“4th Visit & Still Exceeds Expectations!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe

You added Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez km 266.3 | Carretera a Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Plano, TX
“4th Visit & Still Exceeds Expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Just returned from our 4th visit to the Palace and the name fits. Your first impression sets the stage and shows the resort's attention to detail. The gorgeous grounds are beautifully maintained. You will daily see how diligent they are in keeping things in immaculate condition. On this visit we met lots of other people who were also returning families with multiple visits to this location. I think that speaks volumes to the quality of this resort. Mexico is always an exceptional value and short flight from DFW and when you add the Palace experience it is easy to see why people would return. The beach is fantastic. This year we came in June and it is supposed to be the "rainy season" though we had great weather the week we were there. The water was a little choppy but we still had the same wonderful snorkeling experiences right off the beach. We saw a group of 4 large stingrays, several turtles, an eagle ray and numerous tropical fish! We always prefer to bring our own snorkeling equipment. The food was delicious and I am not sure why there is the occasional review of a boring buffet. A buffet is a buffet and of course there will be some repetition but the quality and assortment of the food is top notch. In four trips we have never been sick. There is not wait staff at the beach but we had no significant wait time at the beach bars and the drinks are delicious. Really loved my margaritas on the rocks with Herradura tequilla. Great caipirinhias too! Great top notch liquors on call at the Palace. The service and food in the buffet was always great and the wait staff is friendly, pleasant, and eager to please. On this visit we went to one of the reservation-only restaurants every night. We made all of our reservations for the entire week on the afternoon that we arrived and I highly suggest doing this as soon as your arrive after receiving your bracelet and while you are waiting for your room. The rooms are very nice and the bathroom tub and shower is my favorite. The linens are nice. The mattress has a quilted topper but a little too hard for my tastes but I never sleep that well away from home so it is not really a complaint. The AC in the room works great. The Caribe Restaurant in the Palace is my favorite. It has a very romantic atmosphere, delicious food, and the service was impeccable and professional.
The Brasserie French restaurant is also very good with a chic, sophisticated ambiance. We chose this for the night of our wedding anniversary last year. The Kyoto Japanese Restaurant at the Palace is not air-conditioned because during the day it serves as The Coral Grill Beach Restaurant. Regardless it is breezy and very nice. Sake and teppanyaki makes it worth the visit. We went to some of the other restaurants at other parts of the resort and while there was not the same level of accommodations as at the Palace the food was still very good. The waiters at the Santa Fe Steak could use a little more practice. If you enjoy wine then be prepared to pay an additional fee to purchase a good bottle of wine with your meals. It is worth taking a morning stroll on the extensive grounds at this resort because each part of the Barcelo complex is a bit different. The Tropical and Colonial has beautiful grounds. I would mention that because we went in June there were not as many children at the resort as there were last year in July. We considered an adults-only resort for our trip this year but decided against it because of the level of excellence in every area at the Palace. We had a few problems with the internet again this year, but the technical staff was quick to send someone to our room. They were very polite and worked quickly to resolve the problem. There is only one area of service that could use improvement and it is the check-in process. Many people are very frustrated with this process but I think there are some possible ways that this could be improved. 1) Travel agents should better inform their clients that the rooms will not be available till 3:00 pm. Travelers who arrive early have most likely been traveling for hours and are tired and hungry. Why arrive early if you can't get to your room and have to sit and wait in the bar? It would be wonderful if the hotel would suggest having lunch, making dinner reservations for the week, and then perhaps going for a swim while they wait. 2) Since many guests book the resort through various agencies there is definitely advance notice of when the guests will be departing. It appears that the resort does an exceptional job in the preparations for other events, weddings, etc. so I would think that if they had more notice from the travel agencies as to when guests would depart that they could begin the room preparations earlier in the day when possible and would have advance notice of those guests departure. 3) Most of the booking agencies require you to confirm their departure pick up time the day after you arrive and it usually about 2 1/2 hours before flight departure. This check-in process is the only part of the visit that we have not liked but considering everything else, we have learned to expect it and it is small price to pay for such a wonderful all-inclusive resort vacation. I highly recommend this trip for couples, families with young children (the water park is a big hit), and families traveling with seniors since things are very handicap accessible. Again a wonderful experience that we will always treasure.

