“My Maya Vacation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Caribe

You added Barcelo Maya Caribe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Caribe
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% discount
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Charlotte, North Carolina
“My Maya Vacation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I visited this resort with several friends, many who have stayed here before. I was hopeful that this all inclusive resort was going to be as great as they said it was. Well it is not according to them it is not what it used to be.

At the airport is where it started for me. I had a confirmation email that a ride would be waiting for me and a friend. Once we run the gauntlet at the airport and get outside it takes us 45 minutes to find the Barcelo representative and our names are not on the list. I produce the confirmation email he tells us to wait over by the bar. I seem him making several calls and after 30 minutes he comes back and says he will get us a ride but we have to wait for other parties to arrive. 45 minutes later they arrive and we are headed to Barcelo Maya Beach....Now wait we are supposed to go to Barcelo Maya Caribe? " No they said Beach" he said...hmm ok I will go with the flow.

So now we are checking in and I asked why am I at the Beach when we reserved Caribe? "The Caribe resort is under construction" is what we are told. So Barcelo let us reserve Caribe which is centrally located and put us at the Beach on the end of the resort. They did this with no notice and didn't seem to have any remorse as they checked us in. So if you booked the Caribe property don't expect to stay there because as of 5-24-14 when we left it was tore up.

So now I will rate the amenities on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best.
Pool was an 8, very large with plenty of seating.

Pool Bar was a 3, it was under staffed many times during the day and I waited up to 20 minutes to get a drink several times during my stay. Several times some of the bartender where extremely rude and made comments under their breath in Spanish. I guess this is how the meter out the all you can drink with slow service.

Beach was large and Had plenty of beach chairs. I am giving that a 10.

Food was a 5, Most of the meals where made with cheap cuts of meat with little to no flavor. Breads and rolls where hard as rocks most of the time. Ham and Hotdogs seemed to be hidden in every meal in multiple entries. My guess is they had to empty out the freezers at Caribe for the construction.

Drinks was a 5. Beer was Corona and if you asked you could get Modela if they didn't run out. Most of the mixed drinks where made with a sugary syrup and some type of cheap liquor. If you asked for a particular brand you would usually get 1 drink and then they would tell you they ran out unless you tipped then all was good. (oh you think tipping wasn't allowed? More on that later)

Room was a 4. The decor was worn out. The mattress was very firm. The A/C worked great. The water pressure was strong. The bathroom had many issues including mold and a faded bathroom mirror. Towels are like sand paper. The stocked refrigerator was nice.

Staff was an 9. 99 percent of the staff went above and beyond great service. Many of them seemed to be very proud of their Country.

Wi-Fi is 50-60 USD and is good in the rooms and pool but that is about all.

Hints:
I was told tipping was prohibited, but I found everything went smoother when a tip was given.

If renting snorkel gear bring a credit card. They are not part of the resorts. If you forget it you will have to walk all the way past the resort you where supposed to be staying (Caribe) and good 30 minute walk back to the beach resort.

Visit Tulum ruins it was breath taking.

You can upgrade to the premium level by paying $25 per person per day. Worth it if you like drinking good liquor.

Look through the coupons they give you when you check in and make sure they record it on the paperwork what you are paying for. We used coupons but they never recorded them and on check out our bill had full prices listed with no discounts.

If you are looking for WOW vacation this is probably not the place for you.

Room Tip: Make sure Caribe is going to be available if you reserved it. I am 6'4" tall and the shower...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Phixer1280; Many thanks for your comments regarding your stay at Barceló Maya Beach. We are glad that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay, however would like to apologize that everything was not up to the standard you would have liked. The comfort of our guests is of utmost importance to us, and without these comments we could not improve our services

Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences caused due to the information you received previous to your arrival. We had advised our travel partners that Caribe hotel would be closing for renovation but that all services would be relocated in the Beach hotel.

We always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make their vacation enjoyable, I would also like to assure you that guest feedback is very important for us, and wherever possible we are happy to listen and learn, we hope that they will give us the opportunity to serve them again sometime in the future.

Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

Nice relaxed hotel,with many possibilities . The food was great In the buffet restaurants and super friendly service!
The ála carte Restaurants In the hotel was really a nice surprise. Very Delicious food and cosy inviorment.
The staff provided a high standard, so you could just sit back and enjoy .

• Stayed March 2014
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear guest Sirtravelallot,

We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Caribe staff involved in your entire satisfaction. Knowing that you travel a lot and hearing your kindly comments meant a lot to us!

We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Best regards!
Portimão
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed on this hotel with my wife during the last week of April, and it really match my expectations: very good resort, front beach, clean, very good food (you must taste all the different natural juices at the breakfast) the beach was really amazing, specially if you are a snorkling fan. The 2 thematic restaurants (Mexico Lindo and Dom Quixote) are good but i have to say the "Dom Quixote" is a must...you have to try and ask to be served by Jorge.
The only thing i have to point out as a negative was the welcome receveid on the arrival day: after flying for more than 12 hours and nearly 36 hrs without sleeping, we arrived at the hotel around 9h30 pm. The check-in lasted for more than 30m and after putingt the luggage in the rooms we were starving...but...the restaurant closed at 10pm and the only option was to wait until 1am to get some snacks from another bar near the reception !!! I found this unaceptable and after a claim made into the front-desk they offered us room-service...terrible...we waited for more than 1h30 to eat some cold fried chips and sandwiches.
A hotel of this level should prepare in advance the welcome for the guests arriving late, specially those who come from Europe and surely have passed the last 20 hours in airports eating "airport food".
Overall a very nice holidays, surelly a place to return (hoping to get a very different welcome)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
MPereiraPortim_o; Many thanks for spending your vacation at Barceló Maya Caribe and contacting us through Tripadvisor with the comments you very kindly share about your vacations, we are glad that you enjoyed many aspects of the property and service, however we are sorry that your arrival were not up to your expectations, we would be happy to take your comments into consideration to allow us to improve this service.

We remind at your service and we will be pleased to serve you again in the future.
Ely, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We booked our holiday in late 2012 and it was with First Choice/Thompson for the caribe
Flight and transfer.

The Thompson dreamliner was very comfortable, good food and service and plenty to do on the interactive screen in front of you. The transfer was smooth, but remember to go outside of the Airport with your hotel name written on paper to show the rep where you are staying.Buses have names rather than numbers.

Arrival at the Hotel/Front desk.
Booked in ok and the Bell boys will label your luggage with your room number and take it for you. The front desk were helpful, but you have to be firm and make sure you get what you asked for. If you need to leave a message for someone, please write it down on paper and all the details and make sure if you cannot deliver it, get them to do it asap.
We were on the ground floor, but then we moved up stairs as the balcony is alot more private.
We looked at upgrading, but no real benifit, unless you want to spend all your time on the internet.We had our 6ft, 13 year old son with us, the rooms are very nice, good size beds with topped up minibar everyday Good aircon and large fan.

The Caribe and Beach Hotel and grounds.
I have to say that we cannot fault the tireless effort the staff did everyday. They cleaned up leaves, cut grass, cleaned and levelled the beach and if you see them cutting down the coconuts go and have a drink with them.The lobby, toilets and walkways were always clean and tidy.

The Beach
Wonderful white sand, perfect, we sat near the Capitan Morgan bar which was less crowded and handy for the bar. If you swim/snorkel out to the edge of the roped area you with find a reef teeming with fish, and keep looking within the roped area and you will find turtles feeding. This was just amazing. Snorkel by the jetty also as there are shoals of surgeon fish, and you can buy food to feed them.

Food/Buffet
All i can say its that i have never seen so much food and such a variation each day. You cannot fail to try something different and the quality was never a issue. If you like Pizza, burger, chips and donuts you will be happy!!! Please try everything sometime during your stay.We ate in the large beach buffet and the Caribe which had a smaller option. Lunch time we ate in the Capitan Morgan or the Rio.

