“Nice time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Tropical

You added Barcelo Maya Tropical to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Tropical
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Federal Chetumal - Puerto Juarez, Km 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Oakville, Canada
“Nice time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We have not been to an all inclusive resort for some time. We prefer a few nights her and there and enjoying local restaurants and attractions so this was a big change for us. After a busy few weeks we just needed to be in one place to unwind and turn the mind off for a few days. The Barceló Tropical allowed us to do just that.

On booking through Air Canada Vacations we upgraded to Premium which provided a few perks as outlined on the website including a large room overlooking the pool area and the ocean. Very nice. The room was well maintained and the daily maid service prompt and thorough. Often our room was cleaned before returning from breakfast.

The grounds of the resort are vast as are the pools. Despite being pretty busy there was no fight or early rising to find lounge chairs. This is big deal for us. We hate having to be up early and deal with the daily "dance" to find good lounge chairs. There are lots of activities on land and sea with some organized events through the day.

The buffet breakfast and lunch in the main dining room and the beach grill location were just fine. Lots of choice and the food was fresh, hot/cold and well prepared. The service cleaning tables and bringing drinks was usually on point. We provided tips in US dollars for above average service which seemed appreciated. Most of the staff seemed quite engaged but as with any place there were a few going through the motions. The evening specialty restaurants were just fine. We had dinner in all the restaurant as with the premium upgrade there is no limit on the specialty restaurants. We made reservations as soon as we arrived which I would strongly recommend. Again, the service was generally good and we would order wine from the list at additional cost. Coupons are provided in the room package to discount the wine.

The grounds are quite beautiful and very well maintained. They are totally renovating/gutting one of the other properties and seem to be re-investing in the property which is what you would like to see. While we were there they were replacing ceiling fans in all the rooms in our area.

Mini bar in the room was restocked daily and if you needed more beer they were happy to provide.

The beach is beautiful although as others have noted not all sand in all locations. Still it is a very nice piece of real estate stretching for some distance from one end to the other.

During our stay in mid-August the resort had a very European flavour with Italians, French and Germans. I would say English was in the minority which we all enjoyed.

Overall a very nice week in Mexico. We would certainly recommend this resort to others.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Dear KRD13,
We appreciate your kind comments and the time you took to share them on Trip Advisor, it is very important for us to thank our guests’ confidence. Our main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want them to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.
We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments,

Best Regards,

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Polish first
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We had a very pleasant stay here. The beach was absolutely beautiful! It was everything you could ask for on a Caribbean beach. The buffet was really excellent, I wasn't a huge fan of the sit down restaurants. The tours desk was fairly priced and we booked several nice tours through them. Our room was strangely upgraded to a family size room (there were only 2 of us). So we had a lot of extra room, which was nice. The bed wasn't super comfortable and we didn't have a view of anything but trees. It didn't really matter though, the beach was a very short walk away and the view there more than made up for it. There is also a lot of great wildlife just wandering around the grounds.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear Jenn S,

We really appreciate the opportunity to host you at Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you for the time taken to write your kind comments regarding your past stay. We will work to improve every day. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Warmest Regards to Buffalo, estado de Nueva York.

lizanell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Our group was large, 4 ha seniors, their parents, one college age sister and two young teen sisters. Security was well executed, especially inside the complex. They watch those seeking excitement and keep them in check. Different properties caster to different groups and we enjoyed moving between the 5 properties and taking advantage of all the amenities. Loved just sitting on the beach and playing sand volleyball. Well drinks were good and fairly mild. Shade and sun plentiful. We love the peanuts and olives and popcorn in the bars. Enjoyed a margarita in the adult only bar before dinner, sitting in the private veranda rocking in the big wooden rockers listening to the fountain. Evening entertainment was fun. My husband and his friend fished a couple of times in the rocky bay down fri the beach. Caught several fish and had a ton of fun. Food was good. No complaints. I don't remember anything I thought was spectacular but I was so fascinated by the variety and how well it was executed that I never felt like I was missing anything. This was my first time at an all inclusive so I enjoyed the luxury of the bounty available and not having to sign a check every time. Very relaxing. VERY RELAXING! We booked through AAA travel so they planed for our transfers and all. Some of our group shopped in playa and went to snorkel in akumal. I would have been happy never leAving the five days we were there. But I did take my daughter one day to the zip line amusement park and we had a ton of. Zip lines. Off road jeeps you can drive. Water slides. Very fun and a bit less orderly than American parks which I thought improved the in-the-jungle experience. Definitely professionally run and safe. My husband loved it and he went in as a skeptic. I bet we will go back again sometime.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear lizanell,

