“If you use allinclusiveoutlet.com please read!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Caribe

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Caribe to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Caribe
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra Federal Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km 266.3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
melinda_chris
“If you use allinclusiveoutlet.com please read!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We just returned last night from the Maya Caribe. First of all, I want to say the staff was
wonderful. There is nothing bad to say about them. I was shocked to see we were the only ones tipping the waiters, maids, and bar tenders. I don't care if resorts say 'tips included'..this is Mexico..the average Mexican makes $5 per day...this includes hotel staff. Please be respectful and tip like you would in the USA or where ever you're from...they work hard and deserve it!!

Rooms: Our first room had black mold in the bathroom...a lot of it. When we told the front desk they quickly changed our room to the 5000's building (a much newer building it seemed). The rooms are equal to a Hampton Inn, etc..nothing special, but not bad at all.

Food: Buffet was VERY disappointing...but I went expecting that from reading the reviews. The food is pretty gross and the juice and fruit is actually pretty warm..not cold at all. There were flies everywhere as well. Don't get me started on the mosquitos. We went to the Grande Rancho grill, Agave, and the spanish restaurant. We booked those right after we checked in. The Mexican (Agave) was WONDERFUL, best food at the resort. Spanish and steakhouse was 'okay'.

Beach/Pool: Beach was beautiful and PERFECT. The hotel really is at a great location on the beach. The pool was also great. Bartenders were very kind. Drinks were pretty weak and watered down.

If you are using allinclusiveoutlet.com this is for you: DO NOT BOOK YOUR EXCURSIONS through American Express!!!! American Express is the tour company who will do your airport transfers. When they give you a time to go and meet with the rep...just go and get your pick up time...don't buy excursions from him!!! We made the mistake of buying the Xcaret Plus from him and found out we were overcharged $40!!! The hotel and every other company charges the normal rate. It took us 3 days to get it straightened out and who knows if they will ever refund our debit card. We wished we would have booked all three excursions through the hotel. American Express overcharges hoping you won't do any 'research'.

Overall, I would not go return to this hotel. I wish we would have paid the extra $800 and stayed at the Maya Palace. It is equal to a Vegas hotel and is BEAUTIFUL!! We keep hearing the food was amazing too. Next time we will know better!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011 via mobile

My husband I and I went with my brothers family and we all had a wonderful time. From food to location and services, it was Fab.

• Stayed June 2011
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Me and My husband have traveled for 6 years, often 2 to 3 times a year, so we really know what to expect and what we like. When we read reviews, we look for cleaniness, beach...etc. We are Riu lovers but decided to go with Barcelo once more, we stayed at Barcelo Maya Tropical ( 2 doors down) 2 years ago and we would go back there or to the Colonial any day.
We LOVED the beach and ocean, you can be in neck water and see the color of your toes! Amazing, swim in the roped area where the rocks are and you will see many many sting rays and baracudas!! So invest in some good googles. We loves how jungle it looked.
We DIDNT like that the rooms weren't so cool, it was actually like there was no air, just fan, but i sleep in cold cold room at home. The outdoor eating was fine (no sweating) however mosquitos were bad (not bad at Tropical or Colonial cause they have indoor eating), so Bring Bug Spray cause its 12 bucks there. Food was just okay but steak house, brilliant!
We didnt mind much but dont expect any rooms to have ocean views, at those resorts there at Barcelo, no one does. The pool was "okay" not so clean but not nasty enough for me not to swim in it. If you booked your trip already, just enjoy it, i know i did, but if you didnt or can move hotels go to TROPICAL OR COLONIAL!!

ALSO not a pleasnt smell sometimes in your room, it was a nasty sewer smell but it would go away, come and go, so my suggestion, bring air freshner!!

