“Good place for young families, Well run all inclusive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Tropical

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Tropical to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Tropical
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Federal Chetumal - Puerto Juarez, Km 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“Good place for young families, Well run all inclusive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We are a couple with a 2 year old toddler who traveled to attend a wedding at the nearby Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya. We decided not to stay at the HRH because Trip Advisor reviews by other families. Furthermore, after many trips with our boy we've learned we must have a one bedroom suite for the three of us which was not available at the HRH. (He gets a quiet dark room to sleep in and mom & dad get some private time together before bed.) In the end even though it was inconvenient for us to attend the wedding and we didn’t get to spend as much time with our extended family as we wanted to, we are very happy we stayed at the Barcelo property.

Resort Location
First if you're like me and looking for a spot you might be wondering. What is the difference between the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, Maya Tropical, Maya Colonial, Maya Caribe, Maya Beach? I'm not sure but I know they are all side by side can you can pretty much access the other's facilities with few exceptions namely the Palace Deluxe a la carte restaurants. And as I understand if you can't you can always pay a little extra for access. Also, be aware it's an hour car ride from the Cancun airport to the Riviera Maya.

Check-in
The check-in lobby was large and nicely lit, unfortunately the breezeway was very dark when we arrived due to two non-functioning light fixtures. Our luggage was delivered to us in a timely manner. Unfortunately the crib we requested was not in the room when we arrived, but delivered promptly after a call. Once it arrived, we quickly realized our 36 inch tall son would barely fit in it so he ended up sleeping in our bed most of the stay. The broken bulbs frustratingly took 2 days and multiple calls to different people to resolve. That was my only major disappointment with the Barcelo.

Accommodations
Our room (Suite Ocean Front Club Premium) in the Veracruz building was large and exactly as pictured, a living area and bedroom separated by a solid door. Be aware even thought it says ocean front, it does not have an ocean view. The suite is a 1.5 bath unit with the half bath in the living area, away from the bedroom where we could brush our teeth or use the restroom to not risk waking up our little one. The master bathroom is large with a tub that easily fit myself and my two year old, toilet stall and separate shower stall. I did note that the door to the master toilet only opens about 2 feet wide so if that’s an issue there is the standard 3 foot doorway to the toilet in the living area. I’ve read other reviews that the mattress was hard. We found our king size bed to be on the firm, but still comfortable side.

The living space is large and comfortable. We used the comfortable dinette set often to enjoy room service which was nice for occasions when we couldn’t eat until after our little one went to sleep.

There are separate thermostats in the bedroom and living area each and in the heat of summer we were able to keep our suite at 23C (73F) throughout the day.

Coming from the SF bay area, we consider ourselves foodies. The buffet was pretty good, better than what I've had at places like Hometown Buffet. The a la carte restaurants were darn good as well. As other reviewers have said, make your dinner reservations the moment you arrive. The reservations desk is open until 10pm or 11pm near the check-in counter. With our two dinner options, we decided on the steakhouse and Japanese. The rack of lamb entree at the Sante Fe is a full rack. The skill of the teppanyaki chefs at Kyoto was better than the shows you'll see in the US at Benihana. They did amazing things with the spatulas from juggling eggs to tossing small bites of food into the mouths of diners with 90% accuracy. The Surf and Turf at Kyoto is really that... lobster tail and steak unlike the steak and shrimp my parents had at the nearby Hard Rock. The hot food was well prepared, however quality of the sashimi and sushi rolls was acceptable but not great.

With the suite, room service was free although as you might expect the menu is limited. That said, the quality of the room service food made it understandable. The chicken noodle soup and flank steak are great, shrimp cocktail was huge and tasty (unlike some tasteless shrimp I’ve experienced at a local Vietnamese place lately) although mixed with avocados and served in a pineapple shell wasn't quite what quite what we expected. They stock the refrigerators very well with water and drinks. That said we had two full mini fridges, one in the bedroom and one in the living space, really convenient in our situation.

Dolphins
The Barcelo property has five dolphins on site which you can experience up close for between $100-$200. After reading one other reviewer’s comments about the dolphins swimming area being small, I decided to check it out for myself. I can see where she is coming from, however it didn't seem any smaller than the dolphin experience location my wife and I experienced ~10 years ago in the Florida Keys. I’m not a veterinarian by any means, but they look to be in relatively good condition and after a busy day it’s would seem best they get left alone after 5pm.

