“Perfect resort for couples or families” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive

You added Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive to your Saves list
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 269.5 Carretera Chetumal Pto Juarez, Puerto Aventuras 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seattle area
“Perfect resort for couples or families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

We enjoyed this beautiful resort with its many restaurants, excellent food, and outstanding service. What is nice about this resort is the large pool where famillies swim is on one side of the building and the adult pool and large swim up bar is on the other side offering adults a choice to have a quiet spot for reading or relaxing. We enjoyed the beach area in the mornings, both pool areas in the afternoon and the swim up bar for great happy hours! Every restaurant had very good food, our favorite being the seafood restaurant. The waiters were outstanding everywhere! There is no tipping required but our service was so good we always left a tip and wish we would have seen more people doing the same. If you want to leave the resort there are so many sights to see in the area and adventures to do. We were content relaxing at the resort and only left for one day during the entire week to visit Playa del Carmen (fun walking 5th Ave. in the evening) and ferry to Cozumel. We will return again to do the many things we missed. We do suggest not going past mid June because of weather. We were there the end of June and had a few days of heavy rains.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Loved this place! We were there for a wedding which was fantastic. The staff was phenomenal, the facilities were clean. The food was very good for an all inclusive resort. The drinks a bit watered down, but never the less served with a huge smile. Recommend Portofino for dinner, and the world cafe for buffets (Juan was the best!). We stayed on the ocean side which was beautiful, but loud at night. The adult pool area was really nice and quiet (but it was also the beginning of the off season).

Chicago IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

We always stay at Palace resorts and have stayed in this area before so we knew about the lovely little village and convenience to the hotel. Dreams was a nice, small hotel. Our small grandchildren loved the beach, ocean, pool and hot tub. It is small enough to keep track of your children. Plenty to keep them busy. We attended a family wedding there, that's why we chose to stay at Dreams.

Dreams is a good value for the price. Palace resorts are more costly, but the attention to detail at Palace was noticeable. Drink glasses on our patio were not picked up daily, finger prints on sliding glass door, and water splashes on our mirrors were never cleaned. Fridge in the room kept beer and pop only cool, not cold.

The waiters at all restaurants are overworked. They took our drink orders, then food orders but never had time to follow up for more drink orders or to check back to see if we needed anything. They had a cart out for Mexican coffee, but were too busy to fix it. You could see they were working their tails off to just barely take care of their tables. We tipped them generously because we felt the lack of service was not the fault of the wait staff. They don't have others "bussing" tables for them.

Overworked is also a description for the bartenders. Again, there were not enough of them. You could easily wait 10 minutes at the bar waiting for them to take your order. They could have used another 3-4 at each bar at the busiest times in the afternoon. On two occasions we got drinks served to us in dirty glasses.

While I don't anticipate going back to Dreams, I would encourage people on a limited budget to consider it. The smallness, nice pools and beach would be a good fit for a family with small children.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

this hotel was awesome. my family and friends went to dreams puerto aventuras for my sisters wedding and it exceeded every expectation that we had. we did alot of research on hotels in mexico for her wedding(my sister has been to mexico at least 15 times) and we liked the fact that it was a "smaller" all-inclusive. we wanted the guests at the wedding to be "close" to everything. with that said, we never felt like we were on top of each other (42ppl). the service was exceptional, the rooms were beautiful, the beds were so comfy, the food was great,the liquor was top shelf, the activities were fun and the beach was perfect. my only regret is that i didnt write down the names of the numerous employees that went above and beyond. yarelli,sandra, joel, rodrigo, j carlo and ceaser are just a few employees that made such an impact, but believe me, everyone that i came in contact with did!! the manager of this hotel should be very proud of his hotel and staff! i will absolutely return. thank you dreams puerto aventuras!!

