“Second Time Here” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Tropical

You added Barcelo Maya Tropical to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Tropical
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Federal Chetumal - Puerto Juarez, Km 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% discount
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fort McMurray, Canada
“Second Time Here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at this resort Feb 14 - 28th. We had previously stayed at the Barcelo Beach section many years ago and have traveled to the Riviera Maya many times.

The grounds were more beautiful than I remembered. There is a hard working team of gardeners tending to the beautifully manicured property. There are so many choices of things to do at the Barcelo; mini golf, chess basketball, tennis pool arobics, dance lessons, pottery painting, scuba diving, snorkeling, dance lessons...........and more.

Check in went smoothly and I found that all my room requests were met. We made our a la carte reservations immediately after checking in. We did not experience any difficulty making our reservations at a time that was suitable for us. I did hear that some larger groups had more limited choices.

The food was very good. The buffet had a great variety of well prepared food. I noticed lots of safe food practices; hairnets, gloves worn by cold food handlers, and trays low on food were replaced not refilled. The friendly staff at the buffet takes your order as soon as possible. You will not see the staff standing around talking to each other as they are actively focused on clearing tables and serving customers, We also enjoyed the a la carte restaurants. Our favorites were the Japanese and Steakhouse.

Love the large beach at the Barcelo. For us there was just the right combination of rock and sand. We are avid snorkelers and there is lots to see in front of the Palace section or off the pier. My husband used the dive shop and found the staff friendly and knowledgeable. We did take the snorkling tour available through the dive shop. The pools at the resort are large, clean and refreshing.

The location of this resort is close to cenotes and lagoons to visit. If you walk across the highway there are several cenotes you can visit. We spent one afternoon at snorkeling at Cristalino cenote. It cost 80 pesos per adult and is a gorgeous natural setting. We also took a cab to Yal ku lagoon for snorkeling. It was only $12 USD if you had your own gear. You can also snorkel off Akumal beach with the turtles.
We did visit Chinchin itza for the second time. While the ruins are amazing I was shocked at the amount of vendors lining every pathway through out the property. They were constantly calling out to you to buy their wares. This truly cheapened the whole experience and we would never return.

We will return to the Barcelo Maya Tropical again. The only complaint I have is that the washrooms off the pool should be tended to more frequently. Overall the service, friendliness and cleanliness makes this resort a top choice. Special thanks to the housekeeping lady who took care of our room 7679.

Room Tip: Because everyone has different ideas of what a great room is be sure to list your requests when book...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Polish first
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This time we stayed at the medium level hotel of the Barcelo hotels. Not much different.
We asked for a room change upon arrival because my travel companion was disabled.
Our new room was on the first floor, but we had horrible shower noises the first night from 11:00 pm to 11:30 pm....it woke us up. Our clock radio was "psycho" and we had the maintenance team fix it.
Other than that, our stay was great. Food passable, but no Coke Zero (has lower sodium and lower caffeine, as well as low calorie). I also suggested that they need to get a coffee bar--iced decaf mocha latte would be nice.

Room Tip: If you have trouble walking, ask for a room closer to: food, bar, pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from March 2-March 8th 2013. This was our first trip to a Barcelo resort as well as the Riviera Maya. The resort as a whole was lovely. The grounds were beautifully kept, the staff were attentive, and the rooms were clean. I would definetly reccomend this resort.

Pros:
Buffets were great. We particularly enjoyed breakfast. Everything was well stocked and fresh. Very good food compared to other carribean resorts we have stayed at

Even though the resort is huge and there are a lot of people, we never really waited long for anything. Bars were well staffed and there are many places to choose from. We enjoyed the tequila bar in the tropical lobby and the lobby bar in Colonial.

Lots of activities during the day! We played tennis, kayaked, and snorkled. As a runner, I loved all the paths that lead in an out of different resorts.

Beaches and pool were beautiful. Although we did have to get out early to reserve beach chairs, it wasn't anything you don't see at other places.

The specialty resturants were nice. We loved the hibachi and the steakhouse. The Italian resturant was our least favorite. We paid $15 extra per person one night and ate at the Brazilian resturant on the Palace side. It was our favorite, so worth the money!

Cons:

We stayed 6 nights and were only given 3 vouchers for dinner at the specialty resturants. So we were expected to eat at the buffet for dinner half of the nights. This is why we choose to pay extra to eat at the Palace becuase the buffets get old!

Upon arrival we were asked if we would like to upgrade our room to one of the suites. There really are no ocean front rooms at Barcelo, just ocean view. We declined the upgrade even though it was discounted. They put up a pretty hard sell. It was kind of annoying after a long day of travel to arrive at the reception and given attitude and pressure to pay more. Although the upgrade included free Wi-Fi and upgraded booze, it wasn't worth it to us.

