“Very nice hotel, great service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe

You added Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez km 266.3 | Carretera a Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Chicago, Illinois
“Very nice hotel, great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed for one week during Thanksgiving holiday. Returned Nov 27. My wife, daughter and I stayed at the the Maya Palace Deluxe. Overall, the hotel is gorgeous. The architecture and grounds are immaculate. The service is great. The staff there are very hard working and really seem to go our their way to make sure your needs are met. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. I'm not a big fan of buffets, but there were a lot of choices for the breakfast and lunch buffets. Especially good is the sea food and Mexican food.

We ate at two of the three main restaurants at the Maya Palace - the sea food one (Caribe) and the French one (Brasserie). The Caribe we thought was far better. Very fresh and well prepared on the two nites we at there. My wife and I ate at an Italian restaurant called Capri at another hotel on the Barcelo property and it too was pretty good.

The one thing that bothered me about the dinners is the wine. Don't expect anything better than marginal wine. When I asked a waiter to show me the house wine, he showed me a Chilean cabernet and Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. Both were somewhat drinkable and I guess the strategy is for you to upgrade and pay for one of the wines on their list. But these are overpriced, even by restaurant standards. The two American wines are Kendall Jackson (red and white). KJ makes good wines, but I recall the prices ridiculously high.

The beach is well maintained and there was never a problem finding a chair. The beach itself is kind of rocky, as others have noted.

The place is generally good for kids. There are many activities for kids and the pool is huge.

So you can't go wrong at this hotel. We had the ocean view room, but it was on the first floor. Still it was convenient to be near the beach. You can also order room service at no additional charge if you're in the "premium" plan. I didn't find the beds a problem. They were comfy and the bathroom was big & well stocked.

You should remember to take some small bills for tipping from time to time. (USD for those coming from the USA). The workers at this hotel all seem to be on 6-day a week shifts and like I said, they were super friendly. So it seemed only right to leave a few bucks after they've tended to you (when I'm not sure they really have to, other than serve you water and bring place settings).

In my view, the Barcelo is very nice. It's pricey but overall worth it. Just improve the house wine and I'd return!

Room Tip: - bring your own cigards because the Cubans are overpriced and the selection of the other is not goo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
  • Polish first
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We've been to this resort 4 times, the last being Thanksgiving Week. Twice we've stayed in the Tropical resort, and the other two in Palace.
I've traveled with family these four times. I really recommend it for families with teens. (I am 16, sister 17, brother 13) They have lots of activities throughout the day, so there's never a chance to get bored. In November it's not too full, but it's not empty either, so I've had the chance to meet lots of great people.
The food is great. Especially Palace's two buffets and all the Restaurants they have. My favorite is definitely the Japanese restaurant Kyoto. I don't recommend the French one, they changed the menu and it's not very good.
The rooms are very spacious and comfortable, we've stayed in the family suite, it's a bit far though. This past time we stayed in the beach view rooms (Club Premium)
I really only recommend this resort for very energetic and active people, because you have to walk a lot to get to restaurants, buffet, etc!

Room Tip: If you don't like walking very much, get Club Premium and you'll get beach or pool view room...
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I've decided to write this review of my families Barcelo Maya Palace stay in 2010 after a recent visit to Riviera Maya and another "palace" resort that begins with an R a few weeks ago. Barcelo Maya Palace is far superior to my recent experience. I traveled there with my wife, son (16) daughter (14). The rooms, drinks, service and beach were the best. While I think the buffets were better during my most recent stay at the R resort that is about it. Barcelo Maya Palace is far superior in every other way. The service was fantastic and never had to ask twice for anything. The grounds were beautiful, great snorkeling right off the beach and the ability to walk to all of the other Barcelo resorts and enjoy their bars and restaurants was great. After my recent trip, Barcelo Maya Palace is worth a 5 star rating!!!! The only reason we didn't return is our last trip to Barcelo was so perfect.. If you have a chance go. The staff there will make every effort to make your trip perfect.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Burlington, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I went to the Barcelo Maya Palace for the second time Oct 2012 on our 7th trip to the Riviera Maya. The Palace is an awesome hotel property. The Bell staff is very friendly and welcoming and take very good care of you on arrival. The food is very good at the Palace and the wait staff especially at the French & Seafood restaurants. The hostess at the French restaurant does need to take control. Our reservation was for 8pm. and we were almost passed up by 8:30 reservations because the hostess was being overwhelmed by the pushy crowd. My husband had to step up or we probably would have left the restaurant. They need to move the hostess stand or get a new hostess that can handle the crowd. Alas their beds are as bad as other reviews say. Lumpy.They've tried to improve them with padding but that is now lumpy. They really need to invest in comfortable beds. With so many resorts to try we probably won't go back there, but do recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I, like many other reviewers, have been to the Barcelo Maya several times.

