“Positive first time experience with an All-Inclusive Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive

Save Saved
You added Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive to your Saves list
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 269.5 Carretera Chetumal Pto Juarez, Puerto Aventuras 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Dallas, Texas
“Positive first time experience with an All-Inclusive Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

My families first time at an all-inclusive resort and we loved it . If you didn't find the value exceeded the cost at this resort, then I want to know where else you can stay for the same.

Cleanliness/Food
My husband and I would always get caught up in the negative food reviews of all-inclusive. If your doing your research, you know exactly what I am saying. Everything there was sanitary and the food was delicious. It wasn't like being on a cheap cruise or at The Sizzler's All you can eat buffet. You'll order from a real menu at dinner and you won't get tired of the food. Your room will be cleaned each day, like the first day you checked in.

Location & Beach
I had no concerns about my safety while in Puerto Aventuras. I loved the beach and its size. This is not a surfing beach. This is a beach for families and their children. It did not just drop off into a bottomless pit. It was shallow very far out and awesome for snorkeling.

Rooms
This hotel is equal to an Embassy Suites in terms of decor and age of hotel. Yes, we requested a double, and received a King with a trundle cot. If you can't live with this thought, then you should not book this resort. The resort does not guarantee you doubles ahead of time. You can request it...but they don't have to guarantee it. However, the value will STILL exceed your brief moment of disappointment because if you have two or more children, one will be sleeping with you.

Your going to be waited on by a large number of staff. I never waited for a table at a restaurant. Their staff has a servants heart, including everyone who cleans up after you in your room, and all the restrooms on the beach, and waits on you at the restaurants, and room service. They say this includes gratuity, and it did. But I personally recommend taking $50 -100 in (singles) and tip all the people who are going to go out of their way to make you comfortable.

I have stayed at plenty of well known 4 star hotel chains in the US, and paid the same amount for room without food. For what you will pay, the value by far will exceed the cost. Period. I just can't emphasize this enough. You flight, transportation to hotel and back, room, food, drinks, alcohol, and entertainment is still an unbelievable value. I spent $350 in excursion, and $40 on taxi to go shopping. Plus $100 in tipping drivers, and all other staff. I could have been content not doing the extra like shopping, since I didn't find anything special and the snorkel tour was nothing more than what I could see directly from the resorts beach.

Sleep Quality
Very comfortable mattresses and pillows. If your a light sleeper, then bring sleeping aid pills or ear plugs. We did not have any bad experience with sound around us. A crying child could be next to you at any resort. I will say the humidity in Mexico is alarming. My husband liked to keep the room AC so low, my clothes were actually lightly damp. Turning up the AC helped..but you would have this problem anywhere.

The Pool & Entertainment
During the day, the family pool got a little crowded, but who cares, the kids all loved it. People will set their towels and never return to their chairs. So what. My husband and I had a 20 min. rule. I would sit in the pool and watch chairs. If nothing but a hotel towel was on it, and no one had been back in 20 mins. we just took them over. Never had one problem with doing this. The day and nigh entertainment for families was awesome. Lots to see and do.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
Nesquehoning, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Arrived on 7/25 at 11:30. Was told check-in is 3:00 but that our room would be ready by 12:30. Room wasn't ready by 12:30, 1:30 or even 2:30. Was told at 2:30 20 more minutes. Hey, I get that check-in is 3 but if you tell me you're going to have it ready in an hour then I expect it in an hour, not making me and family sit on the beach WAITING for our room. Finally get there and we were told our luggage was already there. Guess what?! NOT! There I go BACK to the lobby asking for it then they have the gall to ask for my baggage ticket. In my fury I forgot all about it and was not about to go trudging back for it. They quickly found out bags tho... The room left a lot to be desired. I cannot help but compare it to Dreams in Tulum which we had visited 3 years ago and that place blew this one clear out of the water. We had no storage in our room for our clothing except the closet with about 6 hangers (there were 3 people in our party) and there was about 3 shelves in the closet with a safe on 1. Our travel reps requested additional storage for us that we never got and I figured I wasn't going to ask for it more than once. Also there was a phone on the bathroom wall that smelled of urine (wonderful smell) and the DVD remote was crusted with some kind of filth. There was no shower curtain for the shower; just a 3 foot wide piece of glass that ran from the ceiling to the top of the tub by the faucet area that I guess was supposed to be some kind of lame barrier for the shower water but it basically did nothing. The water poured out all over the floor and drained by the toilet. We were told this is the 'Mexican way'. Whatever way it was it was disgusting. Who wants to step out of their shower onto a soggy, wet rug to dry off?? YUCK is all I can say. I have a phobia about strange bathrooms to begin with so to have that experience I basically couldn't wait to leave there and come home. I have to laugh at the pictures shown for the hotel. Be warned of course just like with anything else they make it look way more appealing than it is. This is I suppose more geared towards the family experience. Too many little kids running around tho. Also was surprised at the lack of cleanliness when people ordered room service. A number of times I walked by rooms that were near ours and noticed trays of eaten/half-eaten food that sat there for hours. Had we known prior to taking this trip anything about this hotel we would not have picked it and now know not to go there again. Unfortunately this trip was a deal where you pick the destintion but not the resort. This place in my opinion, in no way, deserves any kind of high rating.

