“First trip to Mexico” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Tropical

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Tropical to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Tropical
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Federal Chetumal - Puerto Juarez, Km 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Calgary, Canada
“First trip to Mexico”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I searched all around on the internet and asked coworkers and other friends of a place to go in Mexico as I had never been there before. It was also my first all inclusive vacation, therefore I wanted it to be a good one.

Barcelo was highly recommended so I had high expectations. I am a bit fussy when I go to a hotel so I was concerned for sure as everyone has different standards.
We booked directly through the hotel and arranged our own transportation which worked out quite well as it was a private shuttle so there were no additional stops. After a long flight from Calgary to Cancun we just wanted to get to the resort and start our vacation!

The lobby is beautiful (always a good sign) staff were friendly and professional, at times there was language barriers but nothing that caused us issue.
The resort itself was very clean, the room was kept clean, fridge restocked daily with big bottles of water, pop and beer.
The pool was great, lots of activities to do and easy to catch the bus outside the resort to go to playa del carmen for shopping.
Beach was beautiful, you can walk and walk and enjoy the beautiful view.
My only complaint was that the bed was hard, my daughter did not find it too bad but for me I prefer a much softer bed and pillows. I could have easily asked at the front desk to have a mattress pad put on but it wasnt that bad.
Food was good, you have to make your restaurant reservations as soon as you arrive and we did ok, got some decent times, some were a bit too early so we ended up not going as we were enjoying the sun and pool.
Entertainment was fun, everynight there is a show, only one night we found it boring but hey thats ok too.
My only other complaint was that sometimes it took awhile at the swimup bar to get a drink, but again this is minor.
I cannot wait to go back again but may try the Palace as I believe its the newer part of the resort.
Stayed mid June 2012. Weather wasnt that great but hard to predict the weather anywhere you go.

Room Tip: It was suggested to us for a quiet and drier (less humid) room to go up to higher floor and farther...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

1,690 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Polish first
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just returned from a week stay at the Barcelo Tropical and had a blast. We traveled with a large group and the resort offered something for all. We kept busy everyday and enjoyed the facilities the resort has to offer. The buffets and resturants had great food and service. The pools and beach were fantastic with plenty of space for all guests. Bring plenty of singles and small bills for tipping.

The rooms were good, I enjoyed coffee every morning on the patio. We had 2 double beds, they had firm mattress, along with a couch that converts into a single bed. My wife and I shared a bed while our 2 sons( ages 18 & 20) had their own bed each night. Nothing special about the rooms other wise, just a place to sleep at night and shower.

We ate at the buffet for breakfast, ate the omeletes several times, tons of fruit etc to choose from. Large selection and plenty of seating. The snack bar, another buffet, was equal to the breakfast selection. I had a salad every day along with some other offering trying to eat healty while on vacation. Make your dinner reservations when arrivng to get a good time at the resturants. We ate at the Steak house, the Italinan, Seafood, and Japanese Resturant. All had a good atmosphere., service, with a good menu. I did not favor one over another.

The bartender were friendly and I never really waited for an extende time for a drink. I had blender drinks while there, Rum Runners, and Electic Lemodade were my go to drinks. Our boys went to the Jaguar Disco almost everynight with their cousins and had fun.

Our boys played pick up basket ball every day. Made friends with Samuel that worked for the resort and had a ball. They said it was thier best trip every.

The beach has white sand with some of the shore was a little rocky. Just walk a little ways until you see an all sandy bottom. We had some bring facemasks and snorkels from home and saw a Sea Turtle and Tropical Fish. The best snorkeling is off the Palace beach out by the bouyees. I spent the majority of the time poolside. Joined in the Water polo, water arobics, and swam laps.

The daily water arobics was enjoys by the gals as Samuel and Estaban lead the exercise program that was not too hard but fun. The gals were entertain by the "Magic Mike" like instruction from the young gentlemen.

I play tennis for the 1st time in 20+ years and wanted to play some more. We reservered the court. Min golf is near by, nice little course. The last couple of holes are killer if you get overconfident. I WAS 10 under par until the end of the course losing many strokes at the end.

