“You can't find better” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe

You added Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez km 266.3 | Carretera a Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Westland, Michigan
“You can't find better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We just returned from our vacation at Barcelo Maya Palace. It is our second visit to Barcelo, and last time we stayed at Colonial. We loved it the first time and that is why we returned the second time to Palace. Ironically, first time we stayed during H1N1 (Bird flu) and this time it was tropical storm Rina, which we missed by a few hours. We arrived on Friday, October 28th and left on November 6th. The first and second time the resorts were empty, and to be honest, we loved it because it was no lines, and we did not have to compete for good place under the sun (LOL). We were able to make reservations for every day to all restaurants we wanted, it was no problem.
Our check in was fast and we had no problems. We got building that is close to the pools and restaurants. We stayed in Miochan... (sorry, don't remember the exact name) in room 8150, and it was perfect location for us. Room was very spacious, in contemporary style, with a lot of closet space. The room has two day beds, which can be used as a bed for a child. I slept one night there and it was OK. A lot of people were writing that beds and pillows are too hard. I have to agree with that, but it was not a big problem for us. Bathroom has 2 sinks, shower and tub with shower, which is very convenient. Toilet has the privacy door. Our balcony had a beautiful view of the garden. The buildings have 3 floors and you can take the elevator or you can take the steps, we preferred the steps, it was a good exercise. But it is a nice option for elderly or someone with disabilities. A lot of people were mentioning that resort is so big; you have to walk a lot. Well, this resort is a part of 4 other resorts, and if you want to visit other resorts, you will have to walk a lot. They also have the charter bus that takes you from one lobby to the other. But if you stay in Palace, you can walk from your room to the pool and the beach in 5-10 min maximum. All restaurants are waterfront and from pool/beach it would take no more than 5 minutes of walking. Another good option, if you are walking to restaurants or lobby from your room, they have a covered walkway, which is very nice in case of bad weather, or even if it is just too hot. And it is no more that 5-10 min of walking as well. I believe the hotel does offer wheel chairs as well. I'm mentioning all these because I think it would be helpful for someone with disabilities or elderly people. This resort is handicap friendly. As a matter of fact, I think it is even the best place to choose for elderly and people with disabilities.
The pools and beach are just gorgeous, there are no words to describe it, you have to see it and experience it.
The food is above average. If someone expects Ritz Carlton quality, you’ll be disappointed. But if you have reasonable expectations you won’t be disappointed. For breakfast I had omelet and coffee. But there are other many choices. For lunch I had cooked to order Groupier fish, shrimp, scallops, T-bone, rib eye steak, burger or hot dogs, chicken. So, if you will not eat all that selection in one lunch, you will have nice selection of food for every day. For diner we were going to restaurants. We went to Caribbean, French, Brazilian, Sea food, Spanish, it was OK. Two times we went to Japanese and it was my favorite. For someone who expects high class dining you will be disappointed, but if you don't have highest expectations you will be impressed with the food. Over all, we had very good vacations for the money we spent. I think this resort is well worth it. My only disappointment was the lack of entertainment from entertaining team. Every morning at 10 am there was a Spanish lesson, than they offered stretching class on the beach, aqua aerobic at 12 pm, and samba/meringue lesson at 4 pm. I was expecting more fun and crazy games. It would be nice if there was more fun and interacting activities. So, if you are looking for the party time, it is not the resort for you. But I think that could be fixed

Room Tip: Ask to stay in Michocan buildings closer to pools, Rooms from 8000 to 8400
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Polish first
SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