• Stayed October 2010
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

After staying at Secrets Maroma last year, I was happy to find out the same company had resorts for families (Secrets - adult only, Dreams - family). So when I saw pictures of the familiar smiling faces and the yellow flower shirts, I knew I wanted to look into the resort. I picked Dream PA because of the size. I had heard several people say it is perfect for a family, and they were right. Some resorts need trams to get across to the rooms, etc. Not here! If I forgot something, no matter where I was on the property, I could probably be back in the room in 2-3 minutes.
Food: B+
I was a little spolied at Secrets, so my food rating is a little lower. The resturants were actually better than those at Secrets (Secrets had too fancy of food maybe, because even when you read it, you didnt know what you were getting). However the buffet resturant (world cafe) was larger (of course more people at secrets) and had a better seledction. Now to say I did not enjoy world cafe, would be a lie. I loved breakfast, but found the other resutrants better for lunch and dinner.
Service: A+
I can not say enough about the staff. They were so helpful. Never once did I think someone was annoyed by my request. They were always so happy to take care of your needs.
Room: A-
Great size room, but we were upgraded to a family room upon checkin. No big deal was made of it, but I knew that it was an upgrade. The beds are the same beds as Secrets and they are so comfortable. Other resorts in Mexico I have stayed at, the beds were the worst part of the vacation, but not here.
Yes water gets on the floor from the shower and the designer should have gotten a low grade on his plan for the bathroom. The nice thing about the turndown service, was that they would take up the wet bath mat and clean up the floor while we were at dinner. So really not an issue at all.
The room does need more lights and more drawers. Decent size furniture in the room, but no drawers, strange.
Location: A
I wish it was closer to Playa, but having the kids with us on this trip, I did like the saftey of the town. The town itself is secure. So for a taxi drive to get in, he has to give up his ID upon arrival. The hotel also has security, so you do feel safe.
Pools/Beach: A+
I could set at the pool and keep an eye on the girls either in the pool or at the beach since it was so small. That was very comforting with a 4 and 8 year old girl. The water was perfect for kids, as most of the waves are broken up by the rocks protecting it. The water was like glass most days (not good for wave riding). This was nice since I did not have to worry about the kids getting flipped by waves.
The natural pool was pretty much ours during the week. We snorkled there everyday for a couple of hours. The 4 year old still wears swimmies, but she would keep her head in the water for 12-20 minutes at a time, and you could hear her laugh through her snorkle. My wife loves snorkeling, but always gets a little imtimidated when doing excursions since there is rougher water and a little deeper. She LOVED this pool. She felt so comfortable being protected from the waves, and hoestly you will probably see as many types of fish in the pool as you would on an excursion (maybe more bigger ones). Again perfect for beginners. I was able to catch our mask and snorkle on clearence before we left. Fins are not neccessary in the natural pool, but if you go out from the beach you can always check them out from the dive shop.
Overall I would do it again. I normally would not go to the same place twice, but feelig comfortable with 2 young girls, I would return in a hear beat.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

We so thoroughly loved this hotel and had a great vacation. It was my boyfriend and I, who are in our 40's with no children, and we were looking for a quiet, relaxing and romantic vacation and absolutely found it at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

HOTEL: Yes, the hotel and the town of Puerto Aventuras are small but that was exactly what we were looking for. We were not looking for night clubs or a party scene. We loved that the resort was not huge and it only took a day to acclimate to where everything was. It also felt secure in that you have to go through security to get into the town and there is a second security point at the entrance to the hotel.

I think because of the time of year we went, September 6-11, the hotel was not crowded nor was the beach. We had no problem getting the "perfect" spot on the beach every single day.

Although this is a family-friendly resort, we hardly ever saw any kids. In fact, one day the Explorer Club (this is where the parentscan drop their kids off for the entire day and evening) took the kids to the pool and my comment was "where did they all come from?" You just didn't know there were kids around and they certainly weren't bothersome in such small numbers. Not once were there any kids by us on the beach (see below).

The staff works very hard at keeping the resort clean.

ROOM: We had room 150 which was "gardenview." At first, before even seeing the room, I was worried...did gardenview mean "basement". When we got to our room, it was beautiful. We had a tile patio that went out into a small "yard" and then onto the pool and the ocean.

I, too, had read all the reviews about the shower and water on the floor. The shower was very large and had a rain showerhead. We tilted the showerhead towards the wall a bit only because of the reviews we had read. We had no problem with water on the floor. The bathroom sink/countertop was large, had two sinks and, as a woman, had no problem with the amount of space. The also give you full size shampoo, shower gel and lotion which, if you aren't picky, is nice and sufficient for a weeks' vacation.

The bed was so comfortable and I loved that we had a sofa and table also. I thought the decor of the room had a modern, Mexican feel.

I also read about the "musty" smell of the hotel and rooms. To us, that smell means you are in the tropics. We actually like it because it says "you're at the beach!" This is no different than the smells you encounter in the hotels down in Miami, Florida or the like.

The one complaint I had is that each room has a coffee maker but it was never stocked with coffee. I didn't ask about this but simply accepted it. Weird though that it wouldn't just be provided.

RESTAURANTS: We ate at all the restaurants except the sushi place as it was not opened during the time we were there. You get coupons for bottles of wine but we never used them as the "house" white wine was delicious - crisp and refreshing. The "house" red was not as good but palatable. We decided that if we were to get red wine again, we would buy a bottle.

