“Not that great!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Tropical

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Tropical to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Tropical
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Federal Chetumal - Puerto Juarez, Km 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Fargo, North Dakota
“Not that great!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Our daughter, husband and I stayed Feb 23-Mar 2nd. We had an experience at check in and it sort of continued...for 3 of us they gave us a king size bed and a couch that they said was a sofa bed-it wasn't, it was a foam couch that you take the pillows off the back-sagging in the middle. This room had a headboard fall off on us, the shower soap dispensers did not dispense, you had to pull them off the wall and pour out the top. We open the area to access the TV and one of the cabinet doors fell off. It is just an older hotel much in need of improvements and updates. Last year we went to Puerto Vallarta and had an amazing hotel but I think even having not had that great experience I still would look at this place as just so-so! The 2nd day we were moved to a room that had 2 double beds, I was hoping the soap dispensers would work in this new room but they did not, had to do the same routine. Beds and pillows very hard. The outlet in our room looked like it was pulling off the wall in the bathroom, I didn't know if I should be afraid to use it or not. AND there is ONE outlet with ONE plug in??? Any others in the bed area were very hard to find. The hair dryer is kind of a joke too! We were able to make decent reservation times but I wouldn't worry about getting in the restaurants to eat, none of them were anything special, we like the buffet food just as well. We felst very rushed in the restaurants, you could tell they definitely wanted you in and OUT! The staff were very nice, no complaints there! We enjoyed most of the shows that ran from 930-1030 each night, the Michael Jackson was the best! The pools were very cold, last year the pools were so warm in PV so I was looking forward to enjoying the water more. We had 2 people in our party get blisters on there feet from walking, we were in the last room farthest from the beach and I bet it took us 10 minutes just to walk to the beach! This complex is huge, I am a person who is organized and like to know where I'm at at all times but it's impossible here with all the walkways, different buildings! The first day my hubby and I went for a walk and ended up who knows where and workers we asked weren't sure how to get us back from whence we came?? Funny now but I was very frustrated at the time. So, if you can, try someplace else that's a bit more updated and smaller scale, unless you like LARGE. Oh, our balcony view was disappointing too as all you could see was a big palm tree!

Anyway, if it's not too late, change your reservations to some place else!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Polish first
Loon Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We arrived at the property at about 6pm. Check in was fast and pretty painless. We stayed in a standard room with Kingsize bed which we requested. We wanted 2nd or 3rd floor but was given ground level. Understanding they didn't have any other options it wasn't a big deal and we moved on to start our vacation. The bellhop took us and our bags to our room. The room itself was decent with a kingsize bed, a desk, a couch, a mini-fridge, coffee maker and shower with tub. Then we realized there were no drawers for clothing storage. We did find two drawers under the TV but these were useless as every time you opened the doors on the entertainment stand the tv would pop out and block access to the lone 2 drawers. We had a quick shower and then headed to the buffet. There was always lots of hot water for showers and didnt seem to matter what time of day. Sleep quality was terrible the bed was like concrete and the pillows were made for smurfs, (very tiny). After our first week we got new pillows which were of a normal size but I had to throw one in the corner due to it smelling of vomit. The room was dirty and any time cleaning service went through it was a very fast clean. Swept main areas and made the bed, that was it. When we arrived there was spilled coffee on the floor near the table. That coffee stayed for the entire 2 weeks we were there. Corners were filled with sand and grime. Many days our empty water and soda bottles weren't even taken away. Bugs were in the room all the time. Other resorts we stayed at fumigated the room once per week to keep bugs under control, but not here. The ceiling fan only worked if you stood on the bed and give it a boost and the screen door had a large rip in it. The tv was a tube type tv that had very touchy volume controls and tended to get a band of static with the static noise to accompany it every 5 minutes or so leaving it nearly useless. Our room was across the walkway from the ampi-theatre. The theatre shows would not end till 11pm and were extremely loud. Not sure why it needed to be so loud.

The buffet was really hit and miss during our 2 weeks there. Food was consistent and was buffet food, never great but never terrible either. Service was normally not very good, several times we were not provided with spoons? Several times during our two weeks we were never provided with drinks from our server. About 80% of the servers we encountered were either stale with a unhappy attitude or laughing and joking at the guests while serving them. Tipping didn't change or improve the service at all. Getting hot coffee was tough, more often than not it was luke warm at best.

