“We loved it, great family vacation.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Tropical

You added Barcelo Maya Tropical to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Tropical
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Federal Chetumal - Puerto Juarez, Km 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% discount
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Long Island, New York
“We loved it, great family vacation.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

Traveled with another family totaling 8 with 4 kids ages 6-9. Confused upon arrival because reserved "Colonial" but rooms were at "Tropical". They were willing to move us but the new rooms were closer to lobby so we stayed at Tropical. Its pretty confusing until you are there but the two hotels really share everything. Our rooms were building "H-Yucatan" and were right near the pool. The Tropical hotel is on left side while Colonial hotel is on right side. Down the middle are the restaurants for both with the theatre at end. Then the pools run parallel to beach at end of rooms. All was very close unless you are at outer buildings at either hotel (I suggest Colonial bldg "G-Guanajuato" or "H" in Tropical and request close to pool). We were very close to the childrens club and water park. Our room opened up onto a beautiful garden on 1st flr, kids loved playing in their private backyard. I was impressed at how well layed out everything was. There were several pools and several eating & drinking locations. We never did alot of walking to get anywhere except to the Maya Beach hotel to play archery at southernmost end. Still my 6yr old had no problem walking there. The train ran frequently btwn the hotels.
Activities: The children went from the water park to the bigger pool (4ft deep). We relaxed in the shade between the pools. Right next to us was the Barcy club. There were pool tables, and fooseball. Near the activity center (on Tropical side, next to pool) was store and games: Giant Chess, bowling, skeet, darts, etc.
Bring pool floats and water toys. People did save chairs but we found that no matter what time of day, we could always find 4 chairs to pull over into a group. The staff was constantly walking around picking up empty cups and cleaning. Wish they would serve drinks but there were two swim up bars and two walk up bars and never waited long for drinks. I even sat at the swim up bars with the kids for milk. Towel card system was easy and worked well. We left our pool toys and bags on chairs and didn't lose anything. (Locked valuables in room safe.) The pool on Tropical side further North had alot of "Springbreakers". They were ages 18-25 mostly but older and younger joined in. Lots of drinking and dancing. It wasn't disruptive but first time I was at a family hotel with so many of that age group. I would definately recommend the Colonial/Tropical as its in the center of everything. The water park had several water slides, bring band-aids for slight scrapes. The boys loved it and it was never crowded even though the hotel was booked.
We loved our room, very spacious, clean, marble bath. Fridge was always well stacked with juice, soda and beer. Food: The Tropical buffet is slightly smaller than Colonial but they are next to each other & can walk btwn the two when getting food. Easy to try both. We were given 5 restaurant vouchers for 7night stay. Right after getting room key, we sat for dinner reservations. It was very easy and we made 6:30 and 7pm reservations for entire week. We couldn't get anything for 1st two nights but had no problem after that. Book as soon as you can! Loved the Italian, Steakhouse, Mexican & Japanese. All were willing to make kid friendly options different than children menu choices. We skipped seafood as we didn't think the kids would like anything. Our two favorite were Italian & Japanese but there were all wonderful. Kids loved the Japanese chef. Try the buffet grills by beach for lunch. Some theatre shows were good and others were boring, we liked Circus, Cabaret & Mexican show the best. Beach surf was very rough so we couldn't get deep enough to pass the rocky part, some rocks were big and hurt against legs. We loved swimming off the pier with the fish and feeding them.
I brought bug spray but never needed it. We found the prices for souvenirs in the gift shop were very reasonable and sometimes better than the locals.
We also took some excursions, loved the 3hr ATV ride to cave & river swim, boys rode free with us- the guide was excellent & ATVs were new. The dolphin swim was 5 minutes away and they do an excellent job! We booked private tour to Tulum but driver didn't know where he was going. The 30 minute drive took over 90 minutes to get there. Its easy to purchase 40 minute guide there. I suggest taxi so you can leave whenever you want. We thought the private tour would give us that option but unfortunately we didn't get the guide/driver that was promised. The 8 & 9 yr olds loved it but the 6 yr olds said it was too much walking. Our Olympus-Gogo rep was at hotel and booked every tour, it was disappointing that they stopped talking to us when the Tulum tour went so poorly. They claimed to be our rep but didn't represent us well when there was a problem. After I completed incident report, called and stopped by desk several times, I rcvd a small refund. The rep didn't show up to say good-bye. Be careful if you book private tours.
We had researched this hotel and location and found it to be perfect for a family vacation where we could relax, enjoy activities and learn about the culture. The staff was always very friendly and hard working, we always tipped to show our appreciation but it wasn't required. We were nervouse about the size but as it was layed out so well, it was very comfortable and easy to get to everything. Its about 75 minute drive from airport and longer if you have to stop at other hotel to drop off guests.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Polish first
Marquette, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

First of all let me say that if you are looking for a pretty inexpensive place to vacation and don't mind food/alchol quality and service then this might be the place for you. For us however, we like to sit down and enjoy and great meal and a nice bottle of wine and this was not the place to find that.

