“LOVE this resort. The staff make this the most exceptional all inclusive in Mexico!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive

You added Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive to your Saves list
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 269.5 Carretera Chetumal Pto Juarez, Puerto Aventuras 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

First off, so excited to FINALLY be able to write this review. Trip Advisor only lets you write one every 3 months which is a problem if you go twice in that amount of time! lol. My family has been to Dreams PA four times. Brought frequently traveled friends along this past trip (last week of Jan. 2011) and they all loved it just as much as we thought they would. All of them have been to many other all inclusives from Puerto Vallarta to Cancun to Punta Cana and Jamaica. Dreams is wonderful. The staff are what make this resort so wonderful, but don't get me wrong the beach, scenery, and gated community of Puerto Aventuras are also beautiful!
Before you even arrive they have concierge (Lindsay Sherman) on sites such as Facebook to answer questions and assist with reservation requests. They have fabulous customer service before you even arrive. Many people go to the Facebook site after they get home to usually tell Dreams how much they miss them. Such a great resource. Once to the resort everyone from the bell staff, front desk staff, entertainment staff, and waiters are wonderful. A few favorites we have met along the way are Giovanni, Alfredo and Johan (Entertainment Staff. Claudia and Noe (Wait Staff) and Xiomara (Breakfast Buffet Hostess). All EXCEPTIONAL employees. All of the employees go out of their way to assist you with whatever is needed. We also had a wonderful waiter at Oceana but I forget his name. All the food is wonderful. This resort is a smaller all inclusive, but still has all the options such as 5 restaurants and several bars. Snorkeling and kayaking are a blast. Also, renting a golf cart from downtown to cruise around Puerto Aventuras is a must. This gated community is very safe and so much fun to drive around and see all the fancy condos and beach homes. used the spa this trip for the first time. We did the couples massage which includes the steam room, sauna, and spa jacuzzi. Great experience for a good price! When going back to Mexico, my family will surely go back to Dreams.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Let me start of by saying that it is a great resort for families and couples. We traveled to 4 all-inclusive resorts prior to this one. You can definatly go and you wont be disappointed, if you know what to expect in advance. So here is my view on it:

Room:
We got a free upgrade from a Deluxe Garden view to an Ocean Front on the sixth floor, without even asking. It was a peak season, so we were really surprised. Anyway, the room was great, very clean with a flat screen TV, a huge bathroom, marble floors and very comfortable king size bad. In many reviews people were stating that the design of the shower is so that when you shower the water gets on the floor to the bathroom. I can see how that happens but just keep it in mind and turn on the water very slowly to regulate the direction. My complaint with the shower is that the pressure of the water was very low and the temperature is regulator is awful. I had to take a shower in cold water once. And the others it was warm and I couldn’t get it to the right temp for me.
Since this is a resort on a smaller scale, everything is near by so, from our 6th floor we could still hear everything that we going on in the pool (music, activities...) If you have a child that needs a nap, please request an adult side room, that’s all. By 9pm, it gets really quite...

Food/Drinks:
This is out 4th time in all-inclusive resort in Mexico and we have not seen food at such a high quality before. Since this is a much smaller hotel they are able to afford a better quality food and service. We tried Portofino (Italian Rest) it was great, food was excellent. Oceana, we had to wait about 10 minutes, but definatly worth it. Sushi Place, I never expect to have great sushi in Mexico, but to our surprise, they were great. Strongly recommend the Dragon Roll and the Spicy Tuna Roll. You will not regret. We also tried the Steak house, it was OK. I would definatly skip it next time we go. The Buffet was great; we went for breakfast every day; great variety and quality. We did not try the Mexican Rest, mainly because of the prior reviews that I read. It does not mean that it was not worth it. Most of the restaurants are right on the beach side; you can feel the ocean breeze and hear the ocean...

Pool:
They are not big, don’t be surprised. They have two pools, each has a swim-up bar, and one is at the ocean side. The other is at the adult side. If you ever get tired of hearing kid’s laughter and excitement, just go to the adult side. But then again they were not mine kids,., I did not care. There were just the two of us so we were always able to find place to lie down. Waiters are always around in that area so that you don’t have to drag your self out of the comfortable chair, just wait a little and they will serve you. Please be nice and tip them, they work so hard.

