“Can't stop thinking about it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
manitoba
“Can't stop thinking about it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

My spouse and I and our one child (age7) stayed at Barcelo Maya Palace between March 24th and April 7th. This was the first time we have stayed at an all inclusive and the first time to Mexico. We booked through Signature Vacations and from the moment we set foot in the airport we knew we had made the right choice. We had upgraded to "star class" which meant no lineups and pre-boarding. The service on the plane was awesome including free drinks and meal. Well worth the extra money! Arriving in Cancun, the Customs line was a little long but we knew to expect that so no big deal. We found our Signature rep right away and we were whisked away to the Palace and were there within an hour even after 2 stops at other hotels to drop off a few passengers. The Palace is aptly named. The view as you walk in the lobby is breathtaking! Check-in was flawless and we were told we had a nice room overlooking the pool. Champagne and an alcohol free drink arrived for our child and our bags were taken to be delivered to our room. We stayed in the Oxacaca building on the 2nd floor and the room was perfect. The walk to the pool was a non-issue. Gorgeous marble and tile and a beautiful bathroom. The king bed was very comfortable and had a pillow top mattress on it. We learned this is not the case at the other Barcelo properties and heard the beds were quite hard.
This was a very family friendly hotel. The pool was gigantic and never felt crowded and the kids water park was amazing. Our child simply LOVED the Barcy Kids Club and she spent most of her days there. The staff were so warm and caring and genuinely took an interest in all the children. We felt very comfortable leaving her there for the day while we went shopping in Playa del Carmen. Some parents asked us if we thought it would be "safe" to leave their children. Of course! Way safer place to leave your child then in most American and some Canadian cities! My child loved the mini disco and they even practiced for two days for a show in which they performed at the lavish theatre. On our last day my child cried when she had to say goodbye to her favourite Barcy Club counsellor Karyna!
The food was good. Although I would have to agree with some reviews it was not always as hot as it could be in the buffets. But I figure most of the time it got cold on my plate because I was spending so much time walking around looking at what else there was! The mexican food at the buffet was the best and was made fresh. They even had a little buffet for kids with kid friendly food. The only drawback I would say is that for those suffering from fish and/or shellfish allergies it was a nightmare. The ingredients were not marked and at the fresh pasta making bar you really had to watch to make sure the same frying pan which cooked shellfish for the person just before you was not used. My spouse is deathly allergic to fish so he had a tough time and ended up eating steak everynight from steakbar. But we had expected this problem. The a la carte restaurants were very accomodating though and we always told them of the fish allergic and my child's peanut allergy and the staff seemed knowledgeable enough in English to ensure that we did not order anything with these two allergens. We especially liked the Brazilian restaurant at the Palace and the Santa Fe steakhouse at the Barcelo Tropical. It was my spouse's birthday and the Steakhouse staff sang him happy birthday and he got a special dessert! We were disappointed with the Mexican Mariachi restaurant. The food was medicore and we had been told that a Mariachi band would be circulating. Of course, the night we went the band was mysteriously occupied at another venue such as a wedding!
I would have to agree with other reviews about the issue of reserving pool chairs. There are signs everywhere that it is not allowed but it is not enforced. It was quite annoying. My spouse ended up going out at 6:30/7:00 every morning to reserve during our last week once we got our routine down! I don't mind if someone reserves and then uses is for the day but people if you are not going to show up at the pool until afternoon or not at all please DO NOT spoil it for everyone else! There was no problem getting chairs at the beautiful beach. It was very windy the weeks we were there so we did not get to take advantage of the water activities or go snorkeling. But no big deal as we are not avid sports enthusiasts.
The lobby bar was the best. Nicely air-conditioned and the staff were very friendly and funny. Top shelf liquor was all that was available and no paying extra for "brand names" like at the other Barcelo properites. Kids were allowed in and they always made sure our child had her own special "cocktail". Thank you Julio! There was always fresh popcorn there as well!
Like other reviewers I would have to concur that the spring breakers were rather annoying. It was not Cancun "wild" but there was just enough loud, drunk teenagers later in the afternoon to make going to the pool bar a non-event (they weren't up in the morning). Not sure why American teenagers have to chant their school sports team songs over and over and do body shots. They seemed to be hardly chaperoned and when there were parents it appeared the parents were just as bad. We asked lobby bar staff about this and they like us were very frustrated by the teenagers. They did a good job though as soon as a group of "rowdies" came in they quickly called security and got them out. We noticed that there were more spring breakers at the other Barcelo's especially the 4 star ones. We figure that most of the teenagers had come over from the other resorts. We seemed to be in a good building and we were not bothered by any loud partiers as some other reviewers seem to have been. We were unaware of the "guarantee of no spring breakers at the resort" if there was such a thing then check-in staff need to confirm ID before they give out the over 18 bracelet!
Our rooms were always made up everyday and we tipped a couple of US dollars a day. Seemed like as soon as we left our room , housekeeping was in. EVeryday we would come in and there would be a different animal made out of towels on the bed and our bed was always turned down with chocolates for an added touch. There is a safe in the room (no charge) and we made sure that most of our valuables were in it and we had no theft problems. Some people have noted a "sewer" like smell in the rooms. I would like to clear this up after speaking to a friend who has relatives who own a resort in Mexico. The smell in all liklihood is sulphur which is in a Mexican cleaning product that is used to wash the tile floors. This is consistent with a smell we were getting in our room. We noticed it in our room right after housekeeping had mopped our floors! Case solved! Another point, if you have children and need a roll-a-way bed (at extra cost) forget it. There are two sofas in the suite and both turn into "daybeds" and are made up with sheets and blankets. My child was more than comfortable. There are supposed to be roll-a-ways but none were available while we were there but it would have taken up room in the suite anyways!
Overall, we would highly recommend this resort. Although the staff know little english that is to be expected! If they came to hotels in Canada staff would not know Spanish! We found the staff friendly and accomodating. The food was great, grounds and views are beautiful, drinks awesome (although like everyone says you have to drink quite a few to get a buzz). No problems with bugs, mosquitos or other wildlife (just the few spring breakers :) ) After staying at the Palace we would not want to stay at any of the other 4 Barcelos connected, they simply do not compare!! We look forward to returning there. It genuinely felt like home for 2 weeks!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Polish first
ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

