“Had a great time but stay away from the black henna tattoo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Tropical

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Tropical to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Tropical
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Federal Chetumal - Puerto Juarez, Km 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Winnipeg, Canada
“Had a great time but stay away from the black henna tattoo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I and three adult children all had a great time. The resort was good - very large. The food was quite good - better than other Mexican resorts I have been to. The Japanese a la carte was especially good and quite entertaining. We saw one show in the evening and it was quite good - they put a lot of effort into it (great costumes) and they are very talented.

One interesting thing was the service at the buffets and bars particularly. We have been in Mexico several times and this was the first time that I felt they were just "doing their job". Other places, they spent a lot of time getting to know us and joking with us, etc. We would even take their pictures before leaving so we could remember them. At this resort, maybe because it was so big, I didn't really get to know any of them and they didn't really make any effort to get to know us. Most were friendly but it wasn't very personal. And we are generous tippers. However, at the bar on one occasion, the bartender was kind of rude - when my daughter went to get some drinks (she asked for one and then changed it to two drinks), the bartender said "seriously?!?!" The service at the a la carte restaurants, although, was very good as was the front desk service.

We were down at the pool by 7:30am to get the chairs we wanted. Never had an issue. The beach is OK - the sand close to the water was nice, but further back, closer to the resort, the sand was thin and we seemed to be walking on what felt like concrete. I recommend water shoes.

The rooms were very nice, clean and comfortable with a nice sized balcony with two chairs and a table. The beds and pillows were hard but we found it OK.

Stay away from the black henna tattoo. I got one on my ankle and the day after it got very red and super itchy. When I got back home I researched it and learned that there is a chemical in the ink that speeds up the drying time and causes severe skin reactions for some people. I guess I am one of those people - it looks like it will leave a permanent scar. I didn't know anything about black hennas. Lesson learned.

