“Ideal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

You added Barcelo Maya Colonial to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Minnesota
“Ideal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

This was my first all-inclusive resort. My wife had done all-inclusive it before with girlfriends and liked it. I was resistant, becuase I generally like to get out and enjoy the local scenery.

This resort was great. Great food and plenty of things to do to keep yourself entertained while not sitting around soaking up the sun and all-you-can-drink alcoholic beverages.

Forget the bad reviews. It was one of my big concerns when booking the trip, but none of those bad reviews were valid on this trip. Everyone that works there was more than friendly, just good people. The only one to look out for is the guy trying to get you to go on day-trips right when you check in. Make up your mind before you check in if you want to go on one of these. If you don't just tell him right off the bat to save the waste of time.

Otherwise, ENJOY! If I wasn't so into experiencing new places, I'd be back over and over becuase its a great price and an awesome resort.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Polish first
Lac La Biche, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

We have been to the Myan Riveria four times now, this is the first time we have stayed at the Barcelo Colonial. It was a beautiful resort, loved the waterfalls through the lobbies and lush green palm trees and greenery throughout the resort. Service was great, food was wonderful. There was always a lounger available, didn't have to get up so early in the morning for one. The gym on the resort was fabulous, usually my husband has to take a cab into Playa Del Carmen and use "The Gym" there but not this time. They had enough weight and machines for him to use and have great workouts. He loved sizzling in the hot tub after his workouts. Staff was very friendly, loved how we were able to get around from our room to the beach to the snack bars very easily, no long walks to get those spots.

One downfall was there was no free wireless internet, you had to pay $12US dollars for every 24 hour connection you had OR you could pay $3.00 for 15 minutes at the internet cafe they had on the resort. That sucked! Wish they would have provided free wireless internet.

The only other downfall that my husband did not like was there was no 24hour snack bar. There was room service after 11pm but it was a limited menu and you had to pay for it!!! Which really sucked! So heads up on that one but I wouldn't stop from going there cause of this unfortunate feature, it is a really nice resort.

Langley BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

Food was great, Beach was a little rocky had to be careful getting in and out of the water but we did find the Caribe beach to be nicer. I would have to say the only problem was the smelly room. There was mold on the curtains and on the fabric on the chair and couch cushions. But I really think the smell was coming from the air conditioner. I really don't want to know when they cleaned those out last, and what we were breathing in every night. I even bought an air freshener but it did nothing to get rid of the smell. You do get use to it after you have been in the room for awhile. People we met changed rooms for that reason and found the next room to be the same. So I guess there is just no getting away from it. We don't spend alot of time in the room so we just made due. I did write it down on the coment cards so hopefully they can do something about it. I would go back but maybe next time I will bring two air freshners. I loved the robes and slippers in the room.

Carlisle, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

We just got back tonight.... it went way too fast! Food was great. We got an immediate upgrade from Caribe to Colonial without even asking. The resort is HUGE, so be prepared to get your exercise. It is actually 5 hotel within one complex, so you will never be bored. The fancy restaurants were great (we got to do 2 during our stay - Italian and Seafood, and both were delicious. It was wonderful to have champagne with breakfast.

We took a tour to Chichian - Itsa (the Mayan Pyramid) and the tour was excellent. It was a full day of driving through the country, stopping for shopping, the tour itself (Norma was an excellent and knowledgeable guide) and lunch at a local restaurant (again, good food and lots of it) and a dunk in one of the senotes - fresh water cavern, like something out of Hollywood! What a great day out.

The only complaint I have and it's not the hotels fault is that the water was very rough, and there were rocks on the beach. I got severely injured when I was snorkeling near the pier - I had to be rescued off the rocks. I have never been tossed by the ocean and had I known this was dangerous, I would never have gone. We finally found a safe spot down near the Palace, right in front of the lifeguard stand. Go there and you will be safe. You can easily walk to it from any of the hotels in the complex. It wasn't just me that got hurt. Many people had cuts and bruises from swimming.

I'm wondering was my bad experience due to us being there in December? Would appreciate anyone's comments.

Had a great time. Still prefer the Catalonia Riveria Maya though, and learned that it is almost next door! Safe snorkeling there and excellent amenities.

