“An amazing experience - Que experiencia increíble!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Colonial to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Colonial
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Zurich, Switzerland
“An amazing experience - Que experiencia increíble!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

It was our first time in Mexico and we stayed at fabulous Barcelo Maya Colonial for 10 days: needless to say that we fell in love for Mexico and we extremely enjoyed our time here at Barcelo!

Our experience here was simply amazing!

Colonial is one of the five hotels within Barcelo Riviera Maya resort (the other four are Palace Deluxe, Tropical, Caribe and Beach), but Colonial is the best located since it is exactly in the middle of the resort, which means you can easily enjoy all the facility that it offers!

In the resort there are tens of restaurant a la carte and a buffet for each hotel: you can book 1 dinner a la carte for every 2 days of staying, while the other nights you simply enjoy the great and wide selection of the buffets. We were extremely happy with the food as well as with the service: all workers are very kind and polite, always available for a chat or an explanation

During the day you can either enjoy a visit to Tulum Maya site (c. 30 min driving with the “collectivo”) or simply resting on the beach or on swimming pool: you have 5 pools with a water bar in every of them. Moreover you will be entertained throughout all day by the entertainment team involving you in several activities. Moreover you can also play golf, archery, volleyball, basket, pool, ping pong, or simply go to the SPA or visit the several shops located within the resort!

In a nutshell: I just got back from 2 days and I’m already trying to figure out when to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor and if you go to the Colonial, ask to be in the Jalisco building
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

1,935 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Polish first
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Once again, we have just arrived home from the Colonial. What an Amazing place. It wasn't a surprise to us to find everything spotless, just as it was last year. Met quite a few others who were returning to this resort for the 2nd 3rd, 4th and one guy for the 5th time, and he says he's been all over the Mayan and this is by far the BEST hotel. Food was great, Drinks were great ALL staff was amazing. Other reports say the pool water was cold, but I hate cold water and never did I find the pool chilly. Once again Our now 3.5 year old girl had a blast, For anyone, families or couples, this place will not disappoint.

Room Tip: We love the Jalisco Building, Very Quiet, and very Central to everything!
Maple Ridge District Municipality, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

This was our fourth time to the Mayan Riviera and the first time at this resort. This resort is beautiful. The beaches and pools are magnificent. The Colonial is much nicer than the Beach resort. We loved the dive shop on site. The staff there, is FANTASTIC. The food is fine, you can always find something you like. I love that you can snorkel right off the beach and the dock. Places I've stayed, Sandos Playacar, Catalonia Yucatan, Dreams Puerto Adventuras, and the Barcelo Colonial. I think the Barcelo is the prettiest of them all. Dreams had the best food and drinks with Sandos coming in second place. The entertainment was the best at the Catalonia but they had the worst beach. I would go back to the Barcelo for their beach and pools. Service however is the poorest at the Barcelo. It takes FOREVER to get a drink anywhere at this resort. Don't even get me started about trying to get a drink at the disco. I did after day 3, discover a self serve bar. Tipping usually makes a big difference, and we are big tippers. At this resort, it didn't make any difference AT ALL. So, don't bother, unless you actually get some service. We are very friendly, well mannered and speak a little bit of Spanish, but honestly it really didn't make a difference. We're really very happy to be in Mexico so, nothing really bothers us. We've been to Xel-Ha, Xcaret, Rio Secreto, Tulum, Akumal Beach, Playa, Puerto Adventuras, Coco Bongo, and recommend all. Don't just stay at your resort, get out there and enjoy. Get yourself to, or a book a tour to Akumal and swim with the sea turtles, and rays. If you're looking for sunshine, beautiful beaches, and an incredible ocean, you can not go wrong here.