Seaside Grill: We ate dinner twice there as well as lunch twice and "delivery" from the Grill to the beach. The escargot and french onion soup were delicious as well as the NY steaks. They are served with bernaise and while I think the steaks in Mexico always taste a bit "different" than America, it was still very good. Loved the club sandwiches.

The buffet: We ate breakfast every day at the buffet and thought the food was great. How can you go wrong with a mimosa and bloody mary bar? :) They had lox and bagels and a made-to-order omelet station. The fresh papaya was out of this world. The service was excellent and by the third day, we were recognized by the staff.

My only suggestions would be that the chairs could use a cleaning and it doesn't open until 7 a.m. for breakfast which feels kind of late. That said, they do offer 24 hour room service and one day I ordered just a pot of coffee - it arrived within 15 minutes.

Oceana: The ceviche was yummy. The coconut shrimp with mango relish with the best I've ever had! The mahi mahi had good flavor and presentation.

Portofino: Nice restaurant. I had a seafood pasta that was delicious.

THE BEACH: Yes, the beach is small but it is lovely and they keep it very clean. We felt like we went at a great time (September) as the hotel and beach were not crowded at all. We found our spot at the far end of the resort by the Barracuda Bar and stayed there the entire trip. It was quiet with only adults but certainly they do not prohibit kids in this area (but don't think this is an "adult" area; the other guests were mature, quiet and they do not allow "European"-style bathing). The other thing we loved is that this is where the natural pool was. It was stunning scenery and the natural pool was great to snorkel in and float. We even talked to another guest who saw an eel and an octopus in there! There are a couple big rocks next to the natural pool and there are several iguanas that call this home. Let's just say at least one of them is very friendly! I was "held hostage" by an iguana for the better part of an afternoon. It appears he just wanted to say "hi" and sit on my beach chair!!! :)

The service is also wonderful; very attentive and you can even get lunch brought to you.

We took a sea kayak out and snorkeled a few times. You really don't need water shoes for most of the beach and ocean but there are some reefs out in the lagoon. Unbeknowst to us, until we snorkeled, there are a ton of spiny sea urchins right out there. For that alone, I would highly recommend wearing water socks when you go in the ocean.

The beach is not big but you can walk the beach in that there is another hotel next door and a public beach next to that. There are some cool natural pools to be seen. It was a nice walk. I like that the snorkel area is in a lagoon as the ocean is a bit rough across the reef and rocks.

DOLPHINS: Within a 10 minute walk is the town and there is a dolphin and manatee exhibit there where people can swim with the dolphins. If anyone has seen the documentary "The Cove", you know how they get these wonderful animals and it is not pretty. I felt this exhibit was very sad and the animals did not have much space nor very clean tanks. I would not recommend supporting this at all.

OVERALL: We so enjoyed our trip, the hotel and all that went with it. After six days of vacation, I was not at all ready to go home. I would highly recommend this hotel to couples and families. It may not be the Ritz Carlton but it was excellent for the value. While I cannot wait to go back, we are excited to visit other Dreams hotels in Mexico!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Niles, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

My husband & I took our 2nd trip this year to the Riviera Maya - this was our first time staying at Dreams PA. We read all of the reviews of this resort prior to our trip so we had a pretty good idea of what to expect. We used Apple Vacations and took the non-stop USA3000 from Pit to Cun. Great flight - no problems. Apple had as part of our package the non-stop transfers from the airport to the resort - this probably saved us at least 30 min, so it took about an hour to hour and 10 min to reach Dreams.

We celebrated our anniversary and were told to bring our marriage license in order to get the anniversary package at the resort. This basically entitled us to a fruit tray, bottle of champaigne, and a really nice gourmet breakfast in our room. Our room category was run of the house deluxe. Since the resort was less than 50% capacity we thought we had a pretty good chance at getting a free upgrade to an ocean view room, but that didn't happen. They told us we were upgraded to a marina view room on the 4th floor. Actually, it was fine - the room is beautiful either way. We would've loved the ocean view and we could've paid for the upgrade but it would've cost an additional $200 and we just didn't think it was worth it to us.

The rooms are very nice. My one complaint is that the lighting isn't too good. We kept lookking for more lights to turn on but there just weren't enough - no light in the closet or near enough to it. There's a vanity table with a large mirror but the light is a decorative ball that's only about 12" off the table. The beds are comfy - probably one of the better beds we've slept in a hotel - especially in Mexico were they are generally harder than what we're used to. Not crazy about the pillows but it wasn't a big deal. The SHOWER ISSUE: so much was written about this - we just couldn't wait to see these showers, but honestly, we couldn't figure out what people were talking about. I agree with the one reviewer awhile ago who said her family tried to see just what you'd have to do to get water on the bathroom floor and they just couldn't figure out what people must be doing in the shower! It's true! The shower is so large and long that even though it only has a partial door, it's more than enough to contain all of the water in the shower. We never had so much as a small puddle of water on the floor - actually not a drop. So - we don't know what that's about. Also, the air conditioning works really well - something that's a problem in some Mexican resort hotels. We didn't notice any wierd smells or mildew that some people report smelling.

