“Not too bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Tropical

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Tropical to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Tropical
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Federal Chetumal - Puerto Juarez, Km 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not too bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed at this resort back in April 2012. Sorry that I'm just now getting around to writing this review.

This was for my annual birthday trip that I take to Mexico every year. I've been traveling to Mexico every year for my birthday for the past 24 years. I traveled solo again this year, and booked this resort at the last min due to trying to find someone to travel with me.

The grounds of the resort are very nice. They were very clean and you could walk for hours. Trust me, drinking all day and trying to make your way back to your room, you could get lost. I think I've done that 3 or 4 times on this trip! lol

The disco onsite was fun. I always have fun going to the disco that all resorts have. Actually, is a "must have" for me when choosing a place to stay. The service was okay, but not the best.

The food... well, it was okay. I didn't go hungry, but I didn't get knocked off my socks either! It was just ok.

The rooms were "just ok" nothing fancy... the smell was pretty bad. I'm use to going to Mexico and smelling some musty smells... however, this was the worse that I've experienced to date. I didn't let it ruin my trip though.

The service at the swim up bars wasn't the best. Actually there were a few guys there that were just downright rude! I can't remember their names, or I would post them here. Again, sorry for the late review. There was one bartender at the swim up bar at the Colonial pool that was GREAT!! She made my birthday very special! She went out of her way to serve me and my new friends. Making myself and them feel very special. I wish I could remember her name!

The beach was okay. Nothing special. The water wasn't as nice as you see in some pictures. However, it was bad either. I love the nice blue waters that you see in Cancun on the strip and down in the Playa Del Carmen area better. Again, it wasn't bad.

All in all, if you get a good deal on this place and you're not too picky.... stay here. If you don't care about rooms and food... stay here. If you're young and looking for more of a place to just rest your head and have some fun... then stay here. If you're older, looking for nicer things, better food and willing to pay a little extra to get what you want... stay someplace else!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

1,692 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Polish first
Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I know this is a little late but wanted to share my thoughts on this resort! My husband and I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Tropical May 13-19 2012! We had a fabulous time! I can't really complain at all. Everything was perfect from the check in to planning all of our 5 adventures out side of the resort.

Room: Our room was very nice, and got cleaned daily. One day we didn't close our safe (which had about $500's in it along with both of our Iphones) and the staff waited until we came back to our room to close it before they left, and nothing was missing. They did a great job of keeping the mini fridge stocked with snacks, beer, water, and some sort of hard alchol. There was also a bottle of wine wating for us in our room when we checked in!

Food: The one thing I would say was a downfall at this resort was that you can only dine at the resturants at dinner which means buffett for every other meal, which seemed to get a little old. The food was good, it's just if you ate at home at the same resutrant for 2 out of the 3 meals for six days you would just tired of the food. The resutrants were very nice and we were pleased with every meal we had and the portions were HUGE!

Service: The service was great every where we went. We did tip almost everyone that helped and I'm sure that was an incentive. I never felt that I was in need of anything because we were always getting service! Everyone was very nice, always saying hi!

Beach: They beach is very nice and had lot of chairs for everyone! The beach did have pretty sharp rocks at the bottom that could hurt your feet, my suggestion would be take water shoes or be careful! There was also this nice little pier at the end of our resort that lots of fish swam around and didn't care when people swam with them! It was frightful and awesome at the same time!

Pool: They pool was very nice! Very big where we never felt like it was too crouded. We only really hung out at the swim up bar, which got busy some times, but after you got your drink you could swim away to enjoy your drink in peace! It was always very relaxing and beautiful!

Drinks: We were on our honeymoon so we never wanted to get trashed, so we made sure that we never drank too much. I'm sure that if you kept a drink in your hand at all times that you would end up drunk. Some people say at all-inclusives that it's impossible to get drunk, which i'm sure they aren't using top shelp alcohol but it would deffinatly get the job done. I never felt the drinks were watered down. My favorite drink was the Miami Vice! DELICIOUS!

We had a great time and would go back! We are going to a diffent resort in May just because we want to experience something diffrent, but our next resort has high standards after this resort!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have been at the Bracelo resorts 4 times and 3 times at the Maya Tropical.

Checking in at the front desk was very good but it seems that they have a problem accomodating special request sent from the travel agents, as we always have a problem getting two rooms together. Not a good way to start a vacation.

The resort is set up beautifuly and each building has a guest service desk which is there for any help you may need day and night.
The buffets have a big sellection of food, lots of fruits and pasteries (love the churos). You will not go hungry, you will only get tired of eating too much.

The beach is outstanding with beautiful white sand and turquoise blue water, so clear you can see the bottom. Sometimes there are rocks brought in by the waves but they are all cleaded up quickly.You can walk to the boardwalk and see lots of fish and snorkel.

The pools are beautiful and there is an amazing play area for the children. Makes my wish a was a kid again.So much fun!!

We had a room in the Club Premium section and it was very spacious, lots of closet space and nice sitting area. I noticed that they remove all of the bed linens including blankets and bedspreads after the guests leave (everything is very clean and fresh). Beautiful bathrooms that have two showers. One thing they could do is provide some better channels on the TV. It would be nice to be able to get some news from the U.S. or Canada. We are on vacation not in isolation.

You don't see any vendors on the beach as there is a plaza just for the Barcelo Resorts if you want to shop. There are also shops in each of the Barcelo sections that you can go to but they are not cheap.

I really like that this resort has non smoking areas. Nothing worst than being in a lobby or bar and not be able to breath.

I have been to many resorts in Punta Cana, Puerto Plata and Varadero and this is my fovourite.Hopefuly I can go back next year.