New york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

It was our first time here and we had a very good time as the weather was Amazing, the pool area Fantastic, the Ocean beautiful except for the rocks, Boulders and coral in the ocean. I DO wish someone could of told me about this as I ran in this Beautiful water NOT knowing of the rocks!! My feet were pretty cut up.. but I made it. The rooms were very musty smelling and very, very noisy. Drinks were included except for the Better drinks. That was an additionial charge. ( didn't know about that ) Not one room w/Balcony has a ocean view and the ones that do have that are suites and an additionial charge. I also found that the people working there were not too attentive until you tip them a few and they see you a little better and the service got faster and with a smile. Communication is a big problem, and we had no internet at all. Even in the internet office. ( No signal ) everyday! I tried to change my room, but had no luck, untill the day before i was to leave and declined to move at that point. All in all, The price was great, The weather Again Amazing, Pool, Fantastic and we did have a over all good time. Coming from a Cold place to 85-90* weather that in itself was great! We also got hit on the way home at the cancun airport with a $20.00 per person Tax fee at the airport that everyone MUST pay. Jetblue was great, very good fleights and service. I am 50/50 on this place. It is beautiful to see though. just several little things that would make it perfect! Good luck with your choice!! Would recommend, but you must be aware of all the little things that add up. Rocks and coral in the Ocean, bring or buy water shoes.. makes it easier.

Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

We read reviews before we left and found it hard to find anyone who complained and we can see why. It was an awesome trip! The hotel is gorgeous, the staff are sooooooo amazing. We are not fussy travelors and so we may not be the answer your looking for, but honestly you will have a hard time finding faults. We had delays with our flights but it was manageable. And I also want to say, what a wonderfully peacefull flight. After flying to Vegas in August, I thought I'd swear off flying ever again, but Transat reassured me.

The restaurants at Barcelo Colonial are very satisfying. The Spanish and Japanese restaurant will entertain you and the food was excellent. I say go, you will love it!

alberta, canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

This was our first resort to this Barcelo but wow is it ever beautiful. We stayed at the Colonial and it was very nice. We were in the Jalisco bldg. room # 6316. So, we were very close to the main pool, Barcy Kids club, the beach and the grill. So, it worked out awesome. I had requested a 3rd floor room in a bldg. close to the pool and Beach and ocean view and I got a response back from Adda Fernandez (Reservation Manager) stating he would see what he could do. Well, I got pretty much everything besides the last choice which was ocean view and that was fine. How much time do you spend in the room anyway. To get the ocean view, we would have probably have to upgrade to the suites/master suites. some observations, wont get into detail on all as most previous comments are pretty much dead on.

Pool:
The pools are really big. Our 5 year old had a blast in the kids water park which was right adjacent to our bldg. We let him spend an hour or so over there everyday. He made a lot of friends from the kids club and some just with familiarity. The Colonial pool is pretty much the same as the Tropical side but the service is pretty much non existant if you want drinks brought to you. For us, this was not such a big deal. We moved around a lot by spending a few hours by the beach and then usually later on by the pool so we could see the dance every afternoon at 4. If we were thirsty we would just get up and go get our own drinks. The activity team is not bad/not great. I have seen better. They do try to get most people involved. For famililies with kids you guys will love the Colonial/the Palace pools as they have water slides and what not. Now this is more for kids ranging from an age where they can move around independently to about 6-7. The older kids might not enjoy it as much.

The property:

Very nicely laid out.. be prepared for a lot of walking if you like visiting each side. We did most of our walking very early in the day or much later in the evening when it was not as hot. The staff take so much pride in looking after the property and it is immaculate. The lobbies, buffets, the pools and a la carte are very nicely spaced out. We took the train when we were too hot to walk or our 5 year old didnt want to walk. The staff are very friendly from the ground staff, to the maids and the front reception.

The Food:
Really good. The buffets were awesome. Always lots to eat. We even found lobster tails in the buffet on 2 seperate occasions at night. Not sure if they had a theme or not. We ate once at the buffet on the carribe side but then didnt return. Not that it was bad but we just felt the Colonial/Tropical side much better. The location more so than the food. The grills were all good as well with a lot of variety and we tried each one. The A La Carte's were awesome. We went to the Santa Fe (Steak House), the Capri ( the Italian), Bali Hai (Japanese) and MareNorstrom (Seafood). My personal favourite were in this Order, the Seafood, the Japanese, the Steak house and Italian being my least favourite mainly because I am not much of a pasta person. My wife on the other hand said she really liked it.

The beach:
The beach does have some rock but there are tons of spots where it is pretty much rock free and really soft and calm. We had some days with a lot of wind but it was still pleasant. You can walk a few hundred yards in and then it might get deep. We found the best snorkeling area in between the tropical/Colonial section right by the rocks. 2nd favourite spot was by the pier closer to the carribe section. There were a few spots towards the Palace side that was pretty good too. I took water shoes but only used it once. Felt it more of a nuisance when I wanted to swim/snorkel so usually went in without them. Once you find the right spots it is not such a big deal with the rocks.

Lastly I want to thank all those that responded to my post with telling me where to snorkel, inflate the floatie etc. You guys make the experience all the more fun and I honestlly felt like I knew the hotel even before arriving there. There are tons of activites for the kids for eg. pitch and putt, mini golf, tennis, basket ball, ping pong etc. They will never get bored even the older kids as the sports bar is pretty awesome too.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!