I returned on April 15th from a week at the Palace with my sister and her 4 and 6 year old daughters. We started off at the Barcelo Maya Beach but after two nights were upgraded to the palace.

The pros:
The grounds: The place is simply gorgeous, with white beaches and blue water. The hotel makes the effort to place comfortable chairs and sofas in nooks and crannies throughout so that you can sit back and enjoy the view.
Cleanliness: the place is impeccable. The pools, grounds, beach etc are constantly being washed.
Room: spacious, the beds were comfortable but firm as seems to be the preference in Mexico. Bring your own pillow if you like soft pillows. The air conditioning worked well and was programmable. The shower had good pressure, bath tub was extra large and the separate 'rainwater' shower head was appreciated.
Adult pool: lovely - with covered, king size 'beds' to lounge on, jets in the pool, bar and towel service on hand.
The children's area: amazing, with a variety of slides and things for kids to climb on and across, and plenty of pool-side chairs for lounging while watching the kids.
General pool area: this was a massive pool with a swim-up bar. Perfect temperature in the hot weather, with plenty of 'underwater' beds and poolside loungers.
Food: overall, the variety is very good and fresh. Note that you can order a cappuccino from any of the restaurants, not just drip coffee. The a la carte restaurants were fine, no spectacular. We ate the French restaurant, which I recommend, and at the seafood restaurant in the Colonade resort, which I don't.

Noise:The place is not very noisy as there is not outdoor theatre in this resort (they are located in the other 4 hotels that make up this resort). So, as long as you are very clear about your wishes --if you are looking for quite-- then you can be accommodated. You must specify away from the outdoor bars and not facing the pool areas.

