved the built in lounge chairs. My husband and I did go off to the adults only pool one afternoon but we never stayed there. There was no sun on that side and we had no issues in the first place with kids bothering us in the big pool. I think most kids stuck to the waterslides which were in thier own area of its own. We did hit up the ocean 2 times but we preffered to spend our time in the pool. The beach was gorgeous, but it was windy the 8 days we were there and the one day we tried to relax on the beach it was so windy that the sand was blowing all over us so we left to the pool. If you want to swim with turtles and snorkle this is the resort for you. Every time we went into the ocean the sea turtles where there. One actually swam under my brother and sister in law. It is a bit rocky along the shore line in some spots so watch where you are walking. Because it was so windy it made the ocean choppy and stirred up the sand at the bottom of the ocean. This made it hard for snorkeling and if you dont like swimming where you cant see beneath you then the ocean probably isn't the best choice.
My husband and I did get a 50 minute couples massage on the beach which was sooo good. You get a booklet of coupons to use within the resort at check in and with our coupon used it was $135 US for the massages. Everything at the resort is pretty much charged to your room. You cant pay cash anywhere. The gift shops and hat shops, and spa/massages is all charged to your room. You just give them your room number and the number off your bracelet and Charged!!!
We never did go to any of the evening shows. We walked in one night and it looked like a snore fest so we walked right back out. We spent our evenings every night in the lobby bar sitting outiside. The first two nights the bartenders at the lobby bar refused to make us any shots other than tequila. They said you can only get tequila shots nothing else. I was mad about that. If you are paying almost $2000 a person for a week you should get whatever drink you want since its all inclusive. Half way through our trip we all finally figured out if you want shots you have to order them from the waitress not the bartenders. We never had an issue after that. Spider man shots were our favorite and also mayan riveira shots.
The wedding was beautiful and handled really well. It all went very smoothly and the cocktail hour between the ceremony and the reception was awesome. They served ALOT of appitizers which were all so delicous and we had our own bartenders that would make you whatever you wanted. The food at the reception was scrumptious. It was a plated 3 course meal. To start they served ceaser salad and it was the best ceaser salad any of us have ever had. The main course was chicken which was delicous also. We had the best bartenders at the recpetion which made the best tasting shots and blended drinks ever. They were to die for. The best part of the wedding was after the reception we were all hot and sweaty from dancing that we all went to the pool to the cliffs and jumped into the pool wearing our formal wear. The bride in her gown, the boys in their tuxes, the girls in their bridesmaid dresses, and all the guests in their fancy clothes. It was so much fun. It was dark and nobody was in the pool except us and we partied and and played in the pool for about an hour. We even choreographed our own syncronized swimming routine.
All in all this trip was so much fun and the only negative I can say about this resort is that the front desk attendants suck. Get some new front lobby staff and this is definately a 5 star resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
  • Polish first
Timmins, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Since this was our 3rd visit we had requested a room facing the pool and were very disappointed that our request was not met.Also being a repeat customer one might expect a little gift basket or some token of their appreciation but this did not happen.Now on to my review.We booked in with Air Canada vacations as we always do and my wife and I brought 2 of our grandsons ages 10 and 14. The transfer at the airport was flawless as usual and we were at the resort by early afternoon. I found the check in this time around to be slow but no biggy.The resort complex is made up of 5 resorts and we have access to the other 4. However the patrons from the other resorts cannot go on this property.The resort is very big and beautiful.The rooms are spacious and very nice. Everything works perfect. The buffet's are also very big with a huge variety of fantastic tasting food. The main pool is absolutely huge and the water temperature is perfect. They have a very nice childrens area with slides and other fun things for them.If you like shopping you can take a taxi into Playa Del Carmen which has everthing that you want. We did this twice before so we went to the resort 2 doors down and shopped at the outdoor mall which is very nice. I could write a whole lot more about all the restaurants and things to do but it would take too long. However I would just like to say that if anyone is expecting 100% perfection everywhere they go than stay the hell home.I have never seen a flawless resort but this one comes very close.

Room Tip: This resort is huge so try and get a room closer to the main pool or beach
Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed at the BMP with 3 friends for 10 days - Jan 23 - Feb 3/13. Was great, as usual. Love the grounds, the snorkeling, a la carte restaurants (had reservations every night), the staff, beach, drinks, and level of service. If you're a frequent visitor, make sure you let them know when booking or on facebook to receive a bit of special attention.

Went to Chichen Itza with a Sunwing package on a deluxe bus, was a fantastic experience.