We enjoyed our time there very much and had a wonderful and relaxing vacation. We took a day trip to Tulum which was very cool. Bring lots of $1's, a few tips go a long way for better service!

Have fun!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dawson Creek, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was our first trip to a Barcelo's Resort.On arrival we were upgraded to a Suite and asked if we did not like it to let them know,it was beyond what we expected!Sea food restaraunt in the Caledonia Resort was great along with incredible service.All staff members very friendly and made you feel like they were very interested in were we came from and how we lived.Very close to Playo so Cab rides were easy and cheap for a day trip of shopping.All facilities extremly clean and cannot say enough about the friendly and proffesional staff.Highly reccomend for a family or even a couples getaway.

Room Tip: Bottom floor rooms facing beach and pool give you sliding door access to grounds.3rd.floor suite has...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I and three adult children all had a great time. The resort was good - very large. The food was quite good - better than other Mexican resorts I have been to. The Japanese a la carte was especially good and quite entertaining. We saw one show in the evening and it was quite good - they put a lot of effort into it (great costumes) and they are very talented.

One interesting thing was the service at the buffets and bars particularly. We have been in Mexico several times and this was the first time that I felt they were just "doing their job". Other places, they spent a lot of time getting to know us and joking with us, etc. We would even take their pictures before leaving so we could remember them. At this resort, maybe because it was so big, I didn't really get to know any of them and they didn't really make any effort to get to know us. Most were friendly but it wasn't very personal. And we are generous tippers. However, at the bar on one occasion, the bartender was kind of rude - when my daughter went to get some drinks (she asked for one and then changed it to two drinks), the bartender said "seriously?!?!" The service at the a la carte restaurants, although, was very good as was the front desk service.

We were down at the pool by 7:30am to get the chairs we wanted. Never had an issue. The beach is OK - the sand close to the water was nice, but further back, closer to the resort, the sand was thin and we seemed to be walking on what felt like concrete. I recommend water shoes.

The rooms were very nice, clean and comfortable with a nice sized balcony with two chairs and a table. The beds and pillows were hard but we found it OK.

