“Perfect for small child family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Louisiana
“Perfect for small child family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

First week back from the Barcelo Maya Palace and wanted to report in about my trip. I will admit I was a bit nervous leaving after reading the semi negative reviews posted on tripadvisor, however boy were they ever wrong! This place is fantastic!!!!!!

1- We arrived at Palace around 4:30-5pm, no line, walked to check in and husband went to conceriage desk to book reservations. Got the key card and room was in Oaxaca #8703, which I knew was the smoking building. I had sent in reservation request via email requesting non smoking before we left, and it went unanswered, no biggie. I asked if there was any way he could put us in the Michoacan due to my daughter's allergies. He went and got his manager and we were moved to Michoacan #8117. Room was the 1st one in the Michoacan after club premium. Granted it was 1st floor and by the elevators but for the location, I could deal with a little noise at nite.

2- Reservations - Husband was able to get a reservation for each of the palace restaurants. And then a duplicate one for the last nite we were there. All the Trop/Col restaurants were full. The next day we went and checked for the steakhouse or the Jap one and they had an opening for the Steakhouse. Conceirge lady told me that the Jap rest is always booked and since they opened Coral in the Palace they do not book for that restaurant at the trop/col. No sweat, restaurants were good and we enjoyed trying new things.

3- Buffet - Good as you have read same things, but man who could not live off of that guacamole and fresh pico. I ate that for breakfast and lunch everyday and just writting about it wish I had some now! My daughter loved the italian bar and the variety of chicken nuggets, hamburger, fresh fruit, jello, etc. Buffet was a definite hit with the 3yr old!

4- Grounds are awesome and pool was wonderful. Walked to pier and fed the fish one day which the 3 yr old loved. Take some bread from the buffet. We also went to trop/col for a day to let daughter play at waterpark, she liked the palace better. The slides there were way fast and she got a little banged around.

5- Shows - Ok but my daughter again loved them and begged to go each nite. We would do the mini disco for her and then watch about 30-45 min of show then off to bed.

6- Room - Clean, nice, pulled fridg out and turned temp up which worked like a charm. Husband called maintance about AE and they did something that made it run even when we were not there, ice cold...I even pulled out a blanket for my side of the bed:) Rain Shower is so nice after a day in the sun. Bed was a little hard, but the mattress topper was on it when we got there and after playing hard all day I could sleep on just about anything. We got more pillows in the bed and I found it made it a little more comfortable.

*Floors are slippery (I fell 3 times as well as daughter)
*Staff moves slow, but your on vacation where do you have to be in such a hurry?
*Bring water park toys for children. We gave them away on the last day to another family
*Beach is rocky bring water shoes - water is beautiful

I would recommend packing a noise maker, which we did and could easily take afternoon naps and sleep at nite, drowning out the noise by the elevator. Everything was great and we are definitely talking about going back next year. The kids waterpark is tops, however I feel the resort is more a small child family resort. Small children are easily entertained with the waterpark, activities, and do not need late nite entertainment. It was exactly what I was looking for when booking the trip. Any questions let me know!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Polish first
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

We stayed for 7 days at the Palace and had the best vacation ever. This was our fourth stay at the Barcelo properties in Cancun and we decided to spend a little more to stay at the Palace. Well worth the extra money. The staff was friendly and very attentive. We were at the pool within 45 minutes of our arrival. Andrea is great! She greeted us upon our arrival, walked us to our room which had an ocean view and was simply spectacular.

The room was excellent and included a refrigerator stocked with drinks. The beds were comfortable and included turn down service each night. The food was EXCELLENT. We went to the Caribbean and Brazilian specialty restaurants and they were great. The daily buffets (b/fast, lunch, dinner) are also very very good. I have never had so many T-bones and surloins (cooked to order) in one week. The variety of food was very good but the quality and taste was beyond our expectations.

The property is kept very clean and immaculate. There is always something to do either with the on-site activities, immense pools or excursions that are available. The activities staff at the pool were awesome. Drinks were excellent and the Bartenders were always very attentive and friendly.

The night shows were very good. The best thing is that you can enjoy your meals and entertainment in the A/C which makes the experience even better. Overall the Palace gets an A+. Even my 16 year old son (who hates to go on vacation) was still sad about going home.

I'm already looking at deals for next summer to return to the Palace.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

Overall Evaluation:
We traveled with a family of 5 with kids, 5-17 years old, and had a very good experience for 7 days. The property is beautiful and immaculate. It is very near to all the popular attractions in the area. However, a 1 hour ride from the Cancun airport. A very good destination for families. We would go back, based on our experience. But, if you read other reviews, not everyone had as good an experience as we did.