Room Tip: Jalisco 3rd floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
nova scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I will keep this review short and to the point. We stayed at the Colonial from Feb.23 to Mar 1 -travelled via Air Transat and stayed in a "regular" deluxe room. Check in was long due to the receptionist having to explain multiple items on the map but it was good info so no big deal. Rooms were ready upon arrival @ 1400 -great! Overall the room was kept clean throughout the week with only 1 issue that required a call & visit to the front desk. The maid had removed all the towels and robes but they were replaced by the time we returned from dinner. Turn down service was inconsistent -only happened 3 of our 7 nights. The towel game is definitely played here with towels on chairs as early as 0530 -I saw this when we would head out for our morning run -so you either join them or take your chances. Lots of chairs at the beach but no shade so the chairs under the shaded pool areas were premium with people saving them and not showing up for the bulk of the day if at all.
Food was really good and flavorful and the wait staff were attentive providing drink refills in a timely manner. The one downside was the reservation system. Although you are guaranteed 4 with Transat -you will be lucky to get them before 2130 or 2200 -we tried as soon as we had been checked in. We lucked out and got 3 at good times - 1 being due to a cancellation but then we arrived at the restaurant and were told that WE had cancelled. The head gal at the restaurant was really good though and got us a table within 20 minutes of the original time.
Overall the resort is clean, food is good at all the restaurants -including the buffet, service is good, beverages are not watered down and the sun was warm. Go and enjoy this moderately priced resort. PS -the beds are hard and you will walk a lot!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Just returned form a week 2/18-2/25. Overall a wonderful family vacation. We traveled with our 2 toddlers ages 3 and 2 and my husbands parents. Previously we have stayed at the Iberostar Lindo, Gran Bahia Principe, Now Jade, Iberostar Dominican (DR). Overall this would probably be my top choice of place, very comparable to Ibeorstar Lindo. The service at the Lindo was better but the grounds and beach front location here was preferable.

If you're looking for beautiful pools, scenery, beach, grounds, and amenities for all ages this is a great place. I found the check-in service and front desk to be my main complaints. At achek in we were given a room next to the theater even though I emailed weeks ahead to specifically ask that this not happen so my children could sleep. The room was ont he ground floor (6422) and I recommend not staying ground. It was dark and damp. After requesting to be moved we were told we'd be moved the next morning. The next mornign we were told no rroms were available so I had to argue for 2 hours to get a different room of which we ahd to pay for in premium club. They cut us a break b/c we insisted it was ridiculous as it was their mistake. I must say the upgrade to premium was well worth it. Free room sevrice, bigger room, pool front/ocean view, and 3rd floor. For anyone with kids the extra sq feet of that room is a big help. My other issue was gettign a crib for my son. They told me they had none left ( I also emailed weeks ahead for this) and they told me they would be sure to accomodate us. I spent 30 mins on the phone demanding a crib and on hold for managers until finally refusing to take no and miraculously a crub appeared 10 mins later.

Once we had our crib and were moved to a new room on day 3 everyhting was uphilla nd wonderful. The pools and grounds are amazing, food pretty goog for all inclusive and decent variety, breakfast was my favorite. The kids pools are wonderful, the beach was great and the drink service, entertainment staff were great. Every night my kids could not wait to go to the mini disco and dance on stage at 8pm. Everything was conveneiently located. The drink service with premium club gives you alot better choices (Don Julio, etc). The beer on tap is Cornoa or Modelo which was nice b/c most places it is Dos Equis only.

We ate at the buffet 6 of 7 nights for 2 reasons, we have toddlers who don't sit long and we tried to make reservations and it was impossible to get more than one before 10pm. The Japanese was pretty good but small portions and minimal hibachi show tables. Can't comment on the others but I though the food at the buffet was just as good. Food was good but not great but you don't go to Mexico for food. I alwasy found somehting I liked for myself and the kids.

Bring your own take n toss sippy cups for toddlers and a spnge/dish soap to wash them. also bring toys/floats, etc b/c they charge ridiculous rates for them there.

We walked around alot and it was easy to see the difference in beach/caribe side (not as nice) but they had alot of neat pools/bars as well that we tried. The colonial/tropical seemed much nicer and the palace looked even nicer. I would like to go back next year and am looking into the palace though I'd certainly return to the colonial. The grounds immaculate and gorgeous, so many thigns to do there as well each day.

