“Great Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Colonial to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Pickering
“Great Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

We spent a week at the Barcelo Colonial and absolutely loved it. There was my husband and I and three teenagers, age 17 - 21. We have travelled extensively but this was only our second time to Mexico. I was expecting a 4 star hotel and believe this resort was a good 4.5. The property is beautiful and we loved the beach. The buffets were reasonable for breakfast and lunch and we enjoyed all the Al la cart restaurants. We were able to sample 5 during our 7 day visit and the Japanesse by far, was the family pleaser.

We were looking for rest, relaxation, and sun and were not disappointed. It was quiet at night with only the disco generally opened past 11pm. The teenagers enjoyed the disco and went each night. They are very strict about entry to the disco. You must be 18. Needless to say, our 17 year had to get creative to get an adult bracklet.The resort is quite large because there are a number of Barcelo resorts and you can easily walk amongst the different resorts. For fun, you can take the trolley that goes to each of the different lobbies. If I was going again, I would likely stay at the Palace which is the newest resort and seemed a step up from the Colonial. Overall, this is a family resort with some amazing pool areas for young children. Not sure it would be the best place for young singles. Our only negative about this resort was the pillows. They were the hardest pillows we have ever slept on. We went with Transat holidays and it is also a bit of a jaunt to the resort...around 1.5 hours because the bus drops off at hotels along the way. We knew this from trip advisor so were prepared. At the end of the day, it was worth the bus ride.

In terms of things to do, we did a side trip to Playa De Carmen. The fith avenue shopping is fun with a mix of expensive and tacky stores. Also, my husband and son went to the ruins in Tulum and quite enjoyed it.

It is worth noting that on our return trip home, a number of people on our flight were charged for baggage in excess of 20KG. Many were paying $200 plus and insisted their luggage weighted the same as coming down. It seems that there could have been a scam taking place at the Air Transat counter (a contract company is likely running this). Passengers were following up upon our return to Toronto. Probably happended to 20 people so beware.

This was our first time at a Barcelo resort and will not be our last. Overall, a great time.

• Liked — Beautifully landscapped resort with clean and comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Very hard pillows
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,970 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Polish first
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

We stayed at the property from the 27th of December until the 3rd of January and without question were more than pleased with our trip.

We had a direct flight and arrived with no issues at the Cancun airport, breezed through customs and took a very long bus ride to the resort. It took the better part of 2 hours to get to the resort mainly due to construction and dropping off others at their respective hotels.

We arrived and check in literally took 5 minutes, our room was not ready but we had arrived prepared for this (we arrived at the hotel just after lunch) and the staff directed us to the buffet and to the beach while we waited to get into our room. Everything was ready on time and the only complaint I have about the room (6437) bottom floor was that is was freezing all the time. It didn't get any direct sunlight during the day and the cleaning staff constantly closed the curtains on me so the room was just never a comfortable temperature no matter how much I fiddled with the A/C.

The beach at this resort is stunning, the water is amazing and the snorkelling off the wharf is great. I advise going early in the morning, the water is less agitated resulting in increased visability for the countless species of fish, coral and turtles we saw while in the water. It also seemed their was more activity by the fish and such in the morning. Never an issue to get beach chairs or a little privacy. I loved too that when we were their the resort was full of people from all over the world and it was neat hearing the different languages and seeing the different cultures that were staying on the resort with us. This of course means that there were lots of topless women on the beach which is of no issue to me at all, in fact I think when in Rome, do as the Romans, but many people made comments threw dirty looks and generally were uncomfortable with it, so be advised that people might say something. I think if you don't like it, don't look :)

We didn't spend alot of time at the pools, there were alot of children on the resort and in spite of adult only pool claims kids were pretty much everywhere in every pool. Plus they weren't that wwarm when we did use them. The perk to the pool was the hammocks which were so nice to swing in for a nap in the afternoon.

The food at the buffet was great!! The spread at New Year's was incredible as was the service from the wait staff, everyone was friendly and efficient, I can't remember a day that my plate wasn't instantly whisked away or my glass empty

The resturants were just ok. We loved the seafood resturant it was 5 star food for sure, the steak house not so much and the same could be said for the Japanese, the food was just ok not bad but not great either. We didn't eat at any of the other resturants as we were more than happy at the buffet. Bar service was fantastic! Especially at the beach bar.