Drinks
Plenty every where, cocktails amazing made by Horitio and Lllinna at the Capitan Morgan bar.

Service/staff
Our room was always cleaned and fresh towels daily, the dinning areas were always being cleaned and generally the hotel was clean and tidy throughout. The staff are very hard working.

Out and about
Book to go with the Dolphins on the Sliver package with your rep, you wont regret it, be careful as the photos at the end are expensive. Scuba diving also booked with the rep will get you hooked, it did with me and my son, a must.If you want to travel about the collecttivo is a must as its cheap. This is the local bus service and they are minibuses. If you stand on the road and wave them down they will stop, but not if they are full. Say where you want to go and they will remember, pay when you get off.

Entertainment
A show every night which was ok, walk around the grounds and you will find other shops etc

Conclusion
I would come back to the area in the future, maybe stay at one of the other hotels in the grounds. There was somebuilding work going on, but did not both.us
The weather was great as we stayed the two weeks before the easter break. Do have a walk around the whole complex, see what you can find.

Room Tip: Better on the upper floors in the Caribe.Upgrades are expensive, so be aware what you will get extra...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
andrew e; First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impresions about the property and our services, we are glad that you and your family have enjoyed your time with us and you found our staff to be hard working and friendly.

We always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make their vacation enjoyable, I would also like to assure you that guest feedback is very important for us, and wherever possible we are happy to listen and learn.

We remain at your service.
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We arrived here on a Friday afternoon, check in was very easy and fast ! Found our room with no troubles (we stayed in the Sayil building) the room was comfortable and cleaned everyday and the air conditioning worked great ! The grounds were great and always clean (the staff is very hard working) most staff spoke good English. The pool on the caribe resort were mostly quiet and relaxing but if you want music on more up beat, the maya beach pool is where you want too be. The beaches were absolutely gorgeous with powder like sand, a bit rocky on the caribe side but more down toward the beach resort is where we stayed. The food was surprisingly better than I expected but you get sick of the same stuff all the time (the pizza is amazing ). The staff are very friendly and always pass with a smile! There was lots to do on the resort ( disco, shopping centre, watersports, etc..) it's about an hour from the airport but not a bad drive. I hope to come back to this resort in the future, we really end enjoyed our week here !!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor, more privacy on the balcony
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Steph B; Many thanks for your comments you kindly share with the Tripadvisor users, we are glad that we have exceeded your expectations and spent a great time with us.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

we just got back from our 4th time at the barcelo maya resort. The transformation of the beach hotel is astounding. It looks nothing like the old lobby. All very new and shiny, very artsy and much more high end than before. We stayed at the caribe this time which is now undergoing the same change as the beach as of April 25th, so we got to say goodbye to the old style that we are familiar with. I can understand the need for updating but I do miss the truly mexican flavor it had before. Our holiday was just as wonderful as always but we will not return for a 5th time. It is time to find a new place to unwind and relax in. I prefer old mexican traditional to the new more modern and colder feeling it is becoming now. Oh well, all things must change or get stagnet so I guess we will have to accept it. Anyway, if you decide to make the Barcelo Maya your resort you will not regret it. The people are always fantastic to deal with and the food is great.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
fredslady: Many thanks for your contact and your comments regarding our services. We are very pleased that you continue to enjoy your stays and thank you for your continued patronage of Barcelo Maya Beach Resort.

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

The beach and pools are beautiful. Grounds well kept and clean. The buffet was clean and lots of choices at the buffet. The staff were friendly but we had some issues with service. The rooms weren't as clean as other resorts we have stayed. The drinks were plentiful and the weather was beautiful. Pretty good vacation!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
TaR R; Many thanks for choosing Barceló Maya Beach and the time you have taken to share your impressions about the property and our services with the Tripadvisor users.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#6 of 16 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 stars 2,264 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 16 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 stars 2,944 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Caribe? Share your experiences!