“Fantastic, Great Room, Great Beach, Great Food, Great Service, Great Shopping -Almost Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Toronto Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Barcelo Beach Dec 19-26. We are seasoned travelers who have been to at least over 20 (4* Minimum) all inclusive resorts including Breezes all over Cuba, Sandals, Punta Cana Princess, Riu Negril, Club Meds, etc... and have never been impressed enough to write a review.... Till Now.

Barcelo Maya Beach is a GREAT PLACE to spend your holidays, with or without kids...

Normally I prefer adults only places, but there was a GREAT kids program with tons of things to do for the youngsters which kept them busy and no disturbance at all....I highly recommend this place for kids of all ages....

Room- Excellent Bed, Rain Shower Head with great Pressure and TV stations galore. There were even free adult movies at night, If that is your thing. The free minibar was stocked daily and maid and turn down service was excellent.

Beach- Soft Sand and Turquoise water with snorkeling off the pier... I love to swim and hang at the beach and was very impressed with this set up. Even though the hotel was full, we always got chairs and a place in the shade under a tree, even though we arrived at the beach daily around 11AM.

Food- We ate at the buffet every day and was very impressed with the selection and service. There was a smoothie prep station with loads of fruits and veggies at every meal. Great touch. My only complaint, albeit a minor one, was there was no fresh squeezed OJ. for breakfast but it was made up for with the smoothies and great selection of food.

Drinks- All top shelf stuff included and there were Corona Taps Everywhere :)) with both light and dark versions... Ahhhh.

Nightlife- the shows were on par with most other resorts and the Jaguar disco on premise was allot of fun after the show. It usually had people there as it was used by all five resorts.

Shopping- Fantastic.... My wife spent allot of time shopping for Natural Stone jewelery and found some GREAT DEALS.. She is a professional shopper and was really impressed with the Kiosk owner and his sister who hand made all their jewelery at the kiosk and sell it for far less than what it would cost in Canada and great quality ... The Kiosk is at the End or Beginning of the Plaza Mexicana, which is between the Convention/Business Center and Maya Beach. Ask for Didier Chan ( He is Mexican looking, not Chinese) who is the owner and he will make/design styles just for you...

All in All I Highly Recommend this place for both singles and couples and would be happy to answer any questions if you need more info...

Happy Travels,

Jon

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

4,540 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Polish first
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

First of all, I've read some recent bad reviews that show dissatisfaction with: the food; the distance to the dining area; the rudeness of the staff. Here's my take:

the food
if all you understand is cheeseburgers, hotdogs and doughnuts, then don't spend your money here and complain later. You won't understand. The buffet is exceptionally well run, the choices of fine seafoods and meats is overwhelming, and the choice of fresh veggies, fruits and local cuisine is what you pay for. if you enjoy fresh grouper, tuna, salmon and assorted white fish, etc you'll really enjoy this place. I eat enough red meat at home so I did not sample too much, and I'm also a total seafood freak. Rabbit, quail, Pork, chicken is also plentiful and prepared in many different ways. I was too busy having fun to eat lunch, but my freshly prepared omelet's and eggs with loads of fresh fruit were exceptional. We all loved it, and when compared to the restaurants, we'd take the buffet 100% of the time.

distance to dining area
it can be a long walk, there's no doubt about it. But your on holidays man, and a good walk before and after dinner is extremely good for you and stimulates the appetite. Plus, if your complaining about the walk along a moon or sun kissed resort and your blessed with decent health, you could probably afford to lose a few pounds anyways ..... laughter. (more on this later). We loved the walking and found it part of the overall experience.

Rudeness
Are these complainers kidding?? the staff work very hard, have a smile on their face 80% of the time, and always tried to make sure everything was OK. I experienced some folk (very few) making the staff hold their plate for them while they chose their foods, or treating them a little badly, and i found this to be disturbing. I am blessed with some additional assets and i can afford most "perks", but my wife and I would never, ever do anything like this. A "good morning", a "how are you", and a "thank you" go a long way in any language, and the staff treated us like kings and queens..... not that we deserved it. A 10 for the hard working people at this resort.

What i did not like
We met some people that required the services of a riding cart for and elderly parent. Apparently, they are available for rent, but not from the resort and must be third-partied from outside. Cash only paid in advance, and very expensive at $60 - $90 per day. ridiculous for such a highly rated resort. take heed if you have any special needs and fine out beforehand.

Everything is designed to really soak you if you are in need of internet, outside calls, etc. This is not good business, and even for those that can afford this without too much problem, its the feeling of getting nickle and dimed thats irritating. It does take its toll and people do remember these things.....

this place is overwhelming in its size, presentation and grandeur. were a little more "humble" than our surroundings, and my overall preference is smaller and more intimate venues. I really did like this place but ........................ this is a very minor point ..... like tomato or tomatto ...