Some advice would be to make sure when you check in that you don't get ground floor and are not facing the theater (the speakers fell like they're in your room) and to ask to be close to the pool areas. Some of the rooms are very far. I thought premiyum club was well worth it but they had it avaialble to anyone at check in for $60/night which is half of what you'd pay to book it so that is the way to go.

be aware that they honor no requests ahead of time although they seem very sincere and convincing and do your research ahead of time on rooms that you do not want b/c once they assign you and you see it, its difficult to swicth it.

Weather was amazing, 84 everyday and pools were sop refreshing and perfect. We usually go in July and I will never do that again after experiencing February, its perfect.

My only complaints were check-in/front desk and once that was resolved we had an amazing week. I definitely go back

Room Tip: Use private transfers - USA for a smooth ride form the airport. Its a good 50 minute drive but by av...
Sidney, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

This was our second time staying at the Barceló Maya. Our first visit was in January of 2011 for my sisters' wedding, with a group of 30 immediate- and extended-family. We were there for one week and we stayed in the Tropical (Yucatan building). There were some small hick-ups as we "learned how to be tourists in this resort", but all-said-and-done, we had an amazing time. We returned in February/March 2012, with just our immediate family (my wife and two children (7 and 5 years old)) and stayed one week in the Colonial (Jalisco building). Although my overall experience between visits was very different (given the circumstances around both vacations), I found the general plusses and minuses with the resort itself to be similar for both trips.

Some of my thoughts and tips on this resort…

The grounds are simply beautiful! The architecture, water features and gardens are all grand, beautiful and immaculate. In my opinion, your largest tip should be left to one of the gardeners. The pathways are well-designed, extensive and well-lit at night. If you appreciate walking and beautiful scenery – this resort will not disappoint. In addition to the extensive manicured gardens, the designers incorporated bands of natural native vegetation between the buildings that house all kinds of native “urban” animal life. Spend a few minutes walking around them (or through them on the pathways) and you’ll spot all kinds of birds and critters. Try different times of the day to spot difference creatures. Our kids are real nature-nuts and we would invariably get stalled when passing through these spaces on account of spotting some new critter or plant.

TIP – carry a map with you – the front desk will give you one when you check in and if they don’t, ask for it. The reasons are many, here is a few – it’s quite east to get lost until you get used to the place; there are five ways-to-everywhere and the buildings look very similar. Also, you are guaranteed to encounter a few folks lost on their adventure and it can be fun to lend a hand while also meeting someone new in the process. It is also handy when someone is telling you about some place they visited… you can pull out the map and get them to show you where, eliminating some guessing - a mistake that may cost you a long walk not bargained for. It also helps if you don’t speak Spanish and you are trying to get directions from a staff member that speaks nothing but – a map is much better communication tool than arbitrary hand waving.

This is a big resort and there are plenty of room options. As far as getting specifically what you ask for, it's probably best not to go in with too many expectations, as I am quite convinced that they have their own secret formula for placing guests in the hotel - which is probably a combination of guest satisfaction, loyalty, priority Club Premium rates, cancellation management, etc. To avoid disappointment - I wouldn’t bet on any specific room-guarantee no matter who gives it to you. If this is important to you – I would either get ready to buy your way to potential satisfaction (Club Premium) or leave this concern at home. This is probably the number one complaint that I heard from other visitors… “I asked for this room/building and I got something different”. This was a frustration for us when we came with a big group and we had asked (and “guaranteed”) to be together. But after a day or two, the importance of our room location faded into the background. I’ve heard several stories of people being moved when a room to their liking became available, but in almost every case they said something like, “after we spent the night, we probably should have just stayed put, it was fine”.

The pools are fantastic. They are 4-feet deep in most areas (3-feet in some) and snake their way through most of the beach-front side of the resort and provide a host of areas and alcoves to play or relax. They were always clean (as a resort pool could be) and at the perfect temperature to escape the heat.

There are three kid’s pool areas that provide a variety of themed waterslide areas and spray-things. We played at the Colonial kid’s park most of the time. On our first visit, our kids were too young to swim and we felt safe letting them play there. We needed to actively supervise, as the water park area has several sides and alcoves and your kids won’t be visible from any one spot.

