“Nice but needed something......” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Colonial to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
ofallon
“Nice but needed something......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

This hotel has 3 hotels on the same property. Although it is separated by price as the most expensive, middle and cheaper, all are very nice. We stayed in the middle priced hotel. Food and entertainment and pool was awesome. You can go and see the other hotels and see their shows for free and you can eat and any hotels "lower" than the one you are in. The beach is beautiful throughout the whole resort and towards the Palace (the more expensive one) has a coral area and the fish are amazing. If you do anything there I would recommend the Segway tour that you get of the hotel. It takes you throughout the entire place and tells you interesting things about the entire property. I would not swim with the dolphins there, the pool is so small it seems inhuman to put dolphins in there and then ask them to do tricks.
The only bad thing I can honestly say about this hotel is that all liquor is INCLUDED. BUT they will try and give you the cheap stuff even after you ask. I understand why they would try and give the cheap alcohol, but not if you specifically asked for higher end alcohol. SEND IT BACK, they get the hint and then they remember not to try and sneak it in. They do not provide better service if you tip them, so hold on to you tips, its sad to say, but sooo true.
The hotel was doing renovation on the cheaper end and the kids clubs (for my aged kids) were closed and not relocated, so that was a shock because that is all our travel agent talked about was the kids clubs there.
Also everything pretty much closes down around 6pm, then there is NOTHING to do until 9:30pm, even the outside table tennis and basketball courts close, so it was hard to keep kids entertained during this long span of time

Room Tip: Don't stay by the theater, the shows start at 9:30pm and are so loud that if you room is near th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical staff involved in your satisfaction. We are sure you will enjoy the new surprising services for all ages that Barceló Hotels is preparing for you! Also let us comment that during the afternoon at Plaza Mexicana we present a Mayan, a Carnaval and a Mexican Party including a new show for kids!
We are sure the next time you visit us, all your family will have a new adventure to tell!!
The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Polish first
Burke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I think Barcelo resort had everything we needed in our first family vacation in Mexico. They exceeded our expectations. The only extra stuff that we had to do outside the resort was visiting Tulum. Hotel Barcelo Colonial in my opinion has the best white sand beach on the 5 Barcelo hotels resort. We enjoyed the friendly staff and cleanliness of the restaurants. The Italian restaurant was the best. Although we loved the beach we spent few hours in the pool and enjoyed drinking by the pool bar. The pools are so large that you do not feel the crowd. Also, the staff were constantly working to keep it clean. The rooms are comfortable and the cleaning staff were excellent. What an organisation. I had never scene such energetic staff in all my hotel stays around the world. They were all friendly and constantly working to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. We will definitely be back soon and if we ever decide on visiting other countries in the Caribbean we will start with Barcelo Hotels and resorts.

Room Tip: The room wasn't a beach front room and we didn't ask for one or cared to stay in the room...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical staff involved in your entire satisfaction. We are sure you will enjoy the new surprising restaurants that Barceló Hotels is preparing for you!
leuparaleu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Overall a good vacation but ....small things make the difference. The room (6636) was excellent but the mattresses not as expected ; the bathroom excellent and clean but two soap dispensers were broken ( we complain three days in a row but without any success )
The restaurant and the food is excellent .I was impressed how the waiters are moving . They are working really hard.Do not hesitate to tip them .They deserve it.
But ... the Japanese one was a fiasco ( messed up the order ,the drinks and food) In order to avoid our experience make sure you ask for the table where the cook prepare the food right in front of you.There is different.
The pool is nice ,the bar v good. The beach would be excellent without those big rocks in the water. You could see all kind fishes as you jump in the water( even stingrays....!!!)
The entertainment on the beach or pool I would mark it 2 out of 5 or less
The shows are very good ( you can go to Palace where is A/C )
In order to have WiFi you have to pay ( a bit pricey : 50 bucks for a week for one device) I would include this one in the overall price.
The most stupid things are those $3000 coupons which you get at the check in but they are good for nothing.
The dolphin show is good to be seen.
We use Colectivo ( their public transportation) to visit Tulum) ,It is safe .There is A/C as well.
We use taxi one day to go to Akumal ( $40 one way for five people).The driver is willing to wait for you 3 or 4 hour ,at no extra charge, to ride you back.It Is safe
As a conclusion I would recommend this resort .