Will be booking a 7th trip to the Barcelo Maya Palace for spring/summer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here over spring break for a friend's wedding. The place was beautiful and for the most part the staff was very accommodating. Just like the other reviews have stated; the restaurant situation was awful. We could only get 1 reservation the entire week we stayed. The concierge told us "we should have tried to book all the reservations the first night." First- nobody told us that and they should of. Second-we did try the day we checked in and the only reservation they had open was the night before we left (for 4 people and we made that reservation). The girl at the concierge desk acted as though this was my problem that I couldn't get a reservation. Very rude. We had to eat at the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner and it was nothing special and the menu didn't change to keep it interesting. The same buffet everyday for 7 days when the resort advertised many other amazing restaurants is not my idea of a vacation! The front desk situation was not good. It took us about an hour to check in and then could not get our rooms. This was fine as we arrived late morning. When we came back at 4pm to get our room keys we had to wait in another long line (40 mins before someone came to help us) and then they only gave us 1 room key and told us to come back the next day. It took us a couple of days to get another key but we finally got one. Others in our party were not as successful. When we checked in the maids were still in our room and when they left we realized they didn't leave any hand soap. When my husband went to ask for some they tried to dig the soap out of the garbage to give to us. We declined the garbage soap and later found some that seemed legit. The rooms are very big and we were very happy with it all week. If you have troubles walking long distances I would ask for a room closer to the pool, ocean, and restaurants. (I think this could require an upgrade) We were in the 4400's and this was about a 15 minute walk to anything in the resort. This place is huge! My friend's wedding was amazing here. Everything was beautiful and the dinner they served was very good. Overall with the restaurant situation, front desk issues, and the rude concierge I would take my money to another resort. The only reason why this is getting an average score and not a poor is because of the stunning wedding and the treatment my friend received here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were there for our daughter's wedding and this resort was wonderful. The staff are very experienced in such events and all is handled very well by them behind the scenes. For us, it was a no hassle (almost stress free) event! The resort is very spacious, very large swimming pools, plenty of seating around all of them and on the beach. There are also several very good restaurants and the buffets are enormous. The resort stretches along the beach and there are panoramic vistas everywhere. I have been to other resorts that are rated 5 star but this one is a cut above the ones I've seen. My only complaint - mattress is of average quality.

