“Beautiful resort, excellent staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% discount
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Beautiful resort, excellent staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Barceló Maya/Caribe Beach staff are extremely hard working, attentive, and always make us feel special! (Particularly Denisse, Leo, Ives, Francisco, Beatrice and Sergio to name a few.) We have been to this same resort for 8 years and return annually because of them!
The grounds and the beach are the best in the area. Definitely a family friendly, beautiful resort where there is plenty to do, or you can choose to just relax. The only negative I have is about the dolphin pool as I disagree with the Barceló adding this to the resort!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Polish first
Napa, California
2 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I traveled with a total of seven people which consisted of 3 children and three adults. Not a good experience as we first arrived and began checking in. The gal that assisted us was not friendly at all. Our family and I traveled from San Francisco with an overlay in Houston and as you can imagine this was very tiring. It would've been nice to have been greeted with a nice welcome and a smiling face but instead we were asked for passports and credit card. I asked why they needed our passports and the gal stated that it was to confirm the names on the reservation. Fine I get that but at least explain the purposes of that people can understand and not wonder what you might do with our US passports. The person assisting us completed checking us in and told us which direction to go to. I felt rushed and I had no clue about the restaurants, activities, Internet information, etc. because I was not feeling satisfied with her por service I mentioned to her that we had traveled for over 10 hours and it would've been nice to have greeted us with a nice welcome along with a good explanation about the resorts options. She put on a fake smile and asked me if I had any other questions. There was no way that I wanted to continue to speak to her so we went straight to the concierge or perhaps it was the customer satisfaction room. At this room you have a person that can give you more information including the sale of WiFi. It turned out that I had to pay for it and it was good for only one electronic device at a time. You had to log off of one device to then be able to use another electronic device. Bad set up and not good customer service experience having to pay for wifi.
We also booked our max of 4 sit down dinners since we were staying for 7 full nights. Not all the restaurants can be booked because you are limited to a certain number of sitdown dinners depending on the amount of days that you are staying at the resort.
The service at all restaurants was not the best. The workers have too many guests to serve which takes away from their ability to spend time with all guest. I felt rushed whenever we were eating and I didn't feel that the workers had time to stop to converse.
This resort is made up of a total of five or six hotels with way too many people to care for and you can only imagine the lack of great service because of the number of guest.
the resort has a lot to offer and it certainly offers entertainment for the entire family however almost all of it will cost you additional cash and let me assure you that it isn't cheap at all. Prices are double of those from the US. I am not sure why they call it all inclusive when in reality it isn't.
I have to also mention their beds and sheets. The hotel needs to get rid of the sheets because they are 50 percent acrylic which makes them so uncomfortable and make you perspire. My family and I had to sleep on top of the comforter in order to get some sleep. Also, the beds are not very comfortable so be aware of this.
I feel bad writing a bad review but I hope that this will help families understand what they will be booking before they make it official.
FYI. I have stayed at a minimum of 15 different resorts in Cancun and for the same price I recommend staying at a different resort.
Happy travels

Room Tip: Be aware of acrylic sheets and uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Corrales, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We originally booked at the colonial. However upon arriving they said no you are at the beach, I tried to argue with front desk but to no avail. I am actually still a little angry about this because barcelo is telling me it isn't their fault they moved me. I would rather have made that decision myself and I paid more for the colonial. I saw reviews of others who this has happened to. Good luck trying to get your way, I can be pretty feisty when someone tries to screw me over and they kept telling me there were no rooms left at the colonial and I said I booked my trip months ago and they said no rooms! there is construction going on! and I fought back and said then why did you let me book a few months back? They kept telling me that it was Traveolocity's fault for booking us at the Colonial. The next day I saw many people checking into the Colonial with NO problems. We didn't get an I'm sorry, or an explanation. Barcelo Beach rooms were nice and cold, the beds are not comfortable, a little tip-mini fridge won't work unless you leave a little tip for your housekeepers (or at least our didn't). My husband was annoyed by this. We arrive at 4pm and the fridge was warm. The next morning we leave a little tip for housekeepers and we arrive back in room about 3pm and the fridge was miraculously cold. Remember-you are in a very warm, humid place so everything will have a smell of must but we stayed on third floor and the musty smell wasn't bad at all. The pools were nice, the buffet at the beach resort was the best one out of all 4 resorts. The pool bar at the colonial was the best one of the 4 resorts. The beach at the barcelo beach was the calmest and clearest out of the caribe, colonial, and tropical. Beach chairs were not hard to find, but having to turn in your towels and find the damn towel area was a pain. The food during the day for lunch and snacks got a little old. The grounds are beautiful and you can tell they really work hard at this. Our room was clean and nice. Again, the buffet at the barcelo beach was the best one out of the 4 resorts (apparently we didn't have access to the barcelo palace deluxe but the people staying at the deluxe had access to our resort). I HIGHLY suggest reserving at a restaurant while you are there. We ate at the new Tokyo at the caribe resort, it was amazing! The boogie boards were not free, apparently you had to purchase these-my husband went to get a couple and was told that. It was a real bummer because who wants to do that when you are at all all inclusive resort? The pirate island was also not free which I think was pretty ridiculous. it's an ALL INCLUSIVE. The dolphinarium needs to go away. Those dolphins are in an EXTREMELY TINY pool and deserve to be in the ocean. It was very disturbing to see how small of a pool they were in and the worst part was that they were so close to the beach. The waves are right there and there were several dolphins within hearing range of this. Ugh. Seriously heartbreaking to see people paying money to take pictures with these creatures who are not well at all. Wifi did work good (you have to pay for it) I do think they should offer this for free since many of the other resorts along the coast do. We never used the resort "credits" given to us since they were all for the spa and more expensive things and the credits were really just discount coupons. I am giving a truthful review here. It was our first time down on the riviera and we were so excited. It was a real bummer to have the trouble we did at check in and we tried not to let it get us down. All in all our visit was very nice. Also, be aware that if you don't know the peso to dollar difference you will get screwed over by merchants. It happens, thank god we know spanish!

Room Tip: request 3rd floor rooms. You won't hear all the late nighter's as much and the musty smell i...
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

I went on a trip with a large family group. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, spouse, etc. we ranged in age from 80-1 and I think we all had a great time. The grounds are beautiful and the staff was pleasant. The food was pretty good at the restaurants but I felt the food in the buffet was mediocre.
The rooms were clean and nice but need updating. The rooms leads me to the only issue we had. Our air conditioner did not work in the first room we had. They tried to fix it multiple times but no success. We asked to be switched rooms and they did switch us. During the middle of the night other guests walked into our room scaring both them and us! The front desk did not properly record that they had switched our room and checked them into that room. We weren't too angry but it could have been more of a mighmare than what happened. About 20 minutes after this happened the front desk called our room questioning who we were and why we were in that room.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Emily W:

Many thanks for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions about your stay.

We are glad that you have liked our a la carte Restaurants but on the other hand we will be pleased to take into consideration your comments about our buffet as a means of improvement, since guest feedback is very important to us, as our main goal is to serve our guests at our best to create very special and unforgettable experiences.

Please let me apologize for the incidents about your Air conditioner and your room, it is my goal to solve this problem and preventing it from happening again.

We look forward to have the opportunity to serve you with the level of service from which we have built our reputation, guranteeing we can meet your expectations.

Best regards,
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

First, i have to say that i don't like this kind of massive all inclusive hotels, so i won't be comment about the food -quantity over quality- or the level of service -constantly crowded guest service office-. I booked this hotel because i had a wedding nearby and the other options had no availability. If you're looking this Barcelo keep in mind that at the end they will change you to any of the other 3 Barcelos at this complex if there is no availability at the time you arrive, i was supossed to stay at the Colonial but ended here, which i can't say it was better or worst than the other one. I give just 2 stars to this Barcelo because of the room, with furniture that is showing its age, and what i consider its biggest problem, THE BATHROOM. Someone is not doing his/her job at the housekeeping department, the toilet area is the worst i've ever seen at any hotel, looks more like a gas station toilet than a 4-stars hotel, and the shower wasn't really well cleaned (see pictures).

I would also like to mention that i consider people in Mexico and at the hotel really nice, lots of smiles and usually good attitude.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear DCoro:

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the comments you kindly share with the Tripadvisor users.

We also are sorry they felt the room was not clean, but I would like to let you know that we have a strict cleaning schedule for all our areas, since our goal is to maintain very high standards of hygiene that are audited by an international consultancy company Check Safety First. However, I understand that we are subject to individual performance and we will be glad to reinforce this subject with our housekeeping staff in order to improve our services.

However we are glad that you have found our staff very smiling and friendly, and we will be happy to share your kind comments onto them.

Inspite that you rather stay at smaller resorts, we would be very please to welcome you once more, with the guarantee that we can fulfil your expectations.

Best Regards.
Belize City, Belize
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Just got back from a weekend staying at Barcelo Maya Beach. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. Really nice gardens and the public areas are very pleasant.

I ate at the buffet every meal. Large variety of foods to choose from. My only complaint was the fish. I didnt have one nice piece of fish while I was there. The prime rib was delicious.

The rooms did not meet my expectations. There was no toilet paper in the room, nor was there a toilet paper holder. The front desk was very quick about getting me some TP. The mini fridge did not work. Nor did the one they replaced it with. I gave up and used buckets of ice to keep my drinks cold. I didnt like the pillows. They were hard. I would have given this resort 4 or 5 stars if the room was better. The room had a private balcony that was very nice.

No free WiFi!!

The beach was nice. There are some rocky areas tho. I wish the resort would make a clothing optional area at the far end of the beach. There are no rooms there and it is somewhat isolated. It would make a great clothing optional area. If you want some privacy at the beach The far south end is where you will find it.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Cisco A:

Many thanks for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions about your stay with us.

We really appreciate your have noticed that we try to have common areas well kept as possible, in order to create a very inviting landscape for our guests, and we will be very glad to share your kind comments onto our staff that makes a great effort to maintain everything as clean and pristine as possible.

We are happy that fresh drinks and delicious food have been to your liking,however we will address your commment about fish in order to improve our services.

Please let me apologize for the unintentional incidents at your room, but i will make sure to take appropiate action to solve the problems and prevent from happening again, since at Barceló Maya Beach the comfort of our guests is of utmost importance to us.

We hope you can give us a chance to serve you once again, with the level of service from which we have built our reputation.

Best Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We will never forget our stay in Barcelo Maya Beach! We had a very great time and it was totally worth it! The staffs were very friendly. Some of them are shy, because not all of them are confident with their English. We loved the Buffet that we didn't even try the other restaurants. The waiters were awesome! They have a great service! We will never forget our amigos, Seyler, Candelario and Andres. We highly recommend Barcelo! They always make sure everyone gets a very relaxing, fun and comfortable stay. We will definitely come back!

Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear April A:

We are glad we have accomplished your expectations and enjoyed your vacation with us, and we appreciate you have found our staff to be hard working and friendly, especially at our buffet, who make a great job trying to fulfill our guests expectations, as our main goal is create unforgettable experiences.

We will be pleased to serve you again in the future.

Best Regards

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!