“Great vacation & would likely return... although falls short of a 5 star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Expedia.com Booking.com
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Toronto, Canada
“Great vacation & would likely return... although falls short of a 5 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I will try to give a detailed review so heads up from now.

Overall, it was a fantastic stay and the hotel pays a lot of attention to detail such as an electronic board in front of the theatre which displays which show is on that night, what time, what time the disco opens, etc. American brands of food used (Barilla, Yoplait, Coca Cola, etc). Fully equipped bar in the buffet with great Americano coffees. Continue reading to see where it fell short for us ( a group of 5, aged mid 20s-60 ).

ROOMS AND CHECK IN: This is was the bad part which kind of started our trip with a foul taste in our mouths. The check in system was terribly disorganized and slow. Huge singular line up for a large group, not enough staff, people would jump the line to one of the other staff and they would complete check in rather then directing them to the line. This is really frustrating after your flight is delayed, as was our tour bus. I wish they would adopt a bus check in system like we have seen before, or at least have more organization. The ladies at the front desk were quite slow and inefficient. The bar staff who offered cocktails upon our arrival also refused to give us any of the non alcoholic drinks as they were "only for kids", which I couldn't quite understand why they would refuse to let us have any.

For the rooms, I emailed two-three weeks in advance to request a particular building, floor and bed arrangement. I understand they are subject to availability but we did not have a single one of our requests met despite receiving a response from the hotel at the time of the email. They went as far as to say they received a request for one king bed and two doubles in the other which is NOT what we requested. When we got to the rooms on the ground floor, they both had a terrible moldy smell as we were warned by other reviewers. I have asthma so this was a bad experience for me. The room felt moist all week, as did all our clothes. The mini fridge did not keep things cold, was leaking and the coffee maker was not working properly. The AC also would work as it pleased, on and off. We made the front desk staff aware of the malfunctioning items, but they could care less. We requested a room change and they kept putting us off to the next day, and after 3 days of heading to the front desk in the morning, we gave up as the two rooms they gave us were not even on the same floor (we are a family), and yet again, did not have the bed arrangement we needed. The 5 of us spent all week in ONE room, the one rom with the less unpleasant smell. This room was similar to a room we had in Santiago, Cuba in a 3 star hotel. This was thoroughly disappointing as the rest of the hotel is really fantastic so it just really makes you feel that 1 final star find out of the potential of the hotel.

Now for the good... :)

FOOD: FANTASTIC! We have stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba (4.5 star) in Riviera Maya, and the food here is better. Some variation with theme nights. Bagels and cream cheese for breakfast, Yoplait yogurt, chocolate spread, huge selection of fruit ( We ate tasty mango all week).

ALACARTE: We reserved 4 but only ended up going to 2. The Steakhouse was disappointing, but the Japanese was really great and our chef was fantastic :) I would recommend tipping for their hard work, I felt embarrassed for the other guests at our table who did not do so.

SERVICE: Overall good for a large hotel. It was good in the buffet but below par everywhere else. All the bars were understaffed and would regularly ignore you, especially the lobby bar.

BEACH: Beautiful as everyone says!! We have been to the land of beautiful beaches (Varadero and Cayo Santa Maria Cuba), but this beach is fantasticccc at the Colonial side... with beautiful waters, not too cold, wavy on some days which was great fun, and lots of fish to snorkel with. The beach at the MAYA BEACH section was terrible, dirty and smelly, we are glad we didnt book there which is what we were originally going to do. We sometimes came to the beach at 11 am or 12pm and despite being a group of 5, always found a spot, so dont sweat the "towel game" :)

EXCURSIONS: It is so fun to stop by and watch at the Dolphinaris, but we never did an excursion there. We did Parasailing ($120 USD for a couple), and it was an amazing experience. Highly recommend and not scary, but layer on that sunscreen for the boat ride.

We also walked to the Cenote Azul (70 peso entrance per person, 5 peso for fish food). As other reviewers mentioned, walk out the hotel to the highway and cross it (the traffic isnt too heavy). Then keep walking left 500 m and voila. Really great experience, highly recommend.