1,673 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Polish first
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The Barcelo Maya Tropical is part of a sprawling 5 hotel complex about 15 miles south of Playa del Carmen (1.3 hours from airport depending on traffic and other hotel transport pickups and drop offs). It has about 1/2 mile of gorgeous beachfront in the shape of two bites. There is a concrete wharf mid way down the beach that caters to scuba excursion boats and snorkelers. There are six theme restaurants: Spanish. Mexican, Italian, steak, Mediterranean, and Japanese. There are three lobbies for the hotels, a disco, and 2 large covered theaters and a convention center. There are 8 tennis courts, miniature golf, pitch and putt golf, one xbox360 and one ps3 console.
There are 5 buffet dining rooms and at least 3 pool side grill buffets. There are shuttles that run all day to move you around if you can't walk it all or have small kids. There is also a spa for adults and another for kids! This was our first stay at Barcelo (via Travelocity). 2 years previously we stayed at the Wyndham in Playa Del Carmen. This resort is of course all inclusive.
So here is my review: this is a beautiful location. Wonderful beachfront. Nice pools. Mini water park for little kids. Lots of functioning activities included e.g. snorkeling (requires credit card deposit receipt for fins/mask. Free for first hour and then $ per hour after), small Hobie cat sailing (free but you must reserve for lesson and for your sailing time and the wind cannot be blowing too hard. Check at the desk near the wharf), kayaking (1 and 2 person- reserve at same desk as above), tennis (rackets and balls provided; you may want to reserve- we never did and still got one of the last 2 courts. If you play after dark I think you need to pay $12/hr for the lights), pitch and putt (9 irons and putters provided; 4 holes about 50 yards from raised chipping matts and 2 practice chipping nets. this is quite fun for novice golfers- just take care to pay attention so you are not hit and vice versa as I saw this happen to some Quebecers!), mini-golf (there can be a wait for putters when it is busy; the holes are not very imaginative but it is a decent 18 hole course surrounded by lots of shade and it is illuminated at night and there are some parakeets and a parrot in a cage nearby to converse with while you wait!).
The snorkeling is good right off the pier! There is brain and other types of coral and many species of fish but not in huge numbers. If someone throws fish food off the pier you will be surrounded by mid-sized fish you can touch!
The staff are all very nice. Even the gardeners will say 'Hola' to you and you should return the favor. The concierges were quick to make our restaurant reservations when we first checked in. You must do this too to ensure decent times and availability. I need to point out here that at no time during our stay were we pitched a time-share by anyone in the hotel. I really appreciated this (at the Wyndham in 2011 we were hit by the concierge immediately). Our rooms were clean and included terry cloth robes and slippers (never touched them), fridge with water, sodas, and cans of Corona beer (if you ask for fridge refill it will cost a service charge so let housekeeping refresh it on their schedule), CRT TV (many channels had American movies/shows with Spanish subtitles). The beds were doubles, not queens, quite firm, the pillows small and like concrete (but I still slept well but my wife complained a little). A small balcony had 2 plastic chairs and a table and a pullout drying stand. There was no view of the beach from our balcony but I doubt anyone else had one except maybe the rooms closest to the pools.
There is also a regulation size soccer field where on 3 days a week at 5 pm you can play pickup games. We saw a Swiss team practicing there all week.
The food was good and plentiful at the buffets. Each night was a slightly different theme but all meals had some constant staples and the poolside grills were consistent. Breakfasts had great selections of cut and uncut fruits some of which I had never seen before! There were omelet and fried egg lines. My favorite were the fresh churros and donuts fried right in front of you. Forget Costco churros; these were really good! Dining room staff were helpful and friendly; they will fetch espresso drinks for you or you can stand and wait for them at the counter. They also will make fresh fruit smoothies! There are also automated cafe machines which aren't too bad if they are filled with the required ingredients. There are Mexican foods at all meals. My son had a hamburger at the grill one day and never had another but most of the other meats were good. There is always fresh lettuce and salad fixings at almost every meal. The restaurants are all at least 3 courses; when you reserve for Kyoto make sure you request to be seated at the grill so you can watch the cooking show which is fun! The Capri had good pastas and appetizers. The Santa Fe mixed grill entree was way too much meat for me. All of our meals at the restaurants were very good/excellent. The Mariachi Grill restaurant is one of the pool grills reconfigured for dinner and it is the closest to the beach with open air sides. We saw a Mariachi troupe at that restaurant one night but they did not come on our visit.
As with any AI resort there is another factor in the quality of your stay and that is the other guests. You should just be warned that there will be people who like to drink excessively by the pool bar, swear and act obnoxiously. That's their problem. The solution is to just move elsewhere; there are so many lounge chairs both on the beach, near the pools and under shade awnings but you better 'reserve' your chairs with towels or clothing by 7 am or earlier or they WILL ALL BE TAKEN!
The nightly shows start around 9:30 but sometimes there were pre-shows not well advertised. When the shows are accompanied by live music it is excellent. Drums, bass, guitar, keyboards, sax, and trumpet(s)! They were awesome. The vocalists were also very good. One night was karaoke (huge catalog!). Another was a small, low tech circus that was really fun to watch. A couple of nights the shows were not interesting to us. The shows all last about a hour and their are 2 bars at each theater and plenty of comfortable seating.
If you want to go to Playa Del Carmen just walk out the front gate to the highway and look for any small white bus called Collectivos. $25-30 pesos per person one way drops you at 15th ave and 2nd st 3 blocks from the southern end of 5th ave- the shopping street. Return to 15th and 2nd to catch same ride home. Always negotiate the price before you get in. A sign at the Collectivos stand says 30 pesos to the Barcelo. You can use US dollars but please get that price first and let them be lenient in the exchange rate or just get some pesos! Taxis are very expensive!

There are many excursions to entice you while on the Riv. Maya. We chose Mayan Adventures' Cenote dive, zip lining and rappel. The appeal was the lower price, lunch included, half day, not AI, non alcoholic, and a more natural setting. See my separate review for that.
We also used Olympus for the transports to and from the hotel. Yair, their friendly and knowledgeable agent, was quite helpful. It's a good idea to use these agents for all your questions.
The activities at the Barcelo were standard. Pool side dancing, vball tourney, darts tourney, Spanish lessons, dance lessons, etc. The staff were cute, out-going and energetic.

We enjoyed our time at the Barcelo. My only complaint was that in the early morning there was no place on the beach where you could grab an espresso drink, sit down and read a magazine while the hotel wakes up around you. Coffee was available only from the buffet area (7 am earliest) and it is a long walk to the beach and no tables to sit at. I highly recommend this resort to families of all ages and all couples!

