“Excellent VALUE.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Colonial to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“Excellent VALUE.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I have travelled extensively in the Caribbean, this was my first trip to Mexico, and I had reservations, but it really surpassed my expectations.
The resort at Barcelo Maya Colonial was CLEAN and very well maintained. I judge everywhere, by the condition and cleanliness of the common areas and I was very surprised to find the resort so well kept!
Food: excellent variety, I only went to the buffet and was very happy with the food. There were carving stations, quesadilla chefs, and pasta chefs at every dinner. There was an amazing selection of fresh fruit salads and vegetables and pasta dishes. You could have chosen meat like beef, chicken, or pork or fish like Mahi Mahi, tilapia, sea bass, or flounder each night. Everything was at the correct temperature, either hot or cold, and fresh. The servers were friendly and seating was easy, views of the gardens and fountains are everywhere. My only complaint was that lunch and dinner were very much the same.
The Bar: drinks were part of the deal, and I sampled almost every kind. The bartenders worked very hard at the swim up bar to get everyone served quickly. There were two or three guys serving at peak hours, and I never had to wait long. The liquor is not too shelf, but they have too shelf if you ask and tip them. I don't mind tipping, I appreciate service and understand that. I would leave $5 every couple hours I was at the pool, and considering I may have had 10 drinks (Welcome to Mexico) I was fine with it. I drank Bahama Mamas mostly and margaritas, occasionally I had a cervesa.
The Beach: amazing beach! The sand was soft and white, with pink streaks...the water was fabulous! Turquoise and warm, calm and relaxing. There is a bit of coral underfoot in some areas that you need to be aware of, it's not sharp but can surprise you. Also if waves do occur, you would not want to body surf head first into the coral! I snorkeled with my own equipment and there was a nice assortment of colorful marine life. Go to the far right off the dock for the best snorkel experience and bring a bag of Doritos for the fish. The beach was peaceful and relaxing, no one hounding you to buy stuff, and there were copious lounge chairs and plenty of palms for shade.
The Room: I had a garden room, by choice and it was ok, not great. It was clean but smelled of mildew. I complained and they responded with housekeeping immediately cleaning the room again, which helped, and was advised to run the AC all the time which helped too. There is a fully stocked fridge with drinks like soda, juice, water, and beer. It's free too. The beds were ok. No real complaints. I wasn't in the room much anyways, so it didn't matter too much.
The Front Desk: Nice but sometimes slow and understaffed. The manager, Jessica, was very helpful. I had complained nicely about the mildew, and also that the phone in the room did not work. She responded promptly, and for my inconvenience provided me with a complimentary week of WiFi, and I found a bottle of sparkling wine in my room with fresh fruit the next day. Very nice!
The Entertainment: the poolside stuff was excellent from the dancing, water aerobics, and water polo to the fashion shows...all fun!! At night the Palladium is where everyone goes, otherwise it's quiet around the resort. This is most definitely a family resort! ;)
Overall: a really great value! I spent $2,048 for two adults for five days and I had six days on the beach and at the resort with the way the flights worked, got in early to Mexico...I will go back!
**** of 5
Also get the RT transfer with Amstar, and book through Cheap Caribbean!
Good luck, thanks for reading and Happy Safe Travels!!
MichelleK :))

• Stayed July 2014

1,934 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My boyfriend and I just returned from the Barceló Maya Colonial, and what an experience it was! He is well-travelled, but this was my first big trip, and it couldnt have been a nicer time. The lobby took my breath away, and the check-in guy was excellent. The room was standard, but we didn't spend a lot of time in there anyway and we did have complimentary tequila, anise and grapes waiting for us. Our AC worked fine, thank God, as the minute you step out of the room the humidity hits you like a wall! (I sweated all week unless we were in the room, the buffet or the 24-hour lobby bar.) The beach was exactly like a postcard...white sands, turquoise waters, palm trees and the water features and pools were beautiful. They keep the entire resort in immaculate condition. I cannot say enough about the staff...oh sure there was the odd one who looked like they would rather be playing like the tourists were, but for the most part they practically trip over themselves to please you! Always smiling, and they always greet you with Ola whether you are being waited on, in the halls or at the beach. VERY friendly people. Tipping is optional, but we always did, and the amount depended on the level of service. Our balcony did face the construction of the new addition to the resort, but once the door was closed, and in the evenings, it was quiet except for the tropical birds which was wonderful. We were there for 1 week and even though we were a bit sad to leave, that really was long enough. We highly recommend this resort, whether you are a family, couple, or whatever. Thank you for some wonderful memories, Barceló and staff!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Chelsea, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

First - I have been to Cancun and the Riviera Maya many times and this year marks my 30th year visiting Mexico. My 1st trip to the Barcelo Tropical was the week of June 1st 2013 and I recently stayed the week of June 15th 2014 at the Colonial. Last year was a "rain soaked" trip and we had very little sun. But, here's an overview of both trips.