We took photos with the baby lion and monkey. Although the poor lion was tired and it seemed a bit unfair, he comes from an animal sanctuary where they take great care of him (they took him in when his mom died).

ENTERTAINMENT: Great shows!! Highly recommend the Michael Jackson, Circus and Mayan themed shows. They have huge teams of entertainers and they all do amazing jobs, with great light and sound and really just great execution. It is very dark and cool in the theatre so we often found ourselves about to fall asleep during the show after having a large meal, so I would recommend to the hotel maybe adding some more light.

DISCO: was the best we have seen and it was our 9th all inclusive. It is like a nightclub down here in Canada, light and smoke shows, great effects, go-go dancers. There was ALOT of younger American groups at this hotel (high school, early college) and they really get rowdy and disrespectful both at the disco and on the beach/pool, I dont know if I can fault the hotel for this but something to be aware of. I will add that there is security inside and outside and they take their job very seriously, which is great.

GROUNDS: Incredibly beautiful!! Large yes, but you dont have to venture to the other parts of the hotel (Tropical, Maya Beach or Caribe). The way it is set up is really well planned and you dont get lost. Walking left or right on the beach will take you to the other hotels but it really is not as overwhelming as the Bahia Principe. The pools are warm and cleaned EVERY NIGHT for hours by a staff member who actually snorkels in the water to find all the leafs and other odd items in the water. We often saw cleaning staff polishing the marble all over the hotel overnight. This part is managed incredibly well.

Overall despite our issues with the room and desk staff, it was a great trip, and an incredible hotel that certainly pays attention to detail. I would likely return after a few years, I would hope however for better guest services, better check in and updated rooms.

Go and enjoy, you wont regret it!

Room Tip: Do not go for a ground floor.... I would recommend you email ahead but they dont seem to accomodate...

1,820 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Polish first
st louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

I needed a week to unwind and relax with my hubby and this place was fantastic. We stayed April 9th - 16th and had a room in the Guanajuato block which was well located to the beach and pool.
This resort is huge and you will do lots of walking - this was great for me but I have seen other negative reviews about the walking so be warned.
These are the things I loved about this resort:
Beautifully landscaped immaculate grounds.
Great service everywhere
Amazing beach with lots of palm trees and loungers.
Great buffets with lots of vegetarian options!
Clean beautiful swimming pools

I was worried about eating well here - I have been to several other all inclusive properties and if your a vegetarian it can be hit or miss - but not here.
They have a nice little gym and one afternoon while it rained for an hour we went in and found a nice Jacuzzi and a eucalyptus steam room - heaven.
Several nights we walked down to the Maya Beach and enjoyed their dinner buffet - we also had dinner reservations for the Japanese and Italian but cancelled them because we saw no need to eat in the restaurants since the buffets were more than adequate.
My only complaint was that it was crowded at the swimming pools and hard to find chairs we usually walked down to the Tropical pool to find a chair in the shade. My big gripe is people were saving chairs in the shade and in the sun all day - a family of 3 would save like 7 chairs - really? VERY inconsiderate and not really the fault of the Barceló.
Our room was more than adequate and we didn't mind the firmness of the mattress to be an issue.
This is a fantastic resort for families so if you don't like to be around small children don't stay here -
All in all I would definitely stay here again I got my relaxation and my well needed rest.
My hubby loved it and still talks about all the great ceviche's at lunch and dinner and the fresh seafood not to mention the amazing breakfast items that you would never have at home everyday...
What's not to like?

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I like the brand. This location is the largest resort I have ever stayed at… its very big. Good food and value for a sometimes quiet garden view room away from the theater. This time maid service wasn’t great most days our room didn’t get cleaned until late in the day or the made would show up when we were getting ready for dinner. Maybe the slow usual service had something to do with all the crazy and noisy high school students in the rooms around us... Otherwise not bad. The Barceló Beach and Carib have a more sheltered rock free beach for swimming… It’s a five minute walk along the beach from the colonial.

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We have stayed at two other resorts on the Mayan Riviera in previous years. We just stayed at a week at the Barcelo Mayan Colonial - and it is our new favorite.