Room Tip: The rooms is the Veracruz building is farthest from the theater so it's more quite. The Yucatan...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Fruitland, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Barcelo Tropical Resort is a wonderful resort!! Most people feel they need to stay at the Palace to have a good time.. not the case! affordable, friendly staff, good food, lots of drinks, enterainment is great! The Beach is beautiful and the pools are big and refreshing. No problem finding a beach chair or a lounge chair by the pool.. there are hammocks by the pool also. We went with a big party (31) and it was for our wedding. The rooms were close to one another and we had no issues with them. They have a mini fridge in room that they fill daily with corona's coke, sprite, orange drink and water. we would take a small cooler and fill it with ice and the corona's from the room and take to the beach, as the corona from the tap at the pool bar was not as cold as iced down beer! My cousin paid the maid $10 for a case of coronas every other day so we had plenty on hand throughout the day (they put 3 in your fridge daily). Many resturants to choose from.. italiian, seafood, mexican, steak and japanesse. the japanesse was my favorite! make your reservations early to get to sit at the habiachi grill.... the food at the buffet was good too. they have everything you would ever want... loved the churro's at breakfast! the grills out by the pools are good too.. would have burgers, chicken nuggets, fries, salad, nacho's, ice cream etc. we never went hungry or thirsty!!! this was our second time there, ane we would def go back!! everyone had a blast!!!

Room Tip: we liked the rooms at the bottom floor.. easily accessible...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Another Great Family Vacation

For the third year in a row I travelled to the Barcelo Maya Tropical for some family time with my sisters. We always stay in the Club Premium section and really enjoy the beautiful spacious rooms, fabulous bathrooms and fully stocked refrigerator.

The beds are rock hard but look for the topper inbetween the mattresses and ask for softer pillows and you will have a fabulous sleep.

The resort is huge and connected to several other Barcelo resorts. There is never a shortage of bars, shops and things to do. The fantastic beach, stunning blue sea and wonderful pools are so inviting and hard to leave.

The service at Barcelo is exceptional. Every morning they clean the beach and we noticed they also removed any rocks that may have been pushed to the shore to make sure visitors have a nice white sandy beach. Bars, restaurants and all areas of the resort have great service.

The people are so friendly and helpful everywhere you go.

The food compared to other resorts is fantastic. Abundunt selection of fruit and numerous dishes to choose from. I must admit after eating buffet for a week anything would begin looking tired but that is not because of the selection but rather too much of a good thing.

Some areas that need improvement are the individual restaurants. We tried most of them this year and I cannot say I would run back to any of them. Food was ok but mostly uninteresting. The most disappointing was the Japanese! Also they charge $40 for a half bottle of Sake and no single servings are available. Mexican was ok, Brazilian at the Palace was ok. Meat was nicely cooked but tasteless and restaurant was exceptionally noisy due to large groups who were inconsiderate of others making tons of noise.

The front desk/reservation system is completely incapable of honoring advance room requests. We have tried for three years through our travel agent and it has never worked. I wish Barcelo management would figure out how ridiculous this is. Also the new coupons they give you when you check in are useless as they are only valid if you spend money their way and end up with no savings at all. so they should really not bother.

Besides those few mentions we love this resort. It is secure. safe and the food is great. We have never gotten sick on anything nor had any symptoms of stomach problems etc. They take great care in keeping the food fresh and it is safe to each all salads, fruits and vegetables etc.

Shopping at the Mexcian Plaza on the resort is awesome. Shops in the resorts could use some help as merchandise seems outdated and the quality of clothing is not a good as in recent years.

We cannot wait to go back again next year.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
pembroke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was our second time at this resort. We have been travelling the Caribbean yearly (lately twice a year) for over twenty years. This has to be one of our best resorts. Front desk is extremely helpful and friendly. Restaurant wait staff is friendly, very professional and pay attention to every detail. Upon arrival, they always greet you and introduce themselves. The bartenders are courteous and friendly and even remember what you are drinking. The sports bar is unbelieveable. At night, the crowd is wall to wall. They never miss a step. Their is no backlog for drinks. They are like a well oiled machine and you would never know it is busy. Professional in every way. The food is outstanding. The buffets, the beach bar and specialty restaurants are as good if not better than any I have experienced in all my years of travelling the Caribbean. Maid service leaves nothing to be desired. Rooms are immaculate. Great beach, plenty of shade available. Good shows with live bands. The entire staff always greets you when you meet and always have a huge smile. What more can you ask for.

Room Tip: Veracruz Building Rooms around 7520's or 7620's
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have stayed at the Barcelo in the past and liked it , as well as this time. Overall a great facility with wonderful beaches, safe, a TON of kids activies and that SUN is amazing. For the hotel.. I feel like the tropical was outdated a bit, beds were ROCK HARD and the food was OK, the buffett was old after a day and the reservations resturants felt like food off the buffet except for one, the Koyko? Oriental one - very good. I will bring my kids back to this resort as we know what to expect, love the beach and facilities. As for a personal spot for just my hubby and I, probably will go elsewhere . Daily entertainment was fun but nightly entertainment is very scarce, besides the lobby bar there is nothing going on. A few shows and a disco however they are not overly busy nor exciting by any means. Coupon special is a joke, still have to spend a forturne and if i recall they were the same price (after the coupon was used) that they were on the last visit so no real bargains. The SUN, WARM weather and atmosphere was GREAT! Would reccommend if your bringing kids forsure -- if your up for a ton of night life - keep shopping.

Room Tip: We did the upgrades however i felt like it was a waste of moolah - didnt get anything extra special...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!