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: They are not accomidating AT ALL! you get what you get, no bother trying unles your paying.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I am going to start out by saying that this was my husband and I 6 year wedding ann. We wanted to take a much needed trip that was very relaxing and romantic. So we decided to pick the Caribe. I will start from the 1st day on. First of all it took us almost 3 hrs to get from the airport in Cancun to the resort. I got the shuttle bus directly from the hotel. They were there when we got off the plane then told us there would be 5 stops before ours. The stops where are other resorts along the way. We lost a whole day due to travel! Then we checked in and the rate that I was told was less then what the told me when we checked in 30.00 more we had to pay. Then we were told that we can only eat at the buffett in our hotel the caribe we could not go to any of the other restraunts. But they would give us 2 nights free at the Spanish and Mexican but you better book it now or we wont get in. The front desk staff was not very friendly at all! Then we got to the room which I have no complains about it was nice not the best but nice. The food was the worst at the buffett for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The buffetts are all outside so we were sweating the whole time while eating. They had fans in there but that was all! Then the pools and the bars by the pools close so early you cant enjoy anything at night. There were no lights on the beach! So no walks at night :( THe only way you got good service at the pool bars or when eating was to tip the staff. Every other all inclusive resort I have been to they say Please do not tip the staff, not at this one. The only way you got good service was to tip. The room service was the worst it was free but you had to pay 8.00 per plate for a room service charge! The pools were ok there were a bunch of teenage kids getting drunk and we didnt even want to get in the pool and they were under age! I picked this location because I didnt want to deal with teenage kids in Cancun. No top shelf drinks if you wanted you had to pay. Then we tried to schld our shuttle service back to the airport. The lady told us we were to late that she could only do a private one for 105.00 or we can get a taxi for 75.00. I will never return to this resort or any other Barcelo resort! Dont waste your money!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Beloit, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

This place is ok. Food is ok at the buffets, but every dinner we had outside of the buffet was very good. Check in went fast but they tried to get us to purchase the "upgrade". We were told the only way that we could have rooms near the couple we booked the trip with would be for both of us to cough up the money ($500) total. We passed and ended up with rooms next to each other anyway - so this was a rip off scam to start, which really put me off. On all of our paperwork it said rooms next to each other. Nice try to scam us. We immediately went to book our dinners due to the limited amount of space and per everyones recommondations out here. Too late, 15 minutes there and everything was "booked". Well, we just went to the resataunt and paid the hostess off to get in. I was ill one night and we cancelled about 1pm our dinner reservations at the Tropical and still got charged for all 4 of us even though we cancelled. On the receipt she pointed out at checkout it says no refunds. How can they not refund money I haven't paid yet? They were very good about getting us a credit after we provided them with the name of the person we tried to cancel with prior to their 3pm change cutoff time. At least they did that for us. The beach is amazing, the pool is so cold it was really hard to get in. Of course once in it you get used to it quick. Got chairs everyday but once at the beach. Buffet food was just average. Got so sick of them I just couldn't do it on the last day and went hungry. We went and bought snacks instead. Drinks were never even close to the same at the bars. Each bartender even at the same bar may or may not make the drink right. Plus VERY weak... boo. So sick of Corona I can't even tell you. Yuck. Wish they had another option for beer other than Corona. Trip to and from Airport was about 2 hours due to the stops we had to make and construction on an overpass. They stuffed us all into a van and it was so uncomfortable it was painful for a couple of us. The entertainment was pretty good, but hard to find seating if you do not get there very early. Walking this resort was wonderful. It's grounds are beautiful. We were able to snorkle right off the beach and saw some amazing fish and a sea turtle that we swam next to. Very cool. Never went swimming by the pier as it was jam packed and just all the same fish over there. Service for our room stunk... We did not get snacks or drinks refilled for our first 2 days, then for our last 3 despite calls and my husbands visit to the front desk. We also had a very loud ceiling fan that kept us up the first night. We finally turned it off and tried the air... not amazing by any means. We wanted our room open but needed the fan. Called twice to have it fixed and again, both my husband and I visited the front desk - still not fixed. The 3rd night my husband got up on a chair and rigged it up so we could at least stand it. Broken conditioner container in the shower and they never fixed it or filled it. No biggy, I always bring my own. But it would have been nice to have it. One morning woke up to the wonderful sight of someone's trash and puke on our patio. The people above us threw everything including their supper onto our patio below them. We called the desk to have this cleaned up and they said that they would right away. We got back to our room after being gone all day and it was still there, but now the sprinklers had at least gotten rid of some of it. Called the desk again, still did not clean up. Found a grounds worker and asked them. It was finally taken care of after that on the 2nd day. Was not able to use our patio for 2 days. Very dissapointing. Our friends first trip and they loved it. It wa ok for us, after staying at Moon Palace Golf, and then Le Blanc in Cancun - this place is like a Super 8. They were happy and want to go back next year... we will not be joining them if we have to stay at this resort.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Lewisville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