Ocean:
OMG, this was really something. I don’t swim. So for me it was heaven. Very calm, a little chilly ocean water, about 3.5 ft long at the most. perfect for kids. We saw fish swimming around our legs and lots of people were snorkeling, right there. Make sure to bring swim shoes, it gets a little rocky.

Entertainment:
Remember, this is not NY or Cruise, don’t be expecting too much. But I think that they were doing a great job with the shows. We were there during St.Patricks day. They had a day full of shows and entertainment. We were not traveling with kids, but from the looks of it, it was fun for them.

Location:
This resort is inside a town called 'Puerto Adventuro'. It’s a gated town and then a separate gate to get to the resort, very safe. The marina a just 10 minute walk, where you can find gift shops - redicusly expensive, dolphin swim, and variety of boats. Its not part you the resort, so you can get a little feeling of the local culture, but just a little, since it is still a tourist area.

Lobby:
Don’t be disappointed. Its small, but it has a bar which I believe only opens at night they serve, Mexican coffee daily and deserts.

Word of advice, when you arrive, do not go to Apple Vacation meeting, it’s a waste of time, plus Apple Vacations are very pushy. Also, they are running a promotion of advertising them 'Secret' hotel where they give you free stuff and you go with them for at least 6 hours and listen to their promotions. I think it’s a time share. If you are interested, please go right ahead, but I believe that’s it’s not worth spending the time elsewhere if you already paid money for the all inclusive resort.

Room:

Location:

Lobby:

Battersea, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

Excellence can be defined as high quality AND consistency. Dreams Puerto Aventuras aims for excellence and the quality is largely there but it just misses the mark due to lack of consistency. What others say about the staff and their friendliness is all true but somehow there remain glitches that are not adequately addressed. Examples:

1. Due to flight times from Toronto we arrived mid-morning (11am?) and didn’t really expect our room to be ready so after checking in we enjoyed ourselves exploring the resort till the stated checkin time of 3pm. At 3pm we checked back at the front desk only to be told the room was still not ready. It was close to 4pm before we got into our room.

2. There were a few of glitches in the room (family poolside, ground level). None of them are serious but just another indicator that the resort is clearly in the 4 star category and not a 5 star. The line in the oversize walkin shower for drying swimwear was missing (wall fixture parts were there), the weigh scale didn’t work (good - I gained 2 lb) and there were no towel bars anywhere in the room. So take 3m of string with you to dry off wet bathing suits in case you get the same room we had! The patio light was obviously on its last legs. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t! Its brother on the opposite wall was completely AWOL with exposed wires dangling from the electrical box on the wall.

3. When the yoga instructor (leader) had not showed up 10 minutes after the scheduled start time, a member of the group who is a professional yoga instructor offered to and started to lead the class. The instructor showed up 5 minutes later and joined the class as a participant!

Having got over my gripes after what, in truth, was overall a great 10 days, I’ll cover off a few items that I’ve not seen in other reviews or which have been incorrectly stated in other reviews. First of all, Dreams Puerto Aventuras is part of a gated community primarily tailored to the needs of vacationing N. Americans and Europeans. If you want to see the real Mexican Puerto Aventuras, go outside the gated community, turn left, go 100m and under the main highway and keep walking into the pueblo. Many of those working at the resorts live there. Go in the late afternoon and you’ll see them walking home from work. While you’re outside the gated community, walk along the sidewalk north towards Playa and Cancun for about 200m. You’ll come to a brand new Chedraui supermarket where they sell everything up to and including motor scooters. This is the best place to get your cheapest booze to take home on the plane. Cheaper than Playa and cheaper than the duty free stores at Cancun airport! As you walk around the resort community you will be struck by the sheer number of ‘for sale’ and ‘for rent’ signs on houses, condos and apartments – a reflection of the effect the recession has had on this resort community. Right outside of the Dreams entrance is a full block of empty stores, another product of the recession.

Once you’ve been outside Dreams and the gated compound to explore the pueblo, try using the local ‘colectivo’ transportation system to Tulum ruins or Playa. 30 – 50 pesos per person per trip. Google ‘collectivo’ and check on a few websites for clues on how to use this very frequent, convenient and cheap transportation system. As the colectivo system runs every few minutes from early morning to late evening along the Mayan Riviera hotel zone from Cancun to Tulum, use it to beat the tourist crowds at Tulum ruins! (I’m a cautious traveler who speaks no Spanish and I survived. Wish we had colectivos in Canada).