When it came to the bars we were unable to find a good drink during our stay. We were staying in what is billed as a tropical paradise but were unable to get drinks with real fruit juice in them, it was always the horribly sweet bar mix. The alcohol in the drinks was near to non-existent. We witnessed several guests who had purchased their own bottles of liquor and carried them to the beach to top off the drinks they were getting from the bar. The bartenders were rude and slow but in their defense the resort is severely under staffed. Normally you waited 10 minutes to get a drink unless you stooped to several guests levels and just pushed inline.

The grounds and the beaches were beautiful with lots of area for walking. The beaches were a bit un-kept though. In our two week stay I only seen them sift/clean the sand once. Beach chairs were in need of replacement with most of them sagging and several of them broken. The grounds were home to several animals which made for some good nature walks. The size of this resort is incredible, much larger than any we've stayed at before. We found it too large for our tastes. Anywhere you wanted to go you had a good walk to get there. The Tropical was considered an upgrade from the Beach/Caribe section because you would be able to use the buffets/bars of both. We just never did it was just to far of a walk between to make it sensible. There is shopping available on the resort with several shops selling clothing, gifts, jewelry etc. Problem is half of the shops you couldn't use cash at, purchases were just billed to your room and the other have you paid cash at. This made things a bit more confusing when settling up your account at the end of the stay trying to remember what you paid cash for and what you didn't. Further more the prices on the resort were ridiculous. Most things were double the price of Playa Del Carmen and 3 times the price of neighboring Puerto Aventuras and Akumal.

We were given $3000 dollars worth of resort coupons when we checked. Sounds great except I would estimate you would have to spend around $6000 to take advantage of these coupons. We decided to use the spa for a couples massage and use the $100 off coupon which left the total at $153. The massage was mediocre at best. The next day while in Play Del Carmen we were able to get massages on the beach which were much better massages for just $20 each.

We purchased wi-fi service a week at a time which cost $50. Coverage was pretty spotty. In our room we had a very weak signal and sometimes would have to move about the room to find signal.

The highlight of the resort for us was that we were able to snorkel onsite and see turtles, stingrays and a variety of fish. The coral here is in terrible shape though. Probably a result of over use by inexperienced snorkelers. It was a bit tough finding good swimming areas on the beach as rocks are hidden beneath the water in many places and the places without rocks were very crowded.

Location was a plus for us because it gave close easy access to Puerto Aventuras, Akumal and Playa Del Carmen. It also made Coba and Tulum an easy day trip.

To sum it up, we would never stay here again, we would probably never stay at any Barcelo Resort again and we definiatly would not reccomend this resort to our friends.
It was an all-inclusive resort that seemed like they were always trying to get another dollar out of you all the while providing you no service. You even had to pay if wanted to use the luggage scale in the lobby.

Room Tip: Stay as far as you can away from the theaters, they are extremely loud and don't shut down till...
Fort McMurray, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Once again had a great time at the Barcelo...Stayed in the Tropical rather than the Colonial this time, and although just as nice, because we travel with a young child, I think I would choose the Colonial if we go again...
Every thing was great, but the pool was very cold this time around...something we never experienced in our previous 2 times here, so a little disappointing.
The grounds are beautiful, and the staff are so friendly and happy.

My little girl was old enough to go to the kids club this year, and loved it!! They are soo great with the kids!

The food at the Japanese restaurant was fantastic.

If you are traveling with yound kids, this place is amazing...Only ever good experiences!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed 7 nights at the Barcelo Maya Tropical from Feb 26 to March 5, 2013. This is our first time back since a weeks stay in Feb 2010. We also had two 1-week stays there in years prior to that. Here's our take on various aspects of the current resort operation:

Rooms: We agree that rooms are beginning to look a bit beat up, but they are still generally clean and satisfactory. We were given a room on the 2nd flood of Veracruz toward the end of building farthest away from the beach. Our room was very quiet, which was great. We could hear none of the nightly noise that other reviewers complain about as originating from the theater. Number of replacement towels, washcloths, and bathmats was a bit irregular from day to day, which seemed a bit wierd.

