“March20-27,2014” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

You added Barcelo Maya Colonial to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
“March20-27,2014”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

All good, didn't have any complaints about issues like air conditioning (ours would freeze the room, we actually would shut it off at night). Our sister had a room maintenance issue (blew a fuse and no electricity ) but the maintenance guys was there quickly. If you need internet, buy the longer package, I bought a 5 day package and of course had to buy another couple of days, would have been cheaper if I had just bought the 7 day package. I think there is free internet in lobby. We liked the huge size of the resort, ate in various restaurants, spent a relaxing week.

Room Tip: I really think all the room locations are fine, I know some people are very particular about their r...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear guest,
Barcelo Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel works for the total satisfaction of our customers and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay.
The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I've seen a lot of complainers, if you read one review, read this one.

First of all, this is a spectacular hotel. I see people complaining about the rooms, I have no idea what you are talking about. The room I got was on the 2nd floor and was completely spotless and the maid cleaned it every single day. Ceramic tile floors and Travertine vanity in the bath. The shower was awesome. Balcony with table and 2 chairs to sit and relax in. If you're in your room for more than just to sleep, you don't know how to vacation at this hotel anyway.

Next, you really never have to leave the grounds if you do not want to. Everything is there including shopping. They have a nightly show with a bar at the Palenque theater which we loved.

Food: The buffet isn't 5 star, but think about it: When you go out dining at home, do you go to the local buffet? HECK NO. Buffets are tough because they cook for thousands of people. However after your 1st day at Barcelo, you will figure out what you like and don't like at their buffet. I found most food to be bland but I never got sick or the runs as some of the complainers state. For breakfast, the chilaquiles were very good. They also have people making omlettes. For lunch there were different selections of beef, chicken and fish. Decent. Dinner also was not bad, one night I had fajitas.

We stayed 12 nights and got coupons for the restaurants in lieu of buffet for 9 of the nights. The Steak house by far was the best. The Japanese hibachi grill was great too. The Mexican restaurant is good as well, our least favorites were the fish restaurant and the italian one but both were very edible.

Of the 3 nights we did not have coupons for the restaurants, as I stated one night we ate the buffet, the other 2 nights we took a collectivo (MUCH cheaper than a taxi) to Playa Del Carmen and ate local tacos at EL FOGON. Highly recommend this local restaurant, the best "El Pastor" (marinated pork) tacos around. They also serve many many other traditional Mexican plates.

Finally the drinks....I see a lot of people crying about "top shelf". The drinks are freaking free, who cares what alcohol is in your drink!?!? I got drunk EVERY NIGHT, and I never had to wait an enormous amount of time for a drink as a lot of people whine about. My drinks were constantly full. Not to mention shots are included as well, I never paid a dime for a drink except all the tips I kept leaving the bartenders. (not required but a great gesture).

I highly recommend the swim-up bar on the Tropical side. ASUNCION SOLIS - bartender at the Tropical Swim-up bar - is the ABSOLUTE BEST bartender at this Barcelo property. Also, the Tropical pool plays music all day and is where the water aerobics and other activities like water polo happen.

Bottom line is this is a fantastic hotel for the price and is close to Playa Del Carmen (20 mins) and Xcaret, Xplor and a lot of other excursion spots like Tulum (25 mins).

We had a fantastic vacation even though we got rained on for 3 straight days (not the hotel's fault). Come here and you will not regret that you saved a TON of money over the other hotels.

Room Tip: Stay on the Colonial property, it is the most central of the four and closest to all the best dining...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your stay at our hotel in Tripadvisor network. We are pleased that we have met your expectations regarding our services.
Also let us comment that Asuncion and the rest of the staff will be very happy to host you again!
We hope to see you soon at Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel!
Cambridge Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

3rd time at this resort! Great service. Great beach. Great food n drink. Comfortable clean safe. Wonderful for families n mixed age groups. Kids will have a blast. There are wonderful water play areas. You can stay at one and play at the other sections. The new Reno at the Maya Beach is beautifully done. Check out the new buffet there. Try not to gain too much weight.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial - Tropical staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
We look forward to welcome you back soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

The grounds were clean and the scenery was absolutely beautiful, the room was very spacious and comfortable. Loved that were lots of free water activities and close to city. The number one thing that left bad impression was checking out, I never told by the store staff or front desk that I couldn't pay for my room bill with us funds at 5am in the morning. I was told system down could only take pesos or credit card. I had to fight with the front desk and was helped out by a very very nice bell boy to rectify the situation. The hotel needs to make it very clear that they don't take us funds at front desk during certain times. I found this to be very stressful and a major inconvenience , considering I had to leave in an hour to catch my flight, for this reason alone, I will never stay there again

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
We regret the misunderstanding of information you had during your stay with us. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Lets start with the Positive:
1. Beach, even though rocky entrance, at some parts of the beach, but overall pretty good, without big waves. Finding chairs-not a problem.
2. Grounds are well taken care of.
Now, the Negative:
1. Old rooms, with broken fixtures. Ants in the room. Old school AC.
Had to change rooms because the first one they took us in, had broken shower, hole in the wall and a heavy smell of cigarettes. 2nd room had broken bath drainage, dirty towels.
2. Room-Cleaning was absent yesterday, and poorly cleaned today. No shampoo/soap
3. Food is very average: some days poor, better other days.
It corresponds to poor management, that can't control the business. We stay in room 6640. It has a good access to all amenities.
Overall, a forgettable vacation, that could be spent with more pleasure somewhere else.