We would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Tropical to expend this family vacation.

Feedback from our guests, both past and present, helps us improve our services and achieve our main goal, which is complete customer satisfaction.

We thank you very much your comments and we will work to improve every day. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Pinner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We stayed here in July and it was our second time in Mexico. Reading some of the other reviews I really believe they were staying in a different hotel ! The hotel complex is large however it stretches along the coast on one of the best beaches I have ever visited. Pure white sand, crystal clear water and masses of wildlife swimming in the sea. We saw numerous fish, stingrays, eels and turtles. Buy fish food from the shop and snorkel whilst feeding. The rooms are very spacious and clean. The grounds of the hotel are immaculate and beautiful to walk through. We found the food excellent with plenty of choice we especially liked the buffet at the beach resort. We were able to book a restaurant for every night and would recommend the Japanese and steak as the food was outstanding. Walk out along the pier in the evening and take a torch to see even more wildlife. Overall a fantastic hotel with no faults. Staff very friendly especially Ricardo who helped book our excursions.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Bolton_bu...

We would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Tropical to expend this holiday, we really appreciate your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay, your finest words regarding the services and restaurants.

Thank you very much again and please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back.

Warmest Regards,

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I and my boyfriend went to the Barceló Maya Tropical, for two weeks, as a present for my 18th birthday, given to me by my mother (yes I am extremely lucky). I have to say, I had the best experience of my life there.

TRANSPORT -
We flew with Thomson, premium, and the transport was also arranged by them. When we arrived at Cancun International Airport, we were able to just walk straight through, no problems, right to the coach. A guide met us and made sure we got on the right coach. The coach was cool and comfortable and the 90 minute, or so, journey to the hotel was done in comfort.

CHECK IN -
We arrived at the Barceló Maya Tropical and were immediately taken care of. Our cases were taken off the bus and the bell boys made sure we didn’t have to carry a thing. I felt like a queen. Check in was fast and simple and the staff were very polite, friendly and spoke perfect English. All the information about where our room was, where to find bars, restaurants etc, was explained to us very clearly and so we never got lost.

ROOM -
Our room was on the 3rd floor in the Veracruz building. As we entered our room it was spotless. I and my other half just stood there for a few seconds in awe of just the room. The bed was perfectly made, robes were hanging in the wardrobes, and it was just perfect. Since it was my 18th birthday, a full bottle of champagne and fruit was set out beautifully on a table. The bathroom was also spotlessly clean. Face towels, hand towels, bath towels, tissues etc were all supplied. The room has appliances that work very well. The first is the mini fridge, located in the cupboard, was fully stocked and all the drinks were cold. Then there was the coffee machine, also located in the same cupboard, which worked perfectly well and was supplied with coffee (decaff and non decaff), sugar, milk and two mugs. The sliding draw also made it easy access. The hairdryer in the bathroom works very well. The television was HUGE and there was always something to watch late in the night if we happened to wake up. The bed was very comfortable. I’m the type who is a bit fuzzy about the bed and cushions but I had no problems with back pain or anything like that. But even if you don’t like the hardness of the pillows, front desk staff will be able to provide you with softer ones if you wish.

