“Sunscape to Dreams..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive

You added Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive to your Saves list
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 269.5 Carretera Chetumal Pto Juarez, Puerto Aventuras 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Birmingham, Alabama
“Sunscape to Dreams..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

Just returned from Dreams Puerto Aventuras. We had stayed at this resort a couple years ago when it was Sunscape, and enjoyed both vacations. While much is the same there are several notable improvements, first and foremost the rooms, which now look exactly like they do on the Dreams website. We had room 265, 2nd floor on the end with a marina and adult pool view. This was the cheapest category of rooms and we thought it was great. These are the softest, most comfortable beds we’ve ever had in the Mayan Riveria. The included mini-bar/refrigerator is kept better stocked than most with several Coronitas (small beer), juice and Cokes, Coke Light, Fanta and Sprite. The rooms have been totally renovated which is good as they were on their last legs a couple of years ago. They’ve also put all new equipment in the gym and added an air-conditioned theater. Shows in the theater and out on the beach were more family oriented, which we appreciated. Service was good before, and even better now. There is excellent pool and beach beverage service. All of the restaurants were open for our stay and we enjoyed all of them. Although we met another family who thought the language difference was difficult, we though these people spoke the best English of any resort we’ve been to in Mexico.
There is plenty of top-shelf liquor here, anything you could want and they even have Bud-Light (cans) if you don’t care for the Mexican beer, Corona is on tap. If you haven’t visited before this is a compact resort that doesn’t have all the walking most others do, more like a US beach resort size-wise. The marina area is just a few blocks away and has many shops and restaurants as well as a dolphin experience. Puerto Aventuras is a gated community (marina) so you can feel very safe here with your family.
With road construction going on in the Puerto Morales area, our cab ride to the resort took just over an hour from the airport. Airport to the resort cost $125 US but the return ride was just $65. They said everything costs more at the airport. We had a great time and we’re well taken care of. Just bear in mind that everything there is a bit slower than in the US. Relax, enjoy.
In regard to the beach, you’ll find it a bit rocky the first 20 feet or so but then the going is smooth and sandy. Water is very clear and smooth as the cove is protected. The water is very shallow however. There is a floating trampoline and climbing iceberg toy in the water and last visit they were in about 4’ of water, this time the depth there is about 18”. Don’t know what happened with that. Depth out at the entrance of the cove was only about 3’ deep. We snorkeled over on the right side of the cove and there are lots of fish to see, our 7 year old loved it and it’s only 2-3 feet deep. Pool depth runs from a walkin entrance to about 4’ deep at the swim-up bar.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I'll just save some time and cut and paste parts of what I sent Apple Vacations

