“clogged sink” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Colonial to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Calgary, Canada
“clogged sink”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

we just stayed at this resort-july 2014. we were booked in the barcelo maya tropical and they moved us to the barcelo maya colonial. we asked the front desk why and he said they are exactly the same sister resort. the beach and resort itself was nice and clean. the room we stayed in was clean but the sink was clogged and leaked all over the floor for the entire time. the beds were hard. out of the ten the restaurants and buffet were about a seven. most of the staff were unfriendly. the beach, ocean and grounds very tropical and beautiful , pools clean, snorkelling average. they also have a doctor on call 24 hours, which was a plus for the resort just in case of an emergency. my kid ended up consulting with the doctor and he had a TERRIBLE bedside manner-didn't seem like he enjoyed his profession at all.
I think I would come back to the caribbean side and try another hotel. also some of the staff at the front desk were rude

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we want to thank you for your last visit to Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel.

Your comments have been reviewed with the staff in order to improve the attention to every single guest that we have the pleasure to host.
We regret any inconvenience during your stay and it will be a pleasure to show you the real service on your next visit.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

The resort was beautiful... The staff were unfriendly and the all inclusive wasn't truly inclusive. You had to pay $25 extra per day to get "mid level" liquor. The biggest issue was the staff and not feeling welcome. I will not stay at this resort in the future.

Stayed June 2014
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear guest,

The open bar is generally well accepted by our guests but we want to let you know that we have took your comments for better service.

Beeton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed at this resort two years ago and their sister resort in the same complex, Maya Beach 8 times in the last 10 years. Always consistent, spotlessly clean, warm friendly staff and great food. Beach is terrific and pools as well. Have spoken to other guests who have stated this is the best resort they have stayed at of all the ones they have gone to in the Mayan Rivera.

When we celebrated our 35th anniversary , they found out on check in and graciously gave us an upgrade at no charge. Cannot ask for better customer focus than what they deliver. The Barcelo chain, and this resort complex in particular, is everything you would ask for and more.

We will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary in April 2015 and have decided to go back to the Colonial. As this is a big event for us, we want to make sure everything will go well, and the Colonial , we are positive, will deliver. I know what to expect at this resort and have never been disappointed.

Keith & Renee Harrison
Ontario,
Canada

Room Tip: As this resort complex is quite large, try to book a room closer to the beach and save the walking.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear Keith H.

We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

The main goal of Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want you to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back.

Warmest Regards to Beeton, Canadá.

Barceló Maya Tropical
gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My husband and I visited Barcelo Maya Colonial in Rivera Maya, Mexico in 2010 for our honeymoon vacation. What a fabulous trip and a gorgeous resort! WOW! It was so much more than I expected. Beautiful, tropical, luscious vegetation complete with it's own white sandy beach, multiple large pools with swim up bars, a beautiful lobby, nice rooms and what attentive staff! The ONLY downfall is the food at the buffet - it could use some seasoning, c'mon! The food at the restaurants for dinner is good so that made up for it. It is all inclusive so the stay included unlimited food and drinks. The room was nice, outdoor patio, great large walk in shower, and an average bed. Everything at the resort is impeccably clean and well kept. Beautiful location! I would certainly visit again!