Overall and excellent place for a vacation and I would not hesitate to go back again. Stayed on the resort for the entire week except for a short shoppinng trip to Playa De Carmen.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

For a very long time, my mom kept track of this hotel because she wanted to go there for her birthday but it was quite expensive at that time, but we finally went on December 5 and stayed there till December 12! The main purpose for this vacation was the fact that my brother was getting married!! It was the most memorable and best week EVER! We travelled in a big group since it was for the wedding, we had around 30 people varying from different ages; some travelled with little babies, little kids, teens and adults. Not only did we celebrate a wedding, but 2 birthdays as well !

CHECK IN: Upon arrival, we were greeted with welcome cocktails which warmed our hearts right away! The front desk worked very well, so we got our key, our bracelets and everything very quickly. We even got our luggage’s distributed to our rooms very quickly, which was very pleasant.

ROOM: We stayed in the Yucatan building in room 7252 on the second floor! The room was just SPECTACULAR! We had two queen sized beds with a bunch of pillows and blankets! I’ve read some reviews that said that the beds were uncomfy but I found it otherwise, they were soo comfortable that it was hard to get up in the morning!! Upon arrival, our little mini fridge was FILLED with drinks and snacks that I absolutely adore!! We had a nice little TV with a lot of channels to choose from even though most of them were in Spanish, but who cares, we didn’t come to Mexico to watch TV!! Our balcony looked upon the palm trees and we got a GREAT view of the lizards! NOTE: If you’re a smoker, they do not leave an ash tray, so either bring your own or don’t smoke! The bathroom was SUPER awesome!! It was not small nor to big, the shower was great and the toilet worked perfectly! The mirror was very big and they even left shampoo, conditioner, body wash (so don’t bring your own), little comb, shoe shiner, sewing kit!! The safe worked amazingly, it was big and it did its job correctly!! We loved our room and the maid always cleaned it perfectly and we were left happy!!! Our room was also near all our family and friends which was great! The room numbering is kind of confusing, so on one side it could be pair numbers and then it changes, so just be careful with that!!

FOOD: The food was PERFECTO!! I love to eat and I was not left hungry or disappointed once! The perk of this resort is that you could eat at any buffet or in any restaurant except in the 5 star hotel, which was great! At first we usually ate breakfast in our buffet and the food was amaazzing! They had a huge variety of juices to choose from, omelettes, bacon, donuts, fruits, vegies and soo much more! They even had a diet corner which is great for dieters! We ate their a couple of times and then we just decided to eat at the snack bar near the beach because we were left so full after diner that we needed some time to get hungry!! The snack bar was soo convenient because it was situated right by the beach and the food there was amazing as well!! They had more variety of sea food then in the buffet which I liked and all the food was muy bueno!! The servers were always there and ready to serve, they never left you waiting and they were just so great and smiling and nice to talk to!! We always left tips because it was hard not too! For dinner, we usually went to the a la carte dinner, so the first night we went to Don Kijote, a Spanish restaurant for my dad’s birthday and the service was exceptional, the food was amazing and they even made us a little ceremony when bringing my dad’s birthday cake like they dimmed the lights and started hitting plates together, it was great!! Then we went to a seafood restaurant, I recommend the lobster, sooooo good  Once again great service! We went to a Mexican restaurant and the food was very good as well! If choosing a soup, be careful with the tomato soup because it’s very spicy!! In the end, I recommend you to ask for MEXICAN COFFEE because they give you this very entertaining performance with fire while they make it and it tasted delicious!! For my sister in law’s birthday, we went to the 5 star hotel (15$ per person) to the Brazilian restaurant and the steak was mhm mhm good!! They also gave her a nice birthday cake with a great performance!! Overall spectacular food, do not even worry!!!

