“Great Snorkeling at the resort.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Tropical

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Tropical to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Tropical
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Federal Chetumal - Puerto Juarez, Km 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Fargo, North Dakota
“Great Snorkeling at the resort.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

We spent 7-nights here the last week of Jan. 2012 and had a very nice stay. The resort is very large and requires a lot of walking which we found okay. The place is very well kept, and our only complaint was the bed and pillows could be softer. We didn't try any of the specialty restaurants so we cant review them. The Buffets we okay with a large verity of items to choose(you wont go hungry). I you like snorkeling make sure to bring you own equipment, as this place has a lot of sea life, we saw Turtles,small and large Stingrays, and all types of fish.
We would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: The nightly performances at the outdoor theaters can get pretty loud, request a room away from them...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

1,738 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Perfect spot, friendly staff and for us travelling with a kid with food allergies they were really accomodating. They prepared special plates for the kid, it was perfect.

Room Tip: Keep away from the theater unless sleeping with loud disco music is your thing
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I have only good reviews of this resort outside of the food. It wasn't terrible, but it could have been better. We went as a family of ranging from Mom, Dad and 3 daughters ages 23-16 from Jan 3/12-Jan12/12. We all agree that we would go back in a heartbeat. The service was fabulous!!! We were upgraded immediately upon our arrival from the Mayan Beach to the Tropical. The rooms, grounds and all the public areas are spotless. My sheets were changed everyday and the room was impeccable!! For me no bugs and clean is everything. The employees worked so hard, I cannot relate to the complaints, We are already planning our return!!! WE LOVE THE BARCELO!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Rüsselsheim
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We had our company event in this Resort, more than 3000 people were spread over the 5 hotels. Service was very good, friendly, kind. They even took the time for small talk. We were staying in the Tropical. Room was clean also the bathroom was clean. Food, buffet was nice in the Tropical, but in the Palace Deluxe hotel the food was even better, the buffet was more beautifully presented, more special. As we were wearing a special tag, we could go every where at the resort, also dinner in the Palace Deluxe. Cocktails, the coffee break with all the cookies, cakes, pastries and sweets were superb. Sehr lecker. The surrounding, gardens beautiful, awsome, te gek, klasse super. Beach, sunbeds, swimming pool, the Palmeras Grill, pool bar all very nice. Sport activities well organized, if you wanted to join in you just did. Shops and Plaza Mexicana shopping center nice too. Fish Restaurant was good too, Italian Restaurant we heard was good too. The steakhouse Santa FE was bad, first thing when you came in,their was a strange smell I thought it was like an indoor swimmingpool, others said no it is meat smell. The portions were far too big as a starter, quantity is not quality, steak was not grilled as requested it looked like burned icehockey puck. T-bone steak was average. the T-bone steak in the buffet at lunch time was better. the T-bone steak at the Palace Deluxe was superb grilled in front of you. Generally their was a great choice of food and drinks available at breakfast, lunch, dinner: 4-star average. Due to the Steakhouse experience 4-star only.
Departure well organized. For service, kindness, cleaness, gardens well kept and
activities 5-star.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Boston, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We were anticipating a relaxing vacation free of stress. This is NOT what you will experience at the Tropical. We have vacationed w/our family at numerous other resorts and have felt totally comfortable. Some of these other resorts are more upscale than the Tropical and yet do not implement the same rigidity.

The staff was unaccommodating and inflexible. When we arrived, after booking 7 months in advance, one of our three rooms was facing the "theater" which could not possibly have been more noisy when attempting to rest/sleep. We begged each day to PAY for an upgrade on this room and each day we were advised "we are at 75% capacity and tomorrow we will be able to fulfill your request." You guessed it - after making the same request for 5 days and speaking with the manager each time, the room change never came to fruition!

Returning from the beach on New Year's Eve at 5:30PM needing to quickly shower for dinner, we found our room in disarray. Someone had obviously been in the room, being that the spread was tossed 1/2 on the floor and 1/2 on the couch, a pillow was tossed into my husband's suitcase, two pillows tossed onto the floor and two on the couch. The dirty towels were on the floor in the bedroom. We attempted to call for assistance and of course..OUR PHONE DID NOT FUNCTION - FOR 4 DAYS - . In the hallway we found someone to notify and they finally sent someone. We were told "the maid's key was unable to work to open the door to your room!"

Throughout our stay we NEVER received a face cloth or hand towel - only bath towels.

