“Barcelo Maya Colonial GREAT TIME :)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Colonial to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
portland
“Barcelo Maya Colonial GREAT TIME :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We traveled to the Barcelo Maya Colonial first week of May 2012 and had a great time. Family of 4, kids ages 6 and 9. Had a basic room, first floor near pool. Great location. Would prefer to upgrade next time to a separate bedroom for adults for more space.
KIDS: They absolutely loved the water park and beaches, snorkeling and we saw the turtles right in front of the hotel. Walked down to Barcelo Maya Palace to snorkel and see all the fish. There are fish off pier in front of Colonial but we liked shallow waters by the Palace. The kids club had great activities and was safe at the Colonial. The teachers were wonderful. Our 6 year old loved it and it was a nice break out of the sun in the afternoons. Lots of food for kids at poolside restaurants. Loved their ice cream stations too.
ADULTS: we loved all the a la carte dinners. As a family the Japanese restaurant was a hit! Kids loved it and so did we. Also liked the steak house. We only ate one time at the regular restaurant at night and did the a la cartes other nights. First week of May no problems with waiting at restaurants or problems getting reservations like I read in so many reviews. However, we were there during a non peak time which I would recommend if you can get away then.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

1,984 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Polish first
Quincy, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Let me start this review off by saying that this is the 3rd time in 4 years we have stayed at The Barcelo Colonial. The first 2 years were great. This time not so much. We went with friends who had never been to Mexico before and I wanted them to experience something different then Cancun. There were 7 of us. 2 couples and 3 singles.

Cons:
1. We booked our trip last April. We all wanted king size beds. Not one of us recieved one. We know we are not garanteed a king size bed but booking last April. Really?
2. The electricity in our room was turned off 3 times while we were there for 5 days. We would leave our room in the morning and return late afternoon and the circut breaker would be flipped. The first time I called the front desk and someone came to fix it very fast. The next 2 days I would just flip the breaker on myself. (and before you say it, yes I was leaving tips in my room for housekeeping). None of the other people in our group had this problem.
3. Its time for new beds. The ones there are worn out.
4. All 3 times we stayed at the resort the drinks were just "ok". No bartender on the whole resort makes a drink the same.
5. The last night we were there, housekeeping didn't leave us any towels. Had to call to get some.

Pros:
1. Beautiful place. Very well maintained.
2. Awesome beach. The one reason why we have went there 3 times.
3. Great food. Always a great selection at the buffet and beachside grills.
4. Great shopping if you didnt want to leave the resort.

This is going to be my last time going to this resort. I know this sounds childish but paying $2400 for 5 nights and not getting to sleep next to my wife because we had double beds kind of upset me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
cobourg canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband, myself and 13 friends and family spent a week at the Barcelo Colonial the first week of September. Cannot say enough about the resort. First off the grounds are gorgeous!! Constant primping by the grounds staff make this a beautiful resort. Rooms were very nice and staff were very accomidating and curtious. We had two small children along with us and the resort was excelllent for family of all ages as kids activities and pool area is within the adult areas but not so that the adults without children couldnt enjoy the pool would go back in a heart beat and would highly recommend

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Wasaga Beach, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was our first trip to the Barcelo family of resorts, and we traveled with a couple who go there regularly. Spent one week from Oct 13-Oct 17.

Booked into the Colonial, with Air Transat and got the Prestige Package. Check in went quickly and before we knew it we were off to explore the resort. It is very large as others mentioned, but we have no problem walking and it helped work off the food we ate all week.

We booked our a la carte restaturants with the concierge shortly after arriving. We booked the steak house, Italian and oriental with no problems. We got times and dates we asked for. We also paid $15/person to eat at the French restaurant in the Palace. It was well worth it, as the meal and service were tremendous. Of the 4, only the Italian was a bit of a disappointment. The others were great, and especially the Oriental were our cook Pedro put on a fine show for us while he prepared our food.