Room Tip: We had a junior suite.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your stay at our hotel in Tripadvisor network. Your recommendations have been analyzed with our Executive Chef. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.
We hope to see you soon in our establishment... may be for your anniversary? :)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Poor service. Noisy construction. Only 4 a la carte reservations per week in dinners. Wines are extra cost. Food is average. No room service included. Last year we stayed at the Iberostar paradise beach, cheaper and a lot better.... way better. We are at the reception waiting for another room in spite of asking for it since yesterday. They seem not to care. Take the Iberostar, the Riu or the Catalonia.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for letting us your comments which helps us to improve our services.
It is very important to us to follow and program every request of our guests. We are sure that despite the high occupancy that we have we are able to accomplish your wishes.
We remain to your service.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have travelled extensively in the Caribbean, this was my first trip to Mexico, and I had reservations, but it really surpassed my expectations.
The resort at Barcelo Maya Colonial was CLEAN and very well maintained. I judge everywhere, by the condition and cleanliness of the common areas and I was very surprised to find the resort so well kept!
Food: excellent variety, I only went to the buffet and was very happy with the food. There were carving stations, quesadilla chefs, and pasta chefs at every dinner. There was an amazing selection of fresh fruit salads and vegetables and pasta dishes. You could have chosen meat like beef, chicken, or pork or fish like Mahi Mahi, tilapia, sea bass, or flounder each night. Everything was at the correct temperature, either hot or cold, and fresh. The servers were friendly and seating was easy, views of the gardens and fountains are everywhere. My only complaint was that lunch and dinner were very much the same.
The Bar: drinks were part of the deal, and I sampled almost every kind. The bartenders worked very hard at the swim up bar to get everyone served quickly. There were two or three guys serving at peak hours, and I never had to wait long. The liquor is not too shelf, but they have too shelf if you ask and tip them. I don't mind tipping, I appreciate service and understand that. I would leave $5 every couple hours I was at the pool, and considering I may have had 10 drinks (Welcome to Mexico) I was fine with it. I drank Bahama Mamas mostly and margaritas, occasionally I had a cervesa.
The Beach: amazing beach! The sand was soft and white, with pink streaks...the water was fabulous! Turquoise and warm, calm and relaxing. There is a bit of coral underfoot in some areas that you need to be aware of, it's not sharp but can surprise you. Also if waves do occur, you would not want to body surf head first into the coral! I snorkeled with my own equipment and there was a nice assortment of colorful marine life. Go to the far right off the dock for the best snorkel experience and bring a bag of Doritos for the fish. The beach was peaceful and relaxing, no one hounding you to buy stuff, and there were copious lounge chairs and plenty of palms for shade.
The Room: I had a garden room, by choice and it was ok, not great. It was clean but smelled of mildew. I complained and they responded with housekeeping immediately cleaning the room again, which helped, and was advised to run the AC all the time which helped too. There is a fully stocked fridge with drinks like soda, juice, water, and beer. It's free too. The beds were ok. No real complaints. I wasn't in the room much anyways, so it didn't matter too much.
The Front Desk: Nice but sometimes slow and understaffed. The manager, Jessica, was very helpful. I had complained nicely about the mildew, and also that the phone in the room did not work. She responded promptly, and for my inconvenience provided me with a complimentary week of WiFi, and I found a bottle of sparkling wine in my room with fresh fruit the next day. Very nice!
The Entertainment: the poolside stuff was excellent from the dancing, water aerobics, and water polo to the fashion shows...all fun!! At night the Palladium is where everyone goes, otherwise it's quiet around the resort. This is most definitely a family resort! ;)
Overall: a really great value! I spent $2,048 for two adults for five days and I had six days on the beach and at the resort with the way the flights worked, got in early to Mexico...I will go back!
**** of 5
Also get the RT transfer with Amstar, and book through Cheap Caribbean!
Good luck, thanks for reading and Happy Safe Travels!!
MichelleK :))

• Stayed July 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your stay at our hotel in Tripadvisor network. We are pleased that we have met your expectations regarding our services.
Your recommendations have been analyzed with our Executive Chef and the Food & Beverage Management; We are sure that the staff will be very pleased to welcome you again.
Please please do not feed fishes with Doritos :) try with the special food that we have for them :) thank you!!
We hope to see you soon at Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel!
Best regards!
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from the Barceló Maya Colonial, and what an experience it was! He is well-travelled, but this was my first big trip, and it couldnt have been a nicer time. The lobby took my breath away, and the check-in guy was excellent. The room was standard, but we didn't spend a lot of time in there anyway and we did have complimentary tequila, anise and grapes waiting for us. Our AC worked fine, thank God, as the minute you step out of the room the humidity hits you like a wall! (I sweated all week unless we were in the room, the buffet or the 24-hour lobby bar.) The beach was exactly like a postcard...white sands, turquoise waters, palm trees and the water features and pools were beautiful. They keep the entire resort in immaculate condition. I cannot say enough about the staff...oh sure there was the odd one who looked like they would rather be playing like the tourists were, but for the most part they practically trip over themselves to please you! Always smiling, and they always greet you with Ola whether you are being waited on, in the halls or at the beach. VERY friendly people. Tipping is optional, but we always did, and the amount depended on the level of service. Our balcony did face the construction of the new addition to the resort, but once the door was closed, and in the evenings, it was quiet except for the tropical birds which was wonderful. We were there for 1 week and even though we were a bit sad to leave, that really was long enough. We highly recommend this resort, whether you are a family, couple, or whatever. Thank you for some wonderful memories, Barceló and staff!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial - Tropical staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
We look forward to welcome you back soon. We are sure there is more of this beautiful paradise that you can enjoy!
Best regards!
The Management

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!