With that said the staff was exceptional all over the resort. They went out of their way to make our stay great. There was an issue with one of our tours that resulted in us being left behind, which made me really upset and I over reacted totally, the woman who looked after us made arrangements to get us to meet our tour and ensured they waited for us to get there, after I had yelled at her. That night she saw us at the buffet and am came up and asked how it went and if it worked out ok. I apologized over and over again for my behaviour and felt terrible because she treated us so well and was sincere in asking how our day trip went.
I've travelled alot and the staff at the Barcelo is the best I have every encountered.

We did a day trip to Coba and a Mayan village, it included zip lining and repelling into a cenote. My only complaint was that you felt pressured to buy the photo's they take of you on these day trips (this issue turned out to be universal for most of the tours) and I like to take my own pictures, I guess I would rather leave a donation than pay 45$ US dollars for 8 pictures. It should be noted you are not obligated to purchase these pictures.

We travelled to Sian Kaan and that was well worth the trip, we saw alot of wildlife including wild dolphins and turtles the tour company was terrible (and I wish I could remember the name) there was only 4 of us who spoke English and we were ingored on the trip. Our guide in the park who spoke a little English was three times the guide that the paid guides were, he told us what was going on and what we were doing, otherwise we would have had no clue as to what were we looking at, doing etc.

We also did a snorkell trip to Cozumel through the dive shop on the resort. Well worth the time and money! We saw so much sealife, the guides were great and we even saw sharks.. Very cool!

Over all FANTASTIC TIME IN MEXICO!

• Liked — The Staff and the Beach!
  • Disliked — The cold room... Brrrr...
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

We just returned from an 11 day, 10 night stay at the Barcelo Maya Colonial over Christmas 2008.

This was our second stay at the Barcelo in 15 months. In 2007, we stayed at the Barcelo Maya Tropical. The Tropical and Colonial are the mid-range of the 3 resorts that are all part of the same resort.

What drew us back to the Barcelo is beach. The beach at the Colonial and Tropical area of the resort is lovely, there are some rocks, but most of the beach is nice and sandy, and reasonably shallow for quite a ways out. There's a great coral reef right at the beach where you can snorkel. (I'd suggest brining your own snorkel gear - as the resort when it's busy does run out.) We saw lots of fish, and even sea turtles.

The food is good, but we like Mexican food and aren't that picky. Half our family is pesca-vegetarian (i.e.: They don't eat meat, but do eat fish.) and we had no issues, even being there for 10 days.

The beach and the food drew us back for a longer stay in 2008 than in 2007. We haven't stayed at any of the other resorts on the Mayan Riviera, but with the food being good and the beach being excellent, we decided not to risk going elsewhere. We had some friends that went at the same time in 2007 and they said the beach and food at their resorts were not so good

This time, we did not do any of the organized excursion tours. Last year we went to Chitcheniza, and it was amazing, but we didn't like the idea of getting up at 6AM on our vacation, so instead we slept in and took taxis to Xel-Ha and Hidden Worlds. Both of those places were within a US$25 taxi ride each way. (And, I probably paid a few dollars more than I should have, but it was Christmas!) We got to go when we wanted to and leave when we wanted to. And, we even saved some money because the tour packages cost $40 per person more for transporation. If you plan to go to those places, book your tickets online before you go and even save a few more bucks!

There was no shortage of things to do on the resort, during the day and at night, the evening shows were pretty good, too.

• Liked — The Beach!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

This is the most relaxing and enjoyable holiday we have had in Mexico so far. We would return to this resort in a flash.

Premium Club - Fabulous, Room 6607 - Wonderful, Staff.Service - Fantastic, Food/Beverages - Awesome, Pool/Beach - Perfect.

We wanted R&R and we got it. We would highly recommend the Premium upgrade as we found these little extras made a huge difference.

• Liked — Loved Everything!!
  • Disliked — Tourists who are rude and unappreciative to staff!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Grande Prairie, AB, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

Great stay!
Very clean, great food, great staff!!!!! If your looking for a relaxing vacation come here. Great attention to detail. My only complaint is it is a very large resort and there is a lot of walking to do, though it is all wheel chair accessible.

• Liked — Food, drinks, cleanliness
  • Disliked — A lot of walking
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
joliet,illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

Me and my family just returned from the Barcelo Colonial, we stayed there from Dec 5 thru Dec 11, with 2 kids ages 11 and 6.

Location: The hotel is approximately 20 minutes from Playa Del Carmen. The trip from the airport took approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. A couple of stops by Best Day travel at other hotels.

Grounds: The grounds are lovely, well maintained and surrounded by water pools. The hotel has it's own shopping center and the deals are comparable with the deals in Playa Del Carmen. The lobby is beautiful and various statues on the grounds make for great pictures. The hotel has an 18 hole mini golf, bring plenty of bug repellant. You will get eaten alive without it, also during the night.