Rooms - The rooms are not large but are well appointed. The mini bar & snacks were replenished every day. The bed was great. The room was nice and clean and was in good shape. The air conditioning was wonderful. We were on the 3rd floor and enjoyed the view of the lush tree tops and birds. The wireless was a little expensive but worked well.

Food - The buffets were quite good. There was lots of choice and everything was well presented and clean. The staff in the buffets were excellent. We ate at the Japanese, Steakhouse, and Italian restaurants. They were all very good. The lamb at the Italian restaurant was memorable.

Pools & Beach - The pools were large, clean and a nice temperature. There was no problem getting 4 lounge chairs (sometimes with a little organizing) together at any time of day. The pool bar was great and we never waited for drinks. The beach (particularly the south end) is absolutely beautiful! The sand is good & there are tons of beach chairs. The snorkeling was only ok, but I think would have been quite good after a couple of calm days to clear the water. The beach staff were attentive and pleasant. If you want to use a Hobie cat you must book in advance - it's best to be there at 8am to make sure you get a booking that day.

Grounds - the grounds are lush and very well kept. They were a pleasure to walk through. It is a large property so bring a good pair of shoes. The tennis courts, gym, and spa are all in good shape.

Lovely resort, great staff, we hope to back soon!

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Another perfect vacation at the Barcelo Maya. Our family of four including 2 boys aged 6 & 4 stayed in the Colonial section although the Tropical and Colonial are simply mirror images of eachother so it doesn't matter. We payed extra for the Club Premium room this trip which I am not sure I would do again. The room was a bit bigger and it was a prime location but I don't think the extra cost was worth it. Here is a summary of PROS and CONS of the property:

PROS: Gorgeous and impeccably clean grounds, staff is extremely warm and accommodating, large number of options at buffets - even a vegetarian or a picky toddler would be kept happy, LOVED Kyoto restaurant, never felt crowded even though we were there over Spring Break, water park keeps kids happy for hours, pool has a gradual entry section which is great for little kids, lots of trees around pool and at beach so shade is always available, the staff loves kids and always goes out of their way for families, the mojitos are fresh and delicious :), hand made cappuccinos at breakfast are great, fresh fruit smoothies to order at breakfast are healthy and yummy, kids club (ages 4+) has activities all day long and the staff there does an amazing job

CONS: Sometimes getting a drink at the bar takes a while especially during peak times, if you want to get a good spot at the pool you should reserve a spot with your towel by 9:00 AM, the bathroom in our room showed a few small signs of wear and dirt (this is nitpicking because overall the room was very nice and clean), you cannot always get a reservation at the restaurant of your choice (fine by us because as a family we preferred the buffet anyway), dining at the restaurants can be a bit long and drawn out for small kids, the mini bar was not always stocked fully or on time, it was pretty hot while we were there and the room wasn't as cool as we would have liked, bed is not the most comfy but you can request softer pillows at the front desk, an hour drive from airport (a private transfer is worth the extra money)

