“Good resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

You added Barcelo Maya Colonial to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
St. Loius, MO
“Good resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Overall we really enjoyed the resort. There were a couple of things that could be improved but we would return. We have also been to the RIU Palace in PDC and Valentin Imperial Maya.

Pros
- Nice pool area, plenty of space for everyone
- Beach is nice, it is a little rocky in spots and in the water the rocks catch you off guard
- Service is overall very good
- Rooms were decent, I didn't have issues with the musty smell or the beds. We were on the 2nd floor.
- I loved all the little hotel bar areas, good places to sit and hangout before dinner/after pool time
- Nice that they always had food somewhere. We were with our 20 mo. old daughter and it is important we are never without food.
- Buffets were decent, didn't love the food, but it was okay

Cons
- I booked a room at the Colonial and when we arrived we were told they were full so we were moved to Tropical. I was not happy about this at all. I was told it was the same, but I don't like booking one thing and getting another. Also, I don't know for myself it is the same, I have to take their word.
Front desk service as others have mentioned is terrible. There is always a line and it takes forever. When we went to check in they went through telling us about the upgrade then when we said yes they didn't have any rooms available. They also didn't accommodate our early check in request, with a 20 mo, we needed to get in early for nap time. Finally when we did get in there was no crib. Every time we passed through the lobby the line took forever. My husband went to get a new key since ours didn't work and they made him wait in a 4 person long line to get a new one.

- The resort is big as others mentioned, I just didn't feel the level of service is there like other hotels because of the amount of people there.

- I didn't like that lunch didn't start until 12:30pm, that seems late to me, especially with a little one. The grills had food early which saved us. Also dinner didn't start until 6:30, which was also a tad late for us with the little one who goes to bed early.

Overall, very nice resort, beautiful grounds, pool and beach. Loved the kids play area!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear guest,
Barcelo Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel works for the total satisfaction of our customers and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay.
We regret you have had problems during your stay. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.
We hope to see you soon in our establishment and to offer the real service of Barcelo.
Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed at Barcelo for the first time for my sisters wedding. The service was terrible and rude right from check-in. The first room they gave us had visible mold in the bathroom, ceilings, sinks. Absolutely disgusting. We called front desk and they didn't want to move us even though we told them we had mold in our room. They didn't care. The staff acted as if we were putting them out. After much complaining the staff miraculously found us another room on the 2nd floor after claiming they were "full". Throughout the week the service was mediocre. We expected more from the staff. The beaches and pool area were beautiful. Likely will not go back to Barcelo. Will spend my money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor. The humidity and moisture in the rooms lead to the mold. Second f...
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We were at Barcelo Maya Colonial from April 12 - 19, 2014. There were three of us - Parents, plus a 10 year old boy.
Room - good size, nice little balcony, cleaned daily, mini-bar filled daily.
Food - good selection in the buffet - the specialty restaurants were good, but only the Japanese one stood out as very good. I am not a wine snob at all, but I found all three house wines (red, white and rose) undrinkable. I think a decent wine should be made available as part of the all-inclusive package.
Pool - large, clean - swim up bar at one end, and quieter at the other end. We always found lounge chairs, although the usual 7:00 am chair hogs take most of the good ones. If you have younger kids, the water park seemed great.
Beach - great! There were some coral patches, but for the most part it was sandy and clean - a lot of chairs available.
Service - it is a resort in the tropics...no-one is really in a rush to do anything, but anything we asked for was taken care of, and I have nothing bad to say about the staff. The Guest services desk was frustrating, as there was only one person there, and usually 3 or 4 people waiting to ask questions or make reservations.
Overall - this place is big, and depending on where your room is, you either need to walk far to get to the restaurants, or walk far to get to the pool/beach. I prefer that to staying in a high rise hotel, but that is just me.
We didn't do any excursions, or take advantage of the disco, so I can't comment.
All in all, it was a great experience and I would do it again.