The buffets were good, but the food was a little repetitive. I am a beef eater, but I was looking for somethings else by the end of the week. Other resorts I have stayed at had turkeys, roast pork and roast beef to serve, but never saw anything like that here. I can't believe I'm saying I got tired of eating rib-eye steaks!! Breakfasts were also very good. If you are a bacon lover and don't see it out, just ask for it. They always have it, but sometimes it is under the counter as there is no spot for it amongst the hot trays on some days.

The pools were great, the pool bars were a bit of a disappointment as others have said. The drinks are watered down. There were a few good bartenders who would add more alcohol if you asked. One special guy was Conception. He served at the Captain Morgan beach bar the first morning it re-opened. He just poured the alcohol until you said "stop or enough".

The lobby bar's were excellent, both drinks and service. There were also lots of munchies available if you hadn't got enough food elsewhere.

The rooms were great and the balconies were a nice size if you wanted to sit out there. The only issue was with the shower heads. They are large and flat with many holes. Although you get good coverage, you sacrifice the water pressure. If you love standing under a blasting shower, these ones aren't for you.

The service was excellent everywhere accept the pool bars. We had no issues communicating with any of the staff.

This was the first time I had gone snorkeling in the ocean. It was an amazing experience. The coral was magnificent, the fish were plentiful, we saw several manta rays and many turtles.

There is an ATV tour inside the resort. For $35.00 you get an our on an ATV as well as a swim in a cenote, all without leaving the property. They even have a photographer that travels with the group, and you can buy your pictures later for an extra charge. You go through the jungle, ride on the beach, and even out on the resort's main road where you can open it up and get some speed.

This trip was just for two couple's, but I immediately noticed the 3 water park's for kids. I had visions of my grand-daughters frolicking in there. Maybe next trip.

This resort was well worth the money. This may now become our resort for future trips. Our other two favorite resorts just couldn't compare.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just got back from the Barcelo Colonial in Riveria Maya, Mexico. Here's my analysis:

1.) Flew through Mexico City (on Delta then Aero Mexico). Avoid if you can. Once you arrive you go downstairs and go to immigration. Then you find your bag and put it on a conveyor belt. Next you go upstairs to the domestic terminal and catch your flight. Kind of a pain.
2.) When you walk through the airport in Cancun you will see 2 groups of people with ID's around their neck all dressed alike. KEEP WALKING. They will ask you which shuttle service you are looking for, forget them. They want to pitch you timeshare. Go outside and you will have someone holding up a sign with either your name or the transportation service. Ours was Olympus. They were very professional and courteous.
3.) It's a long ride to the resort. Try to relax. Took us about 2 hours. You will go through 2 police checkpoints but because you are in a tourist vehicle they wave you right through.
4.) The resort, WOW! A bright, beautiful, open air lobby. A beautiful huge carving was behind the reception desk. Check-in was effortless and they gave us a drink while they explained the paperwork. We were upgraded to the Colonial because the Caribe was being renovated. It was late and we were starving and tired, no problem Senor, leave your bags here and go to the buffet. Once they put the bracelet on our wrist we went to the buffet. Dinner was great. Lots to choose from and I, being a health nut found plenty. After dinner we went to our room. My wife and I both paused at the front door. Again, WOW! Great room, it was big, had a tub with a shower, a separate shower nice size bathroom countertop and a glass sliding door which is where the toilet was located. Our room looked out to the pool and to my surprise, it was very quiet.
5.) Yes, they have two 24 hour bars. How perfect is that!
6.) Beautiful beach. The property is actually 3 in 1. Caribe has the best beach, long, wide and flat. Getting into the water on the Colonial side is tricky (lots of rocks) and there is a steep drop off 6-8 feet from the waterline, be careful.
7.) The buffet is excellent. Your on vacation, have a mimosa or three. Want an egg white omelet? No problem. Want smoked salmon in it? No problem, you will find it on the middle island (where you get your plates) and the cook will add it to your veggies.
8.) Ready for some sun? Plenty of chairs available at both the beach and pool.
9.) Need a drink? Go to the swim-up bar for a few cocktails. Oh, there are two swim-up bars.
10.) The restaurants require reservations. I overslept and missed the seafood restaurant reservation (too many mosquito coasts!) but went to the Japanese steakhouse. My wife and I were the only ones at the table and that made the show even more special. Food was pretty good.
11.) I workout 5 days/week and believe it or not, I wanted to workout while on vacation. The resort gym was beyond my expectation. Open air, pretty well equipped. Dumbbells only go up to 50, no Olympic bar but they have a Smith machine. With some modifications I could do my regular workout. They have a cooler full of bottled water and towels are within reach. After working out I went to the steam room. Couldn't ask for more.
11.) My two very minor complaints:a.) the bartenders will not pour you a strong drink. You really need to stay on them if you want it strong. b.) I wish the reservation agent told me about the black bracelet before our last day at the resort. The black bracelet gets you access to as many passes to the restaurants to match the nights you are on the property. It also gets you free room service, free wifi and the top shelf alcohol. The cost is $40/day but you may be able to negotiate it down to $30.
The Barcelo properties generally cater to a Spanish clientele, but you will be treated like gold. Most of the staff speaks English and those that can't access those that can. Be friendly, give a dollar or two tip to those that you interact with and you will have a great time. If you have a question or a problem, find a manager. They will be more than happy to take care to address your needs.

