“All-Inclusive Luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe

You added Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez km 266.3 | Carretera a Chetumal, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% discount
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Cambridge, Ohio
“All-Inclusive Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

This was our first visit to an all-inclusive resort, and we loved it. We had concierge-level service, so we had no delay in checking in. The resort was beautiful, and we were there in late October 2008, so it was not crowded at all.

We took advantage of several excursions that were arranged with another company rep at the resort. We were within short drives of Chichen Itza, Tulum, snorkeling and kayaking trips. Those were wonderful, as well.

But back to the resort...the pools were spectacular and the massage and spa were wonderful. Hammocks were in abundance in all directions and were so, so comfortable! The food was very good, but as vegans, it was a bit challenging to communicate with the kitchen staff. But that's as much our fault; after all, it's their country and we don't speak Spanish. They did the best they could to accommodate our no-meat, no-dairy requests.

We would love to return to this resort sometime.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (918)
  • Polish first
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

My family and I just returned from the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, and I have to say that I loved it. I traveled with my family which includes a 6 and 9 year old, my sister-in-law's family that includes teenagers, and a couple in their 20's. Everyone found something to do and had fun throughout the entire trip.

First off, I have to refute the claims by so many people here about long lines upon check-in. I had read bad reviews about the check in process, so I was quite ready to see if the claims were true. I am happy to report that they are not. There was no line when we checked in (August 9th at about 1:30PM). We were even greeted by waitresses who brought us cocktails. I would check whenever I would pass the front desk to see if there was a big line, and I never saw one. Luggage was promptly brought to our room.

Be prepared, this resort is very big, and you can not find air conditioning everywhere. The walk to our room was quite long, but it is under a covered path so you are out of the sun. Most common areas (like the lobby) are not air conditioned, but the bars, restaurants and clubs are. It is hot, but this is Mexico in August, so it is to be expected. The grounds are very very clean. We saw people constantly cleaning, gardening, etc. Staff is friendly. My family and I speak Spanish so I am sure that it made things easier for us. It is important to remember that the staff are not slaves. They are people whose first language is not English so patience and politeness go a long way.

Our room was very clean and quite large. Everyone was happy in it. I have read about people complaining about the beds here. I found the beds to be comfortable. No one in our party ever complained about the beds. The air conditioning works very well, but be aware that when you leave the room it turns off. You will return to a slightly damp/stuffy room, but it quickly cools off. The floor is tiled so it can get slippery after baths.

There is one huge pool that has many different features build into it, like a kids area, hot tub, bar, and lounge area. Everyone loved the swim up bar, by far out favorite place to get some shade and a cool drink.

The real star here is the beach. There are plenty of chairs and shade. The water is great, not too rough, and there are plenty of fish and turtles to see when snorkeling. One important thing to remember is to bring pool floats, balls, and snorkel gear with you. The exact same pool float that I bought for $1 in the USA was $15 (!!!) in the gift shop. Same goes for snorkel gear. Cheapest you can get is $33 dollars, so make sure to bring it with you.

Lastly, the food. There is always something around to eat. When the buffets are closed and snack buffet is open. We followed the advice of others here and made reservations for our stay when we checked in. We tried the French, Brazilian, Seafood, and Chinese restaurants. All were very good. I personally like the buffets best. You could always find something good to eat. The food is fresh, and very nicely presented.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We traveled to the resort in a group of 30 for a wedding. The resort is beautiful, well maintained, clean, friendly staff, great food, fabulous pools, modern bedrooms. What more could you ask for? The only tiny glitch was on check-in - the staff were very slow. We had a gorgeous wedding on the beach, with a reception on the rooftop and dinner in a private dining room. Overall, this resort and the wedding were well worth the money spent!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed at the Barcelo Palace from Aug 6-14 2011. We are a family of 5 (our 3 kids are ages 3,5 and7).
We transferred from the airport usingusa transfers. they are really dependableand reliable. They would constantly keep in touch with me via email and someone was waiting for us when we arrived. The only thing is they forgot the car seat for my 3 year old, but then did remember on our drive back to the airport.

Just so everyone knows, I am extremely picky...I find it really hard to find a hotel that I really love, and so I am very proud to say that my family and I had a terrific time. We loved this resort, especially our children. They were crying when it was time to come home

We have stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach when it opened and loved it. We also stayed at the Colonial in 2007 and we were disappointed. We decided to stay at the palace after reading the reviews and viewing the on line pictures of the beach and the waterpark. We are so happy we stayed.

The grounds are gorgeous. We had a room close to the pool and to the lobby/buffet. I would highly a convenient location like this if you have kids. they did offer us a poolside room with a view the next day, but we were happy and comfortable and so we decided not to move to another room.

