“Okay.. but some things could be better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

You added Barcelo Maya Colonial to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“Okay.. but some things could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Just came back from 3 nights at Barcelo Maya Colonial as part of an 8 day trip to yucatan / cancun areas. We were 3 families - all with young kids between 6-9 years of age, all staying in the garden facing rooms. My first tripadvisor review since I've only been a consumer of reviews so far. We have traveled extensively across the world (asia, middle east, India, europe) and stayed at many resorts, but this was our very first time in mexico and first time at all inclusive resort, so here's my assessment:

The Positives
1. Convenient location - 20-25 mintues from either Tulum or Playa. Many Cenotes in the area if you want to explore those (we loved Cenotes and visited the two eyes and a couple of others). We actually drove on our own from our hotel in chichen itza and it took about 2.5 -3 hours including stops along the way.When we left, from the hotel to the cancun airport it took us just about an hour to drive.

2. Pretty good service at the bar and at the buffet restaurants for drinks (even though the alcohol drinks overall were average).

3. Great water park for kids and nice pools. Big and clean. I missed having a hot tub/ Jacuzzi close by (it's located in a separate area)

4. The dolphinarius is right on the property. We just walked over, saw the free show in the morning and our kids signed up for the swim with dolphin session later that afternoon. I thought they did a pretty good job in the swim session (40 full minutes in the water) unlike what I read about other places.

5. I nice little mexican souvenier shopping plaza on the property - was pricey compared to local markets we had visited, but we bargained and it was convenient for last minute souveniers etc.

6. We used one night a la carte dinner at Kyoto - the japanese restaurant on site. I have travelled extensively in Japan and been to Tokyo many times, and I thought the food was surprisingly good. We were a large group (11), so they couldn't seat us all on the same cooking table.

The Average
-. Entertainment was average - we had a latin music night, a karaoke night etc. I wish they had more stuff that involved the audience. The discotheque on premises (Jaguars) barely had any people there (probably because we were there before the peak season). As other reviewers have said

- Buffet food was okay, not outstanding. Lot of variety though for sure, and desserts were really good. One night we ate the buffet at the Maya Beach (included in your package), and I thought it was better.

- Rooms were okay. Ours had a *very* noisy AC (to be fair, we shoul've complaint but didn't). Room decor was okay. Not bad, but I would've expected more given what I paid (almost $400/night for the all inclusive), and considering the superb quality of other resorts I have stayed at for $300/night in Asia and other countries, even discounting for the all inclusive part.

Negatives
- Not having free wifi sucks (even in the lobby area).

- Sorry but the beach was too rocky. It is pretty, but our kids didn't want to go in splashing after they hurt themselves with the rocks and hard sand. I was told that the Maya Beach had a better beach but we didn't try it

- With the exception of the concierge, I found the reception staff, bellboys etc to be generally a bit on on the curt side. I wouldn't say rude, but they were definitely not very welcoming. At checkin, It felt almost that they just wanted to hurry through their script as soon as possible, versus take the time to welcome the guests and answer our questions since we were with kids and first time at an all inclusive.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Polish first
Tampa, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I want to like this place, I really do. I see why people rate it positively, but for me, the food and drink quality are severely substandard. The breakfast buffet is fine, but all other meals are equivalent in quality to high school cafeteria food (including the specialty restaurants). It is also annoying to have to make reservations in advance for the specialty restaurants (which seemed to be only 30% full each time we dined at one - so why the need to make reservations in advance, unless it is a chintzy cost-cutting measure). This, coupled with the fact that you are limited to the number of times you can dine at the specialty restaurants, smacks of a property too cheap to provide the quality deserved for the price paid. In contrast, Now and Dreams properties truly are all-inclusive and do not require advanced reservations for their specialty restaurants and actually serve reasonable quality food in their specialty restaurants.
I never expect AI resorts to have Michelin 5 star restaurants, but I do expect the food to be at least edible. We ended up driving to Playa Del Carmen several nights to eat out. Barcelo is cheaping out. You can do better.

In fairness to them, everything else about the property is actually pretty nice and the service is overall good - to - excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear guest;

Sorry to read that you have not enjoyed the food as well as the process to make reservations, truly appreciate us know to take corresponding measures and improve the quality, variety and the process for them to guests generally enjoy the hotel to the fullest.

We hope gifting us a second chance to show he has not been wrong back with us and because of the good reviews from other travelers.