We stayed in the Tropical side. This place is HUGE! If you have the extra $$ stay at the Palace part. We discovered this part of the resort the last day and wish we would've stayed there. Much nicer/newer. Better drinks.

The building and rooms are magnificent. Everything is beautiful. There are fountains everywhere and everything is open air. The rooms are always clean as well as the pool areas, gym and pretty much everything else. The grounds are perfect. I always saw someone cleaning, gardening, picking up...always making everything "look" awesome. The staff however very rude and not helpful were always dressed appropriately and looked well kept.

The food: HORRIBLE. It is mostly buffets and what is there is basically cheap re-used food from the day/night before. The only thing I did enjoy was the salsa bar and made-to-order quesadillas. Everything else was like visiting a bonanza or my college cafeteria. Even when you eat at the sit down restaurants, the food is not that great. The MEXICAN restaurant wasn't even good! The one restaurant we did thoroughly enjoy was the Japanese steak house (DON'T MISS THIS ONE). The food and atmosphere was great. The pool side grills are all buffets. I wish they would've have an actual grill where you could order burgers and chicken and what not.

The bars: Swim up bars are always a favorite of my boyfriend and I so you can't really go wrong here. The only complaint would be that they were all shaded and got very cold sitting at the bar. The lines are outrageous. Grab more then one drink at a time or bring your own giant mug. The alcohol was very cheap varieties and you had to pay extra for top shelf. I even had to pay up when I ordered Malibu Rum which is not in my mind top shelf. Also, the staff was not friendly and when we asked what "yummy" drinks to try they pretty much ignored us. ***We took a trip last year to Sandals in Jamaica and the staff there was wonderful and were always making us new and fun drinks to try, so we were disappointed at Barcelo***

The rooms as I said before are perfect. The mini bar is restocked everyday and we never had to ask the maid to come, she was always there sometime in the afternoon and again in the evening. The views are great from the balcony. The rooms service was great and FAST. We ordered a bottle of Champagne and some snacks one night at it came to $10 USD! (the room service food sadly, was much better then the restaurants)

The front desk staff was awful. I understand we were in another country but the language barrier was horrible. They did not understand anything we asked. I didn't realize how hard it was going to be for us to communicate what we needed to them. ***Again, in Jamaica everyone understood English very well, so we were let down yet again.***

The pools were amazing. Huge and beautiful. Cold? Yes, but who cares...you are in Mexico. I am from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and swim in Lake Superior so cold water is not an issue for me. The pools were always clean and never crowed at all. Everyday I would see a scuba diver/worker under the water scrubbing the sides of the pool. VERY CLEAN PLACE!

There were a lot of kids there, which we knew there would be but my complaint for that is that I think there should have been some rules about children in the larger pools. There are plenty of kiddie pool and mini water park areas for them. I was splashed several times by some rowdy kids in the main pool. It's not a huge deal, but I wanted to relax and not baby sit someone else's children.

Free snorkeling was awesome. My boyfriend saw sting rays, a barracuda and sea turtles...right off the shore! The kayaking was also amazing. We saw so many fish and turtles. Don't forget to do this.

The gym/spa area is very nice. I worked out almost every day on great equipment and at night we sat in the Sauna.

