“Barcelo Maya Caribe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Caribe

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Caribe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Caribe
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra Federal Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Nuneaton, UK
“Barcelo Maya Caribe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

A very large complex of hotels in a beautiful location, which you couldn't fault if the weather was good. When the weather was bad though, they struggled to cater for good entertainment. The rooms were very pleasant, comfortable and clean. The food in the buffet areas was not that outstanding given it was a Barcelo and advertised as a 4* - seemed to be the same thing just packaged differently. The a la cartes were very good though.
The local people are some of the friendliest I've come across on holiday and while they naturally try to get you to buy their goods, if you say no thank you they didn't pester you. The local little buses were fantastic value for money - as the resort is quite isolated, you could get to Puerto del Carmen or up to Tulum for 30 pesos one way - very good value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

991 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Polish first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Wow is what I can say about the complaints on the hotel! Please do not believe them if you are looking for an all inclusive. We have gone twice and have had no problems with their service what so ever! We stayed the Caribe both times and the second time there was a problem with the refrigerator but they replaced it immediately when they could not fix it. It was in June so that may have been the problem of it not being all that cold.

Of course if you go during the winter months like we did 8 years ago the pool was cold but what do you expect when they don't heat it and why should they when it is warm. I personally go for the beach because you can go anywhere to sit by a pool.

The beds can be a bit hard but my husband and I loved them and actually looked to see who makes it....a Serta. We have bad backs so they felt so good!

Yes the food can be a bit boring but if you are going for food stay at a regular hotel and go out to eat every night. We did have one problem with the service at the buffet the second time we were there but that is not the hotels fault it was the person. He would not serve us any water and was rude. We went to the other side of the buffet the next day and had better service and when he saw us tip that person you should have seen his face!

The beach is awesome!
We were looking for another all inclusive in the same area but nothing was what we were looking for. I love to snorkel so you can do that and in front of the older section...where we stay.. is the best part of the beach!

The location is perfect. If you want to go to Akumal for the day it is only a 1/2 hour away and if you want to go to Playa that is also a 1/2 hour away.

So please do not listen to the bad reviews...nothing is ever perfect in life and if you are thinking it is you have a major head problem!

Room Tip: All rooms are great and if you have a problem let them know but don't be rude about or you will...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Just got back from the Barcelo and after reading the previous reviews I am wondering if they stayed in the same hotel. I could find no fault with the hotel at all. Arrival was fine checked in quickly and easily with a welcome drink at reception.

Room; Our room was lovely, it was spotlessly clean had everything we needed, the bed was so comfortable and the pillows I wanted to bring home, like sleeping on marshmallows. Bed was changed everyday as well as towels and bathroom bits and bobs.

Food; The buffet was extensive and I thought catered to everyone's taste I am a rather picky eater but I never got bored with what was on offer, the a la carte dinners were also of good standard and it was nice to break away from the buffet for a more romantic dinner.

Facilities; Pool was huge and more than enough loungers to go around and the beach was beautiful, it is a tad rough under the feet getting in the sea and a bit of a drop initially but then gets sandy, however, I would recommend bringing swim shoes as there are rocks and coral the further you go out and I cut my foot and had to buy shoes there. There was plenty going on around the pool and on the beach during the day if you wanted to get involved but if you wanted peace and quite it is spacious enough to get some. Snorkeling at the pier was amazing we bought our own gear in Tulum which was a fraction of the cost in the hotel or Playa de Carmen.

Entertainment; Loads to do during the day, there was a show on every night in the theatre, we even got to see a ballet they put on the nutcracker which I was very surprised to admit was very good. I was a bit upset I never got to see a mariachi band and then on my last day there a band turned up and played at the bar.

Excursions; can't really comment on these as we didn't book any as we wanted a quite relaxing holiday, the only thing we did book was Coco Bongo which was worth every penny and a great night out.