Best regards;
Richmond, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Did a one week trip to Mexico at Barceló Maya Colonial. Very clean, very attentive service. Our room had a noisy A/C pipe (sounded like water running constantly). We reported it, and the repair was extremely prompt, and it was fixed.

The hotel is very clean, lots of free things to do - sailboarding, catamaran jaunts, snorkeling. Drinks are excellent, food is great. Food quality of the a la carte menu's is not a 5 star style dinner, but was good nonetheless.

Thanks for giving a memorable trip for a first-timer to mexico.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We have no words to thank you for choosing us, for sharing your experience with other travelers, as well as get a smile when reading that has gone great.

We hope you decide to return to Mexico and stay with us again.

regards,
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I don’t have kids but this hotel is well thought for children and their parents. They have a mini water park and a special section for kids at the buffet area. They also have indoor activities for kids and a daily 10 minute dolphin show at 11:30 a.m. You can also dive a little with them or just see the dolphins.

The beach is awesome and if it isn't very windy it's basically pool-like. There are some rocks so bring your water shoes. The hotel provides snorkels, swimming fins and life vests in case you want to swim to the coral reef. They also have kayaks, simple sailing boats and diving classes. I also saw pedal water bikes but nobody using them.

The buffet variety is huge, everything is fresh except breakfast juices (orange or grapefruit). Don’t be afraid to try the delicious ceviche or seafood. Just don’t over eat and drink enough water. Drinks at the bar are not particularly good and you have to ask for them right at the bar, we were offered only once by the pool. However they surprised us with birthday cake and champagne in our room! We thought they had made a mistake!

All the property and the rooms are always extra clean. They do put a good effort trying to keep everything spick-and-span. Locate your room very well, we got lost about 4 times into a close building.

Since there are lots of plants (we got stings walking in the beach!) bring mosquito repellent, you never know when they will attack.

It is very easy to get a cold or some coughing because of the weather change from your city to the beach. Maybe you won’t! But just in case bring antihistamine tablets, tylenol, C vitamin, cough syrup or the usual medicine you take because they are double priced at the hotel shops.

About the coupons: they have no use at all. You supposedly get discounts but I think the prices are high for what you get in the end.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest;

Thanks for sharing your experience, we are reading in general holidays have been great. Read their comments help us improve we will consider each of them to improve our sevicios and prices.

About mosquitoes, sorry they attack when we least expect but still try to spray several times a day so that there is the least amount possible although it is part of nature, we expect overall you enjoyed it, because the Riviera Maya gives us endless beautiful things to see.

We hope to see them again,

greetings;
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I went to this all inclusive hotel mid-September and my only concern was the hurricane season...Fortunately, the weather was just perfect and I enjoyed each moment of my week vacation. I arrived around 10 PM in the evening and the formalities at the reception were done in matters of seconds (ok, just a few minutes). I was given a room close to everything. Beach, buffet restaurants, lobby and souvenir stores were not more than 3-4 minutes’ walk from my room; what a joy, considering this hotel property is huge because it consists of 5 hotels in one (beach section, caribe section, colonial section, tropical section and palace section). The colonial section of this hotel is in the center of the property, a perfect location if you want to access all the commodities of each neighboring sections.

PROS:

The grounds of this hotel are gorgeous and immaculate. Everywhere you look and everywhere you walk is a treat for the eyes. Vegetation is lush, beautiful flowers are omnipresent and hundreds of palm trees keep reminding you that you are in the tropics….

Rooms: The room I was in was bright and offered all the amenities you expect from a world class hotel (mini fridge, safe, flat screen TV…). The bathroom was well equipped and the shower worked just perfectly. I found the bed very comfortable. The maid service in the room was very efficient and I found my room sparkling clean the entire week.

Buffet/Restaurants: The buffet food was very tasteful and there was so much to choose from. There is something for everyone. Even the snack restaurant near the beach offered a variety of meat, fish, vegetables and fruits. It is very conveniently located along the sea if you don’t want to go back to the main buffet for lunch after spending the morning on the gorgeous palm fringed beach. The a la carte restaurants were also delicious. I tried four of them for supper. I really enjoyed the seafood restaurant and the Japanese restaurant. Great atmosphere, great decor and great service too.

Pools/Beach: This is the highlight of this hotel. Pools are gigantic, clean and pleasantly located in front of the beach. If you want animation, you have a pool for that. If you want to relax, you have pools for that too. You will find loungers everywhere. The beach is stunning. It’s a picture perfect postcard beach. The sand is white, the water turquoise clear and you have so many palm trees completing the decor. I even swam with turtle’s right of this beach. What a joy.