The buffet is okay..not bad. But i have learned never to eat too much at all inclusive hotels. there is alot of variety, The kids buffet is just okay..my kids loved eating the salmon/fish and rich, and fresh vegetables.There are lots of choices for kids, and the most popular station was always the pasta station. We were allowed as many restaurant reservations that we wanted. We only wanted the Japanese/French and Seafood and got all 3. I highly recommed the Japanese and French.

The rooms are spacious and clean. The housekeeping wasnt always perfect, so this is one place where I would not give it a 5 star rating. We had a crib, and my 5 and 7 year old slept on the day beds..they had no complaints and actually loved it. The only negative thing is that the regular beds were too hard..not comfortable at all.

The beach is amazing..as everyone mentioned, we snorkelled right off the beach. The maya beach resort has a beautiful spotless beach and is only a 15 min walk.
The pools are warm and invting. The kids waterpark is amazing, however, you do need to be up at the crack of dawn to get seats by the children's pool or anywhere near the shade.

We both went to the spa and loved our massages.
Shows were okay...they were better at the Maya Beach Resort from what i remember from years ago, but the theatre at the Palace is much better (air conditioned)

We did get the premium club...however, we did not upgrade to the premium room. Yes..you can upgrade to premium by paying only $20.00 per person per day (adults only), rahter then paying $185/.day for the premium room. We didnt need the ocean view, but wanted all the extras that the premium club offered.This was the best thing we did...free room service ( we ordered breakfast in our room alot)..unlimited internet, including wireless connection, and premium drinks. You also get discounts at the spa/.stores/ and unlimited pool towels...no pool cards needed. For the premium drinks, you must always tell the bartender what you want to drink (i.e. the premium alcohol in your drink) and make sure you watch them make it.I had no problem with this. The only thing is I wish there was some bar service at the beach, and I wish there was more atmosphere at the pool and beach area. There would be a bingo or water sports, and then when it stopped, the music also stopped and the pool area was very quiet.
I also would prefer to see some food available at the pool or beach area...most resorts have a beach bbq.

Other then this...we loved everything and had a fantastic time. We would recommend this hotel and would return to this resort.
Premium club staff are really nice, especially Karen.
Go ahead and book..you will love it:)

Allen, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We loved our 5 night stay at Barcelo Maya Palace and are planning to return with more family next summer for an even longer stay.

First, if you want 5 star service and to be waited on hand and foot, then this may not be the place for you. Yes, service was a little inconsistent at times depending on the time of day. Just meant we had to wait a little longer for coffee or drinks at times. And yes, we had to get up from the beach and walk the short distance to the pool bar for a drink...but not a big deal to us. The majority of the staff were pleasant and helpful!

The rooms were beautiful! Very spacious and clean. Our teenager slept on the daybed without any complaints of being uncofortable. We had no safety or housecleaning issues to speak of.

The buffets were good with plenty of selection. I would like to see more "theme" nights to change up the buffets some. The a-la-carte restaurants were a nice change to the buffets. We visited three and liked the French and Caribe the best. We would like to try some of the other restaurants at the other Barcelo resorts when we return.

The grounds and pool are beautiful and well maintained. We rented motorbikes for a day and toured the entire complex. There is also an internal bus which will take you to the other resorts. Shopping was fun at the plaza by the Colonial.

Now the best for last...the beach! We spent most of our time on the beach or in the beautiful water snorkeling. We saw all sorts of beautiful fish and coral. And yes, turtles! It was nice not to have to take an excursion to snorkel. The beach is one of the most beautiful I have seen. Not much wave action if that's what you are looking for. The water was nice and cool...even in August.

There is so much more to tell about this beautiful resort, but I would not let the reviews about service discourage me from returning here. A smile and good attitude go a long way! And it does not hurt to tip for good service, but I honestly don't think it made for better service either.

