“Here's the truth and nothing but the truth...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Colonial to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Montreal
“Here's the truth and nothing but the truth...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I got very nervous reading reviews from the Barcelo Maya Colonial resort. I had many reservations. We decided to go there because my sister-in-law went there with friends and family and LOVED it. They had talked about it for the past 7 years. So here is my honest review.

We went from Jan 29, 2013 - Feb 5, 2013...yes just returned. The people working at the hotel were courteous.

ROOMS: We got our room right away and got a King size bed on the second floor which we had requested. We were facing the forest but that was ok, it was extremely peaceful and we could sit and watch the birds. We were given beach towels in our room and the room was very clean. The fridge was well stocked. The beds are hard, but I love hard beds. There were 4 pillow types (soft and hard) so you had a choice. The bathroom is clean and has a rain-shower. There were also soap dispensers filled with shampoo, conditioner and body wash. If you're picky with your products then you might want to bring your own. There is a makeup mirror and a hairdryer. The air conditioning worked well but if you put the fan on too high it made a noise. There is a good safe and an ironing board with iron. The towels were a bit rough, but they did the job. The sheets were a bit hard but very clean. Nothing you can't get used to.

I read in other reviews that people found bugs in their rooms which freaked me out. It all became very clear to me when I noticed that those who had rooms on the ground floor often left their balcony doors open. Of course you'll get bugs and maybe other creatures in your room if doors are left open.

BEACH/POOLS: Walking the grounds to the beach was really beautiful. They keep the grounds very green and clean. There weren't any huts on the beach but there were plenty off palm trees which give off shade. There were many pools, but none were heated. There was great music next to the pool so if you like the loud music and the aqua-aroebics, you will enjoy that spot. The ocean water was beautiful and clear. I brought my snorkelling kit but realized I didn't need it because the fish swam around your feet looking for food. It's beautiful. The first day we walked into the ocean, we needed water shoes 'cause there were many rocks where you enter in to the water. Amazingly enough, the rest of the week the rocks disappeared! It was great to walk in. There is not much room to swim because there is a lot of reef which is great for snorkelling, but we managed it.

FOOD: There are many buffets near the beach with a lot of variety in food, but if you test everything everyday, you will get bored. The variety is usually the same every day. The Marenostrum (seafood) and Kyoto (Japanese) were my favourite. The seafood was very tasty and the Kyoto was very entertaining and tasty as well. Men have to wear pants to the a la cart restaurants.

I can tell you I was very freaked out with some of the reviews, but really, you have to remember that you are in a foreign country! Remember that they are Spanish speaking people and you should respect everyone. Learn a bit of Spanish and it will work out well for everyone. Leaving tips always helps as well. Being away from the snow and the cold was well worth it. Enjoy it.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the top floor and near the beach. It can be very noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

1,916 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Polish first
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Very nice property that links 5 large hotel properties together. It's a wonder how they can accomodate a thousand members in our group in a coordinated fashion. Everything was handled from transport to and from the hotel right down to managing our dining (formal and informal). There's plenty to do like sea rafting, snorkeling, volleyball, basketball, tennis and such. Food was plentiful as well as the open bar. Protip: Do be careful about alcohol and the sun. It's a bad combo for those not fully initiated. Beach is pristine and the pool is really large where you also have a bar poolside. Overall, will come again.

Room Tip: Choose the top floors closest to the lobby so as to get the best sleep and avoid the noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HOT SPRINGS VILLAGE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I'm writing this as an afterthought. I just recently returned from another resort comparible to Barcello Maya/Colonial, where we met another couple who had stayed at the same two resorts as us. We both agreed that the food here was better, and that the beach was much better because of the snorkeling.We saw stingrays and many varieties of fish. The downside here was that you could not hardly find a staff person who could speak english, which to me is imperative in a front desk situation. The resort was beautiful, and the people were nice. My trip here was good,and though I didn't have children with me, the children that were there, were having a great time. I would recommend this resort, it was very nice.

Room Tip: I would go for the second or third floor, it helps with the musty tropical smells.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was my very FIRST visit to Mexico and to an All Inclusive Resort. I lived in the Cayman Islands for 7 years, so I have a good knowledge about beaches and high class hotels, sadly, Barcelo Colonial did not meet my low expectations! We stayed there Jan. 19th - 27. We had 2 rooms.