I am writing to inform someone of my utter disappointment with Apple and my recent vacation to Mexico. I visited the Cancun/Riviera Maya area on a "Dreams 6-Apple Square Deal". With the opportunity to stay in one of the 3 "Dreams" resorts and a 6-Apple rating guaranteed I thought that there couldn't possibly be anything that could go wrong, and in fact even decided that this would be the perfect place to ask my girlfriend to marry me. However, I would soon find out just how wrong I was. Of course when we arrived in Cancun we were told that we would be staying in the Dreams Playa Adventuras in Riviera Maya which was the only hotel of the 3 that was not rated a "6-Golden Apple" but I had already assumed that was where we were staying and what the heck, it's still rated a 6-apple which is suppose to be "Luxurious, "Highest standard of excellence, etc…."?? What and absolute joke and rip-off!!
I'll be more specific for you. Let’s start with the drive from the airport, there were other couples in the transport and we arrived at their hotels first, they were absolutely gorgeous!!!! huge, beautifully landscaped, sprawling complexes, safe secluded and absolutely breath taking, and because I did so much on-line research I knew ours would be even nicer because ours was a 6-apple and these other gorgeous facilities we were stopping at were not!! Anyway we get to our gate which was located under an expressway overpass and to my surprise there are vagrants everywhere sitting under the overpass drinking......Luxurious???? Secluded???? we drive into the complex and it looks like I was back in college with small random hotels everywhere, with people you wouldn't wanna meet in a dark alley sitting around drinking beer in groups. We get to a second gate and here is our hotel, the lobby is basically outside. It's not taking up acres of land, (and definitely not secluded) and beautifully landscaped, it looks like a glorified Holiday Inn and It's about maybe 4 or 5 acres (if that) of hotel and property?? This is where I'm gonna be for the next week??? "Exquisite accommodations, Secluded"????
I mean I could go on and on and I will but I'll try to keep the explanations brief. The rooms and the staff in my opinion and my girlfriends were the only thing 6-Apple. The room was nice.
Upon arrival to the hotel we checked out the grounds because we of course, couldn't check into our hotel yet and we were starving so we ate at the Seaside grill.....the worst meal I've ever had in my life we got a pizza and it tasted like it just came out of the freezer cold hard and awful!!!! And don't try the Hashbrowns at any of the restaraunts!!!
After we got checked in we took the elevator, which smelled like dirty feet, was wet and had the equivalent of a bad night-light lighting it so that you could barely see your hand in front of your face. After seeing this I couldn't take it anymore I went down to talk to the on-site Apple representative and asked if there was anything he could do because this hotel was awful and not acceptable. He called the other two Dreams hotels and told us that we could go stay there for the week for an extra $675.00 A PIECE!!!! needless to say we didn't take him up on the offer and he said "well that the best I can do"!!!!
The food was absolutely second rate at best. We ate at the so-called "nicest" restaurant first, we read there was a dress code so we dressed in our best attire and then were greeted with people with no shirts, and sleeveless shirts on and shorts on eating in the restaurant.
The drinks all week were served to us in plastic lunch room cups that looked like they had been used several thousand times. One day while we were eating at the buffet (the best of all the restaurants) the roof caved in because of water damage. We went to the other "Luxurious" restaurant to eat and I ordered a Filet Mignon my girlfriend ordered a Alfredo pasta they were brought out to us within 2 minutes??? and hers was ice cold. How does that happen? It happens because the food was pre made not made to order. "Luxurious"???? We were also told "make sure you don't drink any of the water in the hotel that comes out of the tap" which we were told otherwise by our travel agent before we left. This included brushing your teeth with bottled water and taking showers with your lips sealed shut. Speaking of which three times we called down to have more bottled water brought up and they brought it up alright.......the next day....all 3 times!!!! The pictures you have on your website of the property are unbelievably misleading the restaurants and rooms do not look like that!!! I would say more than half of those pictures are no where near accurate. Isn't there suppose to be some Mexican food in Mexico? There wasn't any the Mexican restaurant that they have on sight had chips and Salsa and that was about it, I think they had Fajitas one day that were average at best.
We were also awakened every morning at 7 Am by screaming children running back and forth down the halls and pounding on our doors...that was pleasant. And to top it off you couldn't go any where in the resort without hotel staff trying to sell you a trip, spa package, etc.. As a matter of fact I believe 4 or 5 times I'd leave my girlfriend to go get us a drink and I'd come back and the same Rico Suave was insisting to my girlfriend that he let him give her a massage, then when I arrived he'd leave.
Bottom Line: I never asked her to Marry me, not there!!! and not anywhere that resembled that!!! I would say that hotel was a 4 Apple at best!!
Exquisite Accommodations, Secluded, Highest Standard of Excellence, Gourmet dinning, Jewel of the south east coast???????? I could see three other hotels standing on the beach of the Playa Adventuras that I would rather be staying at which means at the very least two things...1) it is not "Secluded" and 2) It's no “Jewel” of anything

Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

We were thrilled to book a square deal with Apple. We did not know what resort we would get till we got to the airport. We were assigned to Dreams PA and we were on our way. We have stayed at 5 apple all inclusives 3 times since the beginning of the year in the Riviera Maya and we were excited to get an even more luxurious experience. Boy were we wrong. From the moment we arrived we knew we were not going to have a 6 star experience. The lobby was not impressive and ocean view means you get to look through trees. The rooms were nice but small. The floors literally sweat water and I started the trip with a fall and bruises. Water also leaked from the ceiling as well. The pools were crowded and dirty( gross floating things, cloudy) and the food was no where near the quality that we had experienced in other resorts. DO NOT go to the sushi restaurant. You will get sushi not even grocery store quality(the salmon was the lox from breakfast). You have to pay $80 if you want internet and there is not even conditioner supplied in the bathrooms. My son caught the maids eating his pistachios for his trip home when he walked into his room on the second day. They let you have snorkel equipment but only for an hour. This resort does not even compare to the 3 star resort next door. We have stayed there twice. At checkout someone had charged spa services to our room and would not let us go when it was obviously someone else that signed for it. We almost missed our plane! We would have probably been more satisfied if we were not lied to about the rating for the hotel but I understand Apple is a part owner of the resort so it makes sense that they would rate it falsely. Shame!!

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

We booked this vacation even after reading many negative reviews because we are warm and friendly people who tend to find that people have a strange attitude when it comes to vacation. We see so many people who seem to believe they should be treated as royalty regardless of where they are or what they paying. I now know some of the people writing some of these reviews are no exception.

This resort was so fabulous that we cannot wait to return.