I'm notoriously lazy when it comes to writing a review.
But this time I feel that I owe it to the Tripadvisor community. First, let me digress for one minute. Recently I came across the ratings of the leading US hospitals (I'm talking about Harvard and John Hopkins University Hospitals, Mayo and Cleveland Clinics, etc.). 2-4% of all "customers" rate these hospitals as "poor", believe it or not. IMHO, there are always a few people who are not happy with anything the world has to offer. Fortunately, it's not my problem.
After my second trip to Barceló Maya Palace I decided to check the latest reviews, and was quite surprised to find that the resort rated just #57 in Riviera Maya.
I visited quite a few properties rated much higher on this website, and would not stay there for free:)
Regarding Barceló Maya Palace I have to say:
1. Never had any problems with the check-in. Always was greeted while getting out of the taxi, always had the exact room I booked, the whole process of checking-in took 5-10 minutes, and my luggage arrived to my room ahead of me.
2. Rooms are large, clean, and housekeeping service is excellent. Pillows could be better, though.
3. Food is good. Never observed any breaks in hygiene by the staff. Now let me tell you something. Folks, on the average, people pay $300-$400 per day of stay at Barceló Maya Palace for the family of 3 (covering room and unlimited meals/drinks).
On the other hand, $300 is a price of ONE dinner in a decent restaurant, provided that you drink only moderate amount of fairly "basic" alcoholic beverages. Calibrate your expectations:)
4. Beach is acceptable. Unfortunately, smoking is allowed on the beach, and some people tend to drop cigarette butts and empty glasses on the sand wherever it pleases them. The staff picks after them every 15 minutes or so, but these "patrons" can turn anything into a pigsty in 5 minutes. I do not understand why they cannot drug their sorry bodies even 10 feet to the closest ashtray, or put their glasses next to their beach chairs? Why do I have to endure even 5 minutes of their filth? Somebody was complaining that the food is not served right on the beach or in the pools. I say: thanks God! At least nobody has an opportunity to scatter salad on the sand, or drop a steak in water:)
5. The staff is always polite and ever so helpful. Rudimentary Spanish helps.
By the way, I always heard a lot of stories how foreign (particularly French) waiters and such are rude, slow, unhelpful, etc. Personally, I'm yet to encounter anything like that. Out of pure curiosity, I went to a few restaurants in Paris, where (according to Tripadvisor review) "innocent tourists were abused by malicious French waiters".
Strangely enough, I was everywhere met, greeted and served with the utmost courtesy and professionalism. I even experimented a couple of times: asked the owner to recommend the vine, then said I did not like his choice. On both occasions, the vine was exchanged FOR FREE.
Let me give you something for free too: being a rich tourist does not make the people who serve you your slave. Treat them as equals, treat them as you would treat your friends, as you would treat your colleagues or neighbors inviting you for dinner, and I guarantee that your trip will always be full of pleasant surprises.
6. The territory is well maintained, landscaping is simply amazing.

In summary, I truly enjoyed vacations in Barceló Maya Palace, and if all is well, going there next year too. I allow that there may be better resorts, but I don't think I need to waste my time looking for them, as long as I am happy with Barceló Maya Palace.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Beautiful property, it was paradise. Always clean and beautiful. Rooms are nice all with terrace or balcony facing something beautiful. We were with family who had a different room and the only complaint was a musty smell but the rooms where very clean. Must have something to do with the high humidity and the fact that the air and the electricity has motion sensors to go off and on when you're in the room and when you're not. Strange but it works, the room was always comfortable but don't expect to ever get your room really cold. The beach was beautiful, great swimming and snorkeling. The young sea turtles are swimming right with you and that was awesome to swim with an endangered species for no extra charge. The food was good either the buffet or the restaurants. Favorites were the Brazilian and the Japanese restaurants. Pools were amazing with swim up bar. The adult pool was our favorite, not having small children any longer and our bartender Mario Carrillo was attentive and made the best margaritas! Always felt safe and we didn't have any reason to go off resort other than to swim with the dolphins and do the Xcaret park. (One warning when we booked our dolphin and park excursions through our agent in the hotel he said that American Express would charge 5% and said would probably be less but to use the atm in the hotel but to receive US dollars the charge was more. I used the atm for $400 and got charged $55.00 for it where I would have paid $20 with AE.) The staff and service was exceptional. We always felt we were special even though we didn't speak spanish. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

There are a total of 5 different hotels on site. This is the nicest & most expensive. The rooms are big & clean with good sized bathrooms. Air conditioning works great. When staying at the Palace you can dine at any of the resorts at the 5 hotels with no additional charge. We had no trouble getting reservations for dinner & were able to book several nights at one time. The beach is AMAZING, & the water is blue, the best of all the places I have stayed. There are several pools for just the palace. The big pool has a swim up bar but you are still able to find quiet spots. The adult pool is amazing & quiet if you want to relax. We have stayed at other all inclusive resorts & this one is by far the best. I will definitely be back going back

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Vernon, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We were at the resort for a business conference and had a wonderful time! It was extremely nice to have the freedom to choose restaurant reservations or the buffets. Only complaint would be that you need to book the restaurants as soon as you arrive, they were very busy! The beach was beautiful the pools and open bars were a blast! We would love to go back!