Room Tip: If a view is important, you probably need to pay extra to get the prestige rooms that have a great v...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial staff involved in your entire satisfaction. Thank you for taking the time to write a great review of your trip.
Best regards,
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

I just returned home after staying at the Barcelo Maya Colonial for 6 nights from 4/27-5/3. This was my 1st ever experiance staying at an all inclusive and overall I was very satisfied. The resort was very large, but was able to offer a nice variety of activities, restaurants, swimming pools, etc. This is a very family friendly resort and you see people here of all ages and the resort has plenty of different activities for any age. The beach was beautiful, the resort was landscaped perfectly, and the staff do a great job of keeping everything clean. I thought the food was excellent, and on top of the buffet and poolside grill there were 4 sit down restaurants offered. They included Mexican, Japanese, Italian, and a Steakhouse. We ate at all of them with the exception fo the Italian. There is also a seafood restaurant, but it closed for renovation the day we arrived. I did have 1 dissapointing experiance though...

When we ate at the Mexican restaurant, each table included 2 bottles of red wine on the table. The waiter brought out a wine list, and we started drinking the wine that was on the table. Turns out that wine is not part of the all inclusive package, so we ended up being charged $46 per bottle. The charge didn't bother me as much as the way the situation came about. Just seeing the wine on the table implies its the house wine and should be included in my opinion, and if someone wants a different wine they can order off the menu. I felt the way the resort creates this situation is very misleading, especially when there are so many tourists traveling there that all speak different languages and may not understand. In my opinion, just give people a wine list and if they want it, they'll order it. No need to create this situation.

Besides that dinner situation, I enjoyed my stay and would recommend this resort.

Dear guest,
We regret you have had a missunderstanding during your stay. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We are currently staying at the Maya Colonial. When we booked we got a good per person rate and booked our family vacation for 4 people in 2 rooms. A few weeks later we decided to add an extra person to one of the rooms. Initially we were quoted a much higher rate for the fifth person. We called the customer call center and were told that they would add the fifth person to the reservation and that we would be charged at the same per-person rate as we initially booked. However when we showed up at the resort, the resort knew nothing about the fifth person and insisted we had to pay a much higher rate for the fifth person. The resort staff were unable to help us or tell us who we could talk to. We ended up spending more than an hour at check in, which was a complete waste of time and got us nowhere. After insisting there must be someone we could talk to, they decided to charge us the high rate for one night and that we should come back tomorrow. Even though they are charging us this inflated price, they never offered to provide a key card or towel card for the extra person, and they never put the person into the system so we could not make dinner reservations for our entire party. When we checked back with them the next day we got the same story, there was nothing they could do and we had to pay the higher rate.

We feel like we are being held hostage by the resort as we showed up and are being charged a higher rate than we were quoted on the phone. It's ludicrous that our per person rate for the extra person staying in our room is substantially higher than the per person rate the 4 of us are paying. As we are on a tight budget based on what we were quoted, this has put a dark cloud over our vacation and is taking money away from other activities we had planned to do.