One evening we made reservations at the Seafood Restaurant, arrived ahead of schedule and immediately upon seating were asked to order our entrees. We asked if we were permitted to order a cocktail prior to dinner and the waiter gave us a dirty look. We addressed the situation with the maitre d' and he announced, "each patron is permitted exactly 1.5 hours of dining and 9 individuals do not have time for a cocktail" One person in our party went to the bar for us and the maitre d' scolded him saying he would "get into trouble". We could not believe our ears.

We visited the Italian Restaurant and the food was inedible. We are not fussy eaters and it was the worse we have ever eaten. The ambiance was terrific as would be expected -the property receives all the attention.

The list goes on and on. The property is gorgeous and meticulously maintained at the expense of the guests stress free enjoyment. If this is the style you prefer be our guest. When we vacation we prefer to relax within a relaxing environment.

Room Tip: There are NO OCEAN VIEW rooms at this resort. The restaurants and pools are closest to the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Colleyville, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We stayed at the Tropical from January 19-22. We were part of a large business group, so we had access to all of the Barcelo Maya properties, and we used most of them. This review will be on all of the properties, but as I had to pick just one, and our actual room was in the Tropical, I chose the Tropical to review.

Be aware that if you stay at the Tropical, you do not typically have access to the Palace, including its pools, restaurants, bars, etc. If you stay at the Palace, you can go anywhere you like.

There were many positives, but also several huge negatives, to our stay.

ROOMS
First, we were given a room in the Caribe, which is the second to the lowest property (in escalating order, it goes Beach, Caribe, Colonnial, Tropical, Palace). Our room had two double beds (not queen, mind you, double), which were way too small for myself and my 6'4" husband. The rooms in all properties have tiled floors. The room in the Caribe had fresh bed linens (no bedspread or quilt, but instead the sheet duvet that get changed out fully with each guest, which I prefer for cleanliness reasons) and a flat screen TV. When we moved to the Tropical, we were surprised to find a tube TV instead of a flat screen, and a bedspread on the bed. As I prefer not to use hotel bedspreads, we searched for a blanket, but it smelled so musty and terrible, we couldn't use it. The room was clean, and the shower was very nice (the shower head was one of those rain shower heads, so it was quite comfortable). There was a stainless steel dispenser in the shower with shampoo, gel and conditioner. The only downside to the cleanliness of the room was the floors - whatever they use to clean them made them somewhat sticky, so I always wore slippers (which were provided for free in the closet) around the room. Towels were very generous in size.

Our room had a king bed, a couch, a desk and chair, a dresser (in which there was a TV, two drawers, and a refrigerator stocked with juice, soda, bottled water and some beer) and an attached bench. There was one closet, which contained hangers, shelves, and a safe. The patio had a plastic table and two plastic chairs, and a pull-out towel bar (which was very handy, as it was so humid, all of the clothes inside actually ended up wet, and swimsuits would never have dried inside the room).

We saw a room in the Palace, and it was considerably nicer. It had a king bed, two couches, two closets, the built-in bench, a flat screen TV, a dresser and a desk. The furniture on the patio was nicer as well. The bathroom was larger, with more separation between the toilet/sink and shower.

GYM

There are two gyms at the resort, one at the Caribe near the spa, and one at the Palace. I only used the Caribe gym, as I was unaware at the time of the Palace spa. The gym was not air conditioned, and was therefore incredibly hot and humid. It was otherwise nicely appointed, with elliptical trainers, treadmills, exercise bikes (including those used for spin classes), and a full room of free weights. Towels and bottled water were available at the gym. I was told the Palace gym was air conditioned.

POOL/GROUNDS
The pools and grounds here are outstanding. All of the pools are enormous - the largest I've ever seen, by far (and I've stayed at a lot of really nice resorts). It's hard to describe their size, but they were nearly as large as a city block. As such, they are not heated, and there isn't a hot tub on the property, either. They were a bit cool at first in January, but after a few minutes, they were tolerable. With the exception of the pool at the Maya Beach, all of the pools had really fantastic children's areas, with lots of slides and fountains and fun water features. The children's areas were separate from the larger pools, so we really didn't see small children playing in the larger pools. The Palace has an adults-only pool with lovely cabanas you can rent if you really want peace and quiet, but we were content at the regular Palace pool. All of the pools have swim-up bars. We quickly learned two good drinks - a pina colada with fresh banana (fresh bananas are only available at the Palace pool bar) and an iceberg, which is a Corona with a margarita floating on top. Order the grande if you want a drink that will last you more than 3 minutes. There was a decent liquor selection, but the liquor changes at each resort. At the Palace, you can get Absolut vodka, but at other resorts, the liquor isn't as top-shelf. I'm told it gets worse the further down the beach you go.