Room Tip: If walking is an issue, ask for a room near the lobby and you will be near the restaurants.
Saco, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
I traveled April 2013. One of the first things I did when I got back was to re-read the negative reviews to try to see why those people didn’t have a great time. Yes it is very big and no, I didn’t see many staff canvassing the beach to ask you if you wanted a cocktail. If you are THAT snotty rent your own house with your own staff.
I loved it here, but arguably, I am easy to please. This was my 4th all inclusive trip and probably the best yet.
Size… yes it is big, I was concerned that my 5 year old would wear out. We were fine. There are 5 properties lined up side by side, and encompasses 1.2 miles (2 KM) of sandy beach. We bounced around only 3 of them, the Palace, where we stayed, and the Tropical and Colonial. The resort claims to have a shuttle going from one end of the resort to the other. I heard people say it was non-existent. If the resort is too big for you, just stay at the one you are renting at.
There was a small shopping center right outside of the Tropical resort which we didn’t realize until we left.
Our room was #8580 in the 2nd building back (of 4) in the Oaxaca side of the Palace. We were 150 feet from the pool and 900 feet from the buffet at the La Hacienda. We were also just 300 feet from the buffet at the Tropical resort. Since we were never in a hurry we found these walks to the furthest buffet was not an issue, in fact a few times, just for fun, we went to breakfast at KUKULKAN arguably on the other end of the resort. Our room was on the 1st floor and we had no issues with noise except once at 5:30 AM a few partiers were playing in the fountain and woke me up. We had a very slight sent of mildew when you first walked into our room but a quick minute with the doors open and we were all set. It was not surprising since we dragged in tons of water every day. Some days we left the balcony door open at night and just had the screen shut. The birds are very load there and get up early. We had 2 queen size beds and 2 day bed sofas which was plenty for our family of 5. The AC and fan worked great. The room had a mini fridge which struggled to keep the soda, water and Corona cold but that was fine, we had all we wanted from the bar.
Check in: took 45 minutes! I mean really, they knew I was coming, you’d think they could speed it up. I had a slight issue since I booked their airport / hotel transfer for $325 but did not use it and it took them awhile to get it off my bill.
Transfers: I used USA Tours on recommendation of my co-worker. It was GREAT and was about a 1 hour easy 40 – 50 mile ride from the airport. The cost was $135 US for the ride roundtrip, tip not included. They met me right outside of baggage claim as the said, showed me to my private, clean, cool, late model, comfortable van and within 10 minutes of getting my luggage we were on our way down the road. They even had the car seat I requested, which was very high quality. Our driver, Wilson, was safe and friendly. I tipped $20 on way to the resort and $24 the way back to the airport. One the way back to the airport, they were at the hotel early for me. I could not imagine taking the bus with 70 other idiots, and all the waiting for luggage to be loaded, people dropped off at their airlines, etc. For $200 US less, I got a personal service. USA Tours also offered me discount to XCaret with a private van to leave the park on my own schedule, but I lost their number, so booked it through the hotel. This would have been great since we lost interest in the 7 – 9 PM show real fast but were stuck there since our ride left at 9:40PM. I will be leaving a separate excellent review on the USA Tour web site. http://www.entertainment-plus.net/ or www.usatour.com
Local calls: $3 each
Kids pools with kid slides: There are two, a good size one at the Palace and a bigger one at the Colonial. There is also a kid’s trampoline/bungee jumping thing at the Colonial pool that you need to sign up for at 3:45 PM (15:45, all their time is military time), it starts at 4:00 PM (16:00) My kids really liked it, it was worth the walk down there for it.
Pools: Very clean 1.2 meters deep (4 feet) and NOT over chlorinated. Barcelo needs to brag more about the size of the pools. They were so big that we had to come up with a new word to describe them: Redonkulous. I was there for 10 minutes and already wanted to extend my trip. The big one at the Palace seemed like it was about 150+ meters long and at one point 100 meters+ wide. There is also a 6 foot ‘cliff jump’ on the very far end of the pool on the fake rock wall. The twin pools next door at the Tropical & Colonial were nearly 2x as big, just Redonkulous. From the map, I see that the Maya Beach looks like they have a big pool too, but I didn’t make it there. Don’t get excited for the built in lounge chairs in the pools. They are not ergonomically good and you ½ float out of them, I saw zero people in them.
At the Palace, there is also an adults only pool and a +/- 15M x 40M lap pool. I am guessing on the size.
Towels: They give you a card for as many towels as people you have in your room. You can trade in your wet towels anytime for a warm dry one. People may take your towels if you leave them on a chair to reserve your spot. But just go to the beach around 5:00 and pick up as many abandoned ones as you need.
Crowd: the people at the Palace seemed to be a cut above culturally compared to the other resports. There were many groups of friendly Canadians down for weddings. The other pools seemed to have “20 something” crowds of partiers who would throw a football in the pool. The Palace pool just seemed a little quieter.
Animal Photos: Every day they have a different animal for you to have a picture with. They had a baby lion, toucan, big Iguana, two spider monkeys etc. The photos are $15 each and they get mad if you try to take your own photo of your kids with the animals.
ATV riding: 2x we rented 4 wheelers right on the resort. They were $60 for a double and $45 for a single. You go for an hour and it breaks down to about 25 minutes of riding and 25 minutes of swimming in a small Cenote. The 2nd time we did it, we asked if we could do more riding and no swimming. Since no-one else booked at that tour that hour, they let us do it. We rode on the resort’s paved roads and their dirt road, small trails, and the beach. There is no age limit on the resort, so my 8 year old drove me around, and my 11 year did his solo, but he rides at home. The company is Selva Maya ATV Tours and the guide is JP, very nice people. I didn’t bring my camera so they are going to post my photos on Facebook at the end of the month. Cash only, you can’t charge it to your room. Sun glasses are a must due to the dust you will kick up, it was very fun. Bring a towel as the seats are hot from the sun. There were also Segway tours but we didn’t do that.
Swimming w/ the dolphins: We did the one that was $80 per person, it was close to the resort, there were small shops there to buy trinkets from, it was good. Kids got to hold the dorsal fins for a ride and do a ‘push’ where two dolphins push you by your feet. We were able to charge this to our rooms and we booked right near where we checked in. We also booked XCaret there, and once I asked if they matched USA Tours prices, they quickly offered me 10% off ($139 per adult -10% = $125). XCaret was great but their maps are horrid, at one point we were at the shark exhibit and could not get to the dolphin exhibit which was literally next door but separated by cement walls for no apparent reason. Snorkel in the bay with the rock walls near the turtle exhibit, we saw loads of fish there. If you do the underground snorkeling 1st, you will have to carry your stuff around until you find the starting point of the river, easier said than done. It’s not too bad if you want to snorkel at the ocean since the ending point of the river is the ocean. Buy some “biodegradable” sun block at home and bring it with you, you don’t want to kill the fish. They will require you to have it.
Beach: Beach was great. Lots of sunny areas, lots of palm trees for shade and loads of chairs, you will never go without one. Sand was soft powder and did not get hot, even in the mid day sun. You may find rough rocks entering into the water, if you do look for a path of sand going into the water, you will find on near the life guard station. At the Palace, go into the water about 100 feet or waist/chest high for an adult and look for turtles (2 – 2.5 feet long) look for the turtles out another 10 – 100 feet. They surface and dive right back down, you will see them when the waves crest if there are ocean swells. If you bring dry cookies out to the reef on the left of the beach, you will be able to feed the fish. Where there are rocks, the rocks are VERY rough be careful.
We brought our own snorkel masks and snorkels an am glad we did. It was windy and due to the surf they were not handing any out but we felt safe using our own. The masks also helped keep the salt water out of our eyes when we played in the surf. Consider bringing your own Wal-Mart blow up rafts too, we spent $16 US each for two. The bogie boards were $30-$35 each. A nice Canadian family gave us their when they left, we in turn re-gifted them to family from France when we left.
Warf: at the end of the warf there is big blue float ring where you can hang out and feed tons of fish your cookies etc. that you took from the buffet.
Coaties / Iguanas. We took apples from our room and since our room balcony faced the jungle we were able to feed the Coaties that came out at night. My kids loved spotting the Iguana and we actually were able to pick on up.
Drinking Water: We did not get sick, all the water is bottled even at the buffets. All the bars have bottled water just ask for as many as you need.
Honesty: We heard stories of people losing things from their locked safes at the non-Palace resorts but I had no issue. In fact at one point I left a $50 bill out on top of the safe and an IPod, both were there when I got back to the room.
Staff: 100% friendly and warm. Most spoke English but those that didn’t tried to help with a smile on their faces. If you don’t like it that not all speak your language, learn Spanish.
Bug Spray: I brought it but only saw 1 or 2 mosquitoes.
Bars: yes …. Plenaty …. I found a $1 tip here and there never hurt. The drinks were appropriately mixed and they seemed to have all the upper end brands you could want, Jack Daniels, Barcardi, Absolute etc. but no very top brands like Grey Goose etc. I do not think the other hotels had all-inclusive for drinks since when I drank at their bars they sometimes asked me to sign for them. I suggest the White Russian w/ Kahlua and Absolute as well as a white Bacardi rum punch. For an extra kick order a shot on the side, but you probably won’t need it.
Buffet: Almost as big as the pool. Since the food is mass produced it is not perfect but very good. We really enjoyed the omelet and pasta stations. I was glad to see that they had cereal in the AM. A full bar too … though I did not indulge for breakfast … but many did. You could hear the blenders humming.