Stayed June 2014
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear guest,
We have followed your suggestions during your stay about towels, shampoo, soap, broken bath. We regret to know you are not having a pleasant time despite the effort of our staff. It will be a pleasure to attend you personally and avoid any bad impression you have taken from us.
Best regards,
Suwanee, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Checked into our "Ocean Front" rooms with very disappointing view from patio (see attached photo). No ocean anywhere in sight, just children's pool slides. Complained to concierge who told me there was no expectation of a view of the ocean from the "Ocean Front" rooms because they did not refer to them as "Ocean VIEW " just "Ocean FRONT." She informed me that all the Ocean Front rooms at the Barceló have either partially or totally obstructed views of the ocean, so switching us to a different Ocean Front room, even on the top floor, would likely not have much, if any, view of ocean.
I have vacationed in Mexico over 10 times and I have paid for many Ocean Front rooms, and they all had a beautiful view of the ocean. The hotel voucher I printed directly from the Barcelo website said nothing about a pool view, just "Ocean Front" room, and I showed this to the concierge. Wasted a ton of time arguing with her, then her supervisor, who finally moved us to garden view rooms and refunded the difference, which for 2 rooms for 5 nights was $1,100.00 USD difference. Had to move rooms again the next day because the bed configuration we requested was unavailable on first night (one king room for my husband and I, one double room for our daughters).
So 2 beautiful days were spent checking in, unpacking, repacking, checking out again X 3. By the time we finally got settled in the correct room it began pouring rain and rained for the next 3 days until we left. Wish we hadn't had to waste precious sunny hours in the lobby arguing and moving around from room to room.
Bugs: The first night we ate at the Japanese restaurant Kyoto. We noticed that the black tablecloth was crawling with tiny white bugs- a lot of them. We showed the waitress, she gasped and took us to another table, where there was a bug on the condiment tray that my daughter crushed with the soy sauce and we continued with our meal. I'm used to Mexico being buggy, but I've never had a dinner table absolutely crawling with tiny insects like this.
My daughter had to send her shrimp back because it was not properly deveined. They brought her a new dinner, still shrimp not all deveined. She gave up.
In fairness, everything I did not mention above was fine for the price of this resort- food, cleanliness, service, drinks, grounds are very nicely maintained.

Room Tip: Obviously don't pay for an Ocean Front room expecting to see the ocean. Also, since this is not...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear guest,
We regret you have had problems during your stay. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.
We hope to see you soon in our establishment and to offer the real service of Barcelo.
Bolingbrook, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

After reading some of the reviews, we were a bit concerned, but everything turned our great. We were there for a wedding, traveling with a large group. It was our first trip with our toddler twins, and were worried about how they would handle everything. Also, our first all-inclusive.

Check In: a bit slow, and not very responsive at first. We asked for a ground floor room, near our friends with small childrens so we could spend time together when the littles went to bed. We're told to ask on Friday (arrived Wed), they didn't have anything. Ended up on the 2nd floor in different wings.

Rooms: We were in the Jalisco building, and our room wasn't anything special. It is so incredibly humid here, there was a bit of a worn and weathered look to everything. The AC worked great, though, and the bed was firm but comfy. They had 2 cribs waiting in the room for us. On Friday, they called to ask if we wanted to move together on the first floor, and very happy they did. The second room was fresher, looking like it had a facelift recently. Again, had our cribs waiting!

Pools: Wonderful! The pools are pretty and warm and clean. Have a great view onto the beach. The kiddie pool was incredible. The littles loved it, and this being their first real experience, they got over their fears quickly and loved the water.

Food: The buffet was nice, and the snack shacks were great. The bars were nice. We had 2 a la carte dinners, the steakhouse and Italian. Skip the Italian, the buffet food was better. The steakhouse exceeded our expectations. The private dinner for the wedding we attended was beautiful and food very good.

Service: This is where they shined. We had an outstanding waiter, Alberto, who was incredible. He remembered the boys and kept them in milk the entire time. He was so good about getting us tables together, getting highchairs, and making sure we all had a great time. He works so hard and didn't take a day off our entire stay, so I hope Barcelo knows what a wonderful employee they have in him. The other wait staff was very good and helpful. By the end, our boys started saying Hola!

All in all, it was a wonderful trip! So glad we did it!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear guest,
It is great to know that all your party enjoyed their stay; also let us comment that Alberto and the rest of the staff will be very happy to host you again!
We hope to see you soon at Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel!
Best regards!

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!