Dear guest,
Barcelo Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel works for the total satisfaction of our customers and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay.
We regret you have had problems during your stay. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.
We hope to see you soon in our establishment and to offer the new restaurant we are preparing for you!
Best regards
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

This is a beautiful resort in a beautiful area (Riviera Maya), but as beautiful as the property is, the level of service at this resort makes it impossible for me to recommend the resort. The level of service here just does not compare with any of the many other similar resorts (Iberostar, RUI, Catalonia, Dreams, BlueBay, Grand Palladium, Sandos, ....) in the area that offer much better service along with a beautiful property.

We just returned from a week at this resort, and while I won't say the staff ruined our vacation (I wouldn't let myself not enjoy it!), the staff (especially the front desk) certainly did everything they could to make things less than enjoyable. They clearly didn't care one bit about their customers’ concerns. If you're interested in the full details, here goes...

- When we got to the resort we were told there was no reservation for us. After several minutes talking with the people a Barcelo Maya Tropical, we found out that our reservation had been switched to another BM resort (Colonial) without our knowledge or approval, and no, this was not an upgrade. Thankfully our transfer company (USA Transfers) had stuck around until everything was fully taken care of, and they repacked the van (6 of us) and took us to the other resort. (Thanks also to the transfer company on taking the initiative to assure our pickup at the end of the week was from the right resort. Thankfully the transfer company's service was significantly better than the hotel's.) Just a minor irritation so far…

- We'd booked three rooms for ourselves and our teenage children, and specifically asked in the reservation that the rooms be adjoining. Not only were they not adjoining, they were not even in the same building. (Would anyone feel safe going to a foreign country and having their 13 and 14 year old sleeping in a separate building?!!!) After another half hour of checkin delays (in addition to being sent to a separate Barcelo resort) they finally agreed to put us all in at least the same building, though spread across various floors. Throughout the week we asked numerous times to have this fixed (have rooms at least on the same floor of the same building) and were continually told that they were at capacity so no changes could be made.

- On the first night we were there, people suddenly walked into our room right as we were in the middle of getting dressed for dinner. My wife was not fully dressed at the time and was incredibly embarrassed. I immediately called the front desk and was told "We'll take care of it". I asked several times what "We'll take care of it" meant, but could get no further explanation nor clarification. Calling our kids rooms, we found out that our sons had had a similar issue, though at least not while changing clothes.

- Once we returned from dinner that evening we found out what "We'll take care of it" meant. The front desk had erased all keys for the room (including ours), and we could no longer get into our own room. After a long walk to the front desk (this place is giant), we were told that their computer system was down, and that they could not reissue any key cards until the next morning. If we'd go back to our room and stand outside for a while someone would come by with a master key and let us in. We asked how we could get back in later in the evening if we went out to the show or anything else, and were told we'd need to come up to the front desk each time we wanted in and ask for someone to meet us at the room.

- They then explained that a short power glitch (all lights in the resort had gone out) had wiped out all reservation info on the computers for that day, so they didn't know what rooms had been assigned to people and which were still open. Apparently, following the glitch they had then just handed out room keys for any rooms that had been empty earlier in the day, hoping the rooms were still open. I asked why they hadn’t at least sent a staff member to first to verify that rooms were empty before giving out keys to new people and they said they didn't have staff for that. Seriously?!?! They were giving out rooms to second sets of people and then just waiting to see who came back to complain, and having someone walk in on my wife and I was considered acceptable to them!!! I'm not generally spiteful, but hopefully someone lost their job over this asinine decision. Clearly the person behind this not someone suited to be in any kind of decision making position.