Room Tip: We did have premium service so had an ocean front room. It was a great room, but not sure we will g...
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I am torn as I write this review. On the one hand you have this beautiful resort that has so much potential and on the other I couldn't believe the horrific service we got. The best way I can express my feelings toward this resort is to give you a brief story of my experience.
After reading so many positive reviews here I really looked forward to my vacation. It all began when I booked my reservations. I had booked 3 months prior at the Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe hotel. For those of you who are not familiar with the resort, it's the newest facility they have.
I am the type of person that doesn't like surprises so when I go on vacation about a month before my arrival and every other week I would call to make sure nothing has changed with my reservations, meaning the room I reserved is the same, what I asked for in the room is still noted and can be delivered and so forth. Every time I called they reassured me all was good.
On the day of our arrival, we were greeted with the news that the hotel is over booked and that they needed to relocate us to another hotel within the resort. So after some disappointment I was offered some incentives to make up for the last minute change. They claimed they changed us to the same accommodations with dual Queen size beds and a crib as requested. Also, If you read some of the other comments, most recommend you book the restaurants at the same time as you check-in, so I did as recommended.
When we got to our room there was only one queen size bed. So I called our check-in desk to let them know the room did not have the beds as mentioned but we were re-assured that we would be taken care in no time.
That same evening, we had dinner reservations that we booked upon arrival. When we showed up at the restaurant they never received the reservations from the concierge desk. So I went back to our concierge desk and they kept me there for another 30 minutes while they advised the restaurant of our confirmations. This was a running joke all week long.
After dinner we went back to our room and the beds were still not delivered. So I called again the concierge desk and they again promised me the beds would be delivered, at this point it was about 8:30pm. At 9 pm I called housekeeping to get a status and they told me they had no request to deliver additional beds to our room. I was furious; I called the front desk again and asked if anymore there was competent enough to follow through on what they promise. They again reassured me the beds would be delivered. So to put this in perspective, we are a family of 5; I have 2 young children and a baby. At this point they had traveled all day and began to sleep in our one and only bed. I was just getting more and more frustrated at how everyone just says what you want to hear but does absolutely nothing. Finally at 10pm I called the front desk demanding to speak with the hotel manager and after a few words between us he finally sent a maid to deliver the beds at 11pm.
The next day, I went back to the Palace front desk to vent my frustration about the night before and to re-confirm we had reservations at the restaurant we booked for that night. The girl excuses herself and leaves me to go and speak with her manager and she leaves me there waiting for 45 minutes, she then returns with her manager and they both reconfirm my reservations and reassure me that I would not be disappointed.
Well that evening just before we left, I decided to call the restaurant to confirm our reservations and to my surprise they were not expecting us. So I called the desk again, the girl there says to me come by and we will give you a letter to confirm your reservations, so I passed by again and 30 minutes later she gives me a letter. This happened every night for a week.
Just a warning before you decide to book your reservations at Barceló. When I was waiting for the girl to confirm my reservations, I got to speak with another girl at the concierge desk and she confided in me that the hotel has been fully booked since December 2010 and that the reservations dept. always over books the rooms and that they are constantly scrambling to find other accommodations for their guests when they arrive, she also said they are 40% less in staff than a year ago and I can tell you it shows.
The reason Barceló gets away with this, they do not charge you for the room upfront. So even though you booked your room well in advance and you think you are getting what you reserved… think again, since they do not charge for the room when you book, they can shuffle you around as they wish. To add insult to this whole trip, Barceló will ask you to sign a letter that in order to get the incentives they offer you must not complain to anyone at the resort during your stay. BTW their incentive was a 30 minute massage for my wife and I.

Room Tip: Ask when you book your room if there's anyway to guarantee the room you reserve.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Redlands, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

My family stayed 7 days at the Barcelo Maya Palace at the end of July. This was our first visit to Cancun, and our first all inclusive. Before booking our vacation, I read many reviews on tripadvisor.com in order to figure out what we wanted most in a Cancun vacation. We decided that we wanted to stay at a large complex with its own snorkeling beach, and one which was close to the Mayan ruins and the ecoparks. The Barcelo turned out to be perfect for us. Here are some observations about our trip:

Airline
We flew nonstop from LAX to Cancun on Virgin America. Although a bit pricier than other airlines, VA allows one free piece of baggage per passenger when flying to Cancun. My kids loved the new, modern plane with in-seat TVs. Give yourself enough time at LAX, though. We naively thought 90 minutes was enough time for passport/baggage check in and security, but we barely made it to the plane before departure.

Airport Transportation
I booked a private shuttle through USA Transfers, which I highly recommend. The driver was courteous and safe, and we appreciate going straight to the Barcelo without any other stops. It takes an hour from the airport to the Barcelo, but the Playa del Carmen overpass is now finished so the trip is much smoother than before.

Weather
It was very hot and humid the last week of July, but it wasn't unbearable. We had 4 days of sunshine, 3 days of overcast, and 2 nights of thunderstorms. The water at the pool and beach was very warm at the beginning of the week but cooled slightly as the week progressed. There were many mosquitoes at sunset, so bring bug spray and "After Bite" if you are prone to getting bit.

Check In
Because we didn't upgrade to Club Premium, we had to check in at the general front desk which was slow, as expected. The clerk, however, was friendly and apologetic about the wait. As advised by other reviewers, I immediately booked our restaurant reservations with the concierge. Since I was flexible about dates/times, I was able to get reservations to all four restaurants allotted to the general Barcelo Palace guests.