Conclusion
This a large place, with 4 or 5 resorts combined into one large one. the palace is the creme de la creme, and given our overall thoughts, including the caveats above, its worth the extra $$$. However, if your happy with more basic foods, or you have a family with young kids, or a combination of the above with budgets, you can do extremely well in the other barcelo resorts, and still have access to the whole beach, etc.
recommended.

Rouyn Noranda, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

Do not listen to all the bad reviews. These people should stay home if they did not like this place. I am 44 and my wife is 38 and we have an 11 year old daughter. We have travelled with and without her. This resort is not the best place for singles but very good for couples and families. We have travelled to about 10 destinations and I would have to say that this place ranks # 1. The only thing I would improve are the pools. They are not heated and are cold but the ocean is very comfortable. We liked it so much that we might go back in Jan. or May. 2011.

I hope this helped?

Go and have fun!!

St. Stephen, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

We stayed from Dec 16-23, 2010. We went with a group of 6.One of the people in our group fell at the Colonial Resort on our way out to supper (reservation only sea food restuarant). After the fall we called for medical assistance and they went to see the on site physian. Although the medical staff were terrific the management left alot to be desired. When I attempted to feed my children and their grandfather (who was in a wheel chair) after the fall, I advised them that one of our party had fallen and we were not sure if or when they would be joining us. I was told that because the reservation was for 6 people they (hostess) would not seat us until I could tell her when the remaining people would be arriving. When I went looking for a manager they were no where to be found and did not return my message. I visited 3 desks before I was able to leave a message.They were always in a meeting, out for supper or unavaialble. Basically they leave you hanging until it is time to go home, leaving you no time to discuss or resolve any issues you may have during you vacation.

The resort management handled our situation terribly. They would not return calls, at no time contacted us to see how the injured person in our group was. Would not honor our reservation for supper. Took no responsibility for the poorly lit step or the resulting broken glasses. The fall resulted in facial brusing, stitches, xrays & catscan, neck brace and ambulance ride to Playa de Carmen. Much of our vacation time was wasted trying to contact management or waiting for a return call.

I would also like to add that the patient was a non drinker, and to my serprise was given a test to determine blood alcohol levels before being looked at in the hospital.

The faciity has wheelchairs that are in poor shape, rusting with bearings gone in the front wheels, we exchanged our twice in an attempt to get a usable chair.

The beds are hard.

Our wireless internet (12.00 per day) went out and no one could say when it would be back on. This is a free service at many other resorts we have stayed at and is nice to have when you need to complete business while away from home.

Restaurants (buffets) did not open at stated times, usually 15 to 20 minutes late.

I did not have a pleasurable trip, I would expect with all the negative comments about Mexico lately every resort would be trying to exceed the traveling publics expectations to gain the lost ground back. I for one will be letting my associates know what kind of trip I had and advisng them to go to alternate locations.

Newbury Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

We actually stayed at the Barcelo Palace (all inclusive package). It was a gift!! Our suite was beautiful, the food was amazing and the staff were fantastic! Being from the "Palace" we were allowed on all 5 properties...(the other resorts did not have this luxury) so we had access to every restaurant on the 5 properties and being all inclusive took advantage of that!! We stayed by the pool in the cabanas or in-pool loungers when we were not at one of the resorts beautiful private beaches. Riviera Maya is only 20 minutes from Tolum where we went to the ruins and just up the way from where we zip lined then just a few minutes more you are in Playa Del Carmen where we took the ferry over to Cozumel. We rented a scooter and spent the whole day riding all over the island! Another 20 minutes from Playa Del Carmen and you are in Cancun which was amazing too! The locals are great and very helpful. I speak enough Spanish so we did just fine, but it could be difficult once you are out of the resort or in a local area where there is not a lot of tourist. We had a wonderful and very romantic time!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

Stayed in Palace of Barcelo Maya for 5 days. The resort seemed very quite due to off season. Since thre resort is huge, we did not bother going out of the resort and my two-year old toddler enjoyed the kids pool a lot. I have few comments and ONE COMPLAINT.

* Food - Buffet and à la carte restaurants are good. We went to French, Brazilian, Caribbean, and Japanese(Tropical side) and had lobster almost every night. French and Japanese restaurants are the best. You can skip Caribbean.
* Room - Clean. Bathroom is nice.
* Beach & Cenote - Great on-site snorkelling. I saw turtles and stingrays. Medium-sized iguanas were seen around on-site cenote.