What was bad: (following others' format)
The biggest complaint I had was the service. As a 4.5-star place (and all the $ I spent), I expected good service all-around. As many others have mentioned, the service at the front desk is sub-par. Not helpful, long lines, not pleasant people. The concierge desk is not much better. Ignoring you, taking phone calls, not pleasant. The worse, however, are the punk kids tending the pool bars. Rude, can't multi-task,slow. I guess it's like any other place, though. Some people in the hospitality business "get it" and some are just "punching the clock". The drinks there are watered-down and with cheap, local booze. If you're going there to party, better stop at a liquor store before you get there or order a shot on the side of your Margarita to make it taste normal.

What was Good:
The food at the Mayan Palace was outstanding. Even the buffet was very good with so much variety that it never got old. The restaurants were good, as well. Our favorite was the French (didn't think it would be), followed by the Caribbean. The Brazilian was just OK. We found the best service in the eating establishments. The restaurant staff was great. They must keep the best people, there. The Activities staff is excellent, too. The first full day we were there it was a monsoonal downpour all day long. However, they had fun indoor activities and it didn't even seem like losing a day. The pool activities they had were a blast as well. The snorkeling off the pier was just as good or better than Xel Ha.

What was average:
The rooms were OK. Clean, plenty of room, but nothing special. The maid service was thorough and came by twice a day(never a shortage of clean towels). The pools were just OK, too. Could use a bit more chlorine. The nightly shows in the theatre were entertaining, not spectacular. But, hey. We didn't go there for the shows and what else are you going to do at night. The beaches are both fine sand and rocks. On multiple occasions I picked up pieces of broken glass (some vacation-ending size, beware).
Swimming with sea turtles was cool, though.

Recommendations:
Make your restaurant reservations as soon as you get there. If you can't get into one, don't be too disappointed. The buffet is nearly as good(aside from a change of pace).
Don't be afraid to book your own tours. We took a tour that was 1/2 day at Tulum and 1/2 day at Xel Ha. We could have used a little more time at Tulum and could have spent a whole day at Xel Ha. It is only about a 15-minute taxi ride to each ($20. You can maybe do better on the way home as there is a taxi line with100s of taxis waiting). Playa Del Mar is the typical Mexican tourist shopping (Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana, etc). Again, a 15 minute, $20 taxi ride. Actually, the prices at the hotel gift shop were the same or better, but something else to see and do. If you go over to play put-put golf, lather up with the bug spray. Mosquito alley! I'm not sure what the difference in price is between the Palace and the adjoining properties, but the only real difference I saw was the opulent architecture of the Palace lobby and buildings. If that's not important to you, it may be worth checking into. Lastly, although the marble floors (or whatever stone) is very beautiful, it is extremely slippery when wet(even the floor in your room after a mopping). Be careful.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

This Hotel is wonderful! We stayed at the Palace July 17 - 24 with our four children ages 23, 21, 19, and 17. We had two adjoining rooms which we requested ahead of time with the hotel directly as suggested by other posters and our request was granted. The person checking us in was very nice greeting us with a smile and handling check in courteously and professionally. We were in fact also greeted with a welcome drink. We arrived at 2:30 and our rooms were ready by 3. The rooms are very large, one room had a king size and the other room had two double beds both rooms had two very large sofas which one of our sons ended up sleeping on. The rooms were cleaned perfectly every day and any request such as more towels or more beer for the mini fridge iin the room were taken care of.
The food was very good and plentiful, particularly at the buffets. We ate at four of the ala carte restaurants Brazillian, Caribean, French, and the Japanese at the grill (Palace). There is another hibachi type japanese at the colonial which is the preferred Japanese. Breakfast buffet was very good and the grilled to order omlets were fantastic. The Lunch buffets were also very good with choices such as ribeye, t-bone, or new york strip steaks grilled to order or fresh fajitas grilled while you wait or grilled salmon, shrimp, or grouper along with to many salads to list.
As a guest of the Palace, all top shelf liquor is included throughout the resort including other hotels. There are 5 different Barcelo hotels connected at this property. If you are staying at one of the other hotels there is an extra charge for call drinks (absolute, tanqueray, johnny walker black etc)
There are activities throughout the day from snorkeling (bring your own gear) beach volleyball, water polo, pitch and putt golf, fitness centers etc. The main pool is huge as seen in the pictures and there is an adult pool that was much quieter with its own bar and towel service. It could be a welcome oasis during the week. The beach is beautiful with plenty of palm trees and chairs. We never had a problem finding chairs either at the pool or on the beach and this was at 10:00 or so after breakfast which was nice since none of us is into getting up at 6 to try and "reserve" chairs.
We enjoyed getting dressed for dinner after a long day in the sun, men have to wear long pants and closed toe shoes in the ala carte restaurants only. Anything goes in the buffett.
We did tip a couple of dollars here and there and our servers and bartenders were greatful but never made us feel that it was necessary.
After reading some of the negative reviews we were sceptical but take it from us if you want to find something wrong you probably can but our experience was all positive. Hope this review helps and hope you have as good a time as us.

Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I used trip Advisor so much to get ready for our trip that I just had to repay the favor by writing a review. I’m not really quite sure how people can leave such awful reviews, because every where I turned at the resort all the bad things were busted. You’re on vacation and I have no idea how you can’t have a great time at this resort. We did only stay for 5 days which was actually too short if you want to go off the resort and do other excusions. Which we did. If I could do anything different I would definitely have to stay at least 7 days so I could lay on the beach and hang out at the resort for more than an hour a day. This is how our trip went. I hope this helps some of you!

We got off the plane at the aiport in Cancun and after getting our luggage and going through customs walked straight out the door. That’s where most of the van drivers are waiting for you. Do not talk to all the crazy guys shouting at you IN the terminal. They want to sell you time-shares and excusions and all that. So after we found our appropriate line our driver drove down the 307 about an hour and 5 minutes to the Barcelo Maya. He made a few stops at the other resorts for other people in the van and also at the 7/11 for Cervaza’s. He asked and we were like heck yes! Finally arrived at Barcelo Maya Resort and was greeted at the front by a guy who took our luggage and told us to check in with the front desk. Our luggage was always in sight and the people at the front desk were very nice! They might have been hot and tourists and travelers tend to have a lot of questions. The guy asked if we wanted to upgrade to premium which we didn’t. Premium just included free internet (which we ordered for a day for $12 and it didn’t work anyways. don’t do it.) also included premium drinks and access to the Tropical/Colonial restuarants. Just more choices pretty much. We were escorted to our room which was just Run of House.

ROOM: We kept one of our towel cards in the slot all the time to keep the air on. Other reviews are right..the fridge does not get that cool. But it only has Modelo Cervaza’s in it and Sprite, Fanta, and Water..also some really strange but good nuts. And Corona’s are only a walk away to the Pool Bar or Lobby Bar. We stayed in Sayil (Our Building) by the way. Walk out one direction of it toward the beach and the pool is right there and only a few more steps away ...the beach. Which is definitely beautiful. Soft, white, warm. Plenty of places to sit and lots of shade from the Palms. Small waves and not really any seaweed. It was a little difficult to get drinks at the pool bar every so often. Have to definitely look like you want something. Also seriously...bring lots of $1 bills. I ran out on the second day and the front desk only had change in $5. Tip your bartenders. It’s appreciated. Oh also! We forgot our little insulated cups..but if you take a drink away from the bars they serve them in these little paper cups. If you want a drink on the beach or just to walk around with....bring a big cup type thing. And ALSO..the music can be a little loud by the pools to the right (If you are looking toward the ocean), but by Captain Morgan and the Maya Beach Pool...i could hear a hint of music. So if you want more of a party atmosphere...go right towards Caribe.

Our second day it was raining in the morning. We slept in a little. I don’t even want to mention what happens when you have too many free drinks. Well, most of you might already know. Just remember where you are and don’t wander off. We got lost our first night and found a worker driving by in a golf cart and got a ride back to our building at 4 in the morning. Not too fun. We did get to tour the whole resort though...which is big. So anyways, we slept in a bit. There are some channels in English on the flatscreens. Room Service is extra. The bathrooms are big..spacious...nice. Beds were firm, but comfy. I couldn’t sleep hardly any of the nights anyways, I was too excited for the next day. Second day after it stopped raining we took a Collectivo to Playa del Carmen. Just walk out of the resort to the highway and there’s a little path to it. Stand there and a van will drive by...flash his lights and stop to pick you up. Don’t get ripped off. The first one we took we had no idea how much it was and we watched other people pay. We gave him 100 pesos for the two of us and got off. It should only be 20 pesos each. And that’s what we paid the rest of our trip from the resort to Playa Del Carmen.

They’ll drop you off about two blocks away. Just walk the opposite way the van is facing and you’ll run into the little shopping strip. Then go right to 5th street. Drop off from the Van is on 2nd. It’s right across the street from the park. My boyfriend wore a straw hat and though he tries...will just never be a tan person. He got called cowboy numerous times from the shopkeepers trying to get us to go into their store. you can bargain with them so do try. A lot of people have similar stuff. We also took the Ferry to Cozumel on the third day. Just go down to the beach in Playa and go right and yah..there’s a pier with a big Ferry boat. It leaves almost every hour and then in the afternoon it’s every two hours I think. Last one leaves at 7 so make sure you get on it if you are coming back from Cozumel. If you want to snorkel...I so highly recommend Fury Catamaran. Go to www.cometocozumel.com. The website is wonderful and Vincente who booked it was great working with us when my card wouldn’t work because my bank. My boyfriend’s worked perfectly. Also if you do this..when it says to meet them on the pier..it’s like back by where you get off before all the people selling excusions start. Just ask and say Fury Catamaran and there’s a guy in a blue shirt with that one it. He signed us in and we went on that tour. Look it up, it’s great. The crew is awesome, and yah. We liked it.