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are best - allows kids to run around on the grass, the view is better and it'...
Brighton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We were there from April 11-April 18 and had an absolutely incredible time! My oldest daughter is a senior in high school and we went there to celebrate spring break with her and many of her classmates. In fact, there were over 120 high schoolers, their families, and extended family and friends. Just in our group, there were 9 which included friends, as well as aunts and uncles. All of us have said we would definitely return to the Barceló (and bring additional family members with us). Yes, we were there during spring break, and yes there were A LOT of teenagers but from what I saw, (I spent many hours at the "party pool" watching the kids) they were having a lot of good clean fun! Yes, many of them were drinking and probably more than their parents would have liked but I never once saw a fight, someone throwing up, or anyone causing trouble. It may have happened in other areas of the resort, however, most of the kids did hang out at the pool. Which by the way, everyone pretty much left the pool area by 7:00 p.m.
I am not sure where some of the complaints of other reviews come from....my only guess is that they are individuals that would not be happy anywhere. The resort is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are absolute perfection!! I could spend hours just walking around and looking at the different plant life and animals. The pools, also immaculate!! The beach....well I am speechless about the beach! Breathtaking is all I can think of!
The staff is incredibly friendly and very very helpful. Is there a language barrier? Of course there is....hello....it's a different country! All the staff try very hard to understand what you are saying and are very willing to repeat themselves if necessary. The only thing I would suggest is that you bring along a little patience.....it is as hard for them to understand you as it is for you to understand them....they are HUMAN!!
The room was beautiful! Yes the beds and pillows are hard but not everyone can afford a tempurpedic mattress. Spend the day having fun at the beach and trust me, you will sleep!
The food was delicious! Sometimes the buffet did get a little repetitive but then you can just go to a different section of the buffet and pick something new. There was always so much to try that you could easily eat the buffet at every meal and not have to have the same thing twice!
The a la carte restaurants were good....I think the Italian may have been the best but we also tried the Mexican, the steakhouse, and the Japanese....all delicious! The beach grills also have a wonderful selection of food! The lamb chops are fantastic by the way!
When we arrived, check in went fast...less that 10 minutes (I was actually checking in for 2 rooms and it was still only 10 minutes). We did decide to upgrade to premium junior suite for both rooms....$400 extra for the week (we used a coupon in the discount packet they gave us) and it was definitely worth it! I would absolutely upgrade again! It included free wifi for the week (we had 2 devices going at once for each room) as well as premium liquor, a nicer room with incredible pool view, premium lobby bar where you could get snacks as well as make your own drinks and get premium beer if you wanted. We also would've been able to eat at the a la carte restaurants every night with premium but we were there with others that did not upgrade so we chose to eat at the buffet the other nights.
I had a massage the first night and Sylvia at the spa did a wonderful job!!!
Bottom line, if you want to stay at a beautiful resort, relax, and have fun...I highly recommend Barceló. If you want to be waited on hand and foot and have your drinks, food, and entertainment delivered at every moment to your beach chair...then choose someplace else....to be honest I don't think those individuals would even be happy with that!
Also, if you don't want to be there during any schools spring break time whether it be college or high school, then don't go in March or April. If you can get beyond the fact that 18- 20 year olds are given some freedom at the resort and accept the fact that they will be drinking, then go during spring break times....you may actually enjoy them entertaining you.
I will definitely be going back to Barceló!!

Room Tip: We had the Jalisco building in a premium Junior suite....well worth the money and away from the thea...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Director General at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Chrissy C.

We truly appreciate your comments and your understanding. This is a family hotel and not exclusively for spring break, so we appreciate people like you choose our hotel to interact with adolescents who are in a safe place. We understand they are young so we maintain strict supervision to avoid problems with other guests. The resort is so large that there is always a place for everyone.
It is a pleasure to know that you enjoy this wonderful resort, the cuisine, pools, and fun.

Everyone works very hard to give the best service to our customers, we appreciate your time and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You again.

Best regards
Management
gtealojamientocol@barcelomaya.com
Spruce Grove, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

April 9-16
My wife and I had a wonderful trip to Barcelo Colonial . Access to the nearby resorts was great.Lots to see and do.Food was great. More selection at the Colonial Buffet ( meats- chicken,beef and pork ) is needed. Overall no complaints about the food and service. Staff took good care of us. I enjoyed the beach and available water sports. Rooms were well appointed and kept up.
Some people complained about the spring break crowd at the Tropical Resort. Oh well, kids will be kids. They seemed to stay over there and our resort was fairly quiet.
Being close to the beach and restaurants was another bonus. The resorts are well laid out and connected to each other. I discovered a new sport in "Padel" during the week.There are 2 new courts and new equipment to use. The Maya Beach resort was awesome looking after the renovations. I would definitely look at going there next time.The Caribe will soon be renovated as well.
I will definitely keep this complex on my list of places to visit again in the future.

Peter Veinot
Alberta

Room Tip: Choose the G building for best location access to all the resort has to offer.
Dear Peter V:
First of all receive our greetings, feedback from our guest is essential to improve our services and achieve our goal to fulfill your expectations.
We are pleased that You enjoyed our resort with all our variety of cuisines, beautiful beach, awsome Shows and entertainment, big pools and more and of course our new padel courts that is incredible.

We appreciate your time and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You again.
Best regards
Management
gtealojamientocol@barcelomaya.com

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!