“Amazing time we will return!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Tropical

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Tropical to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Tropical
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Federal Chetumal - Puerto Juarez, Km 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Alexandria, Virginia
“Amazing time we will return!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

My family and I just returned last week from a 6 day long vacation at Barcelo Maya and I would like to say thank you to all staff for a relaxing and super enjoyable time. The servers at the restaurants and bars are all super kind and humble which is one thing we will greatly miss.

It was our first time in Mexico and staying at in all inclusive resort and let me say it was spectacular!! I definitely recommended reserving transportation online before you get to the airport it will be cheaper. Once we arrived at Barcelo the employees greeted us with cocktails. The check-in process was quick and easy. As recommended in several reviews--reserve your dinner at arrival or else you will be stuck with meal times or restaurants you might not have preferred to go. Unfortunately Wi-fi was not included in the room we reserved so if I ever return I will reserve a superior room. However you could also pay for wifi per day to use while there, which is what I ended up doing. It was about $ 35.00. We stayed in the Veracruz building on the first floor which was peaceful and nice. We had direct access to a garden which was beautiful to see every time we woke up. I had read previous reviews so I used the safe provided for all our valuables every time we left the room. Either way we never had an issue with things missing or moved around. The room was cleaned daily and fridge stocked. One incident that we were not so happy about was that on our third day we sent our bath robes to wash. When we returned later that day no robes available, we even called and asked the maid to bring them back. Each time we asked they said they would have two delivered but they never arrived. The beds were comfortable and the pillows were a bit on the firm side but, it was not that bad that my back horribly hurt or neck. We went with my 75 year old aunt and she slept like a baby every night. Overall we were happy with our room, I mean who goes on vacation to stay enclosed in four walls. The shows at the theater were entertaining I mean do not expect broadway but, they were great themes such as Cubanisimo, Mexico, Circus, around the world and Fantasia.

Let me just say that Barcelo Maya is one of the biggest resorts on the Riviera Maya because it has five lobbies however there is a shuttle to transport you around if you have trouble walking far.

The Buffet - It was walking distance shared between our lobby (Tropical) and Caribe. My first time there my eyes were amazed because there was so much food! Every night has some sort of new food available. It was very delicious I can't complain. An abundance of yummy fresh fruit which I loved.

The restaurants- We had dinner at the steakhouse it was good and the service great. They had a variety of options which was nice. We then had dinner at Kyoto the Japanese hibachi restaurant. That was a really great restaurant and I was very satisfied with the cuisine. I recommend reserving one of your dinners here, you will not be disappointed.

The pool- Barcelo Maya has two really huge pools and an olympic size one. We went in them a couple times the water was warm which I liked because I'm not a fan of cold water. There is surprisingly enough space to swim around. You would think a resort that big would have the pools filled with lots people but we never encountered that issue.

The beach- The waters are clear with soft white sand. Yes, there are some big rocks on the floor but they appear a couple feet in. I do not think water shoes are a necessity because the rocks are not sharp. As you walk in you can clearly see where the rocks are located and you can avoid them. Besides as you enter deeper they disappear. There are also several non-motorized sports that you can do at the beach however you need to sign up early to reserve the catamarans.
We were disappointed with the snorkel company's customer service. We tried to go on a snorkel trip one morning which is an extra cost and we had no problem paying. They added our names to the book and were on time at the meeting spot. However when we arrived they told us that there was a minimum of four people needed to go on the trip but this condition was never discussed with us. If that was stated in the beginning then that would have been understandable but they failed to do so which seemed to us as bad customer service.

- Side note: there are excursions you can book in your lobby such as visiting the Mayan ruins. We visited Coba which was an amazing experience along with a cavern you could swim in called a cenote, we visited a mayan family and lunch was included as well. We were happy we visited Coba instead of Tulum because this is the last year Coba can be climbed, all the other ruins are not allowed to be climbed anymore.

Overall extremely pleased with our stay at Barcelo Maya and will return soon I give it a 4.5 rating :)

Room Tip: The Veracruz rooms on the Tropical side are far away from the theater to give those who sleep early...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Mercedes V,
We are pleased to know your comments, since they help us to constantly improve, thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your first vacation in México as well of your kind and wide description of our facilities.
A hotel is defined by the quality of service it provides to its guests. Since our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you know that your comments and suggestions are taken seriously. Once again thank you very much, we would be grateful to have another opportunity to host you and family in the future.
Best Wishes,

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Polish first
Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We just got back from 12 days at the Tropical hotel and that makes for a total of more than a month worth of days spent at this resort. There really is no where else to stay if you are interested in a great beach with snorkeling and without rocks and big waves.
The resort was extremely well maintained - we had noticed broken tiles in front of our room the second day we were there and by the end of the day they were replaced. We also had a broken soap dispenser, which was also fixed the same day. There are landscapers everywhere maintaining the grounds, pool maintenance in the pool every morning - really just well maintained.