Room Tip: We were in the Michouacan building #8167 and it was very quiet with a nice view of the tree tops and...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Polish first
East Berlin, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Our family of 5 (three children aged 16, 14 and 10) stayed at Barcelo Palace 6/15-6/22. We booked our trip in January. I am a planner (especially with 3 kids along) and spent weeks doing my research about the resort and the surrounding area. My husband and I love to travel and have been on cruises, hotels, timeshares, resorts, etc. in Europe and the Caribbean. This was our first time in Mexico. We booked Barcelo through our travel agent, with Apple Vacations. We were met at the Cancun airport by an Apple rep and had to/from transfers through Apple. We booked our excursion through the Apple rep, but otherwise did not interact with Apple through the week. They were friendly and helpful though!

Check in: We arrived on a Friday afternoon. I was already resigned to a long wait for our room, because of the many reviews I read. I knew we had the Club Premium, but was unsure of it's value, until we were immediately whisked away to the Club Premium lounge for check in. There we received a welcoming glass of champagne, booked 4 restaurants for our preferred times and received our bracelets and room keys, all within 15 minutes. The club lounge has free internet access, snacks and drinks all day. This is where I got my morning coffee and checked my email. With the premium package, we got one wi-fi password free for the week, and we purchased another with coupons for a total of $16 for the week. That kept our two older children connected to their friends. We also got unlimited towel service and 10% off our shopping.
Room: We arrived to our room and our luggage was already there! We had a bottle of tequila, grapes and a welcoming letter waiting. Yes, the room smelled a bit musty upon entering, but that cleared up within hours of having the air conditioner on. It's the rain forest, it's hot and humid, so that was expected! The room was spacious, even for the 5 of us. It was cleaned everyday, thoroughly. We were supplied with ample towels, there's shampoo and conditioner (which was good quality), and toiletries. The fridge was ok, not always cold, but there was an ice bucket that we used to cool down the beer. It was resupplied daily, as were the snacks. We stayed in room 8518, facing the beach and steps from the pool-well worth the upgrade- because some rooms seemed to be a trek to the pool and beach. The room complex is shaped like two parallel T's. The tops of the T's face the ocean, all other rooms are situated back, but with lovely garden views! We were told there are about 800 rooms at the Palace and they were at 93% capacity, yet it never seemed crowded anywhere we went. For those that say the resort is too large, keep in mind that today's cruise ships accommodate 3-4 times the max. capacity of this resort. Book a boutique hotel, if you want small. We rather liked the largeness of the resort-we walked each morning and constantly found new areas to see and enjoy.
Dining:
Everything was fabulous! The buffets were great, with different items each day. We ate at the buffets for breakfast and lunch and twice for dinner. The servers were always quick to deliver drinks and take our plates. Sometimes we forgot cash for tips, but they never seemed to expect a tip or change their service because of this. For those that say the buffets were boring-I'm not sure why. Obviously you can't eat everything on the buffet, everyday-we tried to space out our food choices so we didn't overeat and could enjoy all the options over time! There were omelette bars, pasta bars, Asian grills, hamburger and meat grills, sushi bars, fruit shakes...just everything you could imagine!
We ate at the Brazilian, French, Caribe and Japanese restaurants. The French was by far the best. Our family ate caviar and escargot, steak and lobster. The Brazilian was a meat lovers paradise, but too much for me. The Caribe had great fish meals and the Japanese was good, as well. After all that food, we were happy to have a break from 4 course meals, and enjoyed lighter fare at the buffets.
Grounds:
The grounds of this resort were amazing! I was impressed at how many people worked tirelessly to ensure the upkeep of the area. The beach was amazing! For those that say there was coral and rocks-wow-it's nature. There were plenty of sandy areas to swim, but the coral areas are where the fish were! My son saw tons of fish, a ray and a sea turtle with just a mask and only a few feet from shore. There were always plenty of lounge chairs by the beach, but pool loungers were at a premium. Get up early and stake your claim. HINT: use your own, colorful, beach towel to claim your chairs, otherwise your claim looks the same as all the others. Reserving chairs isn't technically allowed (signs everywhere), but we found everyone was doing so. The pools were amazing, large and never felt crowded.
We got up early each morning for a walk, and wandered around the other 4 resorts that are part of Barcelo. We found them all to be well kept and beautiful, but could clearly see the difference with the palace (more upscale). Long walks on the beach were great-Barcelo complex allowed us at least 1+ mile of beach to explore.
Activities:
We booked the Tulum extreme excursion, consisting of ziplining, rapelling, cenote snorkeling and a tour of Tulum Mayan ruins. Our children loved the activities, we loved the history at Tulum! I would highly recommend this tour over others, because Tulum is close to the resort (20 mins), so not alot of travel time. The other Mayan ruins are further away, and Tulum is along a gorgeous stretch of beach!
We also booked a snorkeling excursion to Akumel to see the turtles. This was ok, but it rained (not their fault), and my daughter and I got a little sea sick (again, not their fault). It was a 30 minute boat ride to Akumel and then back to a little inlet north of the Palace.
The activities on the resort were ok. The activities staff worked very hard to get people involved in things like volleyball, water polo, basketball, aerobics, games, etc. We did some of the activities, but also enjoyed our downtime.
The nightly shows were so-so. The staff clearly worked very hard, but we felt the shows were a bit "cheesy". The sound system seemed muffled, and the sets were second rate. The Fuego Latino show was the best. Fantasia and Karaoke wasn't that great.
Overall-we loved our time at Barcelo and would go back in heartbeat! Our 10 year old loved everything about the place! Our teenagers enjoyed themselves, too. They clearly cater to families and try to keep the drunk partying groups quiet. Only on our last night there was our sleep interrupted by loud music and people.
Con's:
The beds were hard and the pillows more so. I resorted to using my arm for a pillow.
There could have been more to do for teens, but again-it is what you make of it, and our teens were typically unimpressed with almost everything. It's the age. They could have gotten themselves involved in so much more!
Everything else was fabulous!