FOOD –
I am a Pescatarian (no meat from animals with the exception of fish) and so I thought I could have been up for a challenge. But there is so much at the buffet, that anyone who says there’s no food for vegetarians then they are telling a lie. There’s food there for every type of person. You will have a hard job of finding anything you DON’T like. Soup, salad, casserole, lasagne, the list could go on for ever but honestly, there’s something there for everyone so don’t be afraid. My only thing is that food isn’t labelled correctly sometimes. One day I got lentil soup thinking it was just lentils until I had 5 spoonful’s and looked down to see a piece of bacon hanging from my spoon. Lovely. So it might be an idea to put a little Vegetarian sign on the labels. Just so people like me aren’t feeling guilty.

We also went to 4 restaurants. The Capri (Italian, located in the tropical), the Santa Fe (steak house and grill, located in the tropical), The Mare Nostrum (Seafood, located in the colonial) and the Kyoto (Japanese, located in the colonial).
First up is the Capri. We went here twice. This was a beautiful restaurant. The set up was so romantic and the waiters made you feel special and welcome. They were happy to explain the menu or offer advice but you just need to ask. The food was delicious. Everything was cooked to perfection and even the salad bar was amazing. The service and food was outstanding.
Second, was the Santa Fe. This wasn’t my favourite one out of them all. Because it was mainly a steak house and grill, there was only 2 options for seafood (so heads up for vegetarians not to go). The food was ok and the service was ok. But that was me. My boyfriend however said his steak was amazing and thoroughly enjoyed dessert.
Third, was the Mare Nostrum. Three times we visited so you can imagine my views on this one. This was the best restaurant I have ever been to. The service was fantastic, food even more fantastic! I highly recommend this restaurant and the team there should be very proud as this restaurant is impeccable.
Last was the Kyoto. This was second to the Mare Nostrum. The atmosphere there was amazing. There is a wide selection to choose from the menu. The chefs where so talented and it was a joy to see your food being cooked right in front of you. The food was fantastic and the service was also fantastic. The chefs create so much fun. Catching broccoli in your mouth is so fun and it’s great to show off your food catching talents while everyone nods and claps.

So food. Big BIG thumbs up from me.

GARDENS –
These men work so hard. And it shows in the quality and beauty of the grounds. Every blade of grass is pruned to divine perfection and you can’t help but just look around you constantly. The gardeners are so friendly and will always greet you, if you happen to meet. There are many animals that inhabit the ground. Iguanas are the most likely think you will see. It’s pretty cool to see them all poking their heads out of the ground early in the morning. Birds are abundant and also you might see any animals as well but I’m not going to try and name them. So for the gardens, 10 out of 10.

POOL –
The pools are perfect. They are always at the perfect temperature so you never jump in and freeze to death. They are always kept clean and tidy, as you see workers walking around all day long, picking up empty cups and rubbish that people leave around. You never feel unsafe as you can always see a life guard. So anyone with children, you can just leave them to do what they want as a life guard is ALWAYS watching. There is a swim up bar and a normal bar, connected together by the pool. And this is handy if you’re a bit lazy like me, and don’t want to get out of the pool to get a drink. It’s also a night place to talk to other people and socialise. The bar staff are very friendly and you can have a good laugh with them.
Sunbeds are very comfortable and you can adjust them to your liking. There is also tables to put your drinks on if you wish. Some sunbeds are sheltered, just so you have the option of getting out of the beautiful blazing sun. There are also many hammocks around the pool area for you to have a chill out in.

BEACH-
Wow. It was beautiful. The water is not cold and clear. You can also see a lot of fish in the water, if you wish, by the peer and in deeper waters. The sand is beautifully soft and clear from seaweed. Again a job well done by the staff. There’s a lot of sunbeds so you have no trouble finding a nice spot to sunbath and relax, listening to the waves. Again there is a lifeguard so there’s no need to worry. A little heads up. If you go to the palace side of the beach about 5pm-6pm (snorkelling) you might catch a glimpse of a few sea turtles that like to come to that area.