There is a club for kids called the Barcy Club where you can drop of your children. We were reluctant, but our kids loved it! The Barcy staff are awesome! Our kids were begging to go back every day. If your kids are younger than 3 you have to accompany them – which I don’t understand why anyone would want to do, as you might as well do your own activities with them. If you have young kids, go check it out. There is a schedule of activities out front of the clubs (there are 3, one at each resort). Also, just before each of the nightly shows in the main theatre, there is the “Mini Disco” for kids. The same staff that manage the Barcy Club will be there to have some fun on stage with the kids – a great continuation of your kids’ day at Barcy Club – and it helps them meet some of the other kids and build a relationship that is sure to build throughout your stay.

If the resort is busy and you would like chairs by the pool, you are going to have to get your towels out early. On our latest trip, I (or my wife) would get up at 5:45am and put our towels out on chairs; then go back to sleep for a while. It turned out to be a benefit, the sunrises are amazing! The towel game is just a fact of big-resort life; the early bird gets the choice of chairs. There are plenty of spots though, when we missed getting up early, we usually had a home base secured by early afternoon. Not necessarily where we wanted it but being forced to sit somewhere different gave us a chance to explore the resort from a different point. When you have small kids, you’ll want to get up early and make sure you secure a spot next to the kid’s park.

The beach is beautiful. If you are going to spend several days on the beach, I suggest walking the full length of the beach to find a spot that fits your liking. There are good snorkeling spots and good swimming spots. If you are an avid snorkeler, know that the reef is relatively dead out front of the resort but there are several fish to see (the odd turtle) and a sample of living reef corals. Go for a scuba trip if you want to see some living reefs. I’ve taken a few trips with the SCUBA service at the resort and they are quite good – although, expect the snorkeling sites to improve as you demonstrate more skill – although I couldn’t get anyone to admit it, I can understand that

Book your reservations for the a la cart restaurants when you check in. The longer you wait the more you will have to compromise on the time of your reservation, if you are able to get one. I’ve never found the food to be spectacularly different than the buffets, but the atmosphere is definitely several steps up.

If you came with a travel company like Transat and hope to speak with them - meet your on-site representative and get their contact numbers as soon as you can – although they have a desk just down the hall from the main check-in counter, they can be elusive. And when they are there, you often have to wait to see them (a waste of valuable vacation time). They are a great resource for advice, but don’t depend on them to work as a liaison between you and the hotel – I found that you really have to be your own advocate here. When booking an excursion through the reps, be a smart tourist, you can expect them to be bias towards certain entertainment providers, probably for a whole host of reasons. If you want something different, be insistent. As an alternative, we heard countless times from satisfied people that they called the excursions themselves and took a taxi to the location, sometimes saving significant $’s. We always went through Transat, but would try booking ourselves the next time.

The buffets are huge and fantastic. In my opinion, they are all you can expect from a buffet that is serving hundreds of people from as many ethnic backgrounds. If you are getting bored of taking exactly what you see in front of you, remember you can be creative. This is a silly example, but my 5-year old son made a ham sandwich one evening for dinner; he had to go to four stations to get the ingredients he wanted but he was supper happy with the result. Also, if there is an ingredient or something you are really looking for that would make your experience better, try asking a staff member or your server. On sever occasions I asked for items (e.g., tortillas) that they were not on the buffet at the time – and I was never refused. Also, Buffet 101, the earlier you get there, the fresher most of the food will be. I heard some people complaining about stale pancakes and when I asked they said they were there near the end of breakfast service – I know people expect to get the same quality and selection at the buffet whenever they arrive, but come-on, that’s just not realistic.

The staff are generally very friendly. This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone, but I found that if I treated them with respect I was returned the same respect. What is a little shocking is that, for a five-star resort, I found there was very little expertise for dealing with a disgruntled or unhappy guest. You will definitely have an advantage if you speak Spanish but if you don’t speak Spanish, I found that if you are patient and respectful – you will get what you are looking for – which can be frustrating. Just don’t speak condescendingly (that is, loudly and slowly, as if that will make you easier to understand). I watched several people try this method on staff – especially when frustrated, and they were not granted the same respect. And more so here than at other resorts I’ve been to – I found that the customer isn’t always right here. When I was insistent, while also being patient and understanding (and made my best attempt at Spanish from time to time), I never had a problem – when I wasn’t, service dropped off very quickly.