First, I must dispel some of what I read on this sight. I saw NO children pouring drinks over thier heads and the swim up bar was populated by adults, the same adults all day long . I saw far more ill-mannered adults than children. The patios were NOT crawling with bugs. The breakfast buffet was beautiful, and the food wasn't cold; even my picky eaters found plenty to try and plenty to enjoy. We found breakfast so fulfilling, we rarely needed lunch. The beach was small, but it truly didn't feel small. The snorkeling was great and because it is cut into the cove, it was exceptionally safe for children. The beach was VERY clean! A few rocky places, but we did NOT need the surf shoes I took with me because of these reviews.

I would agree that the rooms were humid and dark, but we were only in our rooms to sleep and clean up because we so enjoyed all there was to do at the resort. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were comfortably controlled by our own thermostat.

My own observations are that the adult pool was never crowded and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. The family pool was very large and never did it feel too crowded. The spa was exceptionally large; however, we found it too warm outside to want to get in it. There were plenty of places to sneak away to in order to feel secluded. The natural pool by the wedding gazebo was awesome! Breakfast and lunch every day was very good, but I can't rave about dinner. I don't go on vacation for the food, however.
Service was amazing and every single staff person was polite, friendly and warm. Several seemed genuinely sad to see us go.

My children (8 year old twins) LOVED the explorers club. My husband and I had so much alone time because the kids were busy collecting shells, getting their faces painted, rock climbing, making balloon animals, doing mexican crafts etc. They CHOSE to stay at the exploreres club with their new friends and play rather than come with us to dinner. This made everyone happy. After one week with four people (two of whom are 8) sharing one hotel room, we could not believe that we were not on each others' nerves.

I still need to mention the kayaking, the catamaran rides, the bungy jumping etc. There just isn't enough time to mention all the fabulous things we did. We can't wait to go back!

ttraub
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

Just returned from 5 nights at Dreams Puerto Adventuras. 2 adults (mid 30's) 3 kids. 16,15, and 8. this was an Apple Vacations square deal., so was not sure what to expect. This hotel was fantastic. Beautiful rooms, exceptionally clean everywhere, no wristbands for restaurants. Food was very good also. The service was at least what Apple told me. Fast, friendly, went out of their way to remember names and make us feel good. The entertainment staff was awesome, especially Giovanni and Janet. We didnt do much other than relaxing at the pool and beach. Some pretty good snorkeling right off the beach, and shopping in Playa Del Carmen which I highly recommend, as it was a great day. Make sure you take a walk back towards the entrance to the resort off the highway. There are some great shops, restaurants, and tons of Dolphins that the kids will love.
Definitely would go back. Would like to visit the other Dreams properties in Cancun and Talum.

RI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

As a return guest 3yrs later I was very dissappointed. When I booked the trip, was given a $100 spa credit. When going to book a masage(which costs $200.) I was told that only $40 could be used towards the spa and the rest had to be used for a romantic dinner/bottle of wine. All inclusive should include food & drink and the cost of this dinner was $300+. I shreaded the coupons and threw them away. I had to call for house keeping to clean the room on the first day. The swim up BAR was crowded by kids who's parents did not care what they were doing. Pouring drinks over their heads IN the pool. I have and love kids but they do not belong at the bar! They were obnoxious and rude. I have to give credit to the waiters/bartenders! They provide the best service and deserve the tips they get. They are very courteous and friendly. The food could have been better, breakfast was the only meal we truly enjoyed. Was not impressed with the nightly shows. Rock bands on the beach ... Helloo this is Mexico. I heard more Ozzy and AC/DC that Buffett or Marley. And the big beautiful jaccuzzi... the water was so hot in it we couldn't even enjoy it. So if you plan to stay at this hotel, keep in mind, if you bring your children, watch them! And if you are given spa credits, don't believe what they tell you, your credits aren't worth what they claim they are.

seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

arrived late, 1 1/2 hour ride from airport, used transfferes usa, great company, 23 men crew and one women, very ownest and professional, took about half an hour to check in, room was clean , king bed with small loveseat, moist, everything, ac worked well, turndown service hit and miss 5 out 9
enterteiment:bismall, volleiball net is there but ball no where to be found.
water sports: dishonest staff, we checked out goggles without inspecting them at the spot, which turned out to be broken, immediatly came back with it, guy said that we need to pay 10 dollars for the damage, we called manager, manager said that hotel wont charge us but for the rest of our vacation we were not allowed any water sports unless we "pay up10 dollars", it was a matter of principal for us...
food: fruits for breakfast only, lines to get in plus another line for your eggs or omlet at the buffet, very frustrating, linesand lines to italian and mexican place,japanese restaurant is a joke,rolls only with a paper thin slice of fish,we waited 40 min to get in with only 2 tables taken inside.
If you go bring water shoes and your own snorkelling gadgets, we purshaced ours at the marina, but for us it was frustrating experience, i complained but no one paid attention to it, unfortunatly for them.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive? Share your experiences!