CONS:

A week in paradise is not enough.....

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Thanks for sharing your experience with other travelers, as well as also want to thank you for choosing us for your vacation.

We're glad you enjoy our Barceló Maya Colonial Hotel, food, your room and the beach.

We are concerned about the cons we had but it was fun to read, you are right, a week is not enough to enjoy the Riviera Maya.

Hopefully back to Mexico and choose us to repeat or better those amazing vacation.

greetings;
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We are still in the resort while writing this review. We decided to come here because we saw so many good reviews about this resort. But this is definitely not what we expected.

The place is deserted, like a ghost town although (they claim) they are 90% full. Everything is perfectly manicured to the point that it looks completely artificial. On the top of it, they are building a huge shopping mall in the middle of the resort ... this is definitely something that we didn't want to see. The Internet is not free (unlike other places we visited), and the pools close at 6PM or 8PM. Even to get a towel, you have to present a special card and after 5PM the towel services is closed.

Many things that they advertised on line are not working, or they cost extra. This includes the Pirates Club for kids and Dolphinarium. Even the Pirates Club, which is part of the resort is for extra charge. So far, there seems to be only one working buffet (althoght numerous other are advertised), open bars serve only drinks and no snacks as they say they do, and by and large the food is below average.

Rooms too are below average. We reserved a "supreme" room but it wasn't very good. The smell was awful and we couldn't control the temperature (it was freezing). So we decided to upgrade the room to the "premium" level. We were told that we would get a free Internet access, free room service, and discounts at shops. Unfortunately, many of those benefits turned out to be false. For example the so-called unlimited 24hr room service is limited only to food and drinks are not included (although the drinks are listed in the room service menu). The shopping discount is limited to a 2 or 3 stores around the main reception desk and other shops within the resort don't honor it because they have "a different owner". And the Internet is limited to only one computer/device at the time.

All in all, our stay here is a big disappointment: a big discrepancy between the Web description and the real experience.

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your stay at Barceló Maya Colonial hotel. We are very concerned to learn of your disappointing experience during your stay and would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.

Thus, we would very much appreciate to further discuss with you the details of your feedback.. Please rest assured we have taken under very strict advisement your comments. As a hotel, guest satisfaction is our main belief, through your comments and suggestions, we continually improve our services.

Once again, we would like to express our most sincere apologies for not being able to meet your expectations and we remain at your entire disposition for further assistance.

NY, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Since above scales are not reflecting my real feelings here are my ratings:
Overall rating - 4+ - Very good
Hotel Staff - 4.5 - Very helpful and polite
Hotel facilities, condition - 4.5 - Outside is well maintained and clean
Room cleanliness' - 3.5 - not entirely maids issue - includes appliances,
walls, ceiling
Room comfort - 3.0 - NO privacy at all, very uncomfortable linens and
pillows
We booked Barceló Maya Tropical but when we arrived they said that it was closing for renovations and they moved us into the sister resort Barceló Maya Colonial. At first we were very disappointed, but in reality it was exactly the same level of hotel, and they made a free upgrade for us into a junior suite with ocean view in the premium club - PERFECT location - Thank you!!!
PROS:
Very fast check in and check out.
There are 5, different level, of Barceló resorts linked into a one great open space with over a mile of a beautiful beach, entertainment spots, water parks, recreation activities - Well done! - 5+
Great place for families with kids - amazing Kids Club, facility, activities, and custodians - 5+
Good kids entertainment at night
Very decent food quality and variety 4+
We liked most of nightly entertainment for adults and kids - they are really trying and work hard.
Location: Great location, the distance from airport not a problem at all, especially if you take a private transfer right at the airport. for 3+ families or groups it even less expensive.
For some one who stays for week or two there is more than you could explore and experience between all resorts facilities and entertainment spots.

CONS:
rooms: bedding and privacy - probably the most overlooked issue
Drinking water - 2 bottles of drinking water per day is just not enough we were going through 4-5 bottles every day, and have to ask for it al the time.
why should ice-cream be available only from 12:30 PM?
Mosquito net - was broken when we arrived - I unintentionally ran into it twice and my daughter at least 5 times breaking it probably even more - sticking some kind of picture(s) or sign when it's closed would probably resolve both breaks and discomfort of running into it.

Room Tip: ask for a free upgrades and closer to the ocean