“Excellent Return Trip to Dreams Puerto Aventurs” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive

Save Saved
You added Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive to your Saves list
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 269.5 Carretera Chetumal Pto Juarez, Puerto Aventuras 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #6 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
michigan
“Excellent Return Trip to Dreams Puerto Aventurs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Let me start by saying this was a return trip for myself and 13 year old daughter. We loved the family room we had the previous year, so we emailed the resort ahead of travel with our room request and also made them aware we were return guests. Upon arrival, we were very pleased to find we as well as the other families traveling with us were placed in the requested rooms, which were available before check in time. Our room greeted us with chocolate covered strawberries, a bottle of red wine, cookies and a beautiful flower arrangement. Although our room did have the faint musty smell, I have found this in ALL the many resorts I have stayed in along the Mexican Riviera. Everything was clean, mini bar fully stocked, slippers and bathrobes, and a nice cold room.
The menu in all restaurants has recently changed. We thoroughly enjoyed all meals, with the exception of the Mexican restaurant. Althoug the service was great, myself nor the families we traveled with enjoyed our entrees.
Our favorite restaurant was by far the gourmet Italian. The presentation was excellent and the food wonderful. We did have several children traveling with us, and Pueblo and other wait staff were eager to grant all their requests. When some oredered 2 entrees, the waiters just smiled and took our orders. The only negative aspect at this restaurant would have been the children that were crawling under/around tables, running into servers and guests, not staying in there seats. Obviously this would not be the fault of the restaurant.....
Seaside was great for lunch as well as dinner. I do not care for fish, but others in our group raved about the fish tacos. The tenderloin kabobs were great for dinner. I must mention Arturo, the head waiter. He does a excellent job!
Oceana was wonderful as well. Great crab cakes as well as coconut shrimp. Yes, the portions are small, but just order 2! Most upscale gourmet restaurants I have been to in the states are more about presentation and quality than quantity.
Also worth mentioning, the included wine selection was much better than what other all inclusives offer. The red Spanish was very good!
Wait service on the beach could not be faulted. Barbara was excellent. There were several others notably worth mentioning, but can not remember their names. Most days servers came out with trays of food offerings while sunbathing, goat cheese sandwiches, kabobs, mini burgers, fish and so on. Also, either paella or grilled entrees were served beach side. Nice added touch!
Obviously there were small things I could complain about. Tile slick and wet everywhere, just like EVERY other Mexican resort. Not sure what vacationers expect, carpet in a humid climate with sand and water? Yes, I could hear my neighbors at times. Yes there were alot of small children not being minded by their parents. Knowing this is a family resort, this is to be expected. At times at the buffet, it took a while to get water or coffee. Who cares? THe breakfast was great! Especially made to order crepes every mornin!
We purchased this trip thru Bookit. Everything was as smooth as could be. For the price, we defin. got more than we paid for a few times over.
We talked with many other travelers while there as well. We did not hear about one unhappy vacationer.
Thumbs up To The MEXICAN CHOCOLATE!!!
Our kids had a great time participating in activities!

2,267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

November 23 – 30, 2010.
I just returned from this lovely resort and I was reading the review below “More like a Nightmare” and I had to say something. I have been to this resort 4 times in the last year and what the person said below was just a chronic complainer. In fact I think I was in the restaurant and Pablo was our server also. I think that was the same family who could not control their all of their kids and they were running around the restaurant. I think Pablo was very kind and kept a professional attitude dealing with all of the craziness around him.
The service was impeccable throughout the whole resort. My family and friends really enjoyed eating Seaside restaurant. Arturo was very helpful getting a table around for us and not making us wait (we had a big group that night). I would not recommend eating at El Patio. The place is beautiful but the food is not good at all.
The front desk would do anything to make sure our stay was perfect. They are the only resort that has called during my stay to make sure the room was to my satisfaction. We had requested special rooms to meet the needs of people in our group. What we love about this resort is that it is not huge. You still have many choices to eat at. The room is nicely decorated and very modern. The beds are so comfortable and I always sleep like a baby when I stay here.
The beach is quaint but there was always plenty of beach chairs and the hotel was full. The water is calm but if you want big waves then this is not the beach for you. They have a beautiful natural pond that everyone always talks about. Great for snorkeling! There is always something going on at the resort, water aerobics, water volley ball, beach volley ball, learn to make guacamole, learn to salsa dance, water balloon fight in the pool. You can do as much or as little as you want.
Once again, I would like to stress how great the service is at this resort. I don’t know how many times I was told my pleasure. They really would do anything to make your stay there perfect. You just have to ask or speak up if there is an issue.
I can’t wait to go back in March for a wedding!

Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

A detailed review for those considering the resort.

The rooms: The rooms were spacious and nicely decorated. We had a nicely updated bathroom with oversized shower. However, the resort missed the mark in several key areas. Despite being an incredibly sound sleeper, I was woken up several times most nights/mornings due to noise from adjacent rooms (screaming baby) or hallway traffic. The hallways echo and are incredibly loud. If you stay here, and want a good night's rest, you should ask for a room far at the end of each wing. Second, the room missed the marked on some of the little things that you expect. We had a single hook for towels --- no shower bar or clothes line, making it difficult to rinse off and dry bathing suits. Also, the rooms are not well lit making it difficult to read at night.

The beach: This was the biggest disappointment of the resort. The pictures of the beach on their website make it look far more expansive than the is (the wonders of a wide angle lens). It's advantages are that it is a very calm inlet, with a sandy bottom, making it great for kids. It's drawbacks are that it's very small, overcrowded, and has several large inflatables for kids, not creating a nice view or relaxing place for adults. (Because it's so small, there aren't different areas for different interests). However, there is a natural pool on property that is very peaceful and a fun morning stop for kids to feed the fish. In addition, there is a beautiful lagoon just next door if you walk along the beach at the next property.

The food: This was one of the highpoints of the stay. The restaurants had consistently good food, though service was quite slow even though the restaurants were not full. The Patio restaurant was especially good and had great ambience. The food at Portofino's was also great (and presented beautiful) but the modern decor was cold and uninviting. In contrast to the restaurants, we ordered room service once and didn't make that mistake again. None of the four meals ordered were good.

The pools: Both pools are smaller than I expected. The kids/family pool gets particularly crowded with families and because it where activities like water aerobics are held. The loud music detracts further from the atmosphere. Sadly the pool got quite chilly in the afternoon (3:00 or so on) when the sun is behind the hotel. This forces everyone into the jacuzzi. The adult pool, as would be expected, is more tranquil. The built in lounge chairs were a nice touch.

If you are looking for a quiet resort with a good beach, this is not the place for you. However, if you are the type that likes to go out and explore the area as we do, the drawbacks might be worth it because it was so reasonably priced and it's location is a good one as a base, halfway between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

Let me start with the positive, the outside of the resort is on the beach and is clean. The staff is helpfull and the food for the most part is good but you get very little at a time. The first night in the hotel, we came back to our room very late and and I pulled back the covers to find bedbugs. The front desk and the concierge can speak english but the maintenance and housekeeping cannot so there was a huge language barrier. I called the front desk at 1 o'clock in the morning and told him we had bedbugs and he sent a maintenance guy. The guy came to our room and then shook out all the sheet and started to make our bed again. You could clearly see the bugs in the mattress. I told the guy you cannot sleep on this bed and by this time the bugs were in my clothes in my suitcase!!!! I went to the front desk and argued with him several times before he finally switched our room at 2am. My husband had to be up at 6am for a fishing trip! The 2nd day we were out of our room all day and came back late at night again and our room smelled awful. Someone had stuck a towell and a water bottle inside the access panel to the AC and the towel had been mildewing for who knows how long. We called the mgr to our room and we were switched again this time to a preferred room. The GM offered to comp us the 2 days but we have yet to see the money and it looks like we will only be refunded for 1 night!!! Terrible rooms! We went into some of our friends room and all of their rooms had a faint smell of mildew. How this hotel is rated 4 star is beyond me!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

The Dreams resort in Puerto Aventuras is an excellent value set in a beautiful location. Puerto Aventuras is a private gated residential community located in the Riviera Maya on Mexico's Yucatan peninsula. I would recommend the private community setting to people traveling with small children or to people who want an American feel to their Mexican vacation, not to backpackers or people looking for the 'real' Mexico. Once you pass the gatehouse, it's beautiful but it really doesn't feel like your in Mexico.

Overall Dreams is a wonderful vacation spot. The all-inclusive resort is situated on a private beach and backs to the Puerto Aventuras Marina. The resort is small in size compared to the mega resorts of Cancun and the Riviera Maya. With only 305 rooms, the resort is manageable and every room has either a Marina or Ocean view.

