“The room was terrible but the complex was awesome” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Colonial to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ham Lake, Minnesota
“The room was terrible but the complex was awesome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was my familys first time traveling to Mexico and the weather couldnt have been better, wish I could say the same about our room. We really enjoyed all the activities offered at the resort but our room was horrible! First of all they did not check us in until half hr after check in time, there was no welcome gift as stated in our reservations, our lamp was broken, our alarm clock was broken, our slider would not open, the bathtub would not work and our beds were literally like sleeping on rocks, we did not get a good night sleep the entire time there. I dont think I would ever go back to Barcelo despite how nice the people were there or all the activities offered.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

1,810 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Polish first
Minn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was a little concerned about our planned trip to the Barcelo after reading some of the recent reviews. It seems like the complaints always focus on a few areas.

The front desk staff. I found them to be helpful and friendly during our stay. Even if they weren't, you very seldom interact with them so it doesn't really make that much difference.

The food. We thought the food was good and in a few cases, very good. I'm not sure what people expect at an all-inclusive resort but we felt that there was an adequate variety for both breakfast and lunch and that the specialty restaurants were for the most part satisfying. The Japanese and the French restaurant were both excellent! We received good to excellent service every time we went in for a meal.

The alcohol. We knew from previous experience that the house wine is awful so we picked some up at a duty-free store at the airport. The rest of the drinks were fine, very sweet but that's what the frozen drinks are. We could have asked for extra alcohol in the drinks but getting drunk was never our goal! We did have some fun shots!

The rooms. I am not sure what people complain about and why. I have seen- "dirty" "rock-hard beds" "no turn-down service" "musty smell". We found the rooms to be clean, the bed was hard but we had the mattress-topper that is stored between the mattress and the box-spring put on the bed and it was fine. Turn-down service is kind of hit or miss but again, who really cares? We had plenty of towels and they were replenished early in the evening which was awesome. We did not notice any kind of a smell and the room was very cool.

The staff. We thought they were great, they tried to get people involved in activities and were very friendly and enthusiastic. We did the stretching class, took out the catamarans and the kayaks, played mini-golf, bocci ball and bingo. I have seen a few trip reports that state that people were not aware of the times or the locations of activities. There are big boards in the lobby and down by the tropical side of the pool with everything listed and the times. There are multiple large maps showing locations and really, just ask if you can't find something.

The beach. The beach is spectacular and so is the snorkeling. We saw turtles and stingrays every time we went out-very entertaining. We didn't need to "save" chairs, there were always plenty.

The shows. You're not in Vegas people. They were entertaining in their own way, a couple were really good but you are so tired after all day in the sun that it's hard to stay awake!

The dinners. I read a lot of reports stating that they were unable to book dinners or get them at decent times. We booked when we checked in and got all the ones we wanted. 3 at 730 and 2 at 830.

There were a lot of families there and a lot of weddings! We watched a few of them and enjoyed it!

I love trip advisor but it is hard to read so many negative reports. I think if you can relax and just go with the flow a little that you can have a good time anywhere. I am sure that some people have legitimate complaints but I think that the Barcelo does a great job delivering a relaxing, tropical vacation. We will go back again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Great place. Very friendly and secure. Water park was great for the kids!! Shows at night were awesome!! Micheal Jackson and the circus performance were fantastic. They only down fall was the extra money for an upgrade. I love my beer. And part of the upgrade was international drinks. The only thing they had was warm corona. At one of the a la Cartes they had a different beer for 10 bucs!!! So I suggest bringing a cooler bag so you can chill the beer!! Other then that the place was awesome!!! And we will go back. But will not upgrade as there is no need!!!! Beach is great. And the snorkeling is top knotch.

• Stayed February 2013
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This was my first time to the Barcelo Colonial in the Mayan and it was the best resort we have ever stayed at in the 11 years of winter holidays.