Beach
As the Barcelo Maya is a large property (seriously, there is a free shuttle between all properties), the beach is expansive and offers a few choices. There’s the expansive sandy beach, a rocky area, and where the pier meets the shore there are tide pools. My little boy saw his first Hermit crab there. For the romantically inclined you can have a beautiful dinner for two on the beach with Christmas lights along the pathway to your table.

Pool
We spent most of our time at the large kiddie area right next to the adult pool with the swim up bar. The pool is well designed as a wading pool surrounding a variety of water slides. Most were too fast for our two year old and arguably his clumsy parents who bruised their knees going down the slide. The five year olds around didn’t seem to have a problem. But there are two gentle slides in the shape of a frog and butterfly which would be fine for him if only he had the courage.

In retrospect, I wish I made time to join the water aerobics class which happens at noon.

Facilities & Safety
As I mentioned before when we booked our stay back in February 2014, we were concerned with the safety of the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya based on other Trip Advisor reviews. I should mention during the half day I was at the HRH I didn’t notice any safety concerns for a toddler, but from our brief stay seeing the pool, beach and my parent’s room, it is more suitable for young teens to adults. At the Barcelo Colonial, we felt very safe letting our son walk a little further from us. The walls along the breezeways & balcony still tower over his 36” frame. The stairs have handrails. The only place we kept him a little closer to us was near the buffet and a la carte restaurants where the walkways are straddled by what I’d guess to be 18” deep pools for the fountains.

After scraping her knee at the waterslide, my wife requested some first aid from the front desk one evening. Since the medic wasn’t immediately available he offered to have the medic go to our room. Sure enough she showed up within 20 minutes and applied basic first aid to clean and bandage the wound.

Tours
I'm very glad I heeded the advice of my friends and the concierge, by not taking my two year old to Chichen Itza. At Tulum, my little one was sweating heavily and downed an entire bottle of cold Gatorade. All this despite being lucky he had a relatively cool for that time of year according to our tour guide.

Summary
Our friend with a toddler of the same age raved about another family resort closer to Cancun so we might try that next time. But if you’re a young family looking for a resort near Puerto Adventuras, I would highly suggest considering the Barcelo resort.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Willie C
We have read your opinion and really appreciate the valuable time you have taken to share your comments regarding your past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical, we are glad to know you were pleased with the Resort. We cannot thank you enough for the detail description of the resort, lobby, kid´s pools and beach.
Feedback from our guests, both past and present, helps us improve our services and achieve our main goal, which is complete customer satisfaction. Thank you very much for your preference, we look forward to see you.
Best Regards,

gteoperaciones,tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Great one-week vacation at the Tropical hotel in Barcelo Maya resort. Food was pretty good, drinks available just about everywhere. Room was clean and attended to every day. Paid extra for Wi-Fi, but was well worth it. Staff was friendly, and appreciated the tipping. Best resort in Mexico, wouldn't go to any other.

Room Tip: Room 7677 on the third floor of Veracruz building was perfect. Close to the lobby, bar, buffet, on t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear VladanT,
We really appreciate your kind review on Trip Advisor, your comments are important to the success of our organization.
Warmest Regards to Vancouver.
OHIO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Just returned last night! Great place. Rooms sand building areas were clean and mini fridge always stocked with drinks. The Beach was super clean and swim friendly with plenty of lounge chairs and palm trees.
Buffet style food was typical for an all inclusive, some great, some not so good but that's based on tastes and not a general quality issue, typical (in my opinion) for feeding "masses" of people at varied schedules 3 different meals a day!

Beach side grill, swim up bars and pool side service were great!! All in all, a nice resort with great amenities, and a great place to walk around bare foot for a few days to forget your 9 to 5 troubles!

The only negative I can cite is that in the ala'carte restaurants, the air conditioning is not very good if you are seated anywhere near the open kitchens or in the lobby.

Have fun. We would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2014
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear Guest,
We really appreciate your kind review on Trip Advisor, your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We are pleased to know you would come back in a heartbeat.
Warmest Regards to Ohio.

Toledo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Our stay lasted 15 LONG hours. We have always stayed in Cancun and decided to try Riveria Maya as an adventure. What an adventure. The hotel is more than an hour from the Cancun Airport (90 minutes). The hotel is open air (no AC) with birds flying about. The hotel rooms are separate buildings - similar to Motel 6 only painted in a tropical blend of colors, connected by sidewalks covered with thatched roofs. I normally don't sweat easy and sweat was pouring off me. The beach which was NOT impressive was about a quarter mile from the Motel 6 lodging. The good tasted like cafeteria food, all cooked in the same pot. We couldn't get out of there fast enough and had to endure a nights stay directly across from the karaoke theater that stayed open until 11 pm. This was a national lampoon vacation until we relocated to Cancun the next morning!