Rooms: We stayed in a marina view room on the 3rd floor. We had exceptional views of Puerto Aventuras and the marina and enjoyed sunset and happy hour on our balcony almost nightly. Once we even saw a stingray in the water directly in front of us. Upon arrival, we were surprised to find the room had a second floor lounge. We really didn't see the point in the second floor unless you had small children who could sleep on the futon, but it's really not the best place for kids because the exposed spiral staircase is much too dangerous for kids. Overall, the room was nicely decorated and very clean. Our mini bar was stocked each day with bottled soda, water, Coronitas and an orange juice. We had a coffee maker but never actually given any coffee to make by housekeeping. The bathrooms were modern and the water always hot. Funny thing about the bathroom was the "convenient" phone by the toilet that only called out to the US, Canada and UK.

Pools/Beach: The resort has two pool areas each with a swim up bar, the activity/all ages pool and the adults only pool. The activities pool starts to get loud early, so if you had an ocean view room, we heard it was hard to sleep in. The activities pool is large in size and is attached to a 30 person whirlpool. The sun sets first over the activities pool, so most adults either move to the adult pool on the other side of the resort which gets a half hour more sun or move to the whirlpool for sunset and happy hour. Although, the adults pool is quiet all day, it does get a little louder at happy hour though. My favorite pool was the quieter adult pool as the activities pool was a bit too Cancun party-party for me.

The beach was absolutely beautiful with white sand and crystal clear water. The beach is small but comparable for the size of the resort. Chairs were plentiful and you could always find a quiet spot to read and relax. The beach service was fast and offered sandwiches, salads and drinks so you could be extremely lazy and never leave your chair. The water is active with small fish in the beach's shallow area so beware if you aren't a fish person. To the right of the beach was a natural rock saltwater pool for swimming and snorkeling; however, one day a small nurse shark found its way into the water and caused a bit of excitement on the beach.

Activities: The resort offers a plethora of activities. Each morning we picked up a copy of the Sundial resort newsletter which detailed restaurant availability and the activities for the day, rain or shine. The resort offered an Explorer's Club for kids which was nice because then most of the kids were cooped up in their own private area. The daily activities ran by the Dreams Entertainment Team centered around the pool and beach including: volleyball, yoga, water aerobics, ping pong, bungee trampoline, etc. The beach also offered free water sport equipment such as kayaks, Hobie cats, and snorkel and windsurf equipment. The nightly activities consisted of a show in the cruise ship like theater. We hit the Mexican dancing show, the Elvis impersonator show and the Halloween show. All slightly cheesy but entertaining as you know the dancers and singers put a lot of work into it. Nightly on the beach was either a movie or American sporting event projected on a big screen or a performance show such as "Dreams Idol" or the Fire and Rain show. The activities kept people busy and the staff always tried to get everyone involved but quickly left you alone if you didn't want to participate.

Food/Beverage: The resort offers your choice of 7 restaurants and 4 bars. All food and beverages are included in the all-inclusive price unless you "upgrade" your dinner for the lobster or your drink for a specialty bottle of wine. Every day at least 3 different restaurants are open for dinner with the World Cafe and Seaside Grill open for lunch. We never ran into more than a five minute wait for a table for two even during the busier hours. My favorite restaurants were: Gohan for sushi, Seaside Grill for steak and other traditional grilled items and Portofino for Italian. The traditional Mexican restaurant, El Patio wasn't anything to write home about, I could get the fajitas I ate at any basic Mexican restaurant in America. The adults-only Oceana was my least favorite as it didn't have a wide selection of fresh seafood choices. The World Cafe, the family orientated buffet open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, was your standard buffet with food for the masses. The World Cafe was very nice option for a quick afternoon snack if you weren't interested in having a hot dog or hamburger at the beach side Barefoot Grill. Also, you could order room service 24 hours a day free of charge. The food was good for an all-inclusive restaurant, better than I have had before, but the flavors were bland as it had to appeal to the masses.

The resort had 4 bars to choose from. During the day, the best spots were the swim up bars, Sugar Reef and Manatee. I really enjoyed hitting the beach side Barracuda bar at sunset and after dinner for a peaceful drink with a view and ocean breeze. The nightclub Desires, was entertaining for late night people watching and to catch a game in the afternoon. If you aren't interested in partying with crowd, you could always grab a drink and enjoy the view off your room's balcony.