Getting about; the only way to get about was by collectivo, these are the local mini-bus and cost 30 peso's per person no matter where you are going. You can get cabs but why bother. The collectivo went from Tulum to Play del Carmen and stopped right outside the hotel (main road not reception).. If you are going to Tulum they expect you to get off at the ruins, which is fine if you are going to the ruins, but if you want a taste of the real mexico get off at Tulum Centro, it is a bit more like a poor mans Playa but you can buy your souvenirs here at a fraction of the costs in Playa. Another plus for the hotel is that it is only across the road from the cenotes or just jump on a collectivo to the ones further away. Apparently the most beautiful one is walking distance from the hotel and it saves you a lot of money to pay at the cenotes than book it through either the rep or hotel.

Overall; we had a fantastic time and I would recommend this to anyone, beautiful hotel, beautiful surroundings some fantastic wild life around, we saw monkeys, iguana's, sereque's a host of different birds, was amazing. I am currently trying to convince my husband that we should go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We just got back. Rating from 1-10

Buffet Restaurants -Rating 5

Al Carte Restaurants - Rating 6

Grounds-8

Nightly Entertainment-Rating 4 (snorefest)

Daily Entertainment (we went to the Maya Beach side for this since this is where they hold their main entertainment) - Rating 5

Resort Shops-Rating 7

Staff friendly-Rating 7

Bar Service and Quality of drinks (we tip regularly)-Rating 6 (taste water down and sometime very slow service)

No Beach or Pool service- Rating 3 , Although we knew this when we booked this hotel but we really missed it as last year we had this at IBEROSTAR MAYA BEACH, You will have to go for a hike from beach to pool bar for a drink.

Pools- Rating 8

Beach- Rating 9

Room Rating 8

Lobby Rating 6

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

i liked this hotel better than the iberostar because walking between the rooms and beach was much less. the food was about the same, room service was great. we received a fruit plate on the first day and our last night a plate of pastries which was really good. a few rocks in certain areas on the beach but once u walk around them its not that bad. would go back again. we stayed in bldg 14.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Our experience in Mexico was not very good at all. From the time we arrived things were not going well for us. We were there from December 23 to 30, 2012. Expedia.ca screwed us on transportation to and from the airport. We ended up having to pay $127 just to get from the airport to our hotel. We also had to take a cab from the hotel to the airport coming back, which cost us $75. Checking into the hotel was another night mare. They did not have my daughter registered to stay with us so It took hours to get a hold of Expedia to get everything sorted out. I had to get a calling card for $20 and the funds ran out from being on hold and I never got to speak to anyone. When we finally got our room there was only one bed so we had to get moved to another room the next day. The food at the hotel was terrible. I couldn't even get a decent drink anywhere. I tried several different drinks and they all tasted awful. Even a simple rum and coke was terrible. The coke tasted funny. I was not happy but I tried to make the best of the trip. The Caribe is OK but I would never stay there again. The only thing that made this trip was the Beach and the weather. The Xplore excursion was also awesome with all the different ziplines, swimming under caves and the jungle tour. We even ate in the Spanish Restaurant and that wasn't great either. This was our third time to Mexico and we will not be going back. I am done with all inclusives. Not worth it for us anymore.

Room Tip: If you plan to go to Mexico go to Cancun and make sure you stay in a 5* Hotel.
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My experience is almost identical to oceansmountains' review. I chose this place because apparently it had 10 restaurants to choose from and my two adult children enjoy dining. Upon our check in, we were given the bad news that we were entitled to 2 a la carte dinners only for a 6 day stay in the restaurants in our section, the others were off-limits or had an extra cost. I had to argue, haggle and fight for them to give me more tickets, since I argued that the limitation was no where to be found in the web pages where the package was sold. The had me there for a full hour before they agreed.

As it turned out, the a la carte restaurants were awful; bad quality food and the wine was undrinkeable. I'm not a snob, it actually tasted like watered down wine-flavored gatorade. When I asked the waiter if I could see the bottles, he just kind of stood there and admitted it came from a box (and on top of that I believe they watered it down). Of course they offered a wine list where the cheapest bottle was about $50. Alchohol was the bottomest of the bottom shelf so you had no option other than to request mixed drinks.

The place was pretty and had nice pools, the staff was pretty nice, but that just doesn't cut it. I will definitely stay clear of Barcelo hotels in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Caribe? Share your experiences!