• Stayed May 2014
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Toledo,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

Regards

Abbotsford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I should have written a review the first time we went to the Barceló. We have been three times (2011, 2013, 2014) each time staying in the Tropical section, and I'm fairly certain it won't be our last!

Overall we find it to be great value for dollar, although when we returned this year in January we were a little disappointed to find out that we could not use the restaurants in the Caribe or Beach sections of the resort without paying $25 per person. In times past you were able to access those a la carte restaurants as well as the ones at the Tropical or Colonial sections as part of the 'all-inclusive' package we had purchased, only having to pay extra when using one of the Palace restaurants.

The service we've experienced has been mostly great, like anything else there is the odd exception...but overall very good.

The rooms are not fancy, but clean. We have discovered that if you find the bed to be too hard that there is a mattress pad between the box spring and top mattress, so we pull that out as soon as we get our room! I was very excited this year because there were nice fluffy pillows, usually they are flat, which from my understanding is common place in a lot of the all-inclusives in Mexico ( and has been my experience also). We have stayed in both the Jalisco and Veracruz buildings...prefer Veracruz as it's a bit further away from the tequila bar.

You cannot beat the beach at the Barceló, it's got some reef to snorkel and beautiful sand, lots of chairs! We've seen turtles and lots of fish....and a Barracuda (twice...they have a lot of teeth)!!! We walked all the way to the end where there is an abandoned resort, kind of eerie but neat to see.

The only thing that was really disappointing to us this time was that they have built a dolphin pool on the property...it made me really sad to see these beautiful creatures penned up in a swimming pool...and it was just that, not anything resembling the ocean,except the ocean has water too!

Room Tip: Veracruz building is quieter.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Dear Guest,
We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations. Feedback from our guests, both past and present, helps us improve our services and achieve our main goal, which is complete customer satisfaction.
I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs, as we would like the opportunity to provide you with the level of service you had received and expect from Barceló Maya Tropical.
Warmest Regards to Canada.
Bear, Delaware, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Was at the this resort for the week of 06/01/14.Had a great time.remember to bring your own mugs/cups 16 to 24 ozs.Water shoes for entry to the sea.Book all Ala carte 1st thing after checking in.Did not upgrade to anything just stayed with base prices.check in was easy and nice.
check out had slight problem with bill but was taken care of and handled .Rooms are cleaned
every day leaving a 3.00 tip under the pillow for the maid .Tip the driver to and from the air port
10.00 bucks each way.about a 1 20 ride to resort from airport.ALL food was good tip them 3.00 for
the buffets and 10.00 for the restarants,1.00 for each each trip to the bar.(bring plenty of dollar bills lol)ALLin all another great trip the people hear work very hard and will try to do anything to please you.Great job by the whole staff!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Pat
We would like to thank you for sharing your impressions on Trip Advisor regarding your last visit to Barcelo Maya Tropical. We appreciate your kind comments and recommendations. We are glad to know you enjoyed your trip and our Staff left a good impression.
We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Warmest Regards to Delaware, USA.

Penticton BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My family stayed at the Barcelo Tropical during the last week in May. In short, this is a fabulous property over which my two little girls shed tears upon leaving. We had upgraded to the Premium rooms simply as we wanted a sea view. This we had, and indeed it was glorious to look out at night from the 3rd level balcony. It was away from the noise of the theatre, but, to be honest, the glass doors are well made and most sounds do tend to be shut out. Essentially, all rooms are of the same design and layout, and appear likewise in ALL of the Barcelo properties. Maybe some are older, some are newer, but all much the same. They are clean, well air conditioned, and silent. Not high end, maybe, not overly roomy, a little hard with the mattresses, but then where isn’t in Mexico?

As far as the girls (10 and 7. Yes. I know. Strange names, eh?!) were concerned, this was the “best holiday EVA” and thus the hotel performed its duty and magic. The grounds are lush and extensive, the pools endless and clean, and the beach is arguably the best on the Mayan Riviera (especially the beach in front of the ,well, “Beach” resort, which is on the right as you look at the site map). Hence, what is there NOT to like? Well, there were a few negatives, but I will get to them later, and I must say that the positives far outweigh them.