Room Tip: Upgrade to ocean view, second or third floor, if possible. You'll be closest to the beach and po...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We were at the barcelo in june 2012 and found it to be way too big, we travelled there as a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids 9yrs and 12yrs and met up with another family. We found it to be way too big, and impersonal, the staff were rude or semi nice but dont expect any to go out of the way for you. The most annoying part was that 95% of the shops at the hotel was room charge or visa/mc only, this made it very hard to budget, especially since we brought cash for shopping. The beds were very hard-still recovering.The food was very good though. I personally did not like the beach.. was not the smooth baby power sand as the iberostar paraiso beach where we had stayed earlier in Jan. The pool was very nice but boring..no music or entertainment at the pool.. we did walk down to the "lower" class resorts of Barcelo and found better service and lots of entertainment and nicer buildings... all in all it was ok, but we will not be returning, we like the smaller resort style better

Room Tip: choose a room closer to the lobby, pool side, main floor.. will save you walking to resturants since...
Oviedo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My overall experience at this hotel was excellent, would like to return next year!
Our arrival:
We arrived on a Saturday, it was a very busy day and took us about 1.5 hours from the point we arrived to the time we got in our room. Next time I would probably plan to come on another day besides a Saturday. They were stingy with the room key only giving us one per room, we were told to return for additional key because they ran out (I have never heard of such a thing, but ok.) A person helped us with our luggage and upon entering our room discovered that this was a room under construction, yikes. The person called the front desk and brought us to another room - much to our surprise we were upgraded as a result - we got a family suite - nice!
Restaurants:
There is a buffet option open nightly, no reservations needed. The fancier restaurants (included in AI price) required a reservation. We made reservation immediately upon arrival as it seems the time slots were filling pretty quickly. We were traveling with children so opted to go to the fancier restaurants every other night. This worked out great because then we had more time to relax, let kids nap pre-dinner. All restaurants were great, expect to sweat in the Japanese restaurant (at palace) as there is no AC (kids were very cranky). The food was great all around, buffets amazing.
Barcy club (kids club) -
My kids loved it, they never wanted to leave. We would go pick them up and they begged to stay! There is one night that is a PJ party night - leave them there and go for a quiet dinner!
Beach -
Great beach. Purchase fish food in the gift shop for $1 and you can feed the fish while you are in the ocean, they come right up to you, it was such a cheap, great activity.
Pools -
Great pools, kiddy play area amazing. I even went down the slides!
Drinks -
The alcoholic beverages are watered down. After a couple of days I started drinking champagne (can't water that down!) and asking for double shots in my drinks. Also you can specify the brand liquor you want, otherwise they will give you the cheap stuff. Consider bringing your own thermal mug, saw lots of people with these.
Concerns about Mexico water -
We drank the water at all of the restaurants and used the ice in the drinks and had no problems (they use bottled water in the restaurants). If you ask for water anywhere in the resort it is plentiful and they give you bottled water. We were really concerned about this. When we brushed our teeth, we used the bottled water but my brothers family did not and they did not get sick.
Have a great time! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a hammock on the balcony!
illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