- At this point we were frustrated enough that we asked for our money back for the rest of the week, hoping to find an acceptably run resort nearby, but were told that once a reservation was booked it could not be refunded. We asked if we could at least get one night's credit following all of the issues of this first day, and were told no. We asked if we could at least have a manager contact us in the morning, and were told one would. No one ever did. The next morning, when we were finally able to get new key cards made, we again asked to speak to a manager and again were told none was available.

Through all of these changes we were never able to speak to a manager. Although we asked numerous times to speak to a manager we were told every time that none was available, and we never did get a follow up call from one. The front desk's only concern seemed to be to get people to go away as quickly as possible and to get to the next person waiting in line, never to actually resolve issues. At no point did they make any significant effort to resolve any of our issues, nor to even offer something as a way of making up for the issues they'd caused. (Something as simple as a bottle of champagne, even at an all-inclusive, sent to the room as an apologetic symbol could have made a big difference!) I'm a pretty mellow guy so maybe being a bit more boisterous and pushy to the staff would have given better results, but would you really want to have to fight battles every day on vacation? I'd reached my max level of frustration and finally just accepted that this place sucked and that it was up to me to make the best of it for the week.

- As for staff beyond the front desk, the bar staff seems to have a similar "who cares" attitude toward customer service. On the first day we were there we were shocked to hear a bartender loudly snap "We're closed" at a customer. We assumed the customer was probably drinking too much and being obnoxious (we've probably all seen the obnoxious drunk that won't accept closing time), but to hear the bartender snapping at a customer at a resort was a bit of a surprise. Ten minutes later though I looked at the time and realized even then it was not yet closing time. The pool bars have a sign saying that they are open till 7:00, and even at that point it was still not yet 7:00. The next day I remembered what I'd seen the day before, so walked up to the bar around 6:45 to assure we could get a last round of drinks before closing, but was told the bar was already closed. When I looked at my watch and mentioned it was actually just 6:42 the bartender checked the time on his cellphone (you'll see them often on their phones instead of serving customers), and smiled and offered to pour a beer, though said that other drinks were all done for the day. Of all the customer service nightmares I saw at this resort, to me this was the weirdest. They could post on their sign that closing time was whatever time they want (6:30, 6:00, 5:00, whatever). By closing earlier than the sign says all they do is piss customers off. Why not just change the sign to say 6:30, or 6:00 and then exceed expectations when you actually close at 6:35? This made absolutely no since to me as I watched it happen every day for a week. And then to be rude to patrons on top of it???

- Minor item of note – unlike many other resorts in the area there is no beach bar. If you’re on the beach you’ll need to walk up to the pool bar any time you want anything. And be ready for a significant wait in line.

- Another minor beach nuisance to be aware of - on multiple days BM booted people from large sections of the beach as they set up for other events (weddings/receptions, romantic dinners, etc.). I understand that they want to make some extra bucks on these activities, but it could certainly be handled in a more respectful manner for paying guests. Having a set area that they always do this in (on different days they booted people from different areas), or simply posting a sign in an area (ex: at 2:00PM today this section will close) would be nice. At the very least having a customer service focused person handling it would be nice. Instead it was maintenance people (not multi-lingual) trying to make people move, with people completely unclear as to why they were even getting booted. And then trying to find a new set of chairs for a group of people somewhere else along the beach at mid day is a real headache. This is especially a headache if you have teens in the water and/or other places during the day and they all then come back hoping to meet up in an area that is now emptied out.

- One last beach thing to be aware of is that you need to be very careful when swimming/snorkeling. They have swimming areas well marked with buoys and ropes, but I was amazed at one point to have a jet ski wiz past me as I was in the water. Thinking it was at least an inexperienced person renting a jet ski I was surprised to see it was actually two staff members, one with a lifeguard shirt, that had just cut through the swimming area on a jet ski. Later in the week we did see someone being taken out of the water by lifeguard staff. I'm not sure if it was due to a similar jet ski incident our some other issue, but if they keep this up they will certainly have injuries/fatalities at some point.

- Lastly, be aware that security staffing here appears much lower than at any of the other hotels we've stayed at. One night we saw a group of very loud, degenerate teens throwing lounge chairs into the swimming pool for several minutes, but even in this most public area at a reasonable (11:00ish) time of night, no security appeared. The only place the entire week where I recall seeing anyone in attire marked as security was at the Disco.