This place is huge, be prepared to walk a lot. All and all it was a good vacation, very relaxing. We will not be back mostly because of the terrible food. To me that is part of a good vacation. Also, the staff plays a huge part in our not returning. I think they may need better customer service managers or something. They are completing unwilling to help you out at all.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

In general we had an amazing time on our trip. I would say that was mainly due to the beautiful setting, pools for the kids beautiful beach and decent food. However, the general feel is like it is a factory for a vacation. Everything is there but there is a reason that the price is relatively low, like a factory. They try to serve as many people as possible and make a profit. They are able to do that by cutting back on staff and quality food and drinks. Lots of the things are adeqaute but not giving you a personal level of service.
In addition, the spring breakers that were staying in our building were just awful. We had arrived on the early part of the spring break and the hotel was not that busy and was quiet nice. However, the kids that were staying at our building were extremely loud and obnoxious. They thought nothing of banging on doors after midnight and screaming and running around drunk, pulling leaves of palm trees. It is hard to imagine why the hotel would let these teenagers in or not adequqtely respond to the complaints. In fact we heard these kids yelling at the top of their lungs about the fact that people had complained about their behavior. They were so loud that I could actually hear them screaming while I was in the shower. It is hard to believe that parents would give these rude and disrespectful teenagers money for this resort. This is a nice resort very far from Cancun or Daytona where this type of behavior would fit in with the environment.
I would say that this was the weakest part of the resort. Often when you asked for something you got different answers and alot of stalling. For instance, we wanted to make reservations for the a la carte dinnners. One woman said we were there at the wrong time, another said her computer was down, another said there was nothing left. The last woman we asked did it right away like it was nothing. I almost thought it was like she was new and had not learned the run a round.
The service at the bars by the pool was so slow that I just got ended up getting bottled water which they ussaully kept out on the counters. In the buffets it was easier to get your own water, coffee, soft drinks and wine by yourself. They did have self service wine beer and soft drinks, so it was easy to get for yourself. They seemed to have alot of people cleaning and the place was extremely clean but they also need some service. During the day there was alot of people waiting by all the bars for drinks. In addition it was surpricing as this was the first resort in the carribean where the drinks were not good at all. The only place where you could get a good drink was the cigar bar where the bartenders were very good and made a great mojito it was also a very nice place to sit and have a drink. They also had good drinks outside the a la carte restaurants.
Rooms
My biggest complaint about the room was that we had asked for connecting rooms because we were a family of five and could not fit into one room. Although they never promised us them we had booked five months early, so you think that someone could have bothered to look into it. That meant that the adults had to split up so the kids were not sleeping alone. We had also asked for 2 double beds but only had one king in both rooms so one of our kids had to sleep on the sofa bed, but that was not a huge issue.
The room was fine. We were on the first floor and had there not been spring breakers the level of noise was fine. Their were soft drinks water and beer in the fridge which was refilled every other day. When we asked to just get water they never listened but that was ok as there were other places to get water. Fridge did not keep stuff cold but there was an ice bucket and an ice maker down the hall so also not a huge issue. Room was clean and we had alot of towels, they came to bring towels twice a day. Also turn down service with horrible candies every day. Wierd thing that they had in the room was a scale which I never saw before but not a bad thing to have although I was on vacation and not watching too hard. Towels were large which you don;t always get so I appreciated that and there were plenty of them. Always enough hot water. Bed was somewhat lumpy not hard but that did not keep me up just those horrible teenagers.
Generally I am not overly fussy and if my kids find something they like and don`t complain I am fine. I would say this was definetely the case. Kids loved the food and they even had a kids buffet so they were happy. I was also happy that they were also eating things beside hamburgers and hot dogs, although they did like these and the hamburgers were good quality. Nice fresh ^pasta although you did have to wait in line for this but it was good. Pizza was good and very good quality fresh fruits and vegetables. As others have said breakfast is very good. Nothing they don`t have and it is nice to be in a beautiful setting eating good food.
Lunch at the grills did not have an amazing selection but I did enjoy the nachos and pico de gallo and being open air was nice. I would have liked a restaurant by the water or even an afternoon grill but they did not have that.
Evening buffets were just ok. Some nights the selection was better than others which was surprising as the first night the food choices were somewhat limited but the next night it was much better. One night at the buffet they had a chocolate fountain which was great but they never had one again while we were there.
We also did some of the a la cartes which were a nice change. We enjoyed the steak restaurant and even thought there was no steak on the menu for the kids all three of them were given a steak. We enjoyed the Italian and found the service good there as well as at the steak house. We did not have to wait long and the drinks were good while you waited. The mexican was ok it was like eating at the buffet except they served you the food. The service was slow as well. The spanish was enjoyable atomesphere and the food was pretty good but the kids did not like it theres so much.
Kids loved the waterslide pool and it was easy to get a seat there. Also enjoyed the hammocks which where very relaxing. Our kids did not use the kids club but they were content to play at the waterslide pool most of the day. The other pools were beautiful although none of the pools are heated.
In general we had a great time, but might not return as a result of the spring breakers The place is beautiful, the setting is gorgeous and the food is good enough. They just have to be more selective about who they let stay at the hotel and improve the service and this would be an amazing place