The rooms:
No complaints. Mini fridge was always filled with only diet coke and water as we requested. The air conditioner is frigid. We faced the Theater which was loud enough for us to hear with windows closed, but the show is over by 10:30pm. We didn't go to the shows but the night Fantasia was on we could here it and it sounded amazing. I got dressed and went to the theater to watch it - Friday nights, highly recommend. Beds and pillows were wonderful. I almost considered packing a pillow to take home with me!

The food:
This is holding me back from the 5th star. They do not label vegetarian or vegan which is ridiculous. They have a vegetarian section but you will only find a pile of alfalfa sprouts and some shredded vegetables. Why not label your rice, beans, pastas, as vegetarian if they are? I constantly had to ask the chefs and then stand there waiting while they checked. I was told by one chef the beans were vegan and then another that there was pork and yet another told me there was lard. Even the menus in the restaurants don't mention vegetarian, which is weird, because they used to. Quality of the food is great, no complaints there. The lunch and dinner are typically the same at the buffets. AVOID the Mexican restaurant at Caribe - shockingly slow service, salty food. At any given moment you look around and no one is eating - everyone is just waiting. Unfortunately that night was our 10 year anniversary, which we told the waiter, but no special acknowledgment.

The Pools:
Excellent - bring an insulated mug for the swim up bar. People reserve chairs in the morning but we never had a problem finding some in the middle of the day. Towels were a big problem for us. They were always out of towels by 7pm, so if we went night swimming we were screwed. One night we were so frustrated we called the operations/front desk to complain and they assured me they would have the laundry team bring towels in 20 minutes. They never showed up and we walked back to our room dripping wet. Other than that, the pools are maintained, huge and beautifully lit at night.

Added bonus - they release sea turtles at sun down on the beach. They do not advertise when this is going to happen so it pays to take a sunset walk down the beach each night and ask a life guard if they are going to release turtles. That was such an unexpected surprise the night before we left.

I found the employees went above what was expected to make sure we were happy. They were concerned, responsive (except for the towels) and grateful. If I leave any advice it would be to tip the people you usually would not. The bartenders make plenty on tips for work that is nothing compared to the people working in the laundry, cleaning your room, making your pasta or pizza at the buffet. These people could not be more genuinely touched when you give them a tip. I actually stopped tipping the bar tenders and tipped the others and felt amazing. I even gave my sodas from the fridge to some of the landscapers. I struck up a conversation with a worker and he earns about $24/day and often has to work up to 14 hours when required to cover the theater or the disco.

Anyways, no need to continue looking for another resort (unless you want adults-only), this is the best!.

Room Tip: Tropical - towards the pool but facing the Caribe side (not the Palace side). We had room 7341 and i...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear cajode200.

Barceló Maya Tropical is lucky to have you as a guest, we deeply thank your loyalty to Barceló Hotels & Resorts, your finest words regarding rooms, pools, gardens and services are always much appreciated.

Thank you for your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay, Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities, we will work on Maintenance, Housekeeping, Food & Beverages issues to improve them. Since our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you know that your comments and suggestions are taken seriously.

We look forward to host you again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back.

Warmest Regards to Thousand Oaks, California.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We, 19 people stayed at the resort for a family gathering from June 30th to July 7th of this year, 2014.

First of all, we 'd like to thank Ms.Guadalupe Sosa Pegueros, Director of Maya Tropical for arranging our rooms in the same building and for making our restaurant reservations. Secondly, I'd like to thank the staff for an excellent, pleasant stay at the resort.

Here are what we experienced at the resort:

Grounds:
Grounds were beautiful, clean and green, flowers all around. It was a pleasure to walk/run around the resort every morning and to see the sunrise.

Rooms:
Our rooms were in Yucatan building, only short distances to the beach, lobby, buffet, restaurant ... They were very clean and spacious. The staff cleaned our rooms and restocked the fridge daily. If you like to have something more, leave a note and a couple of 1 dollar bills then voila you have them the next morning. We loved their peanuts, so we did that a couple of times.