* One LOST item
We kept all valuables in a digital lock in our room. But, I left one utility folding knife(extremely cheap ebay item) in the shower area and went out of dinner. Later I found the knife was gone and the shower area was cleaned again. Oddly, this happened my last day at Barcelo. I did not report to Barcelo about the missing knife because it is cheap.
Later that night one guy from Barcelo came to our room and gave us a Barcelo-labeled Tequila as a thank-you gift. There was no explanation for this gift other than thank-you note.^^^

Because of this, I am hesitant to recommend this resort regardless of other good things.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

My spouse and children (ages 7 & 5) stayed at the Barcelo Maya Palace resort for 6 days in early November. My first impression was that the entire hotel complex (including all of the Barcelo resorts) was huge and almost like a self-contained city. The grounds are well kept and very beautiful with lots of mature foliage. Check in went smoothly and they offered each of us a welcome drink. The staff at the front desk didn't seem particularly friendly but we didn't care because we were in paradise.
The rooms were very nice, probably the nicest we have stayed in. We did have a few minor issues with the room such as a very slow draining faucet, phone not working, mini bar fridge not cold. Most of the problems were fixed and it didn't ruin our stay. I have read some reports of uncomfortable beds. I can't say this was a problem for us. They had some kind of mattress pad underneath the sheets which made the bed kind of lumpy, but it wasn't a problem. The rooms are all junior suites so they do provide some extra room. Also, the couches in the sitting area can be made into beds which was very helpful.
The location of this resort complex is perfect. It is somewhat protected from the wind and waves. The ocean at this location was great for our kids because the water was calm. There is great snorkeling right off the beach in areas of coral and by the pier. We saw barracuda, sting rays, sea turtles, and lots of beautiful tropical fish. Be sure to bring snorkel gear if this is something you are interested in. If you forget, they do have snorkeling gear you can purchase in the stores at the resort. A word of caution, be careful around the coral. I got distracted snorkeling and ended up in an area very shallow and got my legs cut up quite badly which later caused a terrible allergic reaction. Anyway, I saw this happen to another gentlemen while we were there as well. Just pay attention to where you are and stay along the wall of the coral and you will be fine.
Some of the pictures of the beach make it appear as if the beach is covered with lots of rocks and coral. Yes, there are lots of areas of coral and rocks, but there are large spaces of pure white sand beach also. In fact, the palace probably has the most rocky beach of all the resorts in the complex. The beach actually improves as you move down the chain of resorts. The Maya Beach resort (at the opposite end of the complex) has the most picture perfect beach I have ever seen. Too bad it was such a far walk or we would have spent some time at that beach.
The food was very good. We love Mexican food and there was plenty of it at the buffets. Just to compare, we ate one evening at the Colonial Beach buffet and there were definitely less offerings than the palace. The Palace main buffet had lots of cook to order options which were very good. This included steaks, seafood, pasta, chicken, etc. Honestly, the food at this resort was a very large notch above any all-inclusive we have stayed at in Mexico. We enjoyed the buffets so much that we only ate at two of the specialty restaurants. The French restaurant was good but I wouldn't say great. The decor was beautiful in the restaraunt and the atmosophere was nice. We also ate at El Agave Mexican restaurant at the Maya beach. It was very good, but again, can't say great. Shockingly, the buffets were better. Oh, and they do enforce the dress code for men. My husband had to sprint back to the resort to get a pair of pants because they would not let him in with khaki shorts. The only problem we had was very spotty service at the lunch buffet. They were often not ready to open at stated times and some of the food wasn't even out until later.
I am a non-drinker but the non-alcholic pina coladas at the swim-up bars were good and my kids loved them as well. Service was poor at the swim-up bar. The staff seemed very unhappy and not attentive at all, which is not what we are accustomed to in Mexico.
The pools are beautiful, clean, and huge. It's more like a big, winding lake at the resort.

We had one negative experience at the Barcy club at the Palace which left a bad first impression. It was nothing terrible, just a staff person who very obviously did not want to be there. Unfortunately, this was our first impression of the Barcy club and our kids weren't thrilled either. However, I'm glad we gave it another try, because all the other employees of the Barcy club at the Palace were very attentive and kind. Due to our first negative experience, we took the kids over to the Barcy club at the Colonial/Tropical. I can't say enough wonderful things about the staff over there. They were great with the kids and genuinely seemed that they wanted to be there. Towards the end of our vacation, my kids actually chose to go to the Barcy club over anything else. At the Barcy club at both the Palace and Colonial/Tropical there was a kids water park area which was great for the younger set.
Nightime entertainment was not kid appropriate and started quite late. There was some evening entertainment for kids which started earlier, but my kids didn't enjoy it. I wished that the nightime entertainment would have been more family friendly.
Overall, this was a wonderful resort. The positives far outweighed any negatives. The biggest issue was spotty service and we wondered if this had anything to do with the time of the year we were at the resort. It was the off season and perhaps they were working with a minimal number of staff. Even though we spent a lot of time at the Colonial/Tropical and loved it, we would choose the Palace again for it's larger rooms and greater food options. After all, if you stay at the Palace you have access to all the amenities at the other resorts anyway.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!