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

My husband and I and another couple just returned from a 1-week stay. We all had a great time. We arrived at 3 PM on Saturday 3/28, and check-in was easy and our rooms were ready for us. I found the staff in the lobby (front desk and guest services) to be somewhat less than friendly. The rooms were pretty standard. Although our 2nd floor room needed some minor cosmetic work, overall the room was clean and spacious enough with a nice balcony. I would not recommend staying in a 1st floor room as anyone (or anything) can walk right up to your patio. We stayed in the Veracruz building which was conveniently located near the pool and beach. We brought our own travel mugs which the bartenders were happy to fill. We regularly tipped the bartenders and they were happy to accommodate any of our requests. We did have to reserve our lounge chairs by the pool early as they tend to get taken quickly. The beach is HUGE and there was no problem finding available lounge chairs there.
ACTIVITIES: We play a lot of tennis and brought our own equipment with us, including balls. I'm not sure if the resort sells new tennis balls, so we were happy we brought our own instead of playing with the dead used balls they were giving to people who also rented racquets. We were initially told that we did not have to reserve courts, but on our 3rd day, we were kicked off the court by folks who had made a reservation.
If you want to parasail, sieze the 1st opportunity you get. We decided to put if off for a day or 2 and missed our opportunity because it was so windy the boats never went out again during our stay.
ENTERTAINMENT: The nightly shows were somewhat amatuerish but entertaining nonetheless. I wish there had been more options in the evening as far as entertainment goes. We never made it to the disco because it didn't open until 11 PM and after a day in the sun, we were too tired.
FOOD: Overall, we were very pleased with the food. The variety at the breakfast buffet was awesome although the table service for beverages was slow. Same with the dinner buffet...great variety, slow table service. The snack bar by the pool was great for an easy lunch. The steak house was disappointing...very slow service and my filet mignon was still wiggling although I had asked for it to be cooked "medium". The seafood restaurant was great, and as New Englanders we have high standards for seafood. The grilled lobster was delicious as was the grouper, and the service was outstanding. Another favorite was the Japanese restaurant....entertaining and the food was great. Our traveling buddies also tried the Mexican restaurant and loved it. Generally speaking, the cocktail waitresses in the various lobby bars were very slow and we usually ended up getting our own drinks at the bar.
On our last day, a large group of college kids descended on the resort and proceeded to be rude and obnoxious in the pool area, getting falling-down drunk. After 1 day watching them make fools of themselves, we were ready to leave. Although we all enjoyed our stay, the complex is very big and lacks sufficient signage. I would consider returning for another vacation, but I would also investigate a different "adults only" resort.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Alberta,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

We returned to the Tropical for our honeymoon March 27 to April 3 after our wedding at the same resort in January. We had such a great time the first time that we decided to return. We had a good trip but were a bit dissapointed with a few things.
First the good:
1. Beautiful resort that has well manicured and clean grounds.
2. Nice, long walking beach that is not shared with other resorts.
3. Friendly, smiling staff.
4. A variety of shopping and spa services available at the resort.

And why we probably wouldn't go back:
1. Not a very romantic place for couples, caters more to families and groups.
2. Hard to find a quiet place by the pool. All the loungers "reserved" by 10.
3. Too crowded.
4. For the price we paid, we could have stayed at a higher rated, smaller, all-adults resort.
5. We were never given any honeymoon upgrades even after getting married there.
6. The service at the buffets was not very good.

If you have the choice of when to go, I would avoid the peak times. This is a huge resort that can hold a lot of people. It can get really, really busy and more difficult for the staff to keep up.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