Beach and Grounds: We think these are the high points of this resort. If you enjoy long walks on the beach the Barcelo complex is the place to be. The beach is wide, long and beautiful. Despite resort occupancy near 90% during our stay there were always beach lounge chairs to be found. The grounds are impeccably kept.

Staff: Resort staff are generally quite friendly, most notably the housekeeping, cafeteria, and grounds folks. Pool bars do seem to be a bit understaffed, making wait time for drinks a bit long during times of peak demand (but what's the hurry--you're on vacation, right?).

Food and Dining: Cafeteria fare is okay, but seems to have degraded a bit in quality since our earlier visits. Don't expect to find king crab or lobster in the cafeteria on seafood night.
Upon arrival, we were given vouchers for four dinners at specialty restaurants. We made our reservations within a few hours of arrival on day 1 and had no problem getting reasonable (to us meaning early like 5:30 to 6:30pm) dining hours. We used 3 of the 4 vouchers, dining at the steakhouse, Italian and Japanese Restaurants. We liked the Japanese the best, but the other two were also nice.

Clientele: The resort appears to be attracting a lot of families with small children, a notable change from what we experienced in our previous stays. So this resort may not be the most desirable from the standpoint of couples looking for a romantic atmosphere. But it is fine for grandparently types like my wife and I.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Veracruz building, toward the end of the building away from the beach are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Where should I begin... We just returned from a week at the property. We were traveling for a friends wedding.

Upon checking in and making our way up to our room we were greeted by a nice lizard in our bed! Now I know we are in a tropical environment and all but ick! That was just the first of many surprises in our room.... Stated in our travel documents it said we were suppose to have fresh fruit and tequila in our room... Well all of our friends had that in their rooms- but we had none. After a long day of travel I removed my shoes only to feel excess amounts of sand all over the floor of our room! After noticing that I figured I had better flip back the sheets to check them out... Sure enough, sand and Hair were present there too! I honestly don't think our room had been cleaned since the last person that stayed in it. Maybe just a quick tidy up! Bath towels were also stained and well worn and drain in the shower was terrible.

After making note of all these things that should be simple things to be done my husband made his way to the lobby to speak to someone to get them taken care of. They promised our room would be cleaned and fruit/tequila in there by the time we returned from dinner.... Well when we returned from dinner at 10pm... The maid was just getting there. She was friendly and was trying to get the sheets swapped and floors cleaned as fast as she could. But again they had over 2 hours to get this completed and by this time we were falling asleep out in the hall. Fruit and tequila was still not there. (finally received fruit & champagne two days after check-in)

Room overall:: Beds are as hard as concrete. Pillows are okay. Towels are stained and worn. Hairdryer looked as if it had caught on fire once before-needed replaced! Air vents looked filthy. Just plain needs a great facelift!

Buffets:: Decent service, good selection, plenty of room so never had to wait.

Restaurants:: Hostess were extremely rude! Never smiled... and I mean never. This was at all the restaurants (we didn't try the seafood one, so not sure about there). One at the steakhouse even took it to another level and rolled her eyes at someone in our group a couple times. Servers were pretty good. When we had good service we would make sure they knew by leaving a generous tip. Sometimes they would seem thankful and other times like it didn't matter.

Our favorite restaurants were the Japanese (we ate their twice) and the Mexican(Jose at the Mexican restaurant was the best server we had all week). The Steak House was okay, nothing fabulous and the Italian we could have went without!

Pool & Beach:: Pool area was kept tidy and clean. It is huge. Even though its size, I would recommend getting up and out there to get your chairs by 7:30am. It fills up fast!! I am an early riser so I never had a problem. The beach is pretty, but chairs have definitely seen there days- worn and sagging in the middle. Beach is also extremely rough on feet! Tons of broken shells and cigarette butts- ick. Never did I see anyone out there racking the sand (which at every other resort I have ever stayed at they do). Water is clear and you can do lite snorkeling right off the beach. Pool & Beach Towels are GROSS. They need to get new asap. Faded, torn, and stained.