STAFF –
Words can’t describe how lovely the staff were. They always made you feel welcome, no matter where you went.
Buffet staff were always on hand to provide you with drinks and take your plates away. They also are very funny and you can have some laughs with them. Just a few that made our stay special were: Ivan and Omar. Two of the best waiters at the buffet.
Restaurant staff treated you like kings and queens. Now this makes you feel special and makes that little extra difference to your stay. Always ready to pull a chair out and in for the lady and were helpful, kind, funny and respectful. Fide was one of the waiters at the Mare Nostrum that just blew us away with his niceness.
Bar staff are fantastic. All of them were funny, kind, lively and friendly. Any drink you wanted was always made to perfection. My favourite, strawberry daiquiri frozen (just thinking about it makes me happy). But you don’t have to get any alcohol, there’s something for everyone. Tonnes of cocktails, shots, soft drinks, mock tails (cocktails with no alcohol), popcorn, nuts, olives, fruit and biscuits where all available from the bar. The best one by far though is Meradi, she is the best by far. I always looked forward to going back the bar just to see her. A truly amazing person.
Front desk staff were extremely helpful and could always answer any question you needed to ask. No problem was too big or too small for these people. Cleo is very helpful, kind and knowledgeable.
The Maids for the rooms are amazing. Your room will always be cleaned to immaculate perfection and a job will never be done to a bad standard.

WIFI-
I thought this was brilliant. I paid $100USD for two weeks of Wi-Fi. It might seem a lot but its well worth it. Someone like me who likes to stay in touch with my mum, this allowed me to ring her on skype and talk to her daily. Because I couldn’t get through a day without hearing my mums voice. The best place for Wi-Fi is in the room and at the lobby. In other places it can be slow but it still works.

TIPPING –
I thought I would put something about tipping the staff. I stress that you must tip the staff. It doesn’t have to be every day, or a lot of money. Just something to make them feel good and thank them for amazing service. These people work so hard to make your stay special and so should be rewarded.

A LITTLE SUM UP –
This is a holiday I will never forget and I’m very grateful for being given to chance to go. I was in pure bliss for 2 weeks and felt like I was special.
Everyone at the Barceló Maya tropical should be very proud of their achievement in such an amazing hotel. So Muchas Gracias! And I will definitely be back to see all the people I am missing already.
It would be nice if the people I mentioned got a little praise too. I just say again, Meradi (tequila bar), Ivan and Omar (buffet restaurant) and Fide (Mare nostrum).

Thank you for a fantastic holiday and I hope people can see for themselves how wonderful this place is. If I could go back tomorrow forever. I would.

Room Tip: 3rd Floor at Veracruz
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear lucy d.

We would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Tropical to expend this holiday.

We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments, our main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want them to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

Once again thank you very much; please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back.

Warmest Regards to Liverpool, Reino Unido.

Westchester, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Beautiful resort with wonderful pool activities (water polo, volleyball etc.) for my girls. Service was not what I had expected. Be prepared to wait for everything from, dinner reservations, drinks and water activities (jet ski, power sailing). Also, was not aware of receiving four dinner tickets to be used for restaurant dining. All other nights are for the buffet. We arrived on Friday, and on Saturday morning I was advised to make my dinner reservations for the week. You must wait on line to make a reservation and unfortunately the times were not to our liking. Availability was scarce, between 5pm-6pm for ALL the restaurants for the week. Too early for us but there was no budging on their part. Most importantly, DO NOT be late for your reservation because you will be denied entry--as we were! Also, we were not told the theatre was closed for renovations, however, we were transported to the Palace via trolly but were denied any drinks unless we paid for them. Majority off the hotel staff were not friendly and rarely smiled except for the activity staff members, they were wonderful!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Carolyn B.