Back to Dreams Puerto Aventuras. One activity that I’ve not seen mentioned anywhere is pottery painting. This is a fascinating activity for young and old and provides a perfect personal Mexican souvenir of you trip. Hint: Take some bubble pack in you luggage to carefully wrap your work of art or that of your child for the trip home. Reyes and his son Hector do a wonderful job of converting mediocre artwork by 5 and 65 year old tourists into absolute gems! The hostess at the World Café, Arely, stands out among the many helpful and dedicated staff at Dreams. Not only did she have a genuine smile for everybody who entered the restaurant but she even remembered everybody’s name as they arrived to be seated. Xiomara her working buddy (co-hostess) also stands out as a gracious hostess as do waiters Amado and Gerado and the omelette guru, chef Ana. Every morning Anna gave those who tried to order in Spanish (me) a Spanish lesson on the contents of their omelette as she cooked it. Tomatoes in Spanish is easy (it’s almost the same) but I never did get onions right!

We were at Dreams for their Mardi Gras celebration. Check the Dreams website before traveling to see if there are any special events planned during your stay. For Mardi Gras they had a stage show on the beach at lunchtime and set the entire beach area up in the evening as a buffet restaurant for all to dine beneath the stars and beside the water. Afterwards there was a ‘fire and water’ show on the beach. This replaced the regular evening show in the auditorium, three of which, ‘Circus’, ‘Mexican Fiesta’ and ‘Elvis Presley’ are of high quality. We didn’t go to the other three shows so can’t comment on them.

Yes, the beach and pool are busy, noisy and relatively crowded in the day. If you don’t want noise in the day, don’t book a pool side room. Book a marina side room instead. However, you can escape from all this activity by walking a few meters to the adult pool area or go beyond the Mexican restaurant to an area where the major noise is of the waves hitting the shore and drinks being mixed. There is also an artificial tidal pool in this areas where you can safely snorkel for hours and just watch all the colourful fish. Oh, yes. You can also snorkel off the main beach which is also artificial and largely protected from ocean waves and is generally less than 1m deep. As you wade into the water, many colourful fish swim around your legs! Note: The beach is relatively small but at no time during our stay did it appear overcrowded and the water a throng of humanity. There was space for everybody.

My wife and I traveled on our own as we have grown children. There are a lot of relatively young children at this resort but they were not obtrusive and we did not experience some of the problems reported on Trip Advisor by other visitors. The staff looking after the children seemed to manage them very well, especially at meal time. There is even an area in the World Café buffet set aside for the types of foods that children seem to love and adults abhor!

Will we go back to Dreams Puerto Aventuras? Probably not only because there are so many other areas of this planet that we wish to explore before our time is up! Do we recommend it as good value? Yes!

New York City, New York

a solid 4 star resort.
premises clean and very cozy. small territory is very well layed out and isn't boring. plenty of comfortable and shaded places to enjoy your time. reasonable food for an all inclusive venue. cute beach. small but fun. great snorkling. can attract schools of fish by just putting a banana in the water. lots of fun feeding the fish! good bars, selection and drink quality-wise. very nice pools. fun and well though out. extensive entertainment program. outstanding kids club! a definite gem! if you wish you could drop off your kids at 9am and pick them up at 10pm though it would probably defy the whole notion of a family vacation. constant fun for the little ones. very careful supervision and diverse activities. lots of echo in the hallways. may be annoying but it becomes quiet by about midnight. tons of good daytrips. safe and professional. excellent outside walk around marina. very nice and safe gated comminity. practically no negatives about the resort.
a little bonus note: don't buy "cuban" cigars from the cigar guy in the main lobby. they're as cuban as i'm a pinguin (i'm not btw).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
St. Cloud, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