This was our third visit and first time to the Palace. On previous visits, we stayed at the Tropical. Prior to this visit, out last visit was the first month after the Palace had opened. We weren't sure the extra cost would be worth it because when we went the time before, the beach on the Palace side seemed rocky. That was a couple years ago and I think they've done a lot of work on the beach since then.

Is the Palace worth the extra cost? I think so. The rooms are a little nicer, marginally bigger, but I don't think that's worth the extra cost unless you're one of those people who goes to the beach to spend all their time in their room. You get access to nicer restaurants. I think the buffet food is even better on the Palace side than the Tropical. In addition, you get premium alcohol included.

What I love about this resort and what keeps me going back is the beach. The beach has to be over a mile long. There's great snorkeling right on the beach, with coral. Lots of fish, sea turtles (I saw one every day I was there). You can even see turtles without snorkeling.

The service is good. We had a bit of a bust in one of the a la carte restaurants in terms of service, but otherwise, it was great.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We just returned from 7 days starting November 23, 2012. The property location and facilites are definately 5 stars, but unfortunately that is where the good ratings end. I come from a service background so I am extremely sensitive to service issues (I must also preface that my Spanish is poor which could be partially to blame). The good: very clean and stunning property, maid service was 5 stars, several waitstaff went above and beyond, plenty to keep you busy.
The bad: Front desk staff very cold and not very helpful, the concierge staff were the least friendly of them all, business center not helpful.
The hotel is all inclusive with many restaurant choices, all very mediocre with the exception of the Italian Restaurant (even the Manager was excellent). The service was better at the buffet than most of the full service restaurants.
The biggest disappointmnet was the handling of what could be an excellent discount program. They provide you with a beuatifully packaged set of coupons to help you make use of the premium services (Spa, Premium Wine, Services). The front desk gave no instruction on how to use the coupons so I assumed you presented them at time of purchase. I enjoy good wine and ordered wine every night we had dinner in one of the restaruants that ran between $65 and $150. Several of the coupons were for $10 or $30 depending on the value of the wine. I presented my coupon the first time and the waiter did not know what to do with it. I then assumed that the coupons must be redeemed at checkout. My misfortune, upon checkout I was informed that the coupons must be used at time of purchase and that I should have read the microscopic print on the back of the coupon. The Front Desk Clerk was very matter of fact and agressively rude about it. I felt like throwing the $2000 worth of coupons in the air like confetti and saying thank you but I resisted. The purchases are detailed on the bill and the application of the coupons would be very easy to accomodate. I consider myself an above average tipper and even though this is an all-inclusive property (including tips) I always estimate the cost of the service and add 20-50% gratuity in cash for every transaction and a minimum of $5 a day for maid service. These people need these tips and I was very disappointed to see that almost no customers were tipping anything (which could be the reason most of the staff is so hostile).
If the hotel at least honored my coupons they gave me I wouldn't feel so damaged.
I almost forgot, I laughed when I kept reading reviews about the bad beds until I actually experienced them. BY FAR THE ABSOLUTE WORST BEDS (INCLUDING PILLOWS AND BEDDING) OF ANY HOTEL I'VE EVER STAYED IN AND I TRAVEL EVERY MONTH FOR BUSINESS. I actually slept on the couch every night since it was significantly more comfortable (not a rollout).

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in the hotel, just bad beds.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I consider myself a seasoned veteran of the all inclusive concept and I love Mexico and Riviera Maya. Barcelo Maya Palace was exactly as I expected it. No place is perfect and there are some areas that can be improved but overall if I weigh in the price I paid and what Barcelo offers this is a great place to visit. The Barcelo resort consists of five properties. The Palace being their top billing. Rooms are junior suites which allows for 5 people in the room (reason why we chose this specific property within Barcelo resort). We traveled with a large group of friends and family and for the most part all had similar experiences.

When choosing any type of a resort the first thing I look at is the beach. You go to the Caribbean to enjoy the beautiful color water and the beach. if the beach sucks it doesn't matter how great the other areas of the resort are you will not have a complete vacation. Barcelo resort complex is built on one of the best beaches in the Riviera Maya. It is lined with palm trees providing natural shade and the water is crystal clear with no sea weed and soft sand. As an added bonus the reef provides great snorkeling off the beach with turtles, rays and plenty of fish to feast your eyes on. The water is very calm with no waves which makes swimming perfect for all. The size of the property is so large that it would be impossible for them to run out of room so it was great not to have to worry about reserving seats.