Stay away from the black henna tattoo. I got one on my ankle and the day after it got very red and super itchy. When I got back home I researched it and learned that there is a chemical in the ink that speeds up the drying time and causes severe skin reactions for some people. I guess I am one of those people - it looks like it will leave a permanent scar. I didn't know anything about black hennas. Lesson learned.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The Barcelo Maya Tropical is part of a sprawling 5 hotel complex about 15 miles south of Playa del Carmen (1.3 hours from airport depending on traffic and other hotel transport pickups and drop offs). It has about 1/2 mile of gorgeous beachfront in the shape of two bites. There is a concrete wharf mid way down the beach that caters to scuba excursion boats and snorkelers. There are six theme restaurants: Spanish. Mexican, Italian, steak, Mediterranean, and Japanese. There are three lobbies for the hotels, a disco, and 2 large covered theaters and a convention center. There are 8 tennis courts, miniature golf, pitch and putt golf, one xbox360 and one ps3 console.
There are 5 buffet dining rooms and at least 3 pool side grill buffets. There are shuttles that run all day to move you around if you can't walk it all or have small kids. There is also a spa for adults and another for kids! This was our first stay at Barcelo (via Travelocity). 2 years previously we stayed at the Wyndham in Playa Del Carmen. This resort is of course all inclusive.
So here is my review: this is a beautiful location. Wonderful beachfront. Nice pools. Mini water park for little kids. Lots of functioning activities included e.g. snorkeling (requires credit card deposit receipt for fins/mask. Free for first hour and then $ per hour after), small Hobie cat sailing (free but you must reserve for lesson and for your sailing time and the wind cannot be blowing too hard. Check at the desk near the wharf), kayaking (1 and 2 person- reserve at same desk as above), tennis (rackets and balls provided; you may want to reserve- we never did and still got one of the last 2 courts. If you play after dark I think you need to pay $12/hr for the lights), pitch and putt (9 irons and putters provided; 4 holes about 50 yards from raised chipping matts and 2 practice chipping nets. this is quite fun for novice golfers- just take care to pay attention so you are not hit and vice versa as I saw this happen to some Quebecers!), mini-golf (there can be a wait for putters when it is busy; the holes are not very imaginative but it is a decent 18 hole course surrounded by lots of shade and it is illuminated at night and there are some parakeets and a parrot in a cage nearby to converse with while you wait!).
The snorkeling is good right off the pier! There is brain and other types of coral and many species of fish but not in huge numbers. If someone throws fish food off the pier you will be surrounded by mid-sized fish you can touch!
The staff are all very nice. Even the gardeners will say 'Hola' to you and you should return the favor. The concierges were quick to make our restaurant reservations when we first checked in. You must do this too to ensure decent times and availability. I need to point out here that at no time during our stay were we pitched a time-share by anyone in the hotel. I really appreciated this (at the Wyndham in 2011 we were hit by the concierge immediately). Our rooms were clean and included terry cloth robes and slippers (never touched them), fridge with water, sodas, and cans of Corona beer (if you ask for fridge refill it will cost a service charge so let housekeeping refresh it on their schedule), CRT TV (many channels had American movies/shows with Spanish subtitles). The beds were doubles, not queens, quite firm, the pillows small and like concrete (but I still slept well but my wife complained a little). A small balcony had 2 plastic chairs and a table and a pullout drying stand. There was no view of the beach from our balcony but I doubt anyone else had one except maybe the rooms closest to the pools.
There is also a regulation size soccer field where on 3 days a week at 5 pm you can play pickup games. We saw a Swiss team practicing there all week.
The food was good and plentiful at the buffets. Each night was a slightly different theme but all meals had some constant staples and the poolside grills were consistent. Breakfasts had great selections of cut and uncut fruits some of which I had never seen before! There were omelet and fried egg lines. My favorite were the fresh churros and donuts fried right in front of you. Forget Costco churros; these were really good! Dining room staff were helpful and friendly; they will fetch espresso drinks for you or you can stand and wait for them at the counter. They also will make fresh fruit smoothies! There are also automated cafe machines which aren't too bad if they are filled with the required ingredients. There are Mexican foods at all meals. My son had a hamburger at the grill one day and never had another but most of the other meats were good. There is always fresh lettuce and salad fixings at almost every meal. The restaurants are all at least 3 courses; when you reserve for Kyoto make sure you request to be seated at the grill so you can watch the cooking show which is fun! The Capri had good pastas and appetizers. The Santa Fe mixed grill entree was way too much meat for me. All of our meals at the restaurants were very good/excellent. The Mariachi Grill restaurant is one of the pool grills reconfigured for dinner and it is the closest to the beach with open air sides. We saw a Mariachi troupe at that restaurant one night but they did not come on our visit.
As with any AI resort there is another factor in the quality of your stay and that is the other guests. You should just be warned that there will be people who like to drink excessively by the pool bar, swear and act obnoxiously. That's their problem. The solution is to just move elsewhere; there are so many lounge chairs both on the beach, near the pools and under shade awnings but you better 'reserve' your chairs with towels or clothing by 7 am or earlier or they WILL ALL BE TAKEN!
The nightly shows start around 9:30 but sometimes there were pre-shows not well advertised. When the shows are accompanied by live music it is excellent. Drums, bass, guitar, keyboards, sax, and trumpet(s)! They were awesome. The vocalists were also very good. One night was karaoke (huge catalog!). Another was a small, low tech circus that was really fun to watch. A couple of nights the shows were not interesting to us. The shows all last about a hour and their are 2 bars at each theater and plenty of comfortable seating.
If you want to go to Playa Del Carmen just walk out the front gate to the highway and look for any small white bus called Collectivos. $25-30 pesos per person one way drops you at 15th ave and 2nd st 3 blocks from the southern end of 5th ave- the shopping street. Return to 15th and 2nd to catch same ride home. Always negotiate the price before you get in. A sign at the Collectivos stand says 30 pesos to the Barcelo. You can use US dollars but please get that price first and let them be lenient in the exchange rate or just get some pesos! Taxis are very expensive!

There are many excursions to entice you while on the Riv. Maya. We chose Mayan Adventures' Cenote dive, zip lining and rappel. The appeal was the lower price, lunch included, half day, not AI, non alcoholic, and a more natural setting. See my separate review for that.
We also used Olympus for the transports to and from the hotel. Yair, their friendly and knowledgeable agent, was quite helpful. It's a good idea to use these agents for all your questions.
The activities at the Barcelo were standard. Pool side dancing, vball tourney, darts tourney, Spanish lessons, dance lessons, etc. The staff were cute, out-going and energetic.

We enjoyed our time at the Barcelo. My only complaint was that in the early morning there was no place on the beach where you could grab an espresso drink, sit down and read a magazine while the hotel wakes up around you. Coffee was available only from the buffet area (7 am earliest) and it is a long walk to the beach and no tables to sit at. I highly recommend this resort to families of all ages and all couples!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Brandon, South Dakota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just got back from our first trip to this resort. Overall it was a great experience for the cost. The entire trip was run exceptionally well, seemed like everything was on time from our dinner reservations to the shuttles. The bartenders and waiters were always friendly but at times were a little overwhelmed so drink service took a little longer than desired. We didn't bring our kids with but after visiting on this trip we would definitely bring them with on our next visit, this is a very family friendly resort. Make sure to make your dinner reservations as soon as possible. If you have to pick which restaurant to visit, make sure to check out the Hibachi restaurant, this was by far our best dinner experience. Thank you Barcelo and Delta Vacations for a wonderful trip!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!