Brandon, South Dakota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just got back from our first trip to this resort. Overall it was a great experience for the cost. The entire trip was run exceptionally well, seemed like everything was on time from our dinner reservations to the shuttles. The bartenders and waiters were always friendly but at times were a little overwhelmed so drink service took a little longer than desired. We didn't bring our kids with but after visiting on this trip we would definitely bring them with on our next visit, this is a very family friendly resort. Make sure to make your dinner reservations as soon as possible. If you have to pick which restaurant to visit, make sure to check out the Hibachi restaurant, this was by far our best dinner experience. Thank you Barcelo and Delta Vacations for a wonderful trip!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fargo, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Our daughter, husband and I stayed Feb 23-Mar 2nd. We had an experience at check in and it sort of continued...for 3 of us they gave us a king size bed and a couch that they said was a sofa bed-it wasn't, it was a foam couch that you take the pillows off the back-sagging in the middle. This room had a headboard fall off on us, the shower soap dispensers did not dispense, you had to pull them off the wall and pour out the top. We open the area to access the TV and one of the cabinet doors fell off. It is just an older hotel much in need of improvements and updates. Last year we went to Puerto Vallarta and had an amazing hotel but I think even having not had that great experience I still would look at this place as just so-so! The 2nd day we were moved to a room that had 2 double beds, I was hoping the soap dispensers would work in this new room but they did not, had to do the same routine. Beds and pillows very hard. The outlet in our room looked like it was pulling off the wall in the bathroom, I didn't know if I should be afraid to use it or not. AND there is ONE outlet with ONE plug in??? Any others in the bed area were very hard to find. The hair dryer is kind of a joke too! We were able to make decent reservation times but I wouldn't worry about getting in the restaurants to eat, none of them were anything special, we like the buffet food just as well. We felst very rushed in the restaurants, you could tell they definitely wanted you in and OUT! The staff were very nice, no complaints there! We enjoyed most of the shows that ran from 930-1030 each night, the Michael Jackson was the best! The pools were very cold, last year the pools were so warm in PV so I was looking forward to enjoying the water more. We had 2 people in our party get blisters on there feet from walking, we were in the last room farthest from the beach and I bet it took us 10 minutes just to walk to the beach! This complex is huge, I am a person who is organized and like to know where I'm at at all times but it's impossible here with all the walkways, different buildings! The first day my hubby and I went for a walk and ended up who knows where and workers we asked weren't sure how to get us back from whence we came?? Funny now but I was very frustrated at the time. So, if you can, try someplace else that's a bit more updated and smaller scale, unless you like LARGE. Oh, our balcony view was disappointing too as all you could see was a big palm tree!

Anyway, if it's not too late, change your reservations to some place else!

Loon Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We arrived at the property at about 6pm. Check in was fast and pretty painless. We stayed in a standard room with Kingsize bed which we requested. We wanted 2nd or 3rd floor but was given ground level. Understanding they didn't have any other options it wasn't a big deal and we moved on to start our vacation. The bellhop took us and our bags to our room. The room itself was decent with a kingsize bed, a desk, a couch, a mini-fridge, coffee maker and shower with tub. Then we realized there were no drawers for clothing storage. We did find two drawers under the TV but these were useless as every time you opened the doors on the entertainment stand the tv would pop out and block access to the lone 2 drawers. We had a quick shower and then headed to the buffet. There was always lots of hot water for showers and didnt seem to matter what time of day. Sleep quality was terrible the bed was like concrete and the pillows were made for smurfs, (very tiny). After our first week we got new pillows which were of a normal size but I had to throw one in the corner due to it smelling of vomit. The room was dirty and any time cleaning service went through it was a very fast clean. Swept main areas and made the bed, that was it. When we arrived there was spilled coffee on the floor near the table. That coffee stayed for the entire 2 weeks we were there. Corners were filled with sand and grime. Many days our empty water and soda bottles weren't even taken away. Bugs were in the room all the time. Other resorts we stayed at fumigated the room once per week to keep bugs under control, but not here. The ceiling fan only worked if you stood on the bed and give it a boost and the screen door had a large rip in it. The tv was a tube type tv that had very touchy volume controls and tended to get a band of static with the static noise to accompany it every 5 minutes or so leaving it nearly useless. Our room was across the walkway from the ampi-theatre. The theatre shows would not end till 11pm and were extremely loud. Not sure why it needed to be so loud.

The buffet was really hit and miss during our 2 weeks there. Food was consistent and was buffet food, never great but never terrible either. Service was normally not very good, several times we were not provided with spoons? Several times during our two weeks we were never provided with drinks from our server. About 80% of the servers we encountered were either stale with a unhappy attitude or laughing and joking at the guests while serving them. Tipping didn't change or improve the service at all. Getting hot coffee was tough, more often than not it was luke warm at best.

When it came to the bars we were unable to find a good drink during our stay. We were staying in what is billed as a tropical paradise but were unable to get drinks with real fruit juice in them, it was always the horribly sweet bar mix. The alcohol in the drinks was near to non-existent. We witnessed several guests who had purchased their own bottles of liquor and carried them to the beach to top off the drinks they were getting from the bar. The bartenders were rude and slow but in their defense the resort is severely under staffed. Normally you waited 10 minutes to get a drink unless you stooped to several guests levels and just pushed inline.