BEACH: The beach is BEAUTIFUL!! The sand is very soft and you do not sink through when you walk!! The ocean was such a beautiful color and soo warm!! A lot people complain that there are rocks when you enter the beach and that is true, but only in the entrance, this beach has a lot of coral reefs so that’s why it’s a bit rocky and it was not even a problem for us! Just find a nice spot to enter from and you’ll be satisfied! This resort had an INCREDIBLE place to snorkel, like the best one we have probably seen!! When you walk into the water, there is already fish right underneath you and you could even see people feeding them! I suggest you bring your own snorkel equipment that way bright and early in the morning you could go snorkeling right away!! You should swim out a little, so near the buoys the snorkeling is exceptional! We have seen so much different corral and fish that we never saw! If you swim towards the 5 star hotel, be careful because there are some coral reefs that are very shallow and you could get stuck in them! Near the 5 star hotel, we saw A BUNCH of turtles, I’ve never seen so much, a BUNCH of stingrays, huge white ones, scary looking :P, a lot of different fish, big and small, we saw a manta-ray once, my brother and his friend saw a baby shark, don’t worry it’s a nurse shark so they’re harmless! We saw some eels, a HUGE barracuda and a million different fish!! We swam past the buoys but if the life guards are on duty and they see you, they will whistle and call you back because there is ongoing traffic from the boats! You could also rent water bikes (coolest thing I have ever seen), sea-do’s, you could go parasailing, kayaking!! So much fun stuff to do!!

ENTERTAINMENT: We are HUGE fans on entertainment, we always go to the shows and we have never ever missed one! The shows here were FANTASTIC, some of which I have never seen before!! The first night they had the nutcracker ballet, it was great!! They had a karaoke night and I really suggest you do it because you don’t have to be a great singer to sing the songs! I went up with a friend and everyone before us sang amazing and we were like oh no, we’re not that good but everyone was clapping, we had a blast doing it!!! They had THE COOLEST circus show that I have seen!! They had a great band with singers that performed before the shows and even after!! They had many other shows but I don’t want to ruin the surprise for you!! After the shows, the bar usually closed 30 mins later and if you’re a party person, then head to Jaguar the club, the music is live, they have dancers and it goes all night! The day entertainment was great as well! They had beach volleyball at 11 for an hour and it was soo much fun!!! Sometimes they had water aerobics in the ocean and most of the time in the pool! They taught you how to speak Spanish, they had bingo and soo many other things!! The entertainment team was amazing, they would play sports with you, they were just awesome!! They EVEN had a huge tennis court, mini golf, basketball area; amazing!

WEDDING: If you are planning your wedding, you MUST do it in this resort!! Our wedding ceremony was held at the 5 star resort, followed by a cocktail party, dinner and dance in our resort by the pool! Xhail, my brother’s wedding coordinator did a fantastic job, the wedding was soo romantic, facing the beach, it was just perfect! My sister in law got this AMAZING photographer, originally from Germany but he lives in Cancun, his name is Sascha Gluck and he took amazing photos, we didn’t get them yet but we got a preview, AMAZING!!! Recommend him! We even had a camera man filming our wedding which was great for memory!! The waiters at the cocktail party and diner were AMAZING, they did an amazing job!! Always offered drinks and food and we even caught them dancing to some of our songs!!! The music was soo loud from our wedding that it could be heard from far away and we had a lot of people come by wishing the married couple happiness!! There was even another wedding that day!!! It was my first wedding and it exceeded all my expectations!!! :D

STORES: There was a Plaza Mexicana in the middle of the resort and it had SOOO many stores and soo much to choose from which was great! Sometimes the prices they offer are a bit high but if you bargain with them, you could get the item for much less!!

OVERALL: This week was a week that I will remember forever!! Not only was it a vacation but my brother got married, and I couldn’t imagine a much better wedding in any other resort! The staff was soo welcoming, always smiling, eager to talk, they just did an amazing job, so please leave them tips, they really deserve it!!!! I had such a great experience, I would RECOMMEND this resort to anyone, it was just amazing!!!! No words to describe what I’m feeling, just amazing!!! We will definitely return to this resort because we had such a fantastic time!!! Despite the fact that in our group of friends, we had a stomach flu going around, we had AN AMAZING TIME!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH AND WE LOVE BARCELO MAYA <3

Negaunee, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

My husband and I went there for our honeymoon. We chose this spot because he had be there once before and he had a good experience the first time. There were many things we liked about this resort.
It was very clean.
It was so big there was no need to leave the resort, plenty of restaurants, pools, bars, and beach.
Great price!
GREAT customer service- the employees were so nice, we were repeatedly impressed by this.