Given the resort currently has construction going on and are not at capacity, one would think they would value the customers they have staying here rather than treating them so poorly. We advise you stay away from the Barcelo Maya if you value customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,
We regret the misunderstanding of information you had during your stay with us. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I read reviews for months before traveling to this resort. There are a few things I want to touch on that I read some poor reviews about. This is our 5th all inclusive vacation, 3rd in Mexico. There was 5 of us including a 2 year old and the workers here love kids! They treated him so good, always going out of there to entertain him. Check in went fine. I emailed ahead of time for requests but they did not fulfill our request. They did, however, make changes to our initial room to get us close to what we requested when I asked. I had to remind them to get us a crib a couple times, but no big deal. Again at checkout, we had a problem with our bill ( someone charged cigarettes to our room... It appeared a mistake) but front desk staff fixed the error. The rooms are slightly dated, and our first floor room in the Jalisco building smelled very musty and was moist for the whole first day. The smell and wetness went away the second day in. The mattresses and pillows were comfortable. There are English speaking channels on the tv. Housekeeping does not do the cute little towel art here. But they did leave a note one day when the safe wasn't locked to make sure we lock away valuables. The hallways were quite loud a couple of the nights waking us up but not the baby. The grounds are very spread out and huge. I have seen better care of the landscaping in other resorts but I do like that they kept some of the natural vegetation here. The pools were great. There IS pool wait staff. The beach was not that great in my opinion. It was hard, rocky, rough on the feet in places. There was nice sand near the water sports buildings. We never travelled much past that. The activities staff was great during the day, and at night, they were entertaining enough. The food was mostly quite good. Beach bars were good for lunch. We tried the steakhouse, Japanese, Italian and seafood. We all disliked the Italian. The rest were good! Service was good throughout with the exception of 1 day at the beach bar when they were ignoring people standing at the bar. One of my biggest complaints would be the drunk people at the pools. We saw a guy vomiting and many other men be totally belligerent. Overall, I think this resort was possibly the best we've been to based on options of things to do, food, and staff. I don't know how anyone could be disappointed.

Stayed May 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for visiting this paradise and we hope to see you again in a near future.
northern nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We chose the Mayan Riviera for our spring break (April 18-26). I researched the area a lot, reading many of the TA reviews for the all-inclusives. We finally decided on the Barcelo complex because of the amenities, strong reviews and the ability to try all their other facilities. (Thanks to all the families who posted very detailed info.-- it really helped!) Here's my take:

What is good:
The scenery: Make no mistake, they put a lot of money into the grounds and they are beautiful. Lush, tropical plantings, huge and unique pools beside turquoise beach water. Lovely! The Colonial has a great swim-up bar, under a huge palapa, right next to the Mariachi Grill-- which was our lunchtime destination for about 5 out of 8 days. We loved the hammocks in the shaded areas of the pools.
We did upgrade to the premium, for the liquor and room situation, and found it to be a good benefit. We had a front row view of the kids play area, which was perfect for my 5 & 8 year old boys. We called Barcelo's 800 number and found they offered the same price for an upgraded room that all the other "big name" travel websites were offering for a basic room, so it was a no-brainer. Barcelo took our requests (king bed, near the kids water park, 2nd or 3rd floor room, with an extra rollaway cot for the kids) and gave us exactly what we asked for in room 6509. (With 20/20 hindsight, I would've chosen a first floor room, just for the ease of accessibility.) The premium's free WiFi was non-existent outside of our building, then again, we were on vacation, so didn't really use it a lot!

The food: The buffets are top-notch. There were lots of Europeans, Canadians and Americans from all over (Midwest, Northeast, etc.) and there was still something for *everyone* at these spreads. Displays were kept clean and well-stocked and the workers took pride in making sure you got what you wanted, at breakfast, lunch or dinner.
At the (upgraded) check-in, the staffer offered us the option of trying out the Palace buffet at no extra cost. We found it to be the best of all the buffets, with the massive, newly renovated Beach resort buffet running a close second. The fused Colonial/Tropical buffets were good as well, but we only tried them for two dinners and breakfast daily. Lunches we stuck to Mariachi (in Colonial) and Captain Morgan's (in Caribe).
As for the a-la cartes, we loved Kyoto (both for table service and hibachi), thought Santa Fe was pretty good and really didn't like Capri. If you live near or in a big city, you're probably used to good Italian meals, so just stay away from this one! We had absolutely no problem getting the 6pm seating at any restaurant we wanted. What we had a problem with was trying to peel the kids away from the pool with enough time to get ready and walk the long walk to the restaurant! We canceled two of our reservations (Mare Nostrum & the Brazilian at the Palace) before dinner knowing we just wouldn't make it.

