Overall a great week long vacation with 3 couples, teenagers and college age kids. The resort is gorgeous,and spacious. With the exception of the last day, at 10 AM we were able to get a dozen lounge chairs together on the beach. What a pleasure not to have to run down early in the morning to reserve them!. Towels were readily available.. and a personal shout out to my new amigo Bianca at the towel hut, who always had a kind word and smile on her face. The staff kept the beach and pool area immaculate all day long. I think it is worth repeating, Clean facilities, chairs and towels readily available during Christmas week. Kudos!
Food reviews: Santa Fe Steakhouse was the unanimous winner! Best lamb chops I ever had! Most had the steak and loved it. I heard the Salmon was also superb. The seafood restaurant was fine. Grouper was outstanding, lobster was good, but then again it is not a Maine Lobster.
Thumbs down for the italian restaurant- also unanimous. We wanted to try the Japanese restaurant based on other reviews, but the concierge was not able to fit us in any time during our 7 day stay. We found that odd. Breakfast buffet was the best. Offered a great variety. Lunch we alternated between the beach grill and main buffet. Both were fine. Dinner buffet was inconsistent. One night great, one night horrible.
As previously warned, check in/check out is VERY slow. Staff in general( not limited to front desk) was stressed and robotic rather than warm and friendly. Clearly a management issue.
Rooms were nice. Towel rack on the balcony for wet bathing suits. Nice touch. Minibar constantly refilled. A few more drawers would have been nice, but other than that, no complaints.
By Day: Water aerobics, beach volleyball, water polo, dancing, Kayaking,Aqua Cycles,sailing,snorkeling...
By night: They had a 1 hour show each night. They quality went from good to great. The Disco was not really happening as per the college kids. We kept wondering where everyone else went at night, as the lobbies & bars too were empty.
Wish I Knew...
1. Bring comfortable shoes. The place is immense and spread out. You walk a a lot!
2. Bring water shoes. The Caribbean is very rocky.
3. Bring snorkel gear. Although it is free to snorkel, an equipment is included, they do not have nearly enough. We ended up buying our own.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Barcelo, Booking.com, Despegar.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Barcelo Maya Tropical reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Maya Tropical Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Maya Tropical Riviera Maya/Puerto Aventuras, Mexico