My wife and a friend of ours stayed at Dreams from March 5-12. We uprgraded to Preferred Marina View and we are glad we did. We had a wonderful full service bar with a great bartender. Just because you upgrade to the seventh floor doesn't guarantee that there won't be some thoughtless people who think they can be loud at 1 AM. We just called security and they got the message.
When we checked in on a Sat. afternoon we were greeted with glasses of champagne. The front desk was busy (and boisterous due to a group from no. of Green Bay, WI) and so were the secondary desks that try to give you information and get you to go to Dreams, Tulum, for a day to hear a club membership (it's not a time share) pitch.
Restaurants:
Oceana: the seafood is good; do not order the NY Strip (I call it the Tijuana Strip) or the small lobster for $50.
Portofino: we are here three times and enjoyed each meal; ask for Leo as a waiter
El Patio: we had a great meal on a Tuesday; on Wed., a cook did not show up for work and it took 45 minutes to get your food--there were more staff than diners. On Friday perhaps a teenager was in the kitchen cooking because my grouper was burned. Armando is a great waiter though.
World Cafe: we ate all our breakfasts here and the food is good; the lunch buffet has lots of choices.
Seaside: we ate a couple lunches; the food is good and the hostess is very pleasant
We did not eat dinner here, but overheard one guest say she had the ribeye and that it was good.
Pools: If you have kids or want noise, then the Family Pool is for you. If you want it a little quieter, then the Adult Pool (no kids) is for you. They turn on the jets at 10 AM and shut them off at 5 PM (why?). The hot tub was hot for one day--otherwise it is warm. We spent a fair amount of time south of the Barracuda outdoor bar--quiet, breeze, listen to waves.
General:
They have cans of Bud and Corona. Bring can coolers or thermal mugs. Bring your own snorkel mask and tube. Going through Customs on a Sat PM in Cancun or O'Hare are time-consuming. The house wines are free.
Fitness room: imagine a sauna with noisy gym equipment. There are two treadmills--one is noisy. There are two ellipticals one is noisy and the electonics on the other don'work. There are two bikes. An adequate selection of weight machines and free weights. Our first day the room temp was 70 degrees and humid; we asked them to lower the temp and put a fan in the room. The temp was lowered to 67 degrees (perfecto a concierge said) but there is no air movement in this room.
Spa: The hot tub is hot and the cold tub is cold. The steam room was out of order and I saw no one working on it.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Just got back from Dreams Puerto Aventuras - stayed for 9 nights with our 3 month old. Have stayed at two other Dreams resorts (Tulum and Cabo) and have come to expect 5-star quality from them. Chose this resort b/c it's a shorter bus ride from Cancun and was a bit cheaper over March break.

Our shuttle driver drove past PA and since it was dark out, I didn't realize until we got to Akumal. He thought we were going to Dreams Tulum - guess we should have ... Make sure your driver knows where you're going!

1) Hotel/Grounds - Quite nice. Small, just over 300 rooms which makes it intimate, and everything is super accessible. Rooms are great - modern, clean, balcony door shuts out most of the poolside noise although you can hear noise from the hallways when people slam their doors. Huge bathroom (double sinks!) - we got upgraded to an oceanview with King bed and it was awesome. Smooth walkways so pack your high heels to wear out for dinner.

2) Beach - Small but great. Perfect for kids b/c the water goes out quite far and is still pretty shallow. There's a trampoline in the water, free kayaking, catamaran-sailing and you can snorkel right off the beach onto a coral reef! Not rocky and very safe.
Like all these places, shady spots are limited so you have to get up with the old people and the babies to get your shady spot by 7am. Lots of beach chairs though and a really cool area if you head to the right past the restaurants, past the barracuda bar. I recommend this spot for quiet time in the sun with drinks nearby.

3) Pool - Main one is a noisy pool full of kids and the hot tub with kids splashing in it looked disgusting so I wouldn't go in. The adult only area was much more appealing.

4) Food - food was great. Get crepes in the morning from 8-10 at the barefoot grill (Carlos is awesome!). Buffet is great for breakfast. Portofino, el Patio and Seaside grill are great for dinner. Service was outstanding for the most part, and house wines are fine. 24-hour room service included.

5) Activities - lots of stuff going on every day. The Elvis show on Wednesday night was awesome, karaoke night twice a week at Desires, beach party, even a whole special set-up for St. Patrick's Day. We took a $20 taxi to Playa del Carmen one day to shop and check it out. Also you can walk around the gated community of P.A. Good running path around the marina. Unfortunate dolphins, sea lions and manatees are caged up nearby and you can pay to share their misery. I wouldn't recommend it.

6) Staff - Like all Dreams resorts - the people are amazing! Especially Ernestina, the hostesses, Carlos and Santiago at World Cafe and Juan at Seaside Grill. Enthusiastic, eager to please and always willing to teach you Spanish.