Service: Everyone, from housekeeping to servers, has a friendly smile and an, "Hola!" We brought $100 in singles to tip while there and found it didn't get us any faster service at the bar, but was helpful to cocktail servers and housekeepers who stocked the mini fridge and cleaned my kids beds every day. Still, everyone appreciated the extra 'thank you' and we always left a few dollars.

The kids club: Simona, an Italian woman who ran the Colonial Barcy club was wonderful. Very kind and caring. Our boys loved participating in the activities! They are indoor AND outdoor (trampolining, marble hunts in the pool, etc.), so don't be concerned they are trapped inside watching movies for hours.

Shopping in the Mexican plaza near our hotel entrance is pretty decent and you can barter with the shopkeepers. We picked up a few kid toys and some nice ceramics.

What is not so great:
*This place is HUGE. I mean-- it's a small city between all the resorts. Getting to and from the buffets, to and from your room, going to separate sections of the complex takes its toll on your time-- and feet! I learned to cut through the theater to get to the buffet and also learned the hard way not to bring new flip-flops. Even my blister blockers couldn't save me!
Because it's so big, with such a huge staff, you could meet one employee, then never see the person again all week! It was hard to make a connection-- we never saw anyone twice, and in the end, we found that aspect to be impersonal. (We stayed for 8 days.)
*The Tropical pool had a quite wild crowd (high school spring breakers) and loud bursts of techno music. But it was far enough from us not to be an issue and we just stayed away from the drinking/smoking crowd.
*The snorkel/beach toy rental area is run by a separate company, so you'll need a credit card or $50 cash per person for your 'free' hour. Which means another loooong walk back to your room if you didn't bring it to the pool!

Be aware that:

*If you arrive on eastern time, the main buffet doesn't open until 6:30 (so, 7:30!!) The beach buffet is open, but a little lacking in choice, so bring some snacks to tide you over on your first day.
*Ask for the mattress topper. I love a firm bed, but this was uncomfortably firm until we added the topper the next day!
*Shows...we were close to the theater, but one room in, so had somewhat of a loudness buffer. Shows begin late (9:30p) so we only made it to one Cirque du Soleil-style show the whole time. Pretty good quality and also kid-friendly.
*Lots of people smoke on the property. Including by the kids pool, so beware!
*You need a cover up and shoes at the beach buffets
*While they ask you not to take food from the buffets, we always had bits of bread or crackers left over. So we'd pop them in a bag and walk to the pier between Colonial and Caribe (near Dolphinaris) to feed the fish. There are tons of Ocean Sturgeon and our kids got a kick out of feeding them-- even jumping off the pier into the crystal water to swim with them!
*Dolphinaris...here's what my 5 year-old asked upon seeing the small, unshaded pool they live in, "Do they let them swim in the ocean and then come back?" :( Animals are not entertainment to our family, so we stayed clear.

Make sure you bring:
*Comfy flip-flops or pool sandals (for lots of walking)
*A lot of sunscreen! It's expensive at the resort.
*Band Aids (!!) and blister blockers
*A power cord (the exact same as US outlets.) As everyone has said, there aren't enough outlets for charging iphones, ipads, etc.
*Long pants for men to attend the a-la carte restaurants
*Room deodorizer. It does get damp and musty in the room.
*We also brought large drink coolers so we made fewer trips to the pool bar :)

Don't bother bringing:
*Blow-up pool mattresses, rings, etc. Lots of people leave theirs when they depart, so you'll never be lacking! We did bring our kids' water blasters (small versions) and goggles.
*Your blow dryer. I have waist-length thick hair and the one provided was wonderful. Professional and large.
*Bug spray. We didn't need it in mid-April.

All in all, a lovely place that was missing some personality because of its sheer vastness. While we liked and appreciated the variety of things to do, it just became overwhelming and we found ourselves by the same pool or beach areas while playing, reading or relaxing with the kids. I think it was important for us to try something new, but we soon realized we prefer a smaller hotel experience.

Room Tip: Go premium and ask for a first floor room. The G building is best, but beware that it's the clos...
Best regards,
The Management

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!