We made our choice of this property by recommendations by two of our friends and this site. We have two children ages 8 and 10. Our stay in this property was from March 22-29th, 2009. When we arrived at the hotel we were very impressed by the beautiful gardens and the lobby. We arrived around 5:30pm and took our luggage to our room and then went for dinner. We had the buffet and found a good selection of diiferent foods. I found the food to be very bland with not alot of flavour. After looking at the pool area and walking around we went back to the room to get the kids to bed. My husband leaned back on the bedspread into a wad of dried gum. I called down to the front desk and asked them if they could bring up a clean one. That was around 8:00pm. I got a bigger surprise when I turned down the beds and found blood splatter on the sheets of one bed and "body fluids" of some sort in the other bed. These beds had definitley not been cleaned. I called back to the front desk now requesting fresh sheets as well and was told the same thing that someone would be right up. After waiting till 9:30pm I finally phoned down and requested a manager to come to our room. Our kids had been up since 6:00am and were totally exhausted. A manager finally came to our room and was VERY mad at us about our complaint. She tried to argue with me that the fluid on the sheet was not blood. Being a nurse I know what blood looks like. We were on the main floor and had tons of little black flies in our room. We requested a different room for the following day and they upgraded us to a suite. We were hoping with the previous night complaint that the rest of the trip would be problem free. Even after tipping the maid very well on the first day we still had daily problems with our mini fridge not being stocked, lack of towels, and running out of toilet paper and soap. Most five star properties I've stayed at never have ongoing issues like this.

The beach is very nice if you can use it. We were only able to sit out there 1 out of 7 days due to high winds and water warnings( red flag). The winds were so bad one day that it removed the sand on the beach right down to the rock and landed in the pool. The lounge chairs were covered in sand and never washed down. It was very hard to find a chair that wasn't broken or covered in bird crap. The pool was nice but you needed to be down to the pool by 7:00am for a chair.

The food at the restaurants were much better than the buffet. I would highly recommend the Steak House. It was great! The service at the buffet was horrible! We sat with plates stacked at our table for our whole meal while we ate dessert. We often got up and served our own water and drinks as it seemed they were extremley short staffed and would offer at the end of our meal. The drinks were very weak as I had many tropical drinks and the only buzz I got was a sugar one.

We did a couple of excursions with our tour company (Conquest Holidays) and were well done especially with kids. As the previous writer wrote they want you at the airport 4 hours prior to the flight. This is such a waste of your last day. We did what was asked for our transfers only to be forgotten on our departure day. We waited at the lobby for over 1.5 hours and was told by our tour company that the shuttle was on his way. After confronting him for the last time he finally told us the truth that the driver went to the wrong lobby and he wasn't coming back for us. In a panic of missing our flight we were told that we would have to take a cab and it cost us $70US out of our pockets. I gave the tour operator an option to either pay for the cab ride or four return tickets back to Canada if we miss our flight. Weighing the ods he choose the cab fare.

I have never left comments about a trip before and I have travelled all over the world. I hope the hotel will read my comment card and respond to me or at least fix the problems. We met alot of people at our hotel that had the same complaints as us. Alot of people don't take the time to comment about their trip but just won't bother coming back. Word of mouth is your best advertising and it's not good if it's negative.

Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

My husband and I took our two teenagers (17 & 14) to the Barcelo Colonial and Tropical for Spring Break for 6 days in March, 2009. We have stayed at many nice all-inclusive resorts in the Riviera Maya area, as well as Puerto Vallarta (at least 5). The resort itself is pretty -- great grounds and for a 5* property, the rooms were very nice. The best part of them is the large, private balcony. The rooms had comfy beds and nice sized bathrooms. Our only complaint of the rooms were that they were very noisy, due to the loud hallways. You could hear doors slamming all night long.

Our biggest complaint about this resort is that the service was very inconsistent, the drinks were horrible (made with the cheapest alcohol and barely any) and the dinner buffet was miserable. You would take a couple sips of your drink and it would be gone, as they served all the drinks in small plastic tumblers out by the pool! In fact, many people brought down their own insulated drink cups, which were large. This is soooo tacky!! If you wanted better alcohol, and we are talking just Jose Cuervo here, or even a Bailey's, you would have to pay more money. The wine for the buffet also came out of a spiggot -- and if you wanted a better bottle (like Kendall Jackson??) you would have to fork over another $10-$15!

Many of the waiters/bartenders spoke poor English. We found out that the Barcelo chain is known for working their employees for 12 hours a day, but paying them for only 8 hours a day. So, they have high turnover and it is a training ground for many Mexican people.

There is no wait staff at the pool, and the pool and pool areas were very dirty. The nightly shows were very repetitive from what we have seen in the past.

We did enjoy the Seafood Restaurant, Italian Restaurant and Steak House. Also, we thought the gym was pretty nice for an all inclusive.

When we returned from our trip, we noticed that Apple has downgraded this resort from a 5 Gold to a 5 Red. We can see why now. We would rather spend more money and stay in a 6 star all inclusive, so that the drinks and food would be better.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!