“Excellent Holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

You added Barcelo Maya Colonial to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“Excellent Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Loved the resort.

The property is huge. The Beach is beautiful.
Always lots of chairs at pool and beach even at full capacity.

The food at the beach buffet is just so so.
But the main buffet and ala carte are quite decent.

Service everywhere is just top notch.
Very Clean.

Would return and recommend.

Only issue we had was we were not able to get a king room eventhough that is what we had booked and requested.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear guest,
Barcelo Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel works for the total satisfaction of our customers and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay.
We regret you have had room assignation issues during your stay. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.
We hope to see you soon in our establishment and to offer the real service of Barcelo. Please write to gteoperaciones.colonial@barcelomaya.com for your next visit.
Best regards
The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Polish first
Summerland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

This property has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, in my opinion. We had a family of two sons, daughters in law, myself and my husband for one week, and my husband and I stayed for an additional week.The staff in the hotel were friendly, courteous and knowledgeable. The buffets have an wonderful array of food at all times of the day, and the restaurants will rival any high priced restaurant anywhere. This is our third time at this property, the first 2 times we stayed at the Tropical, and we enjoyed it every time, and will return again.

Sue Hayes

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor and on a side not facing the theatre are quieter. The Jr Suites give you a...
Dear guest,
It is a pleasure for Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel to review your kindly comments with the staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
Thank you very much for visiting this paradise and we hope to see you again in a near future. Please write to gteoperaciones.colonial@barcelomaya.com for your next visit.
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from our vacation and am following up on what I said I would do while I was lounging on the beach.....writing this review!
We were two families which included teens ages 15,14,13 and 12. After being at the resort for one day, we all started talking of coming back next year. The resort is simply breathtaking. It is super clean and well maintained. Lots of activities for the kids: water parks, snorkelling, trampolines, rock climbing, bowling, mini golf, basketball, soccer, etc..., We did the Segway tour (on site) and thought it was well worth it (needless to say the kids thought it was awesome and the coolest thing). I would suggest you try to do it on your first days as you get the full layout of the resort complex.

I had pre-booked the dolphins before going and got 30% off plus a free upgrade to trainer for a day (dolphinaris.com). The kids loved it. I really recommend doing any dolphin program, it's money well spent even if your kid is 4 years old or your 65 years old. The kids said it was the best day of the week and they want to do it all over again next year.

The food was great. We did 4 restaurants: Italian (our favourite), steakhouse, Mexican(least favourite), and Japanese. We booked on arrival and got reasonable hours.

We booked a tour to Coba through the on site Barcelo tour booth on the Tropical side. We dealt with Ricardo who told us about this great private tour which ended up being nothing of what he led us to believe it would be. I would suggest to book through your travel rep instead.

Rooms: We were on the second floor in Guanajuato Building, closer to the lobby. It was a great location. The rooms are very clean and typical. They had the sofa done up as a bed in which my 15 yr old slept on all week (no complaints from him). All the adults woke up with aches and pains because of the quality of the mattresses....they are hard!

Beach: it is huge! Lots of Palm trees and beach chairs. No problems finding shade with all those palm trees. Yes there are some rocky areas in the water. No you don't need beach shoes. The kids spent lots of time (hours and hours) in the water and rocks are not an issue, don't worry. Yes the thickness of the sand has eroded in some areas, but it is still a great beach.

Look at it this way: We did not take the wi-fi and not once did the teenagers ask for it! We all agreed we would definitely return to the Colonial.

We have been to several 4 1/2 and 5 star resorts in Mexico, Jamaica, Cuba, and Dominican Republic, it's the first time we sooooo want to return to the same one.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial staff involved in your entire satisfaction. Thank you for taking the time to write a great review of your trip. We are sure you will enjoy the new surprising services that Barceló Hotels is preparing for you!

Laconia, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

A group of 10 of us traveled from Boston to the Barcelo Maya Colonial from February 15th to the 22nd. We booked a flight/hotel package with Travelocity. The flight was United and the Hotel was a Junior suite Premium ocean front. We used Lomas for the private transfer to the Hotel, it took about an hour. The flight was an hour late arriving , but our transfer was still there waiting for us. They had beer on board for the trip to the hotel.

The club premium check in is a desk next to the club premium lounge. Since there were ten of us it took a little while to check in. We had emailed the hotel our names earlier in the week to request rooms as close as possible. We were all in the same building very close to each other. We were in the Jalisco first building facing the pool/beach. 6203,6205,6206,6105,6106. You can see the ocean beyond the pool. The Club lounge Is on the smaller size. It has a few computers, board games, a full array of liquors and a

cooler filled with water,soda, juices and beer(corona,corona light ,Modelo, Modelo light). After check in we made dinner reservations. Its not easy to find the best times to eat when booking for 10 people. The latest we ate was 930 the earliest was 730, all times worked out fine.

We ate at the Agave-mexican, Santa Fe- Steakhouse, Capri-italian, Marenostrum-Seafood and Kyoto- Japanese twice(once show cooking and once at a table both had same menu). I didn't have a bad meal at any of the restaurants. I wont judge cooking because it can vary from plate to plate and person to person but if you don't like it try something else. I ordered two meals a few nights, I was hungry. We did do the buffet the first night and the selection and service was good. I am sure we would have enjoyed the buffet every night if we had eaten there.

The rooms were in a great location. The balcony of 6203 was half the size of the other room balcony's.The room seemed to be a standard size to me, it had a couch, a table and a dresser/armoire that no longer held a TV in it. The TV was placed on top. A standard mini fridge with soda water and beer. The bathroom had a rainforest shower stall before a tub shower unit. It was a unique set up, it worked. The water pressure and supple of hot water was good. I didn't have any room complaints. The bed was very firm but that worked for me.