All in all we still managed to have a fun vacation. You're in Riviera Maya, so if you can't find a way to enjoy the week, regardless of the service, that's your own problem. That said, as a person who's stayed at many of the other nearby resorts in recent years, unless this resort is hundreds of dollars cheaper per person than any of the other resorts in the area you'll definitely want to spend your hard earned money at one of the many other similarly priced, yet much more customer focused, resorts in the area.

Dear guest,
First of all we apologize for not having success with your expectations. It is very important to us to take care of every single detail, every request and service is very important so I regret you have had problems during your stay.
Let me comment that Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical are the same category Hotels; including rates, type of rooms and services. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.

We really hope to see you soon in our establishment and to offer the real service of Barcelo.

Brooklyn New York, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for three nights in mid-July. We had a perfectly nice time. The beach and ocean along the Mayan Riviera are pretty much Eden. And the resort itself was fine, but a bit little rough around the edges. For instance, the paint on our room’s walls was faded with age, the ceiling fan squeaked, and in the bathroom the toilet paper holder was broken and the little pedal trashcan was rusted shut. The night we arrived our room had been prepared but our pillows were missing their pillowcases and it took a huge multi-hour effort for this small problem to be solved. The staff was civil, but indifferent in a way that indicated that they would rather be working at the resort down the road.

Renovations were under way in a fenced off-quester of the resort, so perhaps the place is getting an upgrade.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your stay at our hotel in Tripadvisor network.
Your recommendations have been analyzed with our departments of maintenance and housekeeping in order to improve every day our rooms.
We hope to see you soon at Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel!
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Life of the rich and famous.
Beach, pool and drinks all day. Food is out of this world. Service and people are friendly, courteous and fun. We had the time of our life. To good to be true.
You get your money's worth. Everything is on site, no need to go anywhere else.
LOVED IT.

Room Tip: Not to close to the pools and show place, if you want to sleep late in the morning or early at nigh...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial - Tropical staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
If you need more information for activities or recomendations please let us know, it will be our pleasure to help.
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

First I would like to apologize to Motel 6 for the insult. I just returned from the Barcelo Maya where my family stayed for a week. It is not the place to go if you are traveling with teens or older children. There is not much for the older kids to do. They are too old for the kids club and too young for Jaguars.
Check in in was a nightmare. it took forever and then we find out that we were given two rooms with 1 king size bed in each room(two beds for a family of five). The family checking in next to me was given the same setup. They tried to tell me that nothing is guaranteed when I said I booked 2 rooms with 2 beds each. Finally we were give One room with two beds and one with a king bed. Then it turns out the the air conditioner is not working in the second room. Someone came to fix it and all seemed OK. Throughout the night the AC was loudly cycling on and off- without cooling the room. Finally at 2 pm the next day they were able to get us a different room- after I had wasted a day walking up to the front desk to take care of this- nobody answers the telephone there. The beds are rock hard. The sheets on our beds had black stains on them. The ceiling fan in one room was so wobbly we could not use it out fear of decapitation. There were not enough life jackets at the equipment check out area. The beach bar was constantly running out of ice( when you could get close enough to order a drink). The food in the buffets was average at best( our best meals on the trip were in the jungle on two excursions we took). Dont waste your time and money on the dolphin show on site- for about the same price you can get much more interaction with the dolphins on one of the off site excursions.
The saving grace for us was the staff. They worked their rear ends off while we were there. Unfortunately, they seem to be getting hosed worse than the guests.

I could go on an on. No real major issues. Individually, they could have been dealt with. When added together, they became a major issue.Needless to say, I will never stay at another Barcelo property or use Cheapcarribean.com. I should have known better than to expect anything from a company with cheap in its name.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear guest,
We regret you have had problems during your stay. Let us comment that the complex has available rooms with two double beds only and we offer a sofa bed if you reserve for 5 people. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.
We hope to see you soon in our establishment and to offer the real service of Barcelo.
Best regards

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!