7) Traveling with Baby - they had an evenflo Baby Suite travel crib for our baby, and we didn't need to reserve it ahead of time. The staff loved baby and the hostesses would often come up and ask if they could hold her. There are photographers that come around and you can get a photo taken with an animal or whatever - we thought it would be cute (and safe) to have my husband hold our kid on the left with the toucan on the right - but the toucan bit my baby on the arm! Broke the skin and the kid freaked out! Turns out it wasn't a good idea ... warning: don't let your baby get near the toucan. The photographers were really apologetic and had papers showing that the bird has its shots and blah blah but I was pretty upset. She's fine though.

7) Overall - It's a great place to stay, especially for families with young children. This is NOT the place to go for a week of drinking and partying hard. It is certainly a 4-star holiday, not a 5-star like Dreams Tulum. If you can afford to pay the difference, Dreams Tulum is a better resort. But if not, you won't be disappointed here. The little things lacking here are chocolates every night with the turn-down service, champagne and scented face towels on arrival and a cozier romantic atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

This was our third time at a Dreams (stayed at Dreams Tulum twice before) and it was as great as before. Here's the breakdown:

The Room:
We booked a family suite which is two double beds and a sofabed. That's what we got and it was fine. Lovely outside terrace with two chairs - we faced a lagoon which was quiet and lovely. Bathroom was a bit oddly placed - as you walked into the room you immedidately faced the open sink area (no door). Shower is exactly as others described it - has a short glass wall which did not prevent water from splashing everywhere - even with the shower head angled away from the floor. We used towels to mop it all up but it's just a poor design. Otherwise no issues with the room. Maid was great, and we got extra towels every day around dinner time.

The Food:
At Dreams you don't need to make reservations at any of the a la carte restaurants which means you can make last minute decisions about where to eat - we LOVED that. The buffet (World Cafe) is good for breakfast (only option) but otherwise average for the other meals. We ate at all the other places except Gohan (sushi) and they were all pretty good. Favourite was Portofino (Italian) - kids loved it too (10 and 15 years old). El Patio (Mexican) was good but not great. Oceana (adults only) was very good - too bad kids weren't allowed because they would've liked the food too! Seaside Grill was very good too. For lunch we tended to go to Barefoot Grill (hotdogs and burgers, very average) or World Cafe for a quick salad. They also cook up different stuff on the beach every day.

The Service:
In a word, AMAZING all around. We only had a few instances of not so great service in a couple of restaurants but overall the waiters, bartenders, maids etc. were excellent. Front desk was helpful and concierge was great (our flight home was delayed and he took the initiative to call our rep to find out our new pickup time). We were unable to get late checkout from our room (our pickup wasn't til 6:30 pm) but we were able to use the spa for a shower which was great.

The Beach:
It's small, and if you like to walk along the beach for a while you will be disappointed. But there isn't as much coral in the water as at some other resorts so it's easier on the feet! Waves aren't at big either because the resort is set in a cove of sorts with a breaker to "break" the waves. Our kids are pool kids anyway so whatever. The Dive shop on the premises lets you borrow some stuff for free for an hour (each) - snorkeling gear, kayaks. It was very windy where we were there so kayaking was out of the question (too hard to navigate the waves) but we tried snorkeling - saw some awesome fish at a lagoon nearby. Finally, usually plenty of lounge chairs on the beach unless you went too late, and enough shade.

The Pools:
We hung out on the beach side because of the kids; the adults only pool was on the other side of the resort. Our pool was, unfortunately, in full shade by 3pm which, combined with the wind, could make for a chilly swim late in the afternoon. But there was enough sun elsewhere so that was okay!

The Activities:
The Dreams Team works hard and there is lots to do, but you don't feel like you have to do it. I did water aerobics at noon almost every day and we did a couple of other things but that was it. We didn't attend any of the shows at night - usually asleep by 10 what with spending all day in the sun! Almost every night they showed a movie on the beach, plus you can borrow (older) DVDs from the concierge (we got Jaws, not recommended if you intend to snorkel next day!!). The resort is in a "made up" community (Puerto Aventuras) and you can walk to Dolphin Discovery in 5-10 minutes and watch dolphins, sea lions and manatees do their things (for free).

Overall:
A very small resort (300 rooms) which we loved, easy to find everything and we let the kids do their thing without worries (gated community). By the way the spa is also awesome. I'd go back to this or any other Dreams ANYTIME! And am already planning next year's March Break :)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive? Share your experiences!