The room, food, resort, beach, staff was all 99%. The hotel management was on hand constantly to make sure services went smoothly and that people were having a great holiday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I got very nervous reading reviews from the Barcelo Maya Colonial resort. I had many reservations. We decided to go there because my sister-in-law went there with friends and family and LOVED it. They had talked about it for the past 7 years. So here is my honest review.

We went from Jan 29, 2013 - Feb 5, 2013...yes just returned. The people working at the hotel were courteous.

ROOMS: We got our room right away and got a King size bed on the second floor which we had requested. We were facing the forest but that was ok, it was extremely peaceful and we could sit and watch the birds. We were given beach towels in our room and the room was very clean. The fridge was well stocked. The beds are hard, but I love hard beds. There were 4 pillow types (soft and hard) so you had a choice. The bathroom is clean and has a rain-shower. There were also soap dispensers filled with shampoo, conditioner and body wash. If you're picky with your products then you might want to bring your own. There is a makeup mirror and a hairdryer. The air conditioning worked well but if you put the fan on too high it made a noise. There is a good safe and an ironing board with iron. The towels were a bit rough, but they did the job. The sheets were a bit hard but very clean. Nothing you can't get used to.

I read in other reviews that people found bugs in their rooms which freaked me out. It all became very clear to me when I noticed that those who had rooms on the ground floor often left their balcony doors open. Of course you'll get bugs and maybe other creatures in your room if doors are left open.

BEACH/POOLS: Walking the grounds to the beach was really beautiful. They keep the grounds very green and clean. There weren't any huts on the beach but there were plenty off palm trees which give off shade. There were many pools, but none were heated. There was great music next to the pool so if you like the loud music and the aqua-aroebics, you will enjoy that spot. The ocean water was beautiful and clear. I brought my snorkelling kit but realized I didn't need it because the fish swam around your feet looking for food. It's beautiful. The first day we walked into the ocean, we needed water shoes 'cause there were many rocks where you enter in to the water. Amazingly enough, the rest of the week the rocks disappeared! It was great to walk in. There is not much room to swim because there is a lot of reef which is great for snorkelling, but we managed it.

FOOD: There are many buffets near the beach with a lot of variety in food, but if you test everything everyday, you will get bored. The variety is usually the same every day. The Marenostrum (seafood) and Kyoto (Japanese) were my favourite. The seafood was very tasty and the Kyoto was very entertaining and tasty as well. Men have to wear pants to the a la cart restaurants.

I can tell you I was very freaked out with some of the reviews, but really, you have to remember that you are in a foreign country! Remember that they are Spanish speaking people and you should respect everyone. Learn a bit of Spanish and it will work out well for everyone. Leaving tips always helps as well. Being away from the snow and the cold was well worth it. Enjoy it.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the top floor and near the beach. It can be very noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Very nice property that links 5 large hotel properties together. It's a wonder how they can accomodate a thousand members in our group in a coordinated fashion. Everything was handled from transport to and from the hotel right down to managing our dining (formal and informal). There's plenty to do like sea rafting, snorkeling, volleyball, basketball, tennis and such. Food was plentiful as well as the open bar. Protip: Do be careful about alcohol and the sun. It's a bad combo for those not fully initiated. Beach is pristine and the pool is really large where you also have a bar poolside. Overall, will come again.

Room Tip: Choose the top floors closest to the lobby so as to get the best sleep and avoid the noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HOT SPRINGS VILLAGE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I'm writing this as an afterthought. I just recently returned from another resort comparible to Barcello Maya/Colonial, where we met another couple who had stayed at the same two resorts as us. We both agreed that the food here was better, and that the beach was much better because of the snorkeling.We saw stingrays and many varieties of fish. The downside here was that you could not hardly find a staff person who could speak english, which to me is imperative in a front desk situation. The resort was beautiful, and the people were nice. My trip here was good,and though I didn't have children with me, the children that were there, were having a great time. I would recommend this resort, it was very nice.

Room Tip: I would go for the second or third floor, it helps with the musty tropical smells.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!