My Pros and Cons
PROS
Beautiful Beach and Snorkeling - lots of wildlife in shallow water
Beautiful Resort with lots to to for family and kids
Nice Rainwater Shower Head in all rooms

My Cons
Room dirty upon 3am arrival
Stained Sheets
We tipped great every day and only had 1 night of {Turn down service - which only included 2 chocolates on your bed} others had it more or less depends on your maid...- very inconsisitant!!
Line ups at Buffet for hot food
Line ups in Bathrooms with no toilet paper
Line ups at all bars {staff shortage?}
Food very average, , only saw bacon 1 day out of 8 for breakfast
A friend had all her money and jewelary stolen, due to not locking her safe!!!
My daily 2 week supply of prescription contact lens' went missing {NEVER had this happen at any hotel in my life}
And last but not least, had to deal with very rude, arrogant, lazy guy at reception desk!

This was our experience, paid a premium price $1600 and definitely didn't get premium service, save your money and go someplace else that will appreciate your business and give your personalized treatment. I will return to Mexico, but not to Barcelo.

Room Tip: Stay at Jalisco if you want a quiet place
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Marshall, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Our family of 4 just returned from our first trip to the Colonial and stayed Jan.19 - 26th. We had 2 rooms, my wife and I and our 18 yr old son and 21 yr old daughter. After reading some of the recent negative reviews, I wondered if these people actually stayed at the same resort. Yes, there were a few small issues, but if you're looking for perfection at a resort, you usually have to spend big bucks 1,500 pp +. We spent 1,241 pp, well worth the money. Rooms: We had requested 2 - 2nd or 3rd floor rooms, which we didn't get. And as some reviews stated, our room was musty smelling, while our kids room was fine. We asked that evening for a 2nd or 3rd floor room change, and they told us to come back the next day about 11:00 am. We did and got our 2nd floor room, was just fine.Very clean, nothing outdated except TV, but I didn't go to Mexico to watch TV! I've seen complaints about check in, it was quick. We went straight to reserve our specialty restaurants, it was easy and we got pretty much all the times we wanted at 4 places. The quality at all was good. I've also seen complaints about service and unfriendly employees. We had a slow draining sink in our bath and loose cabinet hinge. I saw what looked like a maintenance guy in the hall, and asked him if he could look at these. Although he spoke little english, he quickly fixed these 2 issues with a smile and was on his way. The cleaning ladies and ground keepers all said hola' and smiled as we walked by. The beach area where the chairs and palm trees are was raked every morning by hand by 6:30 am. The pool area, miles of walkways, and beach areas are BEAUTIFUL, you won't find much better for the money. Beach: yes there are some rocks along certain areas of this huge Barcelo complex, but just walk a little ways and you'll find many areas of nice sand. Snorking: Fantastic! Swim under the pier with HUNDREDS of fish. In front of Palace, swim out to last swim buoy nearest Palace. Water is about 10 - 12 feet deep, with a fantastic reef. Huge variety of colorful fish. To see sea turtles snorkel early morning or late afternoon (3:30 to 4:00) in front of Palace. I saw 7 to 8 one afternoon plus 2 huge stingrays.Buffets: I've had better, and i've had worse. Some items were cold when we got them, but over all our family gave it a thumbs up. Our favorite was the breakfast buffet, lots of variety. The beach lunches also had good variety, more than just burgers, fries, and chicken nuggets. We were told by the hotel that they were booked full the week we were there, yet you really didn't feel crowded at restaurants, the pool, or beach. I'm early riser,loved watching the sunrise, and usually got our beach chairs early. I would say you usually had to about 9:00 to get 4 or more chairs in the best spots, other wise you might have to spend a little time looking. Although this is all-inclusive, we did tip cleaning personal ,waiters,bartenders. I saw these people woking very hard to make us wan't to come back, which we plan to. My wife and I have been to some nice places in the carribian, and we both agreed leaving this place was harder than any we've been to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Just traveled to Barcelo Maya Colonial and was very disappointed. Service is terrible and front desk people were not responsive to requests. The rooms stunk like mildew and were very funky smelling. Bed sheets were stained and beds were hard as a rock and hurt our backs. Food was worst I've ever had at a hotel. Drinks were watered down. All in all, a terrible experience.

Room Tip: Stay at Barcelo Palace instead
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Orem, Utah, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Pros:
-huge resort
-beautiful facilities, beach, grounds, pool, everything is kept clean
-great for snorkeling, especially at the Palace hotel side and by the pier
-enjoyed the Mexican restaurant
-staff works very hard and are very friendly
-great variety of desserts and the coconut ice cream is a must try
-variety of watersports included

Cons:
-buffet food is a hit and miss, the guacamole from one of the buffet was sour, meat was overcooked and tough
-steak house is not that good
-climate control in the room is broken
-no free wifi and $15 per day

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!