NEW JERSEY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

Great place to get away and relax with family. Pros-great restuarants, food location, service. staff, pools, beach (a little small-but great ambience...lots of shaded areas). Cons-very quiet compared to the hotels at Cancun. little touches such as-Dreams Cancun turn town service leaves chocolates and activities for the next day..Puerto Aventuras Dreams you would nned to go the front desk for the list of activities for the next day. USA newspaper availavle at the Worlds cafe during am. None at Puerto Aventuras. Took avantage of the golf excursion to Riviera Maya Golf Club. Great course-challenging but not hard, Overall, nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

We just got back from a 7-night stay at Dreams Puerto Aventuras, and we loved it! We were really impressed with the quality and service, and we would definitely stay there again. The only thing missing was free internet (it costs $60/week), but nearly everything else we could have wanted was included and unlimited, which was a wonderful way to spend a week.

We thought the food was excellent, and we especially LOVED the sushi bar and the El Patio Mexican restaurant. The World Cafe was perfect for the kids, and they could get unlimited ice cream sundaes there or by the pool. The waiters at the pool and beach were good when they came, but there were a few times when they didn't come by. We really enjoyed the tasty hors d'heuvres that the cooks handed out on the beach, and there was always a small buffet of hot food on the beach as well. Portofino (Italian restaurant) and Oceanna (seafood restaurant) were a little disappointing, but luckily there were several other choices for dining. The mini-bar is stocked at least every other day, and room service was fairly prompt, although the menu was somewhat limited.

The nightly entertainment was really fun, including beachside movies, Mexican dancers, a circus show, a cowboy show, and the best of all - a spectacular fire and water show. The Explorer's Club for kids was terrific, and amazingly open from 9am-10pm!!! Our kids loved having dinner and seeing the nightly show with the Kids Club while my husband and I could enjoy quiet, romantic dinners every night.

The beach was fun with the floating rock wall and trampoline, and the pool was definitely a happening spot. I can't stand sitting around all day though, so it was great that there were so many activities close by! We went to Dolphin Discovery, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza. Xcaret was beautiful - just remember to get to the evening show early! It's an amazing show, the seats fill up fast, and you want to be close up. We all loved Chichen Itza! Don't let the 2 1/2 hour bus ride scare you away. It goes by quickly with a movie and a friendly and knowledgeable tour guide; plus you get to see more of the real Mexico.

Overall, Dreams is a fabulous resort, and like another reviewer said, we're hesitant to stay anywhere else because we're afraid we'll be disappointed since Dreams has raised our expectations so high.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

We just returned from our vacation and the Dreams Puerto Aventuras was exactly what we were looking for. Our rooms were "Garden View" and were located right off the pool on the first floor. I was worried about the noise at night, but things around the pool shut down at 11:00. It was fine. Everything was very clean!