There are many pools and swim up Bars. The pool water wasn't to cold to hang out in but the Ocean water was warmer. There are a lot of chairs to chose from, yes people do play the towel game for what they consider the best locations. We never had a problem finding a place to hang out after a day at the beach.

The Beach is very large, with no shortage of chairs. The only shade offered is from the palm trees, no palapas on the beach. There are no Beach Bars that i could find, and no wait staff for the beach or the pool. I would bring water shoes and wear them going in the water. I received a cut on the bottom of my foot for not wearing mine. There are a lot of fish near the pier, some pretty good size ones. They love to be fed.

There are many Bars located all around the resort. My favorite was the Colonial lobby bar, the Modelo negro in a chilled glass mug is very good. All bars carried a nice selection of liquor and had a beer choice of Corona or Modelo Negro on tap. The premium club bracelet was worth it just for the drink selection alone.I am not sure where the watered down myth comes from, if you want more liquor in your drink ask for
it. The only place i had to wait for a drink was at the Maya beach activity pool bar, they were lined up single file waiting for the solo bartender. There is no way I would do that and would not like the place if I had to do that. Chicken wings at Captain Morgans Grill were worth having at least once. The ship built inside was pretty cool.

We did the Segway tour on our last day, probably should have done earlier in the trip. You get a tour from one end of the resorts to the other with stops in between. Its a great way to find the location of all the things offered at the resorts. I didn't find the resort large enough to ride the tram, but we rode it once just to say we did.

I have read reviews that compare Barcelo to Iberostar. Club premium beats Iberostar however Iberostar would win if no Club premium, if the the prices were the same.

We had a great time and enjoyed The Barcelo complex very much.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My family and I absolutely loved this resort! It was stunning! Very clean, great food and service, excellent entertainment, beautiful beach and friendly staff. My mother was terminally ill when we travelled here and she still had the time of her life. I want to sincerely thank all of the staff for making my mothers one and only trip to Mexico one of the highlights of her life. My siblings and I plan on returning next year to experience this beautiful place again and I am sure our mom will be there in spirit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial - Tropical staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Best regards!
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed at Barcelo Colonial/Tropical 2 times and enjoyed it immensely. The grounds are beautiful, pools large & clean. Rooms well appointed. Food was good for an all inclusive. The only drawback is the distance from the Cancun airport. It's about a 45 minute drive, more than I like to do in Mexico. There are 5 properties at this location Barcelo Beach, Caribe, Colonial, Tropical,& Palace. Palace being adults only. We like the Colonial/Tropical best. There is not much entertainment at night unless you like a loud night club. There is 2 miles of beach at this resort, lots of lounge chairs, & you can find a palm tree for shade.

Room Tip: Club Premium is beach front. But you pay more for it. Other than than premium room on first floor...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your stay at our hotel in Tripadvisor network.
We hope to see you soon at Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel!
Best regards!
Binghamton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I will try to keep this short, as the reviews for this hotel are very thorough and I second many of the sentiments I have already read.

We stayed in February with our 20 month old daughter. We spent a little extra money to stay in the Ocean View Premium Suite. This room made the trip TOTALLY worth it and I would recommend booking it, especially if you have a little one. When I walked by standard rooms while housekeeping was cleaning, I was less than impressed with the size and totally thankful we didn't have to share that room with our baby. The Ocean View Premium Suite was a corner room with a HUGE wrap around balcony and another much smaller balcony off the dining area. The suite had a half bath upon first walking in, a dining area, a living room with access to the balcony, a bedroom with king bed (also with access to the balcony) and a full bath. We put the baby's crib in the bedroom and put her in there at night with the door shut and were still able to access a bathroom, the couch/television, and balcony. Being a premium room, we had free wifi for our entire stay (in room) and free room service. In my opinion this was worth EVERY penny and made our stay.

After reading a lot of reviews about not being able to take food out of the restaurants, we did pack PLENTY of snacks and it proved to be great for us. We were able to go back to the room during the little one's nap time and still grab a snack while reading/relaxing on the balcony.

We were right by the kiddy pool/waterslide area. That proved to be a great spot for us. It was a bit noisy during the day (with the balcony door open) but quieted down at night. As others have said - the noise from the theater can be a bit much...but isn't a huge pain.

We found the food to be "meh", but we've never found an all inclusive that we've raved about when it came to cuisine. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't something we'd write home about either.

The only other draw back that I can think of is that the ride to/from the hotel is an hour. We lucked out and got a direct transport from the airport, and on the way back to the airport we rode with people who were also at our hotel - so no additional stops. I can imagine this might be tough if you have a little one and have to make lots of stops.

OH - I wanted to mention - we personally did not have any issues with a musty smell - but a few years ago, I read a suggestion that has worked wonders for us...just bring a few dryer sheets and put them in the air conditioning vent. Viola!

The bed was large but I was very sensitive to sound (because of the baby sleeping in the same room and not wanting to wake her)...the bed made the weirdest crinkling sound...almost like we were sleeping on a diaper. Again, I'm not sure if it's because I was hyper-sensitive to the sound...but that was just odd.

As others mentioned, there isn't a ton of shade at the beach....so be prepared for that.

The property is beautiful and even when "very busy" it didn't seem crowded at all.

Bottom line...Would we come back? If we could get the same room type - YES.

Dear guest,
If you ever decide to come back and visit us it will be our pleasure to follow your requests: gtealojamientocol@barcelomaya.com
The Management

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!