family group of ten, stayed june9-16.i am so glad i chose this resort to take my family.it is a great resort for all age groups.many activities. the childrens pool is phenominal. great slides for the little ones and slightly larger, faster slides for the older children. the adult only pool is in a beautiful setting, the largest pool is so big, it never feels crowded.water temp was great. the ocean is a beautiful turquoise blue. rooms are very nice, always cleaned well. each room has your own patio. you do have to walk quite a bit so if you have difficulty getting around this resort may not be for you. the walk to your room is filled with plants, fountains etc. the whole resort is decorated nicely.buffets are quite good for an alinclusive. many choices. tried brazilian, french, and seafood restaurants. all very good. reservations are required.had no problems getting reservations for a group of ten.felt very safe there. my daughter left her wallet in the bathroom with large amount of cash and charge cards. some nice person turned it in, with nothing missing. kudos to you whoever you are.my son and his fiance had a symbolic wedding. they did a very nice job. my hat is off to the servers and bartenders. they work their tail off, nonstop! everyone was always helpful and courteous.had no problems with the service. very happy with everything. took private transfers from airport to hotel with lomas travel. well worth the extra 20.00 per person. only exursion we did was whale shark snorkel trip. what an experience ! my only complaint- beds are way too hard for my taste and i hate wearing wrist bands. (they did cut off the bride and grooms though for pictures) photographer did a great job. when i walked around the resort i felt like i was in awe. bring sunblock, water shoes for the ocean.and your own snorkel gear. men need long pants for restaurants.(not buffets )

Nellysford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Family group of ten in Club Premium. Awesome. This was our 16th visit to Riviera Maya and was clearly the best. This is an awesome hotel with wonderful customer focused service. We were there from 9 to 16 June. Club Premium is worth the extra cost: walked by the 30ish folks at the reception desk to the Club Premium lounge for private check-in and ala carte restaurant reservations.Got all the ala carte restaraunt reservations we asked for: French,Brazilian,Caribbean, Japanese Show-Table etc.Club Premium lounge at other hotels in complex was closet-like; this was very pleasant and the dedicated concierge was very helpful.Grounds were great and very family friendly. Towards the end of our visit a large corporate group ( Pirelli Tires) brought many Italian folks and the service in the buffetts slowed observably. Other than this the overall experience was clearly 5 star! This is a wonderful family venue...kids of all ages are catered to well.

Room Tip: Club Premium is ocean view and well worth the extra cost!Lots of extra amenities...
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed at Barcelo maya Palace from 6/12-6/17. We were originally scheduled to arrive 6/10 but due to a death in the family we had to change our reservation. We are vacation club members and I would just like to thank Valentine for making this change graciously, making this one less thing to worry about during this time. Which is more than I can say for American Airlines who charged us nearly double our original air fair for a flight that was originally non stop to a flight with a layover. Maybe Karma has something to do with why they can't make money. (sorry for the negative vibes) We checked in at the premium club suite, where Karen handled our checkin and dinner reservations with a wonderful cheerful smile. Great way to start our wonderful vacation. Our rooms were premium club ocean view in the Oaxaca building. This being our third time to the Barcelo Palace the rooms were as we expected, wonderful. Our first night we had a room with two double beds which we changed to a King bed the next day without any problems. Our traveling partners had a king room also ocean view and this being their first time at the Palace they were thrilled with the room and the view. And yes as everyone has stated the fridge is stocked everyday and does not get very cold but there are ice machines on every floor. We ate at the French (excellent), Mexican (fair), Japanese Hibachi (excellent), Santa Fe Steak House (excellent), and Brazillian (excellent). And let me say, we were not originally thrilled going to the Brazillian since in the past as stated in other reviews the meat tended to be overcooked but our traveling companions wanted to go there. I have to say we were pleaseantly surprised at the quality and quantity of the meat selections. Every meat selection was seasoned perfectly and cooked to perfection, well done Barcelo. Another area where things have improved is the bartenders attitudes particularly at the CoCo bar at the large pool. The bartenders were friendly and courteous even with large crowds to serve, a particular shout out to Oscar who made the best especial margaritas on the rocks. As stated in previous reviews the grounds are amazing, the wait staff in the restaurants, the maids and landscapers are all hard working and take pride in what they do. A smile and an Hola go a long way. We did tip our servers, maids, bartenders throught our stay but it was NEVER expected (just the right thing to do) and the service was the same to everyone, even the people who did not tip.

The best advice I can give is disregard the negative reviews, enjoy your stay, smile, enjoy the beauty of the resort and the people and have a great time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!