I didn’t find the mattresses very comfortable and the linens were a little starchy for my liking. They could really improve on the quality of their beds. Sadly, it is a major point of satisfaction when staying away from home; Please Barcelo Maya, fix this. Thank goodness the air-conditioners worked (remember to set your temperature, turn it on and close your doors so it doesn’t turn off). Also, the room is equipped with motion sensors that control lights and air conditioners – so don’t be surprised when the air in the room isn’t perfectly to your liking when you arrive in the room after being away – we always found that it got down to temperature very quickly.

The bars are generally well-stocked but we found they were understaffed during busy times. If it’s busy, put your “patience hat” on and don’t order anything complicated. I was actually told “no” several times when ordering a Caipirinha during a busy time; I would have preferred to have been told how long the wait would be instead of “no” (certainly not a five-star treatment) – but could see the frustration of the tenders showing through – they didn’t seem to be frustrated with me rather with having to work in understaffed conditions. If you’re a beer/Corona fan, no needs to worry – unless the keg runs out – then switch to tequila.

I was reluctant to rely on life guards. I never saw one in the tower at the pool we frequented (maybe they were hiding in a better location – I’m not sure) and the ones at the beach could often been seen chatting and not watching swimmer. That said, there seemed to be one constantly circling the kid’s pool. We lost sight of our 5-year-old for a moment and my wife approached the life guard for help, she jumped to attention and was very helpful – And actually located our son - who had taken an unannounced last-minute emergency-run to the bathrooms. If you have concerns, I would approach the lifeguards on duty and let them know what your specific concerns are. I never felt unsafe.

This certainly isn’t rocket science - but I heard my share of people mumbling about it. Everyone will tell you that you don’t need to tip. It’s true you don’t. But expect your service to improve significantly if you do. No brainer, but there it is. I left a dollar here and there when and where I appreciated something. A few I would recommend not to miss: any transportation provider, your host, the bar tenders (not for every drink, but certainly if you are a high maintenance drinker or asking for/expecting something extra), dinner servers, bell hop, the mini bar (I’ve never done this before, but a note and a tip can “customise” what ends up in your mini bar), the room cleaners, and anyone that does something a little extra, or from which you are asking a little extra! And if you area a frequent visitor to a specific restaurant/buffet – try loyalty to a specific server – our service dramatically improved when we did; it was fun to get to know one and they can customize the service to you. If you don’t like the service you are getting, switch to a different server and then stay loyal when you find one you like – and tip them.

We will likely be back to Barceló Maya Colonial/Tropical.

Room Tip: This is a big resort and there are plenty of room options. As far as getting specifically what you a...
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed at the Colonial for 10 days in January. We had previously stayed at the Caribe and Beach sister resorts. We were able to enjoy all the facilities at the Colonial, Tropical, Beach and Caribe.
There was a concierge in each building to book the a la cartes. We could book 6 different restaurants. However, we were unable to book any tables of 10 or 12. We were celebrating a special birthday with 13 relatives. We decided to eat at the buffets most evenings. The food at the buffets was good. The breakfast and buffets had the best selection of fresh fruits we have ever had. Some of our party went to more restaurants and were very happy with the food and service.
The entertainment each night was worth staying up for. We usually skip the shows, but were pleasantly surprised by the quality and variety of the singing and choreography.
The rooms were spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable. We requested a king size bed, but were booked into a room with 2 double beds. Make sure you specify one king size bed when you book.
There were plenty of chairs at the beach and by the pools, no need to get up early and play the towel game. Our nephews enjoyed the water park and mini golf. There was plenty of activities to keep them occupied.
I would recommend this resort to couples and families of all age groups.

Room Tip: Recommend rooms on the third floor. We were on the second floor and it was noisy a couple of times...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!