The second most important thing to have a nice vacation is the accommodations. The Palace rooms are junior suites which provides plenty of space. We are a family of five and we felt very comfortable in the room. Two double beds or a king bed plus two day beds. A very large area balcony adds to the feeling of spaciousness. The bathroom is large with a separate toilet area, double sinks, tub with shower and a separate rain shower. A minor observation is that the sliding door to the toilet room does not close and there is no curtain or door in the shower so a bit of a privacy issue there. Plenty of closet space. Our room was on the third floor in the Michoacán (sp?) building. This is a building closer to the lobby. Our room was in the mid section and the walk to the beach, or restaurants was 5 minutes long with three kids so really not an issue. Some in our party had rooms in the last section and that added another 5 minutes of walking for them so really not a big issue at all in my opinion as some other travelers complained. Having said that I do believe it is more convenient to stay in the first or second section which you can request ahead of time as we did and they will try to accommodate it.

Everything else falls in its place in Barcelo. The pool is very large and beautiful. We did not use it much because the water was a bit cold and when there is such an awesome beach who wants to swim in chlorine water? The water park for the kids is amazing. if you see the pictures on the internet it is just as great when you get there. Kids had a blast in the water park. If you have older kids in your party have them go to the one in the Tropical/Colonial resort. For the smaller kids use the one in the Palace. If your kids like rock climbing or bungee walk over to the Caribe/Beach resort area along the beach. Call them ahead of time to check the time when they run it. The kids club is not the best I've seen but it is good enough if you need some time alone. Plenty of organized activities during the day. The grounds are ideally kept, very clean and beautiful. The open air inner corridors of the building with the fountains and greenery provides a very relaxing and tropical feel. Barcelo Palace has a very modern feel to it but the other resorts have more of a Caribbean feel to them. The entertainment is the usual all inclusive type of shows. I would recommend going to the theater at the Tropical/Colonial resort. It is open air vs. the indoor theater at the Palace.

The food is plenty and good. The buffet offers a lot of variety and the a la cart selection is very good. We ate at French, Brazilian, Carib, Steak and Japanese and we generally liked all of them.

The check in / checkout process for us was pretty smooth. If you come alone in a van you will spend 10 minutes checking in but if you come on a bus with 20 other people and there are 20 people already checking in or out you will spend 40 minutes in line. it all depends on the individual situation. No issues with storing and delivery of luggage both in and out easy process. The rooms are ready at around 3 pm so if you come earlier than that it won’t be ready so be prepared. Have a change of clothes easily accessible and start enjoying yourself.

A few useful tips are:
-Ask for a room in the first or second section of either building.
-Read the fine print on the coupons they give you. The coupons are great if you follow the instructions. If you don't read the fine print you can end up regretting using the coupon at the end. For example they offer a 35 dollar coupon for pictures but the fine print clearly says you need to spend 250 to get it. Or a 10/20 dollars off on wine requires a purchase of a 40/80 dollar bottle. My wife went to the spa twice and was able to use the coupons both times.
-See all of the other properties. Each one is different.
-The segway tour offered is awesome. it’s an hour drive through the resort and allows you to see the entire Barcelo complex.
-Upgrade to the club premium is not necessary in my opinion. One couple in our group did it and the amount they paid for the upgrade vs. the benefits received I am not sure is worth it. You do get internet included though with this upgrade so for some that alone might make it worth the price.
-Take a trip to swim with the dolphins. It is a great fun for all ages. We did Dolphin Discovery which had two big pluses. It was 5 minutes away transfer from the hotel and it has a encounter program geared specifically for kids 5 and under who are free with paid adult. Some in our group did a trip to Delphinus park which was also very close and offered a 4 hour program.
-We used Apple Vacations to book our stay and the good thing about Apple and why I always go with them is that transfers are included which eliminates the chaos of the arrival (and it is very chaotic in Cancun with all the timeshare salespeople at the exit and confusing taxi lines and prices). An additional benefit of booking with Apple was that when we got to the check in counter they told us we will not need any towel cards and can just get and return towels as we please.

So with all the nice things I wrote why a four star rating? As I said no one is perfect and the one thing that struck me in this resort is that while generally nice the staff did not want to go the extra mile to please. This has always been a staple of service in Mexico. Here in Barcelo Palace I just did not feel it. some of the examples are:
- On two days our room was not cleaned before we brought the kids for the afternoon nap. We would be out of the room every day from 8:30 to about 2:30. Never before have I had an issue with the room not getting cleaned in that much time. In fact everywhere I travelled before the staff usually knows your moving patterns by day 2. Here it did not happen which was odd.
- On more than one occasion when asking to move tables together at the buffet to make room for more people to sit together we were told no which again was unusual for me.
- A small child in our group fell asleep during dinner and when we asked for her nuggets to take with us we were told no. I am still not sure I understand why is there such policy.
- All three times that I had to call the front desk for something required multiple call backs as nothing was getting done.

The reason I saved these for the end is because none of my complains ruined our fabulous vacation. I think there is definitely room to improve the customer service a little to make it an even better place but again I do think the price to value ratio was very good. All in all thumbs up for Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!