Room Tip: it is a large resort so prepare to walk a lot. The rooms can be a long way apart and were far from t...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Oka, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

this Hotel is Amaxing ! Great place for all ages, Great food , a lot of variety in the Buffets... very nice staff, very Clean place. They make you feel special and very safe even during a hurricane warning !

Room Tip: every room is good not much difference from the superior rooms to standard rooms just more services
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

I went in July to Riveria Maya with my husband, son (20) and daughter(27) and her boyfriend (29) for a family vacation. We had recently stayed at a Barcelo in Puerto Vallarta over Spring Break and LOVED it and wanted to try another Barcelo! So we went to the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe. This place was not a disappointment! Wear comfy shoes as there is LOTS of walking to do! Which we looked forward to walking after eating and getting to and from places on the resort. Everyday we had our room made up early and placed our make room sign out on the door. They kept refrigerator stocked with pop, water, and snacks. They will fill it up each day as well. We tipped the maid service $10.00 on the last day we were there.
Food Options:
Because we stayed at the Maya Palace, we got access to the amenities at all five of the resorts on the Barcelo Maya complex: the Beach, Caribe, Tropical, Colonial, and Palace. We spent most of our time on the Palace side of the resort since this was closest to our rooms and offered the most recent and upgraded amenities of all of the resorts on property.
The specialty restaurants were ALL excellent, and the wait staff were fun and efficient. Make your reservations for the restaurants the moment you check into the hotel. The favorite restaurant we enjoyed was the Brazilian. Go hungry! There is sooo much food and all so good. You get 7 kinds of meat offered to you so make room for the kinds you like. Service was excellent at all of the restaurants. Workers oh so friendly as well! The buffets were good also. There is a wide variety of food to eat: steaks, traditional Mexican, Italian, ample salad bar, breads, and desserts. While the buffet did not change much from day to day, it was okay because there was a great variety. We always ate breakfast there. Some of the foods were a bit cold like french toast, pancakes,etc. Lots of Fruits and Vegetables were fresh and good.
The workers work very hard whether they are serving you or keeping the grounds up to date and sharp looking. Oh so beautiful. This is a well-managed property and one that will remain beautiful for many, many years.
EXCURSIONS: Mayan Extreme
Took 1 excursion called the Mayan Extreme. We booked this at the hotel and they picked us and and dropped us off. 5 hours in total. It was an exciting adventure. It is a perfect mixture of adventure & nature. First we stayed in the group with another family of 4 that we were picked up with. They were nice and younger than us. We snorkeled in water of an underground river with crystal clear waters and astounding rock formations. The water was freezing but felt good! This is what we started out with. We had wished or Cenote time would have been last as we were very hot and sweaty when we were done with the other activities. We Flew (60 feet) above the jungle canopy on the fastest zip line ride in the region! We went on 3 zip lines. We rappeled (70 ft) down into the Mayan jungle. Gloves kind of get hot as you rappel down and let go of the rope. It included a Mexican cuisine for our lunch. We tipped our tour guy (which we had the whole time- from pick up to seeing us leave) $20.00. We bought the CD of pictures they took of us on all of our adventures and I made a movie when I returned home. I made one for everyone. They were all so good. The trips cost the same amount no matter who you book with. This area is located behind the check in area..
POOLS & GYM
The pools were gorgeous and the gym was well equipped. If you didn't want to be bothered with children, there was an adults only pool and at that pool our bartender came around to check on the parties there to see if they needed drink refills. There was a kids pool that was separate that had all types of slides that looked like dragons and things and even a separate pool if you wanted to play volleyball or water basketball so that they wouldn't disturb the people who just wanted to relax in the pool. The big pool was huge!
We spent our pool time at the adult pool. Lots of chairs, more quiet and had its own bar. They even have Cabanas with beds under them to lay on. BRING BUG SPRAY! Lots of mosquitoes around mostly during the day!
BEACH- lots of chairs, lots of beach. Wear water shoes as the bottom of the ocean floor is sharp and uneven until you get out there a ways. Be careful. We saw lots of people fall.
This place is wonderful!! No negative reviews here by anyone in my family. Enjoy and have FUN! We await our next Barcelo Hotel Vacation!

Room Tip: If you are not premium club you will get rooms facing gardens, which was ok because we were really n...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!