Pool and Beach:
Beach is just gorgeous and stunning, very long and great for walking. The sand is very white and soft, the water is clear turquoise. Parts of the beach are rocky but you can always find some large areas that have no rocks at all. There were plenty of chairs, we never had any issues getting chairs at the beach or the pool. We spent most of our time at the beach. We went snorkeling a couple of times and saw stingrays and all kinds of beautiful fish.

Beach Activities:
We did Beach Volleyball, Snorkelling, Kayaking, Sailing. They were all enjoyable.

Nightly Entertainment:
This is their weakest link. The shows were boring, nothing interesting.

Service:
Service was great, employees were very friendly and welcoming

Drinks:
Excellent cocktails. I really enjoyed mojitos, mudslides, sex-in-the-beach, California-dreams, Tequila-sunrise, mango daiquiri ...

Buffet:
The food was great, lots of choices. We all enjoyed the food very much. The theme of Monday night is seafood, lobsters à VOLONTÉ.

Restaurants:
The Japanese is the best of all. The food was excellent. We loved the atmosphere here and it was really a pleasure to watch the cook doing the show while cooking. It was way over our expectation. The food at the Seafood and the Steak house was excellent as well but we ranked these in second (What were they missing? the atmosphere). The Capri is in the last place but we really had an enjoyable meal there.

The gym: I tried the gym a couple times, in early mornings. They have good equipments. Hot at first, but I got used to it quickly.

Hotel Check In/Out:
Went very smoothly and quickly.

We had a wonderful, memorable time at this resort and we will definitely go back whenever we have a chance. A few of our family members were reluctant at first but after spending time eating, drinking, relaxing at this resort they want to go again next year

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear shiny999,
Your words regarding Barceló Maya Tropical are much appreciated. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations. It’s been a great surprise to find my complete name on your review. I remain at your service, I’m glad to know the location of your rooms were as you wanted.
I look forward to welcome you back. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.
Warmest Regards,
gteoperaciones,tropical@barcelomaya.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My wife and I just stayed at Barcelo Tropical. We enjoyed our stay, but there were major things that took away from our beautiful stay. In this case, I will start with the bad.

The bed was truly terrible. Very hard, we asked for a pad to make the bed softer. They put that on it, and it felt like a air mattress. We asked to have the bed switched. And after the 2nd day of not happening. We asked multiple times and it was never switched. We had to sleep with the ceiling fan off, because it was about to fall out of the ceiling. We even requested to pay to have a nicer room and they didn't have vacancy.

So, they worst is yet to come. We came home the 4th night and the sheets that we requested to be changed. Had blood on them. Yes, blood.

I can't attach a photo onto this, so I will on the tripadvisor to confirm. I was thoroughly upset and still nothing was done.

The last straw and the worst taste was put into our mouth at the end of the trip. We missed our shuttle set up by Vacation Express due to the shuttle changing times the night before. We take some responsibility here, as we should have checked. But how the front desk employees handled it after that was very rude. I consulted with another shuttle driver from Vacation Express who took us to the airport because he had room, but he consulted with the bell boy in Spanish. Which my wife understood and the bell boy said he should charge me $50 for a shuttle I had already paid for. The front desk employees tried to charge me $1.50 per minute to reach out to the local Vacation Express employee that was on call to get some help. And said "it wasn't that much"

So, needless to say these terrible things took away from the beauty of the actual hotel. The pool is huge and very spread out. You can have floats. Waterfalls. The food is actually fairly delicious. And the restaurants are really really great!

The snorkeling is great! I suggest bringing your own as you have to put a $50 deposit per snorkel per hour. Not bad for free snorkeling, but and inconvenience.

So, I would unfortunately not stay at Barcelo due to the poor room conditions and terrible front desk, and hospitality staff.

• Stayed July 2014
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Eric H,
First of all please accept our apologies for the bad impression taken from this hotel during your check out. A hotel is defined by the quality of service it provides to its guests. Since our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you know that your comments and suggestions are taken seriously.
We would be grateful to have another opportunity to host you in the future.
Best Regards,
ok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Xmas 2013 was wonderful. This a great resort as well as a great value. The room was absolutely fine but we were rarely in it. The basketball, beach volleyball, ping pong, water polo, mini golf, snorkeling kept our 15 yr old engaged for an entire week. We just booked again for the week of Christmas 2014 today and our son immediately IM'd his friends from France, Italy and Canada and YES, they are returning with their families as well. Great food, great new friends, relaxing time with my spouse. We appreciated the staff and the quality of the management. See ya the 21st!