Hotel Room
Again, since we didn't upgrade our hotel room was in the back of the resort, but we never minded the long walk to the beach or the buffets. I thought the room was beautiful, although as other people have mentioned, the beds/pillows are harder than we are used to and the humidity makes the bed sheets always feel slightly damp. I brought Lysol to spray the beds/room when my kids complained about the musty smell. I loved the rain shower in the bathroom and the large shampoo/conditioner/shower gel dispenser on the shower wall. I also appreciated the small selection of snacks which came with the beverage service and the drying rack outside on the balcony. Even though we were far back in the resort, people tended to walk by talking very loudly around 2 am. It was annoying but didn't last long so we immediately went back to sleep.

Food and Entertainment
We went to the AI with no expectations, so we were pleasantly surprised by the buffets, the restaurants, and the nightly shows. The buffets tend to get hectic and depleted near closing time, so it's best to go early if you can. I thought it was fun to dress up to go to the restaurants, and the dining experience was more relaxing than at the buffets. The entertainment was lively, and after each performance the emcee invited the audience members to come up to take pictures with the dancers. We have some cute pictures of our kids from these photo ops.

We only ate once at another buffet, and although the breakfast food was basically the same I noticed that the presentation of the food at the Palace buffet was much more spectacular. However, the wrap-around plate-glass windows over looking the fountains and the freshly made churros made the walk over to the Tropical buffet definitely worthwhile.

Beaches
We were amazed by the white sand, turquoise ocean, and very salty water. As other reviewers have noted, the beach is very extensive and perfect for long strolls. The section in front of the Palace is a bit rocky, so you need to be careful where you step when entering the water. Because of the reef, there is good snorkeling in front of the Palace or over off the pier. My daughter spent hours swimming after the sea turtles or kayaking by the pier.

Excursions
Because there was so much to do at the resort itself (my son played hours of ping-pong!), we ended up only taking two off-site excursions. For the first excursion, we booked an all-day taxi to take us out to Coba, where we climbed the Mayan pyramid, and then back to Tulum, where we swam in the ocean below the ruins on the cliff. In addition to the taxi fare, we had to pay parking at Coba, along with entrance fees and video camera fees at both archeological sites. It was very hot that day, especially by the time we got to Tulum. It was a long walk from the parking lot to the ruins themselves, so an umbrella would have provided welcom shade.

For the second excursion we took a taxi to Xcaret and paid for general admission, although the upgrade--which includes a towel, locker, snorkel gear, and buffet--seems like it would have been a good way to go. The days was overcast, so the park didn't seem all that crowded (especially by Disneyland standards). This ecopark is not as exciting as Xplore, but Xcaret is definitely worth a visit at least once if you have the chance.

Occupancy
I didn't realize this, but July is considered high season. Everywhere at the resort felt full--the beaches, pools, and buffets--however, it never really bothered us. The employees were obviously working very hard to keep the resort clean and well-maintained, but many people were friendly and said "Hola!" as we walked by. If you are the kind of tourist who doesn't like crowds or waiting during your vacation, there are a few things you could do to help alleviate the situation:
1.Ask for or upgrade to a room near the beach/pool area. It will be crowded, but at least you won't have to walk as far.
2.Go out early to reserve your lounge chair, especially if you want one by the pool. Officially, this practice is discouraged and we never had problems finding a place at the beach, but I noticed that the pool loungers tended to fill up before 8 am.
3.Bring your own snorkel gear, ping-pong paddles, pool rafts, and toys from home so you won't have to waste time checking out (or buying) equipment from the resort.
4.Go to the buffets when they first open for best seating, best selection, and no lines at the food stations.
5.Go early in your vacation to book a hobie cat or off-site excursion.
6.Have the bell captain arrange for a private, all-day taxi to take you to Coba and Tulum.
7.Always tip a little, it seems to go a long ways.

Final Thoughts
While my family had a great vacation at the Barcelo Maya Palace, I'm not sure if I would recommend this resort to individual couples or to those looking for nightlife. The week we were there, the resort was full of families (like us!), and there wasn't much to do after the evening entertainment finished around 10:30 pm. There is a lobby bar with music and an on-site disco, but since my teenagers are not yet 18 they could not go to the disco during the regular late-night hours. If you are looking for excitement or romance, you may want to consider a resort actually in Cancun or Playa del Carmen with an adult party atmosphere. However, if you are a family with kids/teenagers who like beach and pool activities, this is a wonderful resort.

Room Tip: Bring a small bottle of Woolite so you can rinse out your bathing suits and hang them to dry on the...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#10 of 16 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 stars 1,260 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!