First of all thank you for the time you have taken to share your experience on trip advisor as you know a hotel is defined by the quality of service it provides to its guests. Since our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you know that your comments and suggestions are taken seriously.

We will work on the issues you have mentioned as we truly want you to come back.
We would be grateful to have another opportunity to host you in the future.

We send you warmest regards to Westchester, New York, United States.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We have been going to this hotel for many years but this visit could be our last.

Good:
The grounds are beautiful and well kept - very clean, filled with iguanas, birds, etc. The check-in process was quick and we were on the way to our room. The room was also clean upon arrival with everything in stock in the refrigerator and then after each day. Plenty of drinks at the bars and nice bar service - although the cocktails at restaurant bars were much better because they were not filled ice like they are at beach bars. The food at buffet and restaurant was also good, although the buffet food didn't change much from the main course - there was also the same chicken, beef, rice, plus other dishes that I noticed every day even with theme changes. Yes, there were some changes to two or three dishes but overall it felt the same each night. Soups do change and some can be very tasty which I enjoyed, especially seafood, lobster, tomato, and onion soup. Plenty of sweets and ice cream with lots of variety, also plenty of different fruits. In the mornings, if you want your eggs omelet cooked there is usually a person that does it for you that you can also add lots of other condiments to it (onions, green peas, cheese, etc..) but don't wait in the long line because during breakfast time in the buffet there are actually 4 service people doing it, so walk around to see which line is the shortest - often in the other section of buffet (they mirror each other) there may be 1-2 people waiting vs 5-6 in the other, so you get it faster.

The bad:
We have been going to this resort and same Tropical section for many years and it made us come back each but there were things that accumulated over this trip that made me realize that this resort isn't the best anymore like I knew it before. Not sure what made this change but the service has gone done especially at the buffet (breakfast, lunch, dinner). The worst service is at the buffet where out of 50 waiters only 2-3 may be friendly and happy to do their job. We ate at buffet every morning and lunch time, and often times at dinner (if we didn't have a restaurant reservation). The waiters often greet you with a smile and ask for water or whatever cocktail/drink you want - which most of the time they bring it to you, but after that they were usually busy else where and only checking up on you every 15 mins or more. Finished plates were often times left at the table and we had to call the waiters to get them. There were so MANY times that we felt IGNORED because the waiters saw the finished plates and just passed us by without taking them.

The waiters at beach buffet grill are even worse (although there is a nice woman and never smiling guy - which are good), but the rest looked unhappy and seemed they didn't want to be there, at least that is the impression we got. If the main buffet service was not great, this one we thought was the worst because they hardly come around to ask you if you need another cocktail or take your finished plates. I even had to complain to the manager after our waiter for 30 minutes passed us by, looked at us, saw our table, plates, and didn't even stop to take all the finished plates. In all my visits at this resort, I have never witnessed it this bad.

You may say that I am biased towards one or two waiters, but this happened every day with different waiters (and again, we did have 3 really nice friendly ones with great service out of about 28 other waiters). Service to us is very important and when I noticed it being this bad, it was the worst turn-off towards this resort that I ever felt.

Restaurant service is so much better and friendlier that we couldn't believe how this is even possible, you are treated with excellent service and a waiter that always checks up on you if you need anything.

Maybe it was me but I noticed that the male waiters at buffet were willing to help out and gave more service to the ladies (which they often chatted up) especially at the beach buffet grill than they did to other tables with families.

Room Tip: 2nd floor or higher if you don't like bugs, dam smell, or workers easy access to your room (if y...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear Rogi D,
Barcelo Maya Tropical is lucky to have you as a guest, we deeply thank your loyalty to Barcelo Hotels & Resorts, your finest words regarding gardens is always much appreciated.
A hotel is defined by the quality of service it provides to its guests. Since our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you know that your comments and suggestions regarding Restaurant Service are taken seriously. We apologize for the impression and we will keep working to improve it.
We look forward to host your family again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality.

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!