Pluses: 1. In 2013, my building was just behind the soccer field and was a garden view 2nd floor. It was lush, quiet, and the room was very nice. A long walk to the beach every day but was excellent exercise. No issues, and maid service kept it very nice, bed was very comfortable, fresh towels daily, etc.. 2. I love to eat and found this resort had a very good variety of foods, and made-to-order items. The key to good food is Hot, and "all" hot food items in the Buffett restaurant were not warm, but HOT, as I like it. I am very gratful to the chef and managment team. The 4 & 5 Star Resorts I have stayed the past 4-5 years in the Hotel Zone did not ensure hot food and I was very disappointed and complained to the chef and mgt. But Barcelo did well. The staff and waiters were very friendly. And, I visited the Santa Fe restaurant last year and this year, and got the rib eye and the touches, Service was great. I found the buffet waiters and staff working hard and I usually did not have to wait long to have my drink or coffee refilled. And, I visited the bar areas by the pool and the tikki hut restaurants near the pools, and they always had a good variety of hot foods, salads, cold cuts, tec. Once again, this says a lot about the managmenet team. Great job. 3. This year I stayed at the Colonial and my room was just behind the check-in area, quicker walk to the buffett, beach, and checkout. My maid service was excellent, and had a 1st floor garden view room which was lush and tropical. They refilled my minibar daily, had lots of beer, soda, aqua, etc... Everything was excellent. Also this year, I did not have a long wait time at check-in, it went quickly, and I was in my room before knew it. 4. This year I stepped out of the box and bought a day tour to Tulum and Coba. The Lomas Agent (just behind the check-in area) was very professional, didn't pressure me, and gave me good advice. I've been to Tulum many times but not Coba, and was exhausted at the end of the day, lots of walking in Tulum and Coba. And, the mini-bus driver had lots of cold fluids for the day, beer, soda, water. Plus, we went to a quaint restaurant in Coba and had a nice buffet lunch. A perfect day with nice tour guides. It only took about 25-35 min. to get to Tulum and highly recommend it if you love history. Renting a car gives you more off-site freedom and you can venture out, see the sites on your own. My tour cost was $102 for the day and well worth it. If I had to rent a car, pay the entrance fees, buy my lunch, refill gas, etc., it would have been way over $102.

5. This year I found the beach less crowded and stayed in the front of the Colonial Beach and the Maya Beach area (far right side of the horseshoe) vs. the pool. The surf is calmer there, less people, and a great place to read a book under the palms which I did. The only complaint I had last year, was the pool area. It seems the majority of hotels in Cancun have resorted to loud speakers, young hip-hop staff yelling into microphones, and the noise was horrible. I visit Mexico to relax and not hear loud dance music or loud bingo games. Last year was like this as well as the majority of hotels over the years in the Hotel Zone. It was not like this 30 years ago. However, I found this year much more quiet and less microphone dance music. Maybe someone complained to management and I actually played in the pool area more this year. I would suggest to any hotel in Cancun, Please don't think you have to entertain us with loud music at the pool, we can entertain ourselves.

Last, in 2013 when I arrived at the Tropical around 2 PM, it took about 40 min. to check in. People were waiting in line and getting grumpy and I could not check in until 3 PM. They appeared to not enough staff to handle the check-ins. This year was much quicker and I was well pleased.

Overall, I would recommend the Tropical and Barcelo Resorts to couples and families, and think highly of the staff there. I have not visited any resort in Mexico that was 100% perfect, but I was very pleased with this property. The management team is customer focussed. Thank you again!

KM - Alabama

Room Tip: I chose the Garden view for price, and did not have a garden view, but you can't go wrong to pic...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial staff involved in your entire satisfaction. Thank you for taking the time to write a great review of your trip.
Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.