Room: The hotel is divided into the Caribe which is the lower budget hotel, Colonial/Tropical - Medium budget, and the Palace which is the higher budget. Most rooms do not have a ocean view even for the suites. The rooms were well maintained, kind of small for (4) people. The bathrooms are very nice, except they could use a better vent system. The beds were comfortable. If you get the double beds, they are full beds, so they are small. My son slept on the sofa in the room and was very comfortable. The rooms were acceptable from that standpoint. The mini fridges are stocked daily with water, pop and Modelo. Snacks sometimes.

Weather: It did not rain on our trip. The weather averaged 82 C.

Pools: The swimming pools are huge. Plenty of seating and cabanas, very pretty. However, the pools were very very cold so not that many people were in the pools on most days. However, the kids Barcy Park pool was awesome and kids normally played there.

Beach: The beach is also very huge and surrounded by palm trees. No problem finding sitting. Beware of the some nudity, but not that bad. BEWARE - BRING WATER SHOES - The entrance into the water is very rocky with loose coral. Watch your step throughout because of the loose rocks. Water shoes will work just fine. There is a pier where you can snorkel and feed the fish, very nice.

Services : Services were not that special and I was disappointed. For the pool area, you go and get your own drinks and because of the size of the pools it can be a good walk for a drink. Servers in the restaurants were friendly, but not very attentive and Yes we tipped, but it didn't seem to make a difference. The staff throughout the grounds however always spoke and had a smile on their faces.

Food: The buffets were very disappointing. The food quality was okay, however, it was hit or miss each day. The food was either cold or over cooked, or something from one of the specialty diners. If you can eat at the specialty places do so. The steak house was average, the Japense place was above average, it took awhile because of the presentation, but it was worth it. We enjoyed the Italian place the best. Didn't go to the Mexican or Fish places because they normally were on the lunch and dinner buffet menus. Two different buffet places near the beach and pools, but again the food was cold unless you ordered at the grill and they made it in front of you.

Entertainment: Nightly entertainment at 9:30 was average. I've seen better shows, but it was entertainment. I did not go to the disco. The hotel provides supplement entertainment in the shopping plaza on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays at 6:30 p.m. which encouraged audience participation and was very fun.

Excursions: Tips - You are close to Xacret and Xel-Ha, taxis may save you a few books. Best Day Travel quoted a Tulum express package at $79 per person for a 4 hour excursion. I booked it thru the hotel for $38 per person, so shop around.

Overall Assessment: My family and I have traveled several times to the Riviera Maya. The hotel of similar quality was the the Catalonia in Puerto Adventuras. If the Catalonia had better rooms and better beds it would be a 5 - Star Hotel. I would agree with the assement of this Hotel as 3.5 star rating. It was not great, but it was not bad. It was average. I was hoping for more, but we had a good time. However, for a vacation you want a great time.

• Liked — Read Review
  • Disliked — Read Review
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

We very much enjoyed our vacation at the Barcelo Colonial Beach. Everything that you read is right on - the restaurants are quite enjoyable, the buffet has great variety (omelette station and lots of fresh fruit were a great way to start my day), and the snack bars/grills are acceptable (if you really need to eat when the buffets/ restaurants are not open). We enjoyed the pools for our 2.5 year old (he loved the slides) and the beach was perfect as well. We played Mini-Golf every morning (the girl running the mini-golf was one of the friendliest people we have ever met)...bring bug spray for the mini golf.
We loved the theatre shows. they start at 9:30 which was a little late for our 2.5 year old, but we just put him in his jammies and brought a blanket from the room to wrap him in - he was usually asleep by 9:45 - beware the theatre is very loud. Our only complaint about the hotel was the noise from the theatre. The first room we were in was about 25 yards from the theatre. This was terrible for trying to get our son to sleep the first night (or any light sleeper). We moved to the other side of the hotel away from the theatre on the 2nd day and all was fine. We suggest if you are staying with little ones or light sleepers you make sure you get a room away from the theatre. Our son really enjoyed the nightly kids Mini Disco that happened every night at the theatre stage at about 8 PM - they gave balloons to the kids and let them play on stage for a while until one of the staff members would start a dancing event with the kids which lasted right until the theatre show. The shows were exceptional for an all-inclusive - don't miss Pre-Spanish Mexico or the Broadway night - you will not be disappointed.
Japanese restaurant was as good as any Benihana show - great food, great show!

• Liked — Staff is very friends & Theatre shows were quite enjoyable
  • Disliked — Theatre shows - exceptionally loud
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!