Only negative is that the beds are pretty uncomfortable, but I would go again anyway and I probably will be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Waterford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed at the Tropical from the 8th to the 16th of Dec 2012. This is my 3rd time here and I was not disappointed. The resort was beautiful as usual, the staff does a fantastic job. There is nothing bad I could say about this resort. As for the food it was great for a buffet. They try there best to keep it fresh, warm and exciting for all. I had no problems eating there everyday. The activity team worked there butts off to keep everyone entertained and I enjoyed participating in Ping Pong, waterpolo and beach vollyball everyday. This resort is so kid friendly as all I could see and hear were all these kids having a great time. The beach is great but a little rocky getting into the ocean, but once your in its great. A giant turtle just casually swam by us one day just 20 feet off the beach. The pier was great for swimming also. I just can't say enough, this resort was fantastic again and I will return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We have stayed at the Barcelo Tropical hotel about 12 times in the past 7 or 8 years. Obviously we love it. The staff are incredible. Carlos and Cleo at the front desk are especially helpful but we have always found the staff in all parts of the resort to be amazing. Everyone is friendly and always goes out of their way to assist you in any way. One time I forgot some medicine. They called a local pharmacy and had it delivered within about 2 hours on a Sunday morning without charge for the delivery. We do tip some but it is clear that those people who don't still get great service.

Our absolute favorite thing is the beach. It is incredible. It is gigantic and very protected so there are no big waves. It is calm for children or folks who are not strong swimmers. It is warm even in winter. There are some rocks, but the water is so clear you can see them and there are plenty of clear places. if you like to snorkel, you can do it from the beach. In fact, you can see fish and turtles without snorkels. It is the main reason we return again and again -- that and the fabulous staff. The pools are beautiful and huge.

There are 5 hotels on the property. The oldest are the Beach and Caribe. They are nice but there is no air conditioning in the buffet and we found it a little hot. The Colonial and Tropical were built next and are a bit more upscale. The Palace is the newest and appears nice though we haven't stayed there. If you stay at the Palace you can go anywhere and eat anywhere in the resort. If you stay at the Tropical or Colonial you can also go and/eat at the Beach and Caribe. The food at the resort is great. The buffets have lots of variety. They always have meats and cheeses, salads, and pasta. Main entrees change for a nightly theme. You would have to be really picky not to find things you like. They also have ala cart restaurants -- a steak house, Japanese, Italian, and Seafood at the Tropical/Colonial. They have a Spanish and Mexican at the Beach/Caribe. They all are good. We also ate at the French in the Palace and it was good. if you are not staying at the hotel w/ the ala cart you want to try, you can eat there for $15. They also have snack shacks on the beach that serve good food so you don't have to get dressed for lunch if you have a cover up on. We don't drink much but it seems like the drinks we have are good. There is a fridge in your room w drinks and beer for free.

The entire resort is very family friendly but big enough that you can children if you don't want to be around them. There is a place (Barcey club) where you can drop kids for activities also. There are tons of activities for adults and children (see their webpage) and very few cost money (eg renting a wave runner). There is a small shopping center w reasonable prices for souvenirs and jewelry. I have a lot of sterling jewelry and find the prices reasonable. There is a bus that goes to all the different hotels if you are not up to walking to some of the areas. It is a large resort but you can stay close to your building if you want and do everything. It also seems pretty handicap accessible as well. We have seen folks in wheelchairs and walkers. I would recommend this resort to anyone and have sent friends who also loved it! The value for the price of the resort is amazing!

Room Tip: Rooms in Veracruz are quieter.
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My husband and I took our adult children ( 17 , 26 ) to this beautiful resort. The employees work very hard to keep the resort looking beautiful. The food was terrific and my son and daughter enjoyed snorkling and feeding the fish. We visited a cenote which was fun, The food was good and lots to choose from.Thanks Barcelo for a wonderful vacation !!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#5 of 15 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 stars 985 reviews
Free Parking, B...
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!