Best regards,
Mercedes, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Barcelo Colonial room 6356...

we had a great week...this place is very nice and the folks who work there are friendly and helpful....

we were right next to the construction and it didnt bother us at all....with the door closed to the patio you really could barely hear it....the place is immaculate and well maintained....

the food in the Japanese and Steakhouse was very good....the seafood was okay....just not our thing i guess....

the pools are huge and the swim up bars are great....service by the bartenders was good....

the beach is very nice....a little rocky in front of Colonial but other then that its great....the pier offers good snorkeling with plenty of fish to see....

we were there a week and other then Thursday we did not have any trouble finding a chair under shade next to the pools...

on the beach there was more then enough....this place is huge and there are alot of folks but you never really feel crowded anywhere and its so quiet....

the buffett was very good most days and staff is attentive in there....

the shows are okay.....

rooms are nice except for the bed..too hard for my taste..otherwise more then enough room for the four of us.....

i would go back to this place....it met and exceeded my expectations....

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical staff involved in your entire satisfaction. We are sure you will enjoy the new surprising services that Barceló Hotels is preparing for you!
We are sure the next time you visit us, all your family will have a new adventure to tell!!
We look forward to welcome you back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We had 2 rooms. Rooms were clean and spacious. Great service from everyone.
Had meals at: Santa Fe steakhouse, food is good. Waiter is really pushing you to buy the most expensive wine. Kyoto, japenese. You have to ask at the moment of your reservation to be seated around the japenese chef instead of a regular table. Food is good. Service, they don't care about you... Capri, Italian. Good food and service. The best experience of our family. Buffet for dinner is good. Great selection for breakfast. Lunch close to the pool is good. Selection is almost the same everyday. Bar service is good.

Gym is well equiped. It said on the website that there is a mini-golf, it's close. They are building a new complex where the mini-golf was.

Go swim with the fish at the pier

Stayed July 2014
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear guest,
We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The Barcelo maya beach colonial is an excellent resort. My husband and I enjoyed the many amenities offered including kayaking, catamarans, wind surfing, tennis and more. We thank Francisco for his help in teaching us to sail and to wind surf. He demonstrated excellent patience in teaching and was very helpful. The hotel staff was always helpful and friendly. Our room was always cleaned well. Our favourite restaurant was the Mexican restaurant at the Maya Beach section to the resort. It was the quietest and most formal restaurant. Our server Josua was friendly and attentive. We were especially surprised by the treatment we got on our anniversary. We got two glasses of champagne and a special dessert while we were out for dinner. Then when we returned to our hotel room there was a bottle of wine with a heart shaped cake for two. We didn't expect this at all, but really appreciated it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
It is a pleasure for Barcelo Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel to review your kindly comments with the staff involved in your entire satisfaction, we can assure you that Francisco, Joshua ant the rest of the staff will be very happy to host you again!

Thank you very much for visiting this paradise and we hope to see you again in a near future.
Best regards,
Melrose Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This was my first time staying at the Barcelo Maya Colonial and I loved it and will be back. Everyone was so nice and helpful. For those people complaining about the rooms or the food-all I have to say is you guys must be crazy. The beds were not hard at all, no humidity whatsoever-the A/C worked perfectly. The food at the buffet was delicious with a wide variety. I loved that every nite for dinner it was a different theme. I went with my 8 year old daughter and we just got back this past monday. She loved it, she got to swim with the dolphins-she did not want to leave. The pools were excellent, the beach was beautiful. Checking in and out was easy-no delays, no waiting. Everyone was always willing to help and if you passed a worker in the corridors they would always greet you. I will be back again next year for sure. Everyone at the buffet was so nice and always checking up on you. I have to say Gustavo Duran was beyond nice-we saw him almost everyday during breakfast and lunch. Such a nice guy, so pleasant. Also a server by the name of Alfredo-who we saw two nites in a row during dinner provided excellent service. Please let them know what an awesome job they did. We stayed at the Guanajuato building-excellent rooms, beautiful building.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your stay at Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel in Tripadvisor network. We are pleased that we have met your expectations regarding our services.
It is great to know that all your family enjoyed their stay; also let us comment that Gustavo, Alfredo and the rest of the staff will be very happy to host you again!
We hope to see you soon at Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel!
The Management

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!