There were servers walking around the pool area at the Palace taking drink orders, and we appreciated that. We brought money to tip, and that was greatly appreciated.

At check-in, we received two cards that we could exchange for towels. Towels are kept in a towel room and must be checked out, so you can't grab two towels per person.

The grounds are full of lush vegetation, and everything is kept nicely manicured and clean. We saw a few lizards (including large iguanas) on the property. The lobbies had some nice water features around them, and everything was spacious and really well-kept and inviting. The beach was clean, with abundant chairs. There was a pier from which we could see lots of fish, and even an eel, without even stepping foot in the water. We brought snorkel equipment, but as the sea was a little rough, and it was quite windy during our stay, we were content with what we saw from the pier.

SERVICE
This was probably the highest point of the trip. Service was absolutely outstanding, whether at the bars or restaurants. We'd read that Spanish was the main language here (understandably), but we found that nearly everyone, save for housekeeping, spoke English. At restaurants and bars, we never waited long for someone to fill a drink or take an order, and everyone was very happy and accommodating. We were consistently pleased with the service everywhere.

FOOD
This was the very lowest point of the trip. We've been to Beaches in the Turks & the Caicos, and while the food there was good (not great), it was certainly all quite edible. Here, the food was plentiful, but AWFUL. At breakfast, there were made-to-order omelets, but my husband's was somewhat raw. I stuck to cereal and toast. At lunch, the only decent thing we ever ate were the fajitas at the Palace buffet. Just as the liquor selection gets worse with each resort, so does the food. I can only imagine what people at the Beach had to eat. It was a joke amongst our (very large) group - anytime you asked how someone's meal was, whether at a buffet or at an a la carte restaurant, the answer was "ok." No one ever had a good meal, and certainly not a great meal. THere was a pasta bar at dinner at the Palace buffet that was edible, as was the hibachi grill, but all other grilled food was atrocious. Most of it was pre-grilled, so they just barely warmed it up, and it was hardly seasoned and cooked within an inch of its life. Food at the French restaurant was really not French at all. We didn't bring our kids with us, but said they would have loved the pool and kids' club, but would have complained the whole time about the food. I would have gladly stayed another day if it wasn't for the food. I was only there for two full days, and it about did me in.

ALCOHOL
I've already stated that the alcohol gets better as you lead up to the Palace. One thing that was consistently terrible was the wine. I am not much of a wine snob, but I couldn't stomach the wine that came with dinner. It tasted like vinegar and even red wine was served cold. It was by far the worst wine I have ever tasted in my life. Wine could be purchased at some restaurants, and was, of course, heavily marked up.

Overall, I could only recommend this resort if someone stayed at the Palace. The rooms, the lobby, the restaurants, the pool - all were far, far nicer at the Palace, and if we hadn't had access to everything at the Palace, we would have been extremely unhappy with our stay. If the food had been edible, I would have given this 4 stars, and would consider going back. But, unfortunately, the food was so bad, I could never recommend this. And since we got to eat at the Palace restaurants, I can only imagine how terrible the food would have been at other resorts.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Leduc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Were there Jan 15 to 22 for our son's wedding. The wedding planner, Lillian, was absolutely amazing. Lillian,together with the kids,arranged what I think I was the most beautiful and fun wedding ever. The Tropical is fantastic, room was quite big, two beds and what impresses me the most is the bathroom. Has to be bright. Food at the buffets was excellent, great selection. Ala Cartes were pretty good also, although you had to try and book as soon as you get there so you can get the times you want. Staff was very professional. Pools were big and clean. The beach was super, clean and lovely white sand. Could use some little palaps though, but you're there for the sun and fun anyway. I can't say enough about how well organized the wedding day was. We, as parents, were a little skeptical, but man Lillian did a super job, making sure everything ran smoothly. Had probably the best steak and lobster dinner for the receiption. All in all, I would recommend this resort, Tropical, for any type of vacation - wedding or otherwise. Can't comment on the other parts of the Barcelo as we didn't partake there. Tropical will be seeing our family again. Amazing!!

Room Tip: We were on the third floor overlooking a courtyard - was pretty quiet. If you don't like stairs...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!