We stayed in Caribe and all in all this was a wonderful trip. I will start with the unpleasantries, the worst thing out of the whole trip was completely out of Barcelo's hands because we had a tropical storm hit for two days while we were there. Barcelo however did a FABULOUS job keeping all of the guests entertained in the lobbies. However I do wish that at check-in we would have been told exactly how the a la cartes worked and that we had to go to guest services to get a reservation they also were not available until our last three nights there. My last complaint is the scheduled eating times were never followed. We quickly learned on the first day that a posted time does not mean the restaurant will be open on time or open at all. We just adjusted and found the ones that were and didn't have a problem after that.

Now for the good! The dive shop onsite, Dressel Divers, was excellent and very professional. They do everything they can to make sure you don't go to the same dive site twice. During the tropical storm the staff did an excellent job with entertainment there were board games, putt-putt, bingo and plenty of wait staff to serve drinks. We went to Agave, Don Quixote, and El Ranchero which were all delicious and the buffets had themed nights every night so the food selection was always great! I did get engaged on this trip which was very romantic and we were able to book a time slot with Kodak who met us (in the tropical storm) to take some engagement pictures for us at a very decent price. I also emailed the hotel 7 days before our arrival and let them know which building I preferred and that I wanted to be as close to the pool/beach as possible, which was granted! Everything was extremely well kept and clean (even after the storm hit) and everyone was extremely friendly throughout the entire property!!!

We will definitely be coming back!!

Room Tip: Email the hotel and let them know your preference!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Our long awaited vacation went south with the first step into this place. We had specific reservations to Barcelo Caribe resort, where all of our other family members and friends were staying, but were told to check in at Barcelo Beach resort which is a neighboring resort, due to Caribe being full. We were told to spend the night at the Beach and move in to the Caribe the next day. Took us 45 minutes and several managers to get the things right. Finally despite countless assurances that “The hotel is full”, we got in.
Soon after settling in we discovered that the disappointments were only beginning.

Ala carte Restaurants- During our stay made several attempts to make reservations but were told that there is no availability. (But not a single night that we observed these places to be even half full) The hotel managers did suggest that we make reservations at restaurants of another resort (Barcelo Palace) for the price of $15-$20 per person including kids.

Food quality at the buffet - Though the food variety was plentiful many items were simply uneatable. Some food tasted spoiled, other items were severely over salted or masked with a spice souse to cover the foul smell and taste and many other items had a very strong chloride taste to them.

Every visit to those places, it took on the average of 10 minutes just to get the waiter near the table and another 15 the next time. (All that despite good tipping)

Room - average room that you can expect at a 3 star hotel. Housekeeping was ok, although they do not change sheets unless you throw them off your bed on the floor.

Pools – good size but not heated. If the weather is not sunny the water becomes cold.

Beach – nice but not as clean as it should be. On several occasions there were large pieces of broken glass through out the beach as well as some other trash.

Hotel management – Four consecutive nights we were unable to get any sleep because of a large group of teenagers staying in several rooms next to ours. From 24:00am-05:00 am it sounded like all hell broke loose. There were non stop wild screams, doors slamming, bangs on other people’s doors and even fighting. Numerous pleas and complains from many guests to hotel management to put a stop to this went ignored.

Air Conditioning on premises- None-except for hotel rooms.

Drinks- unless you don’t mind local liquors or washed off drinks prepare to shell out some serious money ($5-$10) for any decent drink.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Caribe? Share your experiences!