The room staff did a great job keeping the room neat and clean for us all week. We only had one night though where a towel animal was made for us. The fridge was stocked with bottled water, sodas, and beer. We stayed at the Riu PDC in March and there was a full bar in the rooms there, complete with full fifths of liquor and set-ups but there's alcohol anywhere you go at Dreams so we didn't miss all of that in our room. Oh, one other thing that was strange was the room "key" card - it didn't seem to work well all of the time. Don't know if it was the door sticking or the lock but it's not you if you have the same problem.

The Pools: We never did go into the adult pool but we did make it out there to check it out and most of the time it looked pretty clean - along with the hot tub back there. There were a couple of times though when I noticed more debris floating in there than should've been. We noticed this in the early morning so maybe it was just before they cleaned it.

The family pool and spa was nice and most of the time the pool was pretty clean. I have to say though that the large hot tub at times had bird feathers, etc. that really should've been cleaned more often. It is under a cluster of trees where a lot of birds gather so I'm sure that's the problem, but all the more reason for employees to be sweeping it more often, along with the pool. It didn't look like the water itself was dirty but just some debris floating - still it's a turn off. Most of the times it was fine, but a couple times during our stay it needed more attention.

The BEACH: it is a smaller beach but it's lovely, and perfect because it's protected by some of the really rough waves and dangerous undertoe this stretch of Mexican coastline is known for. What makes it really unique though is the fact that you can snorkel whenever you want right off the beach because of the reef there. There are so many fish it's very neat and something you'd normally have to pay to see on an excursion. There is also a natural tide pool to the right of the Baracuda Bar (which we just loved). Most of the fish in there were smaller but still a neat little protected area to snorkel.

I read where some people who loved to take those endless walks on the beach were disappointed with this one, but we walked the beach from our resort to the Catalonia next to it, and the beach continues on past that. You do have to go up a couple steps and walk a boardwalk to continue walking the beach but it doesn't just end there.

There seemed to be plenty of beach seating and shade areas too. We usually started our day in one area and moved to different seats in the PM and didn't have any problems finding seats.

We didn't need water shoes either. Unless you plan on walking over the reef and on the rocks, you won't need them either.

The bar service on the beach is fantastic and something you don't find at most resorts. The wait staff here is wonderful! They'll bring you whatever you want - even lunch. We loved Claudia - she was the best!.

At a lot of All-Inclusive resorts we've been to the entertainment teams are really visable. They work in groups and really try to get people to join in the fun and games. At first I was a little disappointed that this wasn't so much the case at Dreams. Yeh, they're there, but so that you'd notice unless you were looking for them. As the week progressed though I thought maybe this was more of a good thing than bad. We were there to relax and enjoy the beauty of the place - we didn't want to be pushed to do this or that. So, it worked for us.

DINING: All in all, we found the food to be very good to excellent at times, although my husband felt that there could've been more of a selection and variety in most restaurants and at the buffet. We ate breakfast every morning at the buffet, and usually ate outside in their dining area. The weather was outstanding the week we were there - no sense in eating inside (we'll be doing that for the next 4 months here in OH). The made-to-order omlettes, eggs, etc. were great. They also had a waffle and crepe bar so you could order those up and have the toppings of your choice. In addition to that they have all the fruit you can think of along with many other breakfast items, meats, juices, rolls, etc.

Lunch - normally we ate at the Seaside Grill or at the buffet for lunch. We loved the seafood ceviche salads and most of the other items on the menus at both places.

Portofino - loved the filet and everything else we had here. It's beautiful inside but we loved eating on the terrace, and the service was great too.

Oceana - had the coconut shrimp and crab cakes, husband had the mahi mahi. All of it was good but the crab cakes had too much "cake" and not enough crab.

El Patio - loved it here, and they wished us a happy anniversary as soon as we entered the restaurant (they must've had this info from the front desk). And they surprised us with a special appetizer and anniversary cake, along with some singing. It was very sweet and the food was great.

Seaside Grill - great food, steaks, etc. here

And don't forget the coconut ice cream - probably the best I've ever had.