Also the fourth day we wanted to see some Ruins and Cenotes. We only had time to go see the Ruins. We chose Coba because it’s one of the only Ruins that you can climb to the top. The pyramid is the tallest in the Yucatan Penninsula. We rented bicycles for 30 pesos each which my boyfriend was not looking forward too. But it feels so great because it was really hot and the breeze was refreshing. You can tour the ruins yourself and go along the paths wherever you please. We climbed the pyramid and saw a lot of awesome things..history preserved. These ruins are fairly new and still being uncovered. We took a Collectivo there but none came on the way back because not many people go that way so buy a bus ticket for 70 pesos or take a taxi and bargain him down to 300 pesos. It was 350.

So..those were our excusions. Playa Del Carmen was great. Cozumel was neat except for the people trying to sell you everything under the sun and trying to get you to rent motorbikes. Coba was awesome. And the snorkeling thing was great.

Back to the resort. We tried snorkeling on the beach but all we saw was sand. Perhaps we weren’t in the right spot. They ran our of towels in the afternoon so if you really want one go early. We just air dried anyways on the way back to the room. Not a big deal.

Wear Pants to the sit down restaurant. The Spanish Don Quixote was ok. The Mexican Agave restuarant was great. The family in front of us waiting to get in was handed slacks for her husband who wore shorts. May be hard to get ahold of though.

Also I think those bracelets are pretty hard to lose or get off unless you are pulling at it.

Drinks: Do ask for double. They don’t seem very strong. Wine in restuarants is dry..but I like that kind. Go for the white wine if you don't like red.

Everyone was super nice and the bartenders and servers were great. The buffet food was tasty and there is quite a variety. Everything comes in bottled water and pretty sure the ice is also made from bottled water. They also served lattes and espresso coffee which I loved so that was a plus. All in all, it was a wonderful trip and I don’t think I have one bad thing to say about it. Also we were still in the room when the guy came by the room to fill our fridge and he gave us extra Cervazas. Very nice. Put your valuables in the safe. Nothin went missing, but better safe. No one wants to blame the maid. Ok, happy travels. Hope this helps!!!! Have fun in Mexico!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

My wife, 9 year old son and I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach 15-21 July which put us there at the same time as some travelers that left scathing reviews. I can categorically state that this was the cleanest, best-appointed and staffed facilities that we have ever experienced during numerous trips to the Yucatan and other parts of Mexico, not to mention the outstanding landscaping and landscape maintenence. The staff always took the extra step to ensure our satisfaction and if we hadn't been under time constraint, we would have extended our stay for a couple more days.
When we travel, we don't expect Michelin 3 star cuisine unless we pay for it, and we certainly don't concern ourselves about real or imagined watered down drinks. If this is a major concern of yours when traveling, then perhaps you need to check into AA instead.
I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I'm sorry some parties found so many faults. But we truly had an enjoyable stay at the Maya Beach and would not hesitate to return.

Flo Mo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach in the Tulum bldg and boy was it terrible! We had sewage issues, leaking sink, NO HAND TOWELS ARE AVAILABLE, our ceiling leaked!! After 4 days, I was finally able to get someone to fix the sewage issue. The phone did not work in our room and when they gave us a replacement phone, anyone that called in to our room-- it did not ring. You have to wear a braclet and if you loose it or take it off before you leave it is $316.00 usd. You get one towel card per person for pool towels. You have to give them back every day. And if you loose it..it's $20.00 usd. For a seven night eight days you only get 3 dinners with a/c. The Spanish resturant is no good, the Agave is alright and the steak house is good. All the buffet food is the same everyday. Service in the buffets is slooow and the buffet in the lobby area is EXTREMLEY HOT!
I think they keep it that way so you don't stay long. The workers are friendly enough. The entertainment was alright but not is air conditioned. The drinks are weak. You have to ask for doubles to get one decent mixed drink. The disco was the coolest (temp wise) place around. The train to the adjoining resorts is very slow and we just ended up walking every where. We were not impressed at all and will not return to this resort. The beach is beautiful a bit rocky in some areas but overall beautiful waters. St. Thomas Windeme Sugar Bay is much better resort! I wish I could get our money back!! PS..massages here at the resort are over $100usd and a pedicure is $88 usd.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!