Firstly, which of the Barcelos does one choose? They have different prices and some are labeled as “exclusive” and some as 4 star, others 4+, others 5 star. Confusing, eh?
In my opinion they should all be the same cost and star and treated equally as they all have pros and cons. The “Beach” (on the right as you look at the site map) is brand new, offers a Jacuzzi on the decks and has the best beach and the cleanest and quietest pools. The evening sun goes down to strains of Mexican or even Classical music from the bar, and overall it was the most “refined” and tranquil of the areas. The architecture is more modern and less “Mayan” and this may not appeal to all, therefore, who want to revel in the Mexican theme.

The middle one (the “Colonial” and “Tropical”) has the endless free-form pools, thatched covered walkways and kids club with the waterslides. It also has these gorgeous gardens and water features that are a joy to walk around. One pool (nearest the “Beach”)was quiet-ish, and popular with the locals, but the nearer you get to the Palace complex, the more the noise goes up and the louder the “Techno bass throb” booms around the area. This tended to attract the early morning drinkers and Race Car Ya-Yas, eager sport their latest tattoos!

The Palace complex itself is billed as “exclusive” but this is probably based more on the price rather than the facts. Indeed it was by for the most populated and noisy, with the one pool being a haven for the loudest music and clientele. The exceptionally beautiful lobby complex is clearly designed for wedding photos and corporate meetings and thus it was Silicon Valley meeting Silicon chests everywhere. It was loud, it was brash, it was ear-splittingly noisy in the pool and this seemed the perfect site for Frat Boy parties, people who like to chant the name of their country in the pool ad infinitum (yes. I know where I come from, thank you!.)
I would suspect this to be a preferred haunt for Bachelor parties, weddings and Honey BooBoo. Thus, it isn’t surprising that they have had to build an “adults only” pool in the complex which is simply gorgeous and a Heavenly retreat after listening to several hours of middle of the road Western Pop Muzac or drunken water aerobics. This pool, in itself, may justify moving up to the “Palace” Complex as it gets you away from the other pond and the other pond life.

And why the slight “negative” points that I mentioned above? Well, they are minor but worth a mention. The Hotel is priced very, very reasonably and you get a lot of bang for your buck. However, this is also the negative, if you think about it. It is packed with guests. It caters for all parties and all comers and all ages, thus the noise levels can be high. The buffet restaurants are staffed by tireless service staff who barely get a chance to breathe, thus getting to know a member of staff on a personal level is almost impossible. The buffets are cramped, rushed and impersonal. And here’s the big, big draw back: whereas we are not foodies, the food was also very “entry level” all around. To come to Mexico and have to ask for Tabasco to add SOME DEGREE of taste to the food is a measure of what you are in for. There is fruit and salad, and that is about as tasty as you’ll get. The rest is burgers, hot dogs, pizza and authentic Mexican cuisine such as “beef stew” or “roast chicken”. Oh, and omelets. Sadly, this can be reported as the worst food I have tasted in 7 trips to the area and probably the main reason that we won’t return. Again, this is probably due to keeping costs down and probably due to having to cater to the masses that come in, thus needing to put the Walmart and Bachelor party tastes above all else.

Hence, my first tip is to book your A La Carte restaurants EARLY in your trip, as most people realize the dreadfulness of the buffets quite early on and there’s a stampede for something that tastes more authentic than a tortilla chip with re-fried beans.

And at these restaurants we get to the second problem. That is, there is only one beer and one type of wine covered in the “all inclusive” package. You have to spend more to get anything other than “simply foul paint stripper”. (or else rapidly move to drinking cocktails). The same applies to the bars. One type of beer, one type of wine, or else get your money out! Again, this is probably down to the need to keep costs low. As beer and wine drinkers who like some tasty food, we must be the only people who have come away from an “all inclusive” resort with profound weight loss due to a non alcohol and total salad diet! Having clients move into shooters and cocktails is a wise financial decision, obviously, as expensive wines and a large selection of beers puts costs up a lot. The less wine and more cocktails you drink, the less you notice the food quality so it’s a double win situation.

So, watch out for the extra charges would be another hint. This especially applies to the Dolphin pool, wherein you get a lovely interactive programme with these glorious creatures ( whether or not they should be kept in a small pool is another debate which I won’t go into).However, as you leave, a photo package can be over $300 USD. In comparison, a whole day at, say Xel Ha (with their professional photographers )comes in at about $70 USD.