Bar Service: great - you can get just about anything you want & whenever you want it. We took along our own insulated mugs but really the drinks they serve are in normal size glasses - not the Dixie cups you find in some resorts so it's not necessary to bring your own mugs. And they have a variety of top shelf liquor too. We had Bailey's after most dinners. We went to Tulum and heard about the Mayan liquor - went back to Dreams and ordered it several times. We loved the Baracuda Bar at night - so beautiful to have a drink at the beach and look at the stars. Gorgeous!

Entertainment: This resort is pretty laid back, but we love how they take advantage of the beach during the day and night. In most resorts we've visited, the beach is the hub of activity during the day, but at night - not so much. That's not the case at Dreams PA - every night there's either a movie or football game, talent show - fire/water show - something is going on - on the beach. And we LOVED that! What a treat to be out there under the stars, listening to the waves, and being entertained at the same time. It's definitely something we'll compare future resorts to.

I've read too about the bugs and mosquitos being a problem at Dreams. I brought the repellent wipes just in case - we never opened one packet. We had no problems at all with this, but it's good to be prepared to I'd bring them just in case.

Kids running amuck? Well, for most of our stay we didn't see too many kids. Lots of adults - lots of weddings there. Toward the end of the stay there were several families - most with smaller children, and most very well-behaved, with parents who really watched their kids. But I have to say that if there is a problem where some kids are concerned, the biggest problem is the parents - not the kids. We love children and don't mind it when they're having a great time - noise and all. We do have a problem with parents whose need for privacy or a good time exceed the instinct to guard and protect their kids.

For instance, on 2 separate occasions we witnessed two beautiful little blonde girls - the oldest was probably 6 and the youngest no older than 3.......the parents allow these 2 girls to leave El Patio to walk up a dark stairway - alone! to go to the bathroom!! Alone! Hello, doesn't anyone watch tv or read the papers these days? Madeline McCann sound familiar!? These same parents - 2 nights later eating at the Seaside Grill - the same 2 little girls leave the restaurant, take the dark walkway from the restaurant along the sand to the bathroom next to the beach rental hut - alone! The parents had their backs to the walkway - they weren't even watching. Another couple with 3 young children, the same night at the Seaside Grill - allow all the 3 kids, the youngest no older than 3, the oldest no more than 8 - leave the restaurant and go to watch the movie on the beach. Parents? Having a nice, romantic dinner alone - without their kids! The 3 year old wandered back over to their table a little later - without his older siblings. A little later on, we ran into the kids who were grabbing all kinds of souvieners on the market tables not within sight of the restaurant - while their parents were still at the Seaside Grill. It's really sad in this day and age - with so many child abductions, etc. going on - we still have so many selfish and clueless parents out there. So, I guess if we saw this going on during the low season with less than 50% capacity, there would be much more of it during the high season.

Parents - if you need a romantic getaway - leave your kids home with someone responsible - for God's sake, stop putting them at risk!

We took the day trip to Tulum - our 2nd time there. We booked this through the Apple agent at the resort and it was a great tour with a great guide.

We did use the business center once - it's expensive and other resorts we've stayed in have free WiFi these days so Dreams should consider this.

The SPA: you know, they give you what they say is $200 worth of coupons for the resort, but honestly we never used one of them. I thought they'd come in handy for the spa - something we always enjoy on vacation, but these prices are so unrealistic and so unusually high for a Mx resort they we never did use their spa - not even once. And they have a beautiufl ocean-side deck with the tables, etc. - the entire week we were there, we only saw it used once! So, yeh, those prices need to be reconsidered......

All in all, we had a great time on our trip. We did not get sick at all but we are always careful in Mexico not to drink tap water - even when they say it's ok. We don't eat anything at the food stands outside the resorts either. We both actually got deathly sick at a 6* resort in Maui, and also in Europe - but never have gotten sick anywhere in Mexico. We felt very safe in this resort and even walked into Puerto Aventuras to do some shopping and watch the dolphins without a problem. The shopping in this area isn't the greatest - prices aren't too cheap. We actually got some good deals at the markets in Tulum and of all places, the Cancun airport!

We said that our trip to Dreams was almost perfect. I don't know that we've ever been anywhere that's been perfect in every way, but we don't ever expect that either. We've been all over the world and we go with our eyes open, knowing that things aren't going to be perfect. They're not perfect at home ;-) But the Mexican people, at least most of them, are so very friendly and accomodating - which is why we keep going back. Even with all of the bad press Mexico is getting lately, we still enjoy our trips there. And where in the world can you find the sea that is that gorgeous turqoise color, where the culture is any richer, etc. Go with reasonable expectations and have a great time!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive? Share your experiences!