Room Tip: Pool side was quiet. Could be because it was off-season. Ask for hand towels, our disappeared after...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed at the Barcelo Tropical the week of October 12, 2012. The hotel was beautiful and the grounds were amazing. We enjoyed our first floor room in the Yucatan Bldg and did not find the noise of the theatre disturbing. We were not back in our room until later in the evening. If you are traveling with children you may want another location in the resort. Room was good, not luxury but very nice. Food was good and plenty of choices, Restaurants we enjoyed were the Japanese and seafood. Staff was more than accomodating and always had a smile and were always there to help. Check in was smooth and we had a private transfer from Cancun. (highly recommend) Olympus was prompt and courteous. Took a taxi into playa and enjoyed the day. Best excursion was Catamaya.net out of Puerto Adventura. Snorkling, full sail and wonderful staff made a great day. We traveled with 4 family members and would definately go again. Hardest working staff on the Mexican Rivera. Polls were great and swim up bar was convenient. Luis (Red Head) was a blast. Beach was the best I have seen on the resort side. A little rocky but plenty of places close to get into the water without any problem. Water was like an aquarium with fish swiming all around you. Bring a banana from the grill to feed them. Lots of places to snorkel, especially around the pier. For the money you can't beat this place, have no reservations and don't listen to those who complain about everything. We have been to all inclusives all over Playa, Puerto Adventura etc and loved it.

Room Tip: Did not see ocean front rooms, all looked about the same
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Yorba Linda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel with gorgeous grounds. The rooms aren't total luxury but definitely okay for the money. Specifically we had a small leak in the bathroom whenever we flushed the toilet in the handicap room at the Tropical Resort. Had trouble controlling temp in room as well.
But, the grounds and lobby made up for that. Pools were awesome. My only complaint was that jacuzzi at main pool was not HOT.
Bars were great. Wonderful service and delicious drinks!
Restaurants were amazing!! Loved them all equally and the service was fantastic. Buffets were good too. Lots of choices. Never went hungry and always satisfied!
Beach was gorgeous. Not as pretty as Playa Del Carmen but quite lovely with warm water and GREAT snorkeling at the pier and at the coral reef to the left of pier facing ocean, Just ask the employees to show you. Incidentally, a member of my party had a hard time in the water and everyone nearby came to his immediate aide. Well, everyone EXCEPT the tourists who just watched his struggle. The people who LIVE here are wonderful!!
Hotel's best feature are the PEOPLE who work there. VERY accommodating, cheerful and helpful in every way. Thank you EVERYBODY at the Tropical for making my stay very enjoyable. Would definitely return!

Room Tip: If you are not much of a walker ask for a room near the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!