The shops in the complex are a little pricey but you would expect that. However, as pointed out in many other blogs, the price of sun-screen is particularly exorbitant.

They say that the Internet is free for Premium guests. True, but it is only available in the Lobby. Sometimes. For limited times, and it’s as slow as molasses. This is a good thing, maybe, as it teaches us to get away from the infernal phones and pads! I never got a signal in our room, nor would it have been useful as there are only two plug sockets per room. Thus, my second hint is to bring along one of those thingies which turns one plug into three. Then all your corporate wanna-bees and texting teens can recharge their devices (which will then not pick up a wi-fi signal!). A roaming data plan on your phone will be needed if you are in the habit of communicating with your friends across a table through text rather than by voice.

These are OUR negatives. I must say that the positives far outweigh them. The staff must be the number one “plus” as they work round the clock, tirelessly and with good cheer, and are always prompt and polite, even when rushed beyond belief. The Kids club is outstanding, the theatre shows spectacular and the grounds immaculate and clean. Our room was cleaned quickly and early and efficiently every morning, and towels were abundant and huge.

I highly recommend seeing Kathleen at the Trip-booking desk as she is
a) Phenomenal and
b) Can get you easily and simply into Tulum, Xel-Ha and other such days out (where the food and drink is astronomically better!) The tours booked through the hotel directly have the advantage that they don’t stop off at scores of other hotels en route, unlike those tours booked by your travel company. Hence, you tend to go directly to your attraction without delay.

Please also go to the guest services desk early as well so that your restaurants can be booked in time. Beware, there IS a dress code for the A La Carte places(although it wasn’t always applied. We did see one man ejected from the Japanese restaurant for improper attire, yet the same dress was allowed by clients of the seafood one). Men: you are SUPPOSED to wear long trousers, collared shirts and “closed toed shoes”. It seems that they overlook the odd tee shirt, but get upset at the sight of hairy legs and male toenails! As mine are particularly offensive, I would agree with this policy 100%!

I’m not a fan of seafood, sushi, and all that slippery wet stuff. However, the seafood and Japanese restaurants were by far the best and worth a second visit.

Suggestions, maybe, for the management (aside from the mumbles and moans above!): as these places are clearly aimed at the North American and Central American market (….very few other nationalities were spotted, unlike other resorts where Europeans tend to lurk around and provide some flair and panache!)
a) we all seem addicted to fancy coffee these days. A coffee shop (many brands are available!) in each lobby would be pleasant and would bring in extra income, to fund the…..
b) ….outdoor eating facility. As yet, all restaurants/buffets are indoors. It would be nice to have a patio outside somewhere. If this potentially new place could also serve “higher end food”, maybe even for an entrance fee, I would certainly pay for that. Please, no more re-fried beans, hot dogs and pizzas!

Overall, we were very sad to go. Fond memories of great staff, beautiful grounds, stunning beaches and pools….. and foul food and beer that generated a weight loss programme. If I heard that the food is being catered for by a different company (and not a Gulag provider!) I would be very tempted to return, especially if I could have a choice of drinks with that. Maybe in this “off season/rainy season” the food and drink is purposely down-graded to cut costs, as I’ve read many reviews PRAISING the food (although most come from Bachelorette groups and Frat boy parties, so a good tasting local dish may not be as high on the priority list as an abundance of shooters and a data roaming plan!). As far as my 2 girls were concerned, there were enough bacon and eggs and funny coloured drinks to keep them happy, and the memories of the kids club, kids spa and the (quieter) pools will be enough to ensure that they will always give it 10/10. They may well win their battle to get us to go back there next year, although the Iberostar had way better food and drinks and an al fresco eating area. (and not so many tattoos and BooBoos!)

A big BIG THANK YOU, to Dalia and Marcello in the Japanese Restaurant, to Kathleen and Mr Corona at the excursion desk, Sergio and Jose Poot. Thank you to the administration staff who gave us the room we longed for. Thank you to all the front desk staff who are just fabulous and helpful and cheerful and a joy to talk to. All staff, in general, were ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!…..and hello to Jason Issacs!

Room Tip: Higher rooms, away from the lobby, are less noisy. Bring a plug socket adapter that converts one out...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Richard,
We would like to thank you for the time taken to write your review, we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve. We really appreciate your review and scores.
Thank you very much for recommending Barcelo Maya Tropical.
We look forward to host you.
Best Regards.

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!