Pool Bar:: Service is probably the worst on the entire property. None of the staff smiles. They are under staffed BIG time. I would definitely suggest they make some changes here asap. The pool bar is where people mingle to have a fun afternoon, and to me it was never fun being over there. You could stand for a good 5 minutes without being acknowledged. One day I when I went up to ask for a bottled water I was told they were OUT!!! I was asked if I'd like a glass of tap? Are you kidding me?
***Also they do not wait on you- so every time you want a drink you have to make your way to the bar to get one yourself. Not my idea of relaxing. Again I have NEVER been to a resort where there are no waiters. There is also no food service at the pool***

Lobby Bar:: Rude staff bartenders and servers. You could sit at a table for 15 minutes with an empty glass before being asked if you'd like another. We tried tipping again to improve this- didn't help. She seemed extremely ungrateful and like she hated her job.

Restrooms:: Throughout the property were not kept very tidy. The two that jump out to me are: the lobby restroom located by the bar- smelled of sewer bad. The restroom by the towel stand at the pool- smelled of sewer, wet toilet paper alllll over, disgusting! Needed to be tended to at least every other hour. I wanted to gag going in there- wear your sandals or better yet... make the trek back to your room.

Dinner Reservation System:: Where do I begin.... Never have I ever experienced something like this! Good luck trying to get reservations. My suggestion is to make all of them the day you arrive- even though that is the last thing you want to do- do it. Many times I would go try to make a reservation and I was told the earliest was 9pm... really? Well then a friend of ours who had a "gold" band would go try to make one and they would get a 7pm... Strange. When we would be at the restaurant (any of them) there were ALWAYS tables open... Liars. The system is totally out of whack and extremely unjust. Unless you want to eat buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every single day/night you are there- make your reservations asap- not kidding.

Wrist Bands:: Or should I say "status" bands! Every time you go to make a reservation, order a drink or speak to anyone- they look at you and look at your band. It is very evident too- makes you feel uncomfortable.

Wifi and Room Service:: They are available throughout the property. If you have a "Gold" band they are free if you have any other color they are extra. (at least that is how it was while we were there).

Many people in the entire group of 70+ people that traveled for this wedding experienced the same things we did. Some even reported their rooms smelling of sewer. One even had standing water in their room upon arrival... It was cleaned up and they were not given a different room.... ick.

I am sure I am not covering everything...

Overall would I stay here again? NO
Would I stay at any Barcelo property? NO

When you have a group of 70+ people travel and stay at your resort you expect great service. The service at this property overall is about a 4 out of 10 in my opinion.

Room Tip: Ask to not be close to the amphitheater... Extremely noisy at night. But good luck as trying to ma...
Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I've stayed at a lot of all inclusives before and this one was the worst. Food wasn't good, rooms are outdated with hard mattress, pillows and tube TV. Internet isn't free, decent liquor isn't included. The service isn't good...had to call front desk 3+ times to get our room cleaned by 5pm. The staff wasn't all that friendly compared to other places I've stayed. You can forget getting dinner reservations at a decent time except for the last day or 2 that you are there. Their resort credit promotions are nothing but bad coupons for shops and services. Avoid this one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We went with another couple and are now planning a return trip with all of our kids. The resort is huge however, the beach never felt packed. There are rocky sections in the beach but there are also large sections which are all soft sand and very swimmable. Massive pools and the kid section at the colonial is a 2 minute walk so the access to pools is amazing.

We enjoyed the food and heard some complaints about the warmth of some of the heavier hot foods but we stuck mainly to fresh foods or the grill stations so I never noticed. The drinks were fine (walk over to the caribe for really, really strong drinks!) and once in a while the bar got busy but never waited more than a minute or two. The kyoto restaurant is a must and the rest were fine and a nice break from the buffet.

Rooms : we didn't arrive until 11pm and our king room was gone, which was annoying, but we just stayed in the two queens, though they turned out to be 2 doubles to avoid the hassle. Do pull out the mattress cover that is inexplicably placed between the mattress and box spring. This on the top of the bed makes it much, much more comfortable. The bedding is annoying - it doesn't breath and is noisy. The beds are my only real complaint. Mini bar well stocked and clean.

The gym has 5-6 treadmills and it's not always easy to get a machine immediately. Cardio area is airconditioned and the weights are open air.

A taxi to town from the hotel is 23 usd ... however, when returning home, it's a lot cheaper because you can make a deal with taxi driver to either come back for you at a set time or grab a registered taxi and make him an offer.

I can't wait to return with our 4 kids who range from 8-16 ... i'm confident all will be satisfied.

Room Tip: vera cruz is right off the beach and far enough from the theatre to be silent.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!