Room Tip: So many options, quieter near lobby. Beachside more convenient for recreation.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear dsdph,

Barcelo Maya Tropical is lucky to have your family as our repetitive guests, we deeply thank your loyalty to Barcelo Hotels & Resorts, your finest words regarding our Service and Facilities are always much appreciated.
Once again thank you very much; we look forward to see you!

Canton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed here at the Tropical June 30 - July 4. This place is enormous as it expands several different resorts which you can go to. Depending on where you stay and the type of wristband you have will determine your full access though. The staff is absolutely awesome. The buffets are great and have all types of food, even a vegetarian area.

We are at two restaurants at the resort - the Asian and Mediterranean. Both were awesome.

There is plenty of entertainment at night at the resort in their theaters. The bars close around 11 PM though... So if you want to be out after that, you'll have to go to the discotheque.

Only complaint was the lack of free wifi, but it was nice to be "free" from devices for a while.

Stayed July 2014
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Nate C,
We are pleased to know your comments, since they help us to constantly improve, thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your vacation as well of your kind recommendation, we accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. One of our goals is to provide service and facilities of great quality. We are happy to know the good impression our staff and facilities gave you.
We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments,
Warmest Regards to Georgia,
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My husband and I took my daughter for graduation. Let me start out with the not so good. The nightlife is not that great. If you like to be in bed by 10:30 then it's perfect, or if you are over 18 you can go to the disco, which we did not, since my daughter is 17. The entertainment at the resort was just ok, nothing special to me. The buffet does get boring after a while, but there is always plenty of food! The alacarte restaurants were ok but not what I expected. We loved Kyoto, that was the best, that is a MUST!!! I could not drink the fruity drinks at the resort because I thought the juice they used tasted like aspartame. But that's just me. This is not the fault of the resort, but it's so hot in Mexico and the pools were very warm, not very refreshing. We had no problems checking in or out, but I always had to wait for a bit.

Now for the good. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. The employees here work VERY HARD and it shows. They were always very friendly! No complaints about the staff at all!!!!! The rooms were nice and big with a comfy bed! The beach is stunning! The red flag was up most of our vacation, but people were still swimming!

We hired a taxi one day and our driver, Diego, was fantastic. He took us to Tulum and Akumel and he communicated for us, told us where to go to get tickets and then he waited around for us. He charged us $90 USD for the day and he was fantastic. We also went to the Cenotes across the street. There is one with a big advertised sign that is pricey, Diego took us to the other one right beside it. Chikin-Ha. It was really nice to swim in cold fresh water! We also took a trip to Xplor for the day. I booked that trip online before we left and everything was perfect! We booked our transportation to and from the airport with USA Transfers, also perfect! We had never been to Cancun so landing at the airport and getting a beer as soon as you step outside is great! Shots of Tequilla were flowing also! Be prepared to drink tequilla...it's offered at every meal, even breakfast at the buffet! Most of the shops in the plaza do not take cash. You pay with credit card or charge to your room. If you are looking for an ice cold Corona, visit the Corona store in the plaza. $1 for a small bottle of Corona! We had a few there! The Corona on tap at the resort is warmer then I like it. It's a must to bring your own "bubba" keg. They do sell them there, but we brought our own. They have no problem filling it up. We never had a problem finding a chair on the beach or anywhere. We did swim with the Dolphins there also. It was very fun, however the photos cost as much as the experience. We paid $220 USD for a DVD and all our photos on DVD. The Dolphin push is a MUST! We snorkeled one day for an hour but the waves were so large that is made it hard. The second time we went back we were told that they stop the rentals at 3:00 pm and that they didn't have any snorkel gear since 10 am that morning because the snorkel tours on the boats take precedence and they get the gear first. I did not think that was right. So bring your own snorkel gear if you want to snorkel a lot, otherwise, you may not get the chance. As far as bio-degradable sunscreen off the resort, I bought some, but no one ever checked and everyone was using regular sunscreen! All in all we had a wonderful trip. I was worried about the hour long commute to and from the airport, but it actually gave me a chance to see more of Mexico and to relax!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear justamainer,
We would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Maya Tropical to expend your family trip, we are glad to know you liked the service and facilities, we thank you for your comments since these will help us to improve every day.
We really appreciate your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay; Barceló Maya Beach Resort is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.
We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!