The grounds and the beaches were beautiful with lots of area for walking. The beaches were a bit un-kept though. In our two week stay I only seen them sift/clean the sand once. Beach chairs were in need of replacement with most of them sagging and several of them broken. The grounds were home to several animals which made for some good nature walks. The size of this resort is incredible, much larger than any we've stayed at before. We found it too large for our tastes. Anywhere you wanted to go you had a good walk to get there. The Tropical was considered an upgrade from the Beach/Caribe section because you would be able to use the buffets/bars of both. We just never did it was just to far of a walk between to make it sensible. There is shopping available on the resort with several shops selling clothing, gifts, jewelry etc. Problem is half of the shops you couldn't use cash at, purchases were just billed to your room and the other have you paid cash at. This made things a bit more confusing when settling up your account at the end of the stay trying to remember what you paid cash for and what you didn't. Further more the prices on the resort were ridiculous. Most things were double the price of Playa Del Carmen and 3 times the price of neighboring Puerto Aventuras and Akumal.

We were given $3000 dollars worth of resort coupons when we checked. Sounds great except I would estimate you would have to spend around $6000 to take advantage of these coupons. We decided to use the spa for a couples massage and use the $100 off coupon which left the total at $153. The massage was mediocre at best. The next day while in Play Del Carmen we were able to get massages on the beach which were much better massages for just $20 each.

We purchased wi-fi service a week at a time which cost $50. Coverage was pretty spotty. In our room we had a very weak signal and sometimes would have to move about the room to find signal.

The highlight of the resort for us was that we were able to snorkel onsite and see turtles, stingrays and a variety of fish. The coral here is in terrible shape though. Probably a result of over use by inexperienced snorkelers. It was a bit tough finding good swimming areas on the beach as rocks are hidden beneath the water in many places and the places without rocks were very crowded.

Location was a plus for us because it gave close easy access to Puerto Aventuras, Akumal and Playa Del Carmen. It also made Coba and Tulum an easy day trip.

To sum it up, we would never stay here again, we would probably never stay at any Barcelo Resort again and we definiatly would not reccomend this resort to our friends.
It was an all-inclusive resort that seemed like they were always trying to get another dollar out of you all the while providing you no service. You even had to pay if wanted to use the luggage scale in the lobby.

Room Tip: Stay as far as you can away from the theaters, they are extremely loud and don't shut down till...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort McMurray, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Once again had a great time at the Barcelo...Stayed in the Tropical rather than the Colonial this time, and although just as nice, because we travel with a young child, I think I would choose the Colonial if we go again...
Every thing was great, but the pool was very cold this time around...something we never experienced in our previous 2 times here, so a little disappointing.
The grounds are beautiful, and the staff are so friendly and happy.

My little girl was old enough to go to the kids club this year, and loved it!! They are soo great with the kids!

The food at the Japanese restaurant was fantastic.

If you are traveling with yound kids, this place is amazing...Only ever good experiences!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed 7 nights at the Barcelo Maya Tropical from Feb 26 to March 5, 2013. This is our first time back since a weeks stay in Feb 2010. We also had two 1-week stays there in years prior to that. Here's our take on various aspects of the current resort operation:

Rooms: We agree that rooms are beginning to look a bit beat up, but they are still generally clean and satisfactory. We were given a room on the 2nd flood of Veracruz toward the end of building farthest away from the beach. Our room was very quiet, which was great. We could hear none of the nightly noise that other reviewers complain about as originating from the theater. Number of replacement towels, washcloths, and bathmats was a bit irregular from day to day, which seemed a bit wierd.

Beach and Grounds: We think these are the high points of this resort. If you enjoy long walks on the beach the Barcelo complex is the place to be. The beach is wide, long and beautiful. Despite resort occupancy near 90% during our stay there were always beach lounge chairs to be found. The grounds are impeccably kept.

Staff: Resort staff are generally quite friendly, most notably the housekeeping, cafeteria, and grounds folks. Pool bars do seem to be a bit understaffed, making wait time for drinks a bit long during times of peak demand (but what's the hurry--you're on vacation, right?).

Food and Dining: Cafeteria fare is okay, but seems to have degraded a bit in quality since our earlier visits. Don't expect to find king crab or lobster in the cafeteria on seafood night.
Upon arrival, we were given vouchers for four dinners at specialty restaurants. We made our reservations within a few hours of arrival on day 1 and had no problem getting reasonable (to us meaning early like 5:30 to 6:30pm) dining hours. We used 3 of the 4 vouchers, dining at the steakhouse, Italian and Japanese Restaurants. We liked the Japanese the best, but the other two were also nice.

Clientele: The resort appears to be attracting a lot of families with small children, a notable change from what we experienced in our previous stays. So this resort may not be the most desirable from the standpoint of couples looking for a romantic atmosphere. But it is fine for grandparently types like my wife and I.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Veracruz building, toward the end of the building away from the beach are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!