Service: Overall, the service at the resort was great. The concierge, Gina, was very helpful when we checked in. She was pleasantly surprised to find out we had rented a car and would manage our own tours, unlike other concierges who would recommend the "safe" tours and provide us with vague directions to the local sites. We were extremely disappointed that the resort did not have a map of the surrounding area or offer to print one for us.

The rest resort staff and restaurant staff were always helpful and went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. We always tipped in the restaurants, bars and for room service. I loved to call room service (which is included) as whichever gal answered, she called me "Mrs. Hunt" and when I tried to correct her as that's not my name, she would say every time "OK, Mrs. Hunt." The resort provides you with "Resort Credit" which are really just $200 worth of coupons to use at their resort, such as $10 off a bottle of wine or $20 off a spa service. We never used our coupons and four days into our stay, the front desk called to see if we were OK and if we had lost them. Sadly for Dreams, we didn't spend a penny at the resort but we did have an excellent time!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

This was our second visit to the Riveria Maya at a DREAM property and once again we had a vacation to remember!! If you are looking to bring your family for fun in the sun or a relaxing getaway you will not be disappointed. Super clean facilites, (staff working constantly), friendly & helpful staff ( My pleasure), good food & drinks, SUPERB snorkeling, water activities & GREAT Entertainment Team.

MUST DO: Feed the fish in natural pool, snorkel off the beach, take the complimentary catamaran ride (get in line at 8AM for your slot), walk to the Marina & see theDolphin Discovery, watch the Fire & Water Show, meet & play with Mexican Chocolate, Martin, Yareli & the Amazing Entertainment Team. Order a drink & swing over the Ocean at BARracuda Bar. Take a nap on the beach beds. Eat Guacamole & Chips!

MUST DRINK: the bar staff is all Amazing and the waiters on the beach really work their tails off. BEST Mojito ever!, Super Frozen Mudslides & Mango Tango. Modelo Negro in the Bottle. Make your own Mimosa or Bloody Caesar with Breakfast! Ask for name brand or they serve you from the well.

ALL INCLUDED: Most hotels charge you for Room service, the Concierge or Mini-fridge. Not here & it really helps add to your stay. This is the FRIENDLIEST, MOST HELPFUL Concierge I have ever had the pleaure to deal with! I never get room service because it's extra: Breakfast in bed was a treat! Bottled water, beer & soda 24/7!

RESTAURANTS: It was almost to capacity when we visited and we encountered no major waits. Tastiest Guacamole I've ever eaten. WORLD BUFFET: Great Breakfast & always worth the walkabout for lunch or dinner to see what they offer. GOHAN: Go when it opens or you will wait all night. OCEANA: Adult only & a bit disappointing. Overcooked seafood. PORTOFINA: Fabulous food & serve:don't miss! SEASIDE GRILL: Perfect for Lunch & Dinner! Try the fish taco & grouper at Lunch. ELPATIO: Our only negative in a perfect week. I think the kitchen went down, really abysmal.

SERVICE: Always with a smile and really top notch.!! Tipping was not expected, but certainly appreciated. I have been in the service industry for years so I appreciate hard work. The staff at DREAMS DPA work hard!! You will get whatever you want , regardless, but if you take care of them-the favor is returned. Meaning: stronger drinks & yes-faster service. Same goes here in the states.

Okay, I promised not to get too wordy...I read these reviews for months & freaked out. The beds are really comfortable but the rooms CAN BE noisy & damp with humidity. I think fellow tourist add to the problem by not using "indoor voices" or being considerate. It is a Hotel & rooms are in close proximity. Kept the air down & brought a Damp Rid bag-lt worked well. Our room was cleaned twice a day & we were pleased. We never hung out in the room and found that the sleeping was very good.

GO to Dreams Puerto Aventuras. Have Fun & Remember: this is YOUR vacation and you choose to make it great!!

Vancouver Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Of all the resorts I have stayed at, this one by far was head and shoulders above the rest. At some resorts there is an underlying attitude, not here by any means. The staff weren't just friendly, they really wanted you to know that they wanted you back. If you couldn't find something at the buffet they went and made it for you, the service was always attentive and they gave you the impression they were pleased just to serve you. The beach was protected by a small reef and the snorkeling was good. You won't regret staying here unless your expectations far exceed your budget, which by the way I got more than I paid for. P.S. they have 24 hour room service at no charge.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive? Share your experiences!