Also, the ocean was rough due to winds all 8 days we were there but we still enjoyed it, dont forget your mask!

Room Tip: I was in room 8580 in Oaxca, which is in the 2nd building back out of 4. We were on the 1st floor...
Grafton, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe - 4 adults total with 4 kids (ranging from 5 to 8 years old). The property is beautiful, the kids' pool is the best, and the staff are overall really wonderful. We have stayed at FOUR Iberostars in the past - 2 in Mexico (Paraiso Beach and Mayan), 1 in Dominican (Bavaro), and 1 in Jamaica (Rose Hall Suites) - so this is what I can compare it to. The Barcelo Palace is most closely compared to the Iberostar Mayan - I agree with a previous reviewer that if you can afford to go with the palace, do it, it is truly the nicest of all the Barcelo resorts on this property.

Positives compared with Iberostar: The restaurants are ALL oceanfront, with beautiful views. The pool is oceanfront, so it is easy to walk from the pool to the beach and back again. The Barcy kids club is also right by the pool, so the kids could play there for a little bit and know that we were very close by. My husband thinks the food was a step up from Iberostar, but I'm not sure I agree - I think it's all about the same. The Mexican food is the best, which is not surprising.

Negatives compared with Iberostar: The rooms do not have DVD players. This is a HUGE negative when one is traveling with kids. You can rent a DVD player for $20 PER DAY. This seems outrageous when you can buy a brand new DVD player for <$100. Also, the room service is NOT included in the 'all inclusive' price, which we didn't realize ahead of time. The bed that we had was incredibly uncomfortable - I have never woken up with upper back pain, and I would wake up at 1am regularly with neck/back pain!

Other things (not really negative or positive): Tipping seems more common at the Barcelo than we ever saw at Iberostar - for waitstaff, cleaning people, daycare providers, bartenders, etc. I don't list this as a negative because the staff are working so hard, it feels right to give a few dollars here and there. Just so you know. We didn't have trouble getting reservations at the restaurants, but I'm sure at certain times of year it is more difficult.

Overall I think the Barcelo Deluxe is a slight step up from the Iberostar Mayan - maybe just because the restaurants have such gorgeous views, and the kids pool is fabulous and right next to the main pool. The rooms are about the same, the buildings are similar, the grounds are beautiful in both places. If it weren't for the DVD, the beds, and Room Service, I would say the Barcelo is the better, but these are bigger issues for me. But we had a great week and we will definitely consider returning next year!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!