I selected this resort because we wanted to snorkel right off of the beach. It was Amazing!! We saw lots of different brightly colored tropical fish, sea stars, and crabs right at the resort. I recommend water shoes if you want to venture out a little farther from the beach. There is nice soft sand, but rocky edges where the best fish are. There is also great snorkeling in the natural pool.
The swimming pool seemed a little crowded in the afternoon, but we did not spend much time there.
The food was fine... nothing special, but fine. Our favorite was the pool side grill where you could get hamburgers or hot dogs all day long. We also enjoyed ordering chip and salsa to take out on the beach.
The drinks were wonderful! Top shelf alcohol if you ask for it. The bars are very kid friendly with kids asking for frozen drinks all day long.
Puerto Aventuras is in a gated community, so we felt safe at all times. We walked to the Dolphin Discovery twice which is only about a 10 minute walk from the resort... very fun!
Room service was fast. If you call for bottled water, they would bring it in minutes.
The resort size is perfect. Not much walking required to get anywhere.

Negative - my only complaint is that we had two rooms since our teens are "adults" . We had asked for two double beds, but were given rooms with King beds. One of our rooms smelled very very musty... the other was fine ( and they were side by side). If we had been there a day longer, I would have asked to move rooms. The smell seemed to get worse the longer we were there. Wet clothes that don't dry did not help the situation.

We would go back in a minute!

St.Catharines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

One of my best friends had his wedding here in early april. The hotel was nice and looked newley renovated. There seemed to be confusion about requested numbers of beds in various rooms when we arrived, however that was solved fairly quickly. Luckily our room overlooked the adult side of the hotel. On the other beach side of the hotel there was an endless number of children splashing and playing in pools and running around everywhere. The swim up bar was nice outside of our room on the adult side of things, however i feel like sometimes i put more of other peoples sunscreen on than my own when i dipped into the shallow adult pool. The service was top notch at this resort, and always very attentive. The beach is limited in length so this isnt much of a beachcolmbers kind of place. When the wedding came along it was spectacular in a really nice gazeebo, complete with mariaci band at the finish. We really enjoyed the lower "baracuda" bar by the beach, then head to the disco around 12 every night to dance around like fools. This is a great resort if you have a group of people, everyone seems to be there for some kind of event. The food was either good or bad depending where you eat on a particular night. All the water on this resort is shipped in bottled. There is also a fun little village in the larger gated community with cute little shops and a dolphin swim ect.. overall i had a great time, fairly expensive however.

• Stayed April 2010
Huntersville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

We traveled with 2 daughters (13 & 11) and 1 son (8). It was an amazing vacation that each one of us enjoyed, we did not want to leave and wondered why we never did an all-inclusive like this before. We are used to cruises and this is reminiscent of a cruise on land.
Snorkeling off the beach did not even require walking past 10 feet into the water, schools of nice sized fish stay in the protected beach. It's not big but turns out that it is good thing, we never had to worry where the kids were and always felt they were safe. Hotel was full but never felt crowded and never had to wait more than 5 minutes to eat a meal.
The food was very good, we ate at all of the restaurants (some twice) and never had a delicious meal...really, the food was great.
All aspects of the staff were excellent, they were courteous, prompt and fun. Anything we wanted they got us, with a smile. We participated in almost all of the activities, the entertainment staff is great, by the time we left ( we stayed 5 nights) they all knew our name and made us feel like we were old friends.
it is a beautiful property with enough places for family fun and also ample places for adults to enjoy quiet time alone if that's what you want. (There is an adult only side to the hotel, no kids allowed but full size pool with swim up bar , including chaise lounges built into the pool as well as a good steak/seafood restaurant only for adults).

A couple of minutes walk away from the Dolphin Discovery , free to walk around without having to swim with the dolphins. This is in the center of restaurants & some shops , all quaint & quiet. The walk is very close and very safe. Even though we felt like we did not have any reason to leave the resort, it was worth the walk. next time will definitely go zip lining at Xplor, all guests i talked to that went loved it, we just ran out of time.

We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive? Share your experiences!