Just came back from 3 nights at Barcelo Maya Colonial as part of an 8 day trip to yucatan / cancun areas. We were 3 families - all with young kids between 6-9 years of age, all staying in the garden facing rooms. My first tripadvisor review since I've only been a consumer of reviews so far. We have traveled extensively across the world (asia, middle east, India, europe) and stayed at many resorts, but this was our very first time in mexico and first time at all inclusive resort, so here's my assessment:
1. Convenient location - 20-25 mintues from either Tulum or Playa. Many Cenotes in the area if you want to explore those (we loved Cenotes and visited the two eyes and a couple of others). We actually drove on our own from our hotel in chichen itza and it took about 2.5 -3 hours including stops along the way.When we left, from the hotel to the cancun airport it took us just about an hour to drive.
2. Pretty good service at the bar and at the buffet restaurants for drinks (even though the alcohol drinks overall were average).
3. Great water park for kids and nice pools. Big and clean. I missed having a hot tub/ Jacuzzi close by (it's located in a separate area)
4. The dolphinarius is right on the property. We just walked over, saw the free show in the morning and our kids signed up for the swim with dolphin session later that afternoon. I thought they did a pretty good job in the swim session (40 full minutes in the water) unlike what I read about other places.
5. I nice little mexican souvenier shopping plaza on the property - was pricey compared to local markets we had visited, but we bargained and it was convenient for last minute souveniers etc.
6. We used one night a la carte dinner at Kyoto - the japanese restaurant on site. I have travelled extensively in Japan and been to Tokyo many times, and I thought the food was surprisingly good. We were a large group (11), so they couldn't seat us all on the same cooking table.
-. Entertainment was average - we had a latin music night, a karaoke night etc. I wish they had more stuff that involved the audience. The discotheque on premises (Jaguars) barely had any people there (probably because we were there before the peak season). As other reviewers have said
- Buffet food was okay, not outstanding. Lot of variety though for sure, and desserts were really good. One night we ate the buffet at the Maya Beach (included in your package), and I thought it was better.
- Rooms were okay. Ours had a *very* noisy AC (to be fair, we shoul've complaint but didn't). Room decor was okay. Not bad, but I would've expected more given what I paid (almost $400/night for the all inclusive), and considering the superb quality of other resorts I have stayed at for $300/night in Asia and other countries, even discounting for the all inclusive part.
- Not having free wifi sucks (even in the lobby area).
- Sorry but the beach was too rocky. It is pretty, but our kids didn't want to go in splashing after they hurt themselves with the rocks and hard sand. I was told that the Maya Beach had a better beach but we didn't try it
- With the exception of the concierge, I found the reception staff, bellboys etc to be generally a bit on on the curt side. I wouldn't say rude, but they were definitely not very welcoming. At checkin, It felt almost that they just wanted to hurry through their script as soon as possible, versus take the time to welcome the guests and answer our questions since we were with kids and first time at an all inclusive.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Barcelo, Tingo, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Barcelo Maya Colonial reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Colonial
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach Resort
- Barcelo Maya Caribe & Beach Resort
- Barcelo Maya Tropical & Colonial Beach
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Riviera Maya/Puerto Aventuras, Mexico