So when your batteries are in need of recharging, and your brains need a rest, this is a very good option. Typically, I am not a huge fan of the 'All Inclusive' as it does not really count as 'real travel' in my opinion at least.
Whilst I was in the industry, this would be considered a 'Fly and Flop', often looked down on by active, independent travelers, but a God send for others, especially those with (young) children.
Having said that, there is a time when I do not want to have to think too much about anything and so this is a perfect destination to recharge.
The property is huge, the buffets are extensive and you have a choice of several good restaurants; my party seemed to really favor both the Italian, and Japanese ones; the consensus was that the Steak house was the weakest in terms of food quality.
Great for kids, safe beach. Only honest thing I have to report is that we had to move rooms after spending the first night in one with a distinctive musty smell. They made good and we had a very enjoyable rest of our stay.
Friendly staff (hey, it helps if you try and speak some Spanish, beyond the 'Dos Cervezas por Favor' ); please take care of them with the occasional gratuity; never expected, but certainly appreciated as they work long hours for little money.
Some of the beach chairs are beginning to show signs of over use, but hey, it's all good.
Great location for excursions you can either have organized by yourself, or hire a car and go independent or simply use the 'collectivo' (most economical option)
The Jaguar Night Club actually plays music you can still dance and listen to, this place lights up after the organized, nightly entertainment which overall I found to be very enjoyable and professionally done.
So yes, if you are in the mood for a getaway along the lines I mentioned, you could do worse.
I experienced great WiFi; no technical hiccups, nagging to first view a promo site or repeatedly having to enter a password; Skype works really well.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Barcelo, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Tingo, HotelsClick, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Barcelo Maya Colonial reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Colonial
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach Resort
- Barcelo Maya Caribe & Beach Resort
- Barcelo Maya Tropical & Colonial Beach
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Riviera Maya/Puerto Aventuras, Mexico