Gym: there's a clean and efficient little gym with 3 treadmills, four stairmasters, 2 upright bikes, and a variety of free weights and weight machines.

The wildlife: very easy to spot iguanas and other wildlife, including beautiful pelicans!

Cons:
Wind: This could have been a seasonal thing but the wind, while warm, was blowing like mad the whole time we were there.

General Service: the maids, grounds-people (cleaning the beaches at night, etc.) and the bartenders/waiters were all great. The reception staff are okay: if you have a problem, they do not go much out of their way to help you.

Porter service: once you arrive, getting your luggage to your room can take up to an hour or longer. It would be a good idea to do it yourself or to pack what you need in a day bag that you carry to the room so that you can hit the beach while your luggage is being delivered! Just let them know to leave it insider your room.

After hours food/drink: the outdoor bars by the pool shut down early (8 ish) which means if you'd like a drink you must go to the main hotel building bar, and you can not take any food out of any buffet area (hence, for example, you can't grab lunch food and go eat by the pool) as the hotel is taking careful measure to ensure pests are not attracted by food left outside, nor that local wildlife eats human food. It's a great program but I must admit I regularly had the munchies by the pool and ocean side!

Other lazy humans: please pickup your garbage and dispose of it, and don't just throw your left over water bottles and empty glasses on the beach. It's just discourteous behaviour overall.

Miscellaneous thoughts:
It was clear that many individuals felt 'all inclusive' meant including tips. Technically I guess it does. It only takes one or two conversations with the woman cleaning the bathroom or the guy straightening the chairs on the beach at 10 pm to realize these people are getting paid a pittance. If you can, please go out of your way to tip those who don't get tips otherwise (not just the room maids, bartenders and waiters).

Environmental stewardship: This resort group does make an effort. It baffles me, however, that they aren't taking advantage of the sun and using solar power to meet some (or likely all!) of their energy needs. I wrote them an encouraging suggestion to that end, and hope others will do the same and add their green suggestions.

Travel card: when you arrive in Mexico you are given a tourism travel card that you must present when you leave the country. Note that you will have to pay $40US at the border when leaving if you can not produce this card!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Krefeld, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

I spent two weeks with my family (incl. 2 kids, 9 years old) at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort. We had our room in the Caribe section. My comments are as follows:

This is a nice hotel, clean and well maintained. All in all (with the usual exceptions) staff are making an effort to serve you well. Rooms and layout are not spectacular but “do the job”. The layout at the Colonial and Palace resorts seems somewhat nicer but they are probably a bit more expensive. The beach is nice (and in our view nicer than at the sister resorts), however, due to reasons mentioned below only of limited use. We liked everything except for the following – major - points:

Buffet restaurant: Food and service were ok / good, but the restaurant is so noisy that it is not really fun to stay around for more than 30 minutes. Besides the constant noise coming from the rather loud music speakers in the evening you even have to bear the noise coming from the adjacent theatre. Thus, the whole atmosphere is worse than in a McDonalds restaurant. The a la carte restaurants are of course much nicer with a good quality and service offering, however, I had to learn that bookings could not be postponed when I was sick for a day which I found rather surprising.

Pools: This resort and its sister resorts have lot of nice and well maintained pools, however, between 1000 and 1800 you cannot really use them if you (a) want to read a book or (b) listen to your own music even via headphones at max volume. The reason is that the “activities” people tend to play the music for their activities so loudly and yell in four different languages “bingo” commands and similar stuff in their mikes that we tended to avoid these pools altogether. I complained to management about this and the only recommendation they had was to go to the very far end of the beach where the noise level is at least so low that you could listen to your own music. In my view it is a shame that such a nice and huge resort does not have an area for people who do not constantly entertain techno and hip hop music (I do by the way) or need their daily “bingo” gaming and other activities in four different languages. The worst was that I learned that basically they rented (or whatever) one of the pools to an Italian tour operator who puts the volume of their “music” at a volume that crosses the whole beach and even reaches into the reception area – and hotel management could not / would not do anything about it because is is a very “special customer” for them. More often than not you have to bear music from two pools. All in all I assume that management think their guests are all near deaf.

This hotel may be great for 24/7 party animals. It is not recommended for

- people looking for relaxation
- people who do not accept that only a fraction of the hotel’s key premises may be useful to them

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Marysville, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

Went to Barcelo Maya Beach in summer 2007 and we're looking to go back again. Service was great, people were friendly, drinks were ok (all you can drink :) ), food was good. Nice snorkeling out at the dock, and a beautiful beach. Plenty to keep you busy, or plenty not to do if that's the route you wanna take. Anyhow like I said we were there had a blast and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We traveled to this resort over Spring Break with 2 high school girls - ages 14 & 16, so I'll provide a review from that perspective.

The reason you go to this resort is the beach. It is fantastic. It is long and wide and there are many, many beach chairs available, so we never had to worry about finding a place to sit on the beach. The water was crystal clear and you could walk out into the ocean a long ways as it just got gradually deeper.

I thought this was a great resort with teens. It is a gated resort community, so it felt very safe. While there were some spring breakers there who liked to hang out at the pool bar in the late afternoon, it was never out of control - just normal Spring break fun.

There was a lot to do at the resort. We only left the resort once and were very satisfied. You can snorkel everyday. They also have kayaks, water tricycles & sailboats. There was water aerobics, scuba lessons in the pool, pool & beach volleyball, mini golf. For an extra fee you could go parasailing, do ceramic painting or rent jet skis. The resort is huge, so one rainy day we rode the trolley to the other end and then walked back and checked out all of the resorts & pools. We also used this opportunity to stop and shop at the shopping plaza on the resort as we bought all our souveniers at the resort. I think the beaches are the nicest at the Beach/Caribe end whereas the pool/hotel amenities look fancier as you go towards the Palace end. I don't think I'd want to trade the beach at the Beach/caribe end for the nicer lobby, etc. at the Palace, but I would probably try the Tropical/Colonial on a return trip. However, I did really like the open air feel of the Beach/Caribe.

I thought the food was very good at this resort. The breakfasts are awesome. For lunch, we were usually still full from breakfast, but we ate plenty of the fantastic fresh pico de gallo and guacamole for afternoon snacks each day. There was such a large selection at the buffets in the evening that I never went hungry or felt like I was eating the same things every day.

Since the resort was so full, it was difficult getting reservations at the reservation restaurants. We were only able to get into the Mexican restaurant. The service was good, but I thought the food at the buffet was just as good.

The bar service was pretty slow, so we didn't use the bartender service very often, but usually just did self serve of the Corona. Make sure you take a large insulated cup. I would even take them for the kids for their virgin frozen drinks. There was a sports bar (which was really a game room with a bar). Kids weren't allowed in this bar, but it was a place to go where it was easy to get bar service.

The rooms weren't fancy, but they were certainly adequate. The only thing I didn't like about the rooms is there wasn't an exhaust fan in the bathroom, so made the room kind of humid when everyone was trying to get ready for dinner.

We did try the evening shows a couple of times and it wasn't really our cup of tea, but the theater is nice and a lot of people seemed to be enjoying the shows.

Staff was extremely friendly. The language barrier was a little greater then when we've stayed in Cancun, but they always had a friendly smile and tried to honor our requests.

The only offsite excursion we did was Tuluum Extreme and that was a great outing.

I would definately recommend this resort to families with teens. We had a great time.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

This was our first time staying at an all inclusive and decided to to try out the best they had , at first we where overwhelmed with the beauty then champgne while we checked in and served little pastries, the room was absolutley gorgeous and the bell hop said the grill was open and then the dinner buffet would start at 7. We where concerned about food as had heard horror stories from others who have stayed at all inclusives, WOW this is lunch fare, Crab claws , prawns , shrimp, rib eye steaks , t-bones ,chicken ,salmon all cooked to ones liking and salads of all kinds all top brand alcohol. We had the option of eating dinner in the ala carte restaurants but where tired from travel and just went back for the dinner buffet- more crab claws, large scallops grilled and shrimp plus cocktails overlooking the sea crashing on rocks as the sun went down! It does not get better! Then a Variety show in a 3 acre open air theater at night with cocktails of choice. I liked that theater best think was in the Tropical resort which was the next one down.
I did read the negative about no wine list it is just red or white but well we suffered thru with unlimited top shelf cocktails.
We ate at the french ala carte one night as reccomended and wow! Started with warm lemon scented towels ,Champagne ,Salad was Crab and caviar with asparagus sauce presentation excellent, soup- Lobster cappucino wow to die for, Surf and turf with bernaise sauce a nice sized lobster tail with bernaise sauce over Filet- am sorry to say desserts looked fantastic but had my fill and could not order. I did like Adults as well as children where in sun dresses or nice shorts and tops, i think i saw 2 guys in blue jeans.
We did take snorkel gear as was easier than finding shop and returning, many fish to see just off beach and sea turtles, it is a little rocky in some spots but the beach goes on for several miles with chairs everywhere.
Speaking of chairs , I looked at people as pool people or beach people, pool people got up early and scurried around reserving their chairs -to much effort for me as we wanted to relax-beach people are quieter and do not reserve as there is shade if wanted or full sun and chairs as far as the eye could see, awww I can still see the palms and torqouse water with white sand beach.
The palace was more family orientated with children and did not find anyone ever annoying as there are sooooo many places to find what you are looking for.
We took trolley to far end of resort and spent day beachcombing back swimming in differant pools and trying cocktails at other resorts, there is a difference !! Cheaper alcohol and some pools showed wear, we where going to eat at one of the other resort grills but nothing compared to the palaces ! There where a few topless women on the beach but seemed like a normal thing -I did not mind!!!!
We also took taki into Carma del rey's fifth avenu for a morning shopping $18 us or $180 pesos, hmm with exchange rate much cheaper pesos but was a good 15 mile ride and taxi,s everywhere for return, was enjoyable and back to Pina Coladas and beach for lunch.
Did not need to bring any shave kit-soaps -shampoos-thooth brush as all supplied, and was nice touch with slippers and bathrobes .
Tipping I did if they went above and beyond but was not needed as all staff very nice and helpful.
My only complaint is I do not have one! Of all the places my wife and I have vacationed (in our 50,s) this will be hard to top, but I guess some people can always find some wrong- remember you are on vacation! You will not be dissapointed!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

i stayed at the palace from april 9th until april 16th 2009. my fiance and i had a wedding to attend there. it is a beautiful resort, not a single detail has ben skipped in building this place. every time you go for a walk you are amazed. i WOULD have recomended this place to all of my friends and family back in canada until our last day. i booked my vacation through conquest vacations. they declared bankruptcy on wednesday april 15th the day before we were to return home. on our departure day when i went to check out i was informed from reception that i owe them $2400 dollars for my vacation, and that i would need to pay before i would be allowed to leave. a small group of us argued that this problem was between conquest and barcelo and that we had already paid conquest and were not going to be paying them anything.we tried to leave in a taxi and were stopped and removed from the taxi and told that we must pay now.things were very heated between us and the security officers who were armed.we were forced to pay them and were held against our will at this resort because of something that we had no control over. this was by all acounts extortion not to mention just plain bad business tactics. after arriving at the airport i was informed by other people who travelled with conquest that some had to pay as well, however most of them said that there hotels were very understanding and accomidating to them during this time. there has to be better places to stay if you are wanting to visit the mayan. i would recommend this hotel to anyone who has